Section 7A Playoffs

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will move on to state?

Virginia
33%
I Falls
20%
Hibbing
23%
Duluth Marshall
13%
Duluth Central
5%
Duluth Central
5%
Eveleth
No votes
Greenway
3%
Silverbay
No votes
Ely
No votes

Total votes: 40

bronx18

Section 7A Playoffs

Post by bronx18 »

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/16 ... ason=20870 that is the link to the 2010 playoffs. Any predictions? scores? Who comes out on top?
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

Play In Games
Greenway over Two Harbors
Silver Bay over Ely

Quarter Finals
Virgina over Silver Bay
Central over Marshall [-o<
Hibbing over Eveleth
I Falls over Greenway (Closer than expected)

Semi Finals
Virgina over Central (And the end becomes official)
Hibbing over I Falls (Seeding was wrong on this one so you cant even say it is an upset)

Finals
Hibbing over Virginia (Should be an absolute classic rematch of last nights game) :D
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

Its extremely funny to think that Hibbing thinks that they are going to state this year. Int'l Falls and Virginia are going to be the Final two teams, the bluejackets mine as well go back to 7AA, where they were a few years ago. :lol:
Northern Minnesota, Now that's real Hockey!
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

mnhockeynemn wrote:Its extremely funny to think that Hibbing thinks that they are going to state this year. Int'l Falls and Virginia are going to be the Final two teams, the bluejackets mine as well go back to 7AA, where they were a few years ago. :lol:
I like the way you left out two harbors on the poll too, do they not count?
SRO12

Post by SRO12 »

IN THE PAST, THE SEMI IN HIBBING WAS IN THE AFTERNOON.
barnorthhockeyguy

Post by barnorthhockeyguy »

Prep Hockey North has the hibbing semi at 1:00 PM.
GoWild

Post by GoWild »

Hibbing should have been the 2 seed. But Ely was the team that really got screwed! They had a 2-1 record over SilverBay and 1-0-1 against Two Harbors but those two teams teamed up to screw Ely like every other year. The seedings should be based on records and not politics
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Should be a battle until the end, but I'm sticking with Virginia...
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

SR012 wrote:IN THE PAST, THE SEMI IN HIBBING WAS IN THE AFTERNOON.
barnorthhockeyguy wrote:Prep Hockey North has the hibbing semi at 1:00 PM.
The semifinal game in Hibbing will be in the afternoon. The game Hibbing plays in will be at night in Grand Rapids (assuming they win against Eveleth). It is set up this way to prevent Hibbing from having home ice advantage.

On a related note, I wish they would move the game out of Grand Rapids to a more central location. Of 10 teams in the section, only Greenway is within 30 miles of the arena. Some teams would have hauls of over two hours if they made it to this game. Hopefully they move it to Virginia after they renovate the arena there... or just move it to the Hippodrome in Eveleth. That would reduce travel to a maximum of about 1 hour 45 minutes for the farthest teams (Two Harbors and I Falls). The rest would be within an hour - or at least close to it.

Travel times to Grand Rapids (estimated):
Greenway ~15 minutes
Hibbing ~45 minutes
Virginia ~1 hour, 10 minutes
Eveleth ~1 hour, 15 minutes
Duluth Central ~1 hour, 45 minutes
Duluth Marshall ~1 hour, 45 minutes
Ely ~2 hours, 20 minutes
Two Harbors ~2 hours, 30 minutes
International Falls ~2 hours, 30 minutes
Silver Bay ~3 hours
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

GoWild wrote:Hibbing should have been the 2 seed. But Ely was the team that really got screwed! They had a 2-1 record over SilverBay and 1-0-1 against Two Harbors but those two teams teamed up to screw Ely like every other year. The seedings should be based on records and not politics
I do agree that Silver Bay and Two Harbors should be the bottom 2 as they are the weakest teams in section 7a.
BDfan

Post by BDfan »

PLAY IN GAMES
Ely over Silver Bay

QF
Virginia over Ely
Central over Marshall
Hibbing over E-G
I Falls over Greenway

SF
Virginia over Central
I Falls over Hibbing

FINALS
Virginia over I Falls in OT
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

[quote="BDfan"]PLAY IN GAMES
Ely over Silver Bay

QF
Virginia over Ely
Central over Marshall
Hibbing over E-G
I Falls over Greenway

SF
Virginia over Central
I Falls over Hibbing

FINALS
Virginia vs I Falls I would love to see that final. The decc would literally be full.
duluthhockey17

Post by duluthhockey17 »

I can't wait to see how far Central goes. Their goalie better be ready for 60 shots against Marshall
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

it will be interesting. hibbing has beaten i falls the last few years in the semi and history has and will repeat itself and they will be playong virginia at the decc. will an ifalls player try to start a fight with a top guy on hibbing this year will be the question!
nine mile

Post by nine mile »

While Silver Bay and Two Harbors may combined to field a JV team this season they rarely if ever agree on anything else,especially as far as giving one or the other a seeding break.I follow Silver Bay and the consensus before the seeding was that the Mariners would be playing in Ely,so the #8 seed came as a surprise to them also.
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

dirtracing17 wrote:it will be interesting. hibbing has beaten i falls the last few years in the semi and history has and will repeat itself and they will be playong virginia at the decc. will an ifalls player try to start a fight with a top guy on hibbing this year will be the question!
=D> very entertaining wheres the popcorn, also i'm confused Hibbing has a top guy NOW? :lol:
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

Let me start by saying I am not from Hibbing. I picked Hibbing to win the section and am very confused by I Falls getting seeded higher. It seems like there is a lot of hatred toward Hibbing on this board and apparently from section coaches. Can anyone explain the lack of love for Hibbing?
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

curtiscurve wrote:Let me start by saying I am not from Hibbing. I picked Hibbing to win the section and am very confused by I Falls getting seeded higher. It seems like there is a lot of hatred toward Hibbing on this board and apparently from section coaches. Can anyone explain the lack of love for Hibbing?
Whether you are from Hibbing or not doesn't really matter, but these are two big reasons.

1. They move down in to the lowest possible section they can in every sport they can. Example they were in class AA for Hockey for a very long time til the past few years and switched til single A and now they are by far the biggest school in the section. In conclusion to that, it's an easier shot to win against smaller schools and send them to state.

2. Hibbing has always been known to play very dirty. I have watched many different games. Not just my hometown team, but other teams, all say hibbing always plays a dirty game. And then if they lose, or something thats not in their favor they try their hardest to argue their way out of it.

Thats it in a nutshell.
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

mnhockeynemn wrote:
curtiscurve wrote:Let me start by saying I am not from Hibbing. I picked Hibbing to win the section and am very confused by I Falls getting seeded higher. It seems like there is a lot of hatred toward Hibbing on this board and apparently from section coaches. Can anyone explain the lack of love for Hibbing?
Whether you are from Hibbing or not doesn't really matter, but these are two big reasons.

1. They move down in to the lowest possible section they can in every sport they can. Example they were in class AA for Hockey for a very long time til the past few years and switched til single A and now they are by far the biggest school in the section. In conclusion to that, it's an easier shot to win against smaller schools and send them to state.

2. Hibbing has always been known to play very dirty. I have watched many different games. Not just my hometown team, but other teams, all say hibbing always plays a dirty game. And then if they lose, or something thats not in their favor they try their hardest to argue their way out of it.

Thats it in a nutshell.
what do you call wanting to fight jamnick last year once you guys realized you werent gonna win?
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

dirtracing17 wrote:
mnhockeynemn wrote:

Thats it in a nutshell.
what do you call wanting to fight jamnick last year once you guys realized you werent gonna win?
I would sum it up in one word (revenge) \:D/
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

mnhockeynemn wrote:
dirtracing17 wrote:
mnhockeynemn wrote: Whether you are from Hibbing or not doesn't really matter, but these are two big reasons.

Thats it in a nutshell.
I would sum it up in one word (revenge) \:D/
revenge for what? you guys beat us the game before last year. i like how you all say it was the refs fault in hibbing with the virginia game yet dont say what the bad calls were. and its not just on here. (facebook to)
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

PuckRanger wrote:
The semifinal game in Hibbing will be in the afternoon. The game Hibbing plays in will be at night in Grand Rapids (assuming they win against Eveleth). It is set up this way to prevent Hibbing from having home ice advantage.

On a related note, I wish they would move the game out of Grand Rapids to a more central location. Of 10 teams in the section, only Greenway is within 30 miles of the arena. Some teams would have hauls of over two hours if they made it to this game. Hopefully they move it to Virginia after they renovate the arena there... or just move it to the Hippodrome in Eveleth. That would reduce travel to a maximum of about 1 hour 45 minutes for the farthest teams (Two Harbors and I Falls). The rest would be within an hour - or at least close to it.

Greenway ~15 minutes
Hibbing ~45 minutes
Ely ~2 hours, 20 minutes
Silver Bay ~3 hours
there is no other arena that has the seats to hold the amount of people for a semi game other than rapids.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

ryno44 wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:

Greenway ~15 minutes
Hibbing ~45 minutes
Ely ~2 hours, 20 minutes
Silver Bay ~3 hours
there is no other arena that has the seats to hold the amount of people for a semi game other than rapids.
I thought Miners had a 2,500 capacity.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
goingbardown13

Post by goingbardown13 »

ryno44 wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:

Greenway ~15 minutes
Hibbing ~45 minutes
Ely ~2 hours, 20 minutes
Silver Bay ~3 hours

I really wish one of the semi games would be in the falls. Then the other teams would know what its like for the falls to have to travel and the arena holds plenty of seats
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

mnhockeynemn wrote:
BDfan wrote:PLAY IN GAMES
Ely over Silver Bay

QF
Virginia over Ely
Central over Marshall
Hibbing over E-G
I Falls over Greenway

SF
Virginia over Central
I Falls over Hibbing

FINALS
Virginia vs I Falls I would love to see that final. The decc would literally be full.
Funny how you Falls people think you will beat Hibbing. The decc is full almost every year for this final game. Last year was one of the packed games i've seen there. You guys have more size than Hibbing but that doesn't mean you will beat them. You and Virginia fans can hope all you want that Hibbing will loose in the semis but it probably won't happen.

Section Final game will be a better game than last year.