Section 7A Playoffs

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will move on to state?

Virginia
33%
I Falls
20%
Hibbing
23%
Duluth Marshall
13%
Duluth Central
5%
Duluth Central
5%
Eveleth
No votes
Greenway
3%
Silverbay
No votes
Ely
No votes

Total votes: 40

ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

east hockey wrote:
ryno44 wrote:
PuckRanger wrote: The semifinal game in Hibbing will be in the afternoon. The game Hibbing plays in will be at night in Grand Rapids (assuming they win against Eveleth). It is set up this way to prevent Hibbing from having home ice advantage.

On a related note, I wish they would move the game out of Grand Rapids to a more central location. Of 10 teams in the section, only Greenway is within 30 miles of the arena. Some teams would have hauls of over two hours if they made it to this game. Hopefully they move it to Virginia after they renovate the arena there... or just move it to the Hippodrome in Eveleth. That would reduce travel to a maximum of about 1 hour 45 minutes for the farthest teams (Two Harbors and I Falls). The rest would be within an hour - or at least close to it.

Travel times to Grand Rapids (estimated):
Greenway ~15 minutes
Hibbing ~45 minutes
Virginia ~1 hour, 10 minutes
Eveleth ~1 hour, 15 minutes
Duluth Central ~1 hour, 45 minutes
Duluth Marshall ~1 hour, 45 minutes
Ely ~2 hours, 20 minutes
Two Harbors ~2 hours, 30 minutes
International Falls ~2 hours, 30 minutes
Silver Bay ~3 hours
there is no other arena that has the seats to hold the amount of people for a semi game other than rapids.
I thought Miners had a 2,500 capacity.

Lee
I don't know but Rapids looks bigger. Its also nicer.
goingbardown13

Post by goingbardown13 »

ryno44 wrote:
mnhockeynemn wrote:
BDfan wrote:PLAY IN GAMES
Greenway over Two Harbors
Ely over Silver Bay

QF
Virginia over Ely
Central over Marshall
Hibbing over E-G
I Falls over Greenway

SF
Virginia over Central
I Falls over Hibbing

FINALS
Virginia vs I Falls I would love to see that final. The decc would literally be full.
Funny how you Falls people think you will beat Hibbing. The decc is full almost every year for this final game. Last year was one of the packed games i've seen there. You guys have more size than Hibbing but that doesn't mean you will beat them. You and Virginia fans can hope all you want that Hibbing will loose in the semis but it probably won't happen.

Section Final game will be a better game than last year.
Its funny how you are forgetting the last game between the two. Falls won and it was in hibbing. I think if both teams make it to the semis(which they Should) it will be a very good. But i think the falls wins but if glen walls is still hurt for it then i think hibbing will
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

dirtracing17 wrote:
mnhockeynemn wrote:
dirtracing17 wrote: what do you call wanting to fight jamnick last year once you guys realized you werent gonna win?
I would sum it up in one word (revenge) \:D/
revenge for what? you guys beat us the game before last year. i like how you all say it was the refs fault in hibbing with the virginia game yet dont say what the bad calls were. and its not just on here. (facebook to)
I'm not the one saying its blaming the ref's for the games that we lose, that would by your buddy ryno44. Almost every game has some iffy calls but I don't go and blame the whole loss on them and then write about it. Big difference there.
Northern Minnesota, Now that's real Hockey!
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

i will gladly list what i and rapids people thought should have been called on rapids in that game. yes i did say rapids fans. and the falls won the game last year before they met in rapids for the other guy on here.
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

dirtracing17 wrote:i will gladly list what i and rapids people thought should have been called on rapids in that game. yes i did say rapids fans. and the falls won the game last year before they met in rapids for the other guy on here.
What other guy on here are you talking about? Also I noticed you just joined yesterday and now all the sudden you are posting like crazy, it almost seems like this is a multiple account. [-X
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

mnhockeynemn wrote:
dirtracing17 wrote:i will gladly list what i and rapids people thought should have been called on rapids in that game. yes i did say rapids fans. and the falls won the game last year before they met in rapids for the other guy on here.
What other guy on here are you talking about? Also I noticed you just joined yesterday and now all the sudden you are posting like crazy, it almost seems like this is a multiple account. [-X
ive actually been reading on here for awhile. ask lee if this is a multiple account. its not. i just dont get why everything about hibbing on here your on saying how there not AA. were not on your threads talking up the other teams.
goingbardown13

Post by goingbardown13 »

mnhockeynemn wrote:
slow it down buddy your making the rest of the falls fans look bad...
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

but i am iching to know what the revenge was for?
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

east hockey wrote:
ryno44 wrote:
PuckRanger wrote: The semifinal game in Hibbing will be in the afternoon. The game Hibbing plays in will be at night in Grand Rapids (assuming they win against Eveleth). It is set up this way to prevent Hibbing from having home ice advantage.

On a related note, I wish they would move the game out of Grand Rapids to a more central location. Of 10 teams in the section, only Greenway is within 30 miles of the arena. Some teams would have hauls of over two hours if they made it to this game. Hopefully they move it to Virginia after they renovate the arena there... or just move it to the Hippodrome in Eveleth. That would reduce travel to a maximum of about 1 hour 45 minutes for the farthest teams (Two Harbors and I Falls). The rest would be within an hour - or at least close to it.

Greenway ~15 minutes
Hibbing ~45 minutes
Ely ~2 hours, 20 minutes
Silver Bay ~3 hours
there is no other arena that has the seats to hold the amount of people for a semi game other than rapids.

Lee
The miners sucks. Period.
The fighting team has a hockey problem
BDfan

Post by BDfan »

nickmon3 wrote:
east hockey wrote:
ryno44 wrote: there is no other arena that has the seats to hold the amount of people for a semi game other than rapids.

Lee
it this because you always loose there?
I personally don't care for the Hibbing Memorial... seats are too far away from the ice and if you sit towards the front you can't see anything
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

so you must not like the warth of hibbing. personally hermantowns is the worse and i think marshall has the nicest around with rapids close. in the miners, the seats are to high, you go up to high and some of your view is blocked by those pillars. i say hermantowns is the worse cause its so cold.
BDfan

Post by BDfan »

dirtracing17 wrote:so you must not like the warth of hibbing. personally hermantowns is the worse and i think marshall has the nicest around with rapids close. in the miners, the seats are to high, you go up to high and some of your view is blocked by those pillars. i say hermantowns is the worse cause its so cold.
MARS? it has seating on one side and barely has enough room when there is a big game. My favorite is the Heritage seating close to the ice and even behind the net.

anyways... to get back on topic...
the hibbing/falls semi final game with be more exciting and intense game than the virginia/marshall or central game
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

east hockey wrote:
ryno44 wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:
The semifinal game in Hibbing will be in the afternoon. The game Hibbing plays in will be at night in Grand Rapids (assuming they win against Eveleth). It is set up this way to prevent Hibbing from having home ice advantage.

Greenway ~15 minutes
Hibbing ~45 minutes
Ely ~2 hours, 20 minutes
Silver Bay ~3 hours

Lee
It did. However, a few rows have been removed behind the official scorers and penalty box area in recent years to make room for a walkway below, plus they installed an elevator that took up some seats as part of the ongoing renovation project. My guess is it would be about a 2000 capacity with about 300 of those being obstructed view seats. That is going to change soon, however, with the installation of seats (not benches) and the removal of the walkway that goes right through the middle of the seating sections.

Anyway, I beleive the Hippodrome actually holds more people because the seating rings the entire arena. I think they list the capacity there as 3,000 and they did have the section 7 semis there back when it was still a one class afair... I recall watching Virginia beat Greenway 3-2 on a Garret Plotnick hat trick in the 1991 Section 7 semis, so its not unprecedented.
GoWild

Post by GoWild »

[quote="nine mile"]While Silver Bay and Two Harbors may combined to field a JV team this season they rarely if ever agree on anything else,especially as far as giving one or the other a seeding break.I follow Silver Bay and the consensus before the seeding was that the Mariners would be playing in Ely,so the #8 seed came as a surprise to them also.[/quote]

they both voted ely at the 9 th seed so they teamed up. Next year they may combine teams and both coaches still want to coach so they gave silverbay a higher seed plain and simple
nine mile

Post by nine mile »

My understanding is that you can't vote for yourself so Silver Bay would have no choise but to vote Ely in at 8 out of 9 places if this is true.
GoWild

Post by GoWild »

[quote="nine mile"]My understanding is that you can't vote for yourself so Silver Bay would have no choise but to vote Ely in at 8 out of 9 places if this is true.[/quote]

that is true but there are 10 seeds smart one so each team votes for 9 teams since you can't vote for yourself. So Silverbay put Ely at 9 and Two Harbors at 8 and Two Harbors put Silver Bay at 8 and Ely at 9 so that alone put Ely at the 9 out of 10 seeds. So pretty much they combined to screw Ely over
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

BDfan wrote:
nickmon3 wrote:
east hockey wrote: I thought Miners had a 2,500 capacity.

Lee
it this because you always loose there?
I personally don't care for the Hibbing Memorial... seats are too far away from the ice and if you sit towards the front you can't see anything
The reason they are so far away is because the boards used to be right up to the seats but they shortened the corners. Look sometime at the ground and you will see where they poured the concrete to fill in. Hibbing is nice with the amount of seats for watching a big game. I would personally rather watch hockey at Virginia rather than Mars or the other arenas because their are more seats.
BDfan

Post by BDfan »

Anyone of the top 3 and maybe Marshall depending on which team shows up to play, has a shot at winning this section
ryno44

Post by ryno44 »

BDfan wrote:Anyone of the top 3 and maybe Marshall depending on which team shows up to play, has a shot at winning this section
falls is out. they won't win it
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

ryno44 wrote:
BDfan wrote:Anyone of the top 3 and maybe Marshall depending on which team shows up to play, has a shot at winning this section
falls is out. they won't win it
I agree, hibbing and virginia are the only two teams who have a chance at goin to state.
The fighting team has a hockey problem
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

dirtracing17 wrote:but i am itching to know what the revenge was for?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

This is the Falls section - they wont lose unless they make the mistakes.

Hibbing cannot beat Falls and Virginia in back to back games. Nor could Marshall play 3 games in a row to win.

Virginia could win it, but beating the Falls on neutral ice will be difficult.

Duluth Central, last year for the school, people will support them, maybe the first game could be a win, but not 3 in a row.
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

i thought the falls were gonna beat hibbing last year in the semi? nobody has told me why this is different except "there gonna loose"
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

Falls fans said the same thing last year and the year before but Hibbing finds a way to win at IRA come playoff time. 6,7 in a row there. And how many were they underdogs? 6,7, all of them. Hibbing wins at IRA, bottom line. A rematch of last years championship is inevitable. Should be a good game and I'm obviously picking Hibbing who I believe is the better team.
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

dirtracing17 wrote:i thought the falls were gonna beat hibbing last year in the semi? nobody has told me why this is different except "there gonna loose"
Loose and Lose are two very different words :!:

When it comes to the state hockey tournament I always try to root for the 7A and 7AA teams. I will agree on this the past two times Virginia/MIB went to state including last year was pretty hard to watch, not sure if it was just unexperience because it was only there 2nd state trip ever. Hibbing has went to state quite a few times in the past few years and has proven to do well. Int'l Falls has also done well when making it, although they haven't won the state section champions since 02-03, they did do good there, and had a great team in 2003 and the past few years. It makes it very hard though when you teams teams constantly switch sections like Hermantown, Duluth Marshall, Central, Denfeld, Proctor Etc. What I am asking is that we try and set aside the drama and bring some good sportsmanship in the games. I wouldn't count the Falls out as you say, just like I wouldn't call Marshall out yet despite their 7-2 loss to Virginia, Everyone knows in sections anything can happen. I still say all top 4 teams have a good chance at state and none should be counted out as this point. :wink: