Is Minnetonka Jinxed?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Trojanhorse

Is Minnetonka Jinxed?

Post by Trojanhorse »

Does anyone know the history behind the Minnetonka jinx going back to the old Met Center?

They had Wayzata last night, but gave up a last minute goal to tie.
They have a long history of section final losses, from a blown 2-goal lead in 2008 all the way back to series of section final losses in the1980s.
They lost the marathon 'overnight game" to Apple Valley
Minnetonka has no high school state championships.
Factsmatter1

Re: Is Minnetonka Jinxed?

Post by Factsmatter1 »

Trojanhorse wrote:Does anyone know the history behind the Minnetonka jinx going back to the old Met Center?

They have a long history of section final losses, from a blown 2-goal lead in 2008 all the way back to series of section final losses in the1980s.
sounds like wishful thinking from Trojanland... :lol:

However, you are correct they did give away the game with less than a minute to go. It is interesting that they had Edina 4-3 with about 3 minutes to go as they had Wayzata with less than one minute and their star defense couldn't put it away. Maybe they should put their PK out their as they seem to be pretty good. Maybe the defense is so offensively minded they can't or won't go to shut down mode in the final minutes...
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The marathon 4 OT loss at state was to Jefferson, but it is true they've lost a lot of section final games since the mid 80's, some of them quite heartbreaking. However, they have been to state 4 times during this same time frame so there's been some section finals success. ;)

btw - how has Wayzata done in sections and state during this time frame? :P
blueblood

Jinxed?

Post by blueblood »

Tonka jinxed, maybe.

But not as much as WBL.....
Play Like a Champion Today
pondpucker13

Post by pondpucker13 »

I wouldn't say the last minute goal was a defensive breakdown as much as it was a great play by Lucia. Wayzata was in desperation mode and Lucia got rewarded for crashing the net on a mess in the goal mouth.
I get older they stay the same age, alright alright
High_Plains_Dangler

Post by High_Plains_Dangler »

Slap Shot wrote:The marathon 4 OT loss at state was to Jefferson, but it is true they've lost a lot of section final games since the mid 80's, some of them quite heartbreaking. However, they have been to state 4 times during this same time frame so there's been some section finals success. ;)

btw - how has Wayzata done in sections and state during this time frame? :P
I believe 1 section title since 1955... :lol:
Relax, Take it slow, and Let the Good Times Roll
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Trojanhorse wrote: They lost the marathon 'overnight game" to Apple Valley
Duluth East lost that game.
Go Hounds.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

EHSHack wrote:
Trojanhorse wrote: They lost the marathon 'overnight game" to Apple Valley
Duluth East lost that game.
That overnight game he referred to was to Jefferson in '85 when they had to stop the game and finish it the next morning.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

thanks for the correction.

This Tonka team is older (and deeper) than either EP or Wayzata, but not really more experienced. The EP boys have been winning championships for years, including HS last year. The younger Wayzata boys have been in the State tournament every year since Peewees and have won both PW and Bantam state championships. It will be interesting to see which of these teams can perform with the section on the line.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Trojanhorse wrote:Does anyone know the history behind the Minnetonka jinx going back to the old Met Center?

Jinx?
Voodoo nonsense.
Convenient excuse, only bought into by idiots.
Minnetonka merely has some issues finishing.

I blame.............the alignment of the moons of Saturn.......:::::: snicker ::::
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Perhaps the girls team (ranked 2nd in state) losing in sections this year already used up their bad mojo. ;)
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Slap Shot wrote:Perhaps the girls team (ranked 2nd in state) losing in sections this year already used up their bad mojo. ;)
Don't think so. 2007 AHA boys and girls lost to Burnsville in both section finals. no MOJO anywhere. You have to come to play, no excuse.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Apparently the meaning of the wink wasn't as obvious as I thought.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

Trojanhorse wrote: This Tonka team is older (and deeper) than either EP or Wayzata, but not really more experienced. The EP boys have been winning championships for years, including HS last year. The younger Wayzata boys have been in the State tournament every year since Peewees and have won both PW and Bantam state championships. It will be interesting to see which of these teams can perform with the section on the line.
Excellent points Trojan. No doubt this is going to be a very fun tournament and sections should be one of the highlights - especially 6AA.
Anyone know myfoxhockey's coverage schedule?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Doglover wrote:
Trojanhorse wrote: This Tonka team is older (and deeper) than either EP or Wayzata, but not really more experienced. The EP boys have been winning championships for years, including HS last year. The younger Wayzata boys have been in the State tournament every year since Peewees and have won both PW and Bantam state championships. It will be interesting to see which of these teams can perform with the section on the line.
Excellent points Trojan. No doubt this is going to be a very fun tournament and sections should be one of the highlights - especially 6AA.
Looks like they've got the 2AA and 6AA championships but nothing else. :?
Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 »

karl(east) wrote:
Doglover wrote:
Looks like they've got the 2AA and 6AA championships but nothing else. :?
Would like to see the Troj back up the older comment above. Looks to me like Wayzata and Tonka are the same in terms of Upper/under classmen. No backup = Homer...
Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy »

Stupid topic. Just because you don't have state championship caliber teams, doesn't mean you're "jinxed". It means you need to hit the weight room a little harder in the off season and lay it all on the line during the games.

It's sad to see the media consensus 1, 2 and 3 teams all in the same section. If the state champion doesn't come out of 6AA this year I will be shocked.
Stay Classy, Minnesota.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Papa Bergundy wrote:It's sad to see the media consensus 1, 2 and 3 teams all in the same section. If the state champion doesn't come out of 6AA this year I will be shocked.
Not me. Section 6AA only gets one representative, and as we've seen countless times before, anything can happen in the State Tournament.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

Agree with MNHockeyfan Papa. Anything can happen at State and 6AA only gets one rep. There could be a fluke win in sections and then 6AA could easily get beat at State. That being said, I still think it's Minnetonka's to lose but there are lots of competitive teams this year.
Glad the Target Center games will be covered.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Doglover wrote:Agree with MNHockeyfan Papa. Anything can happen at State and 6AA only gets one rep. There could be a fluke win in sections and then 6AA could easily get beat at State. That being said, I still think it's Minnetonka's to lose but there are lots of competitive teams this year.
Glad the Target Center games will be covered.
Too bad the joint is for basketball and not hockey. 1999 and 2000 the ice and boards were terrible. They swayed like the north wind was coming.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Would like to see the Troj back up the older comment above. .[/quote]

Tonka= 9 seniors; 4 underclassmen

Wayz= 7 seniors; 5 underclassmen

Tonka plays mostly SR D, including all their best ones.
Wayzata plays one SR D and relies on 11 and 10 graders

7 of Tonka's top 8 scorers are seniors
3 of Wayzata's top 8 scoreres are seniors

Being a homer does not make you wrong!
nikebauer05

Post by nikebauer05 »

Trojanhorse wrote:Would like to see the Troj back up the older comment above. .

Tonka= 9 seniors; 4 underclassmen

Wayz= 7 seniors; 5 underclassmen

Tonka plays mostly SR D, including all their best ones.
Wayzata plays one SR D and relies on 11 and 10 graders

7 of Tonka's top 8 scorers are seniors
3 of Wayzata's top 8 scoreres are seniors

Being a homer does not make you wrong![/quote]

I'm wondering where you're getting your stats from. Minnetonka has 4 out of the top 9 points leaders not being seniors. And 3 of the top 7 goal leaders are not seniors.
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

I think Mtka needs to tighten up the ship, so to speak. The forwards need to help more in the D zone against the stiffer competition. The big d man need to play physical and beat the other team to loose pucks in the defensive zone and also the Neutral from what i have seen. Krueger has played well and kept them in the 2 Wayzata games, and that may be the section final.
whoknew

Post by whoknew »

Couldn't agree more. From what I saw Thursday, the D were a big disappointment. There seemed to be little effort to win the race to the puck in the defensive zone, and Wayzata skated pretty freely through the neutral zone. The forwards did little to help out. Unless the D play more aggressively and physically to prevent scoring chances, and take over as they have in prior games, this team won't make it through sections. Can this team score goals? Sure, but that won't win you the game.
Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 »

wingmaster wrote:I think Mtka needs to tighten up the ship, so to speak. The forwards need to help more in the D zone against the stiffer competition. The big d man need to play physical and beat the other team to loose pucks in the defensive zone and also the Neutral from what i have seen. Krueger has played well and kept them in the 2 Wayzata games, and that may be the section final.
Not saying that the Tonka D and F don't need to tighten up the ship a bit. They haven't been too challenged all season and I thought they were sloppy against Wayzata in the third period second game... but you can't really say with a straight face that Krueger kept them in the game when Tonka outshot Wayzata 44-32. I think that may have been true for first game but Wayzata was lucky to get the draw in the second game... tell me we don't have another homer... :cry:

BTW, Tonka only has 8 SR according to the Hub... :?