#1 Warroad (23-4) v.#2ThiefRiverFalls(19-7-1)3-4-10 7pm @EGF

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who represents 8A at state?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:20 am

Thief River Falls Prowlers
53%
Warroad Warriors
47%

Total votes: 38

HShockeywatcher

#1 Warroad (23-4) v.#2ThiefRiverFalls(19-7-1)3-4-10 7pm @EGF

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Each team has won their won meeting 2-1, with TRF winning the more recent meeting. Should be a very good game played on neutral ice.
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

TRF takes this again...

2-1 OT
Always celly hard.
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Warroad wins this one by 4, 3 for #3.
HShockeywatcher

I'm curious why games like this don't have their site changed.

TRF is about an hour and a half from EGF and Warroad is another 2 hour drive. Why make each of these schools drive so far instead of having it in a town an hour away from both schools?

I really think there should be flexible scheduling for playoffs/state in sports.
HSS

Post by HSS »

HShockeywatcher wrote:I'm curious why games like this don't have their site changed.

TRF is about an hour and a half from EGF and Warroad is another 2 hour drive. Why make each of these schools drive so far instead of having it in a town an hour away from both schools?

I really think there should be flexible scheduling for playoffs/state in sports.
If you allow changing of the location, then you get into a situation like Roseau and Moorhead where both parties are lobbying for the site they want. I think it needs to be on a rotation, which is what 8A does. If your arena meets the criteria of seating, etc. then you can be on the rotation. Then there are no arguments over site.

However, in today's economy of shrinking budgets it wouldn't make sense to send Moorhead and Roseau down to St. Cloud, which is why it got changed in the first place.

So, I guess you leave it like it is and go to a coin flip or paper rock scissors, or whoever has the biggest skate.
spectator

Post by spectator »

Warroad will walk away with this one for sure, everyone listen to TheDON on this one.
HShockeywatcher

HSS wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:I'm curious why games like this don't have their site changed.

If you allow changing of the location, then you get into a situation like Roseau and Moorhead where both parties are lobbying for the site they want. I think it needs to be on a rotation, which is what 8A does. If your arena meets the criteria of seating, etc. then you can be on the rotation. Then there are no arguments over site.
I understand what you're saying. For a section like 4A, all of the schools are near Aldrich and the drive is around a half hour or less for all.

Rotating or not, does it make sense for TRF fans to drive an hour and a half and Warroad fans to drive basically past TRF to get to see the section game? Plus, I would bet that both of these towns will have high attendance, which will affect the town/schools.

I am not familiar with the area, but I did a googlemaps search; there must be a hockey arena in the Greenbush area, heck even Roseau would be more neutral/economical.

You see this in football, for state/section finals the sites are predetermined and many are way out of the way for both schools.
mnhockeynemn

Post by mnhockeynemn »

Is this game Televised?
Northern Minnesota, Now that's real Hockey!
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Section 8A does sections the right way. Right now it is on a three team rotation, EGF, TRF, then Warroad get a turn to host the tournament. There is no arguing or lobbying to play the game here or there everyone knows where it will be played and you can look 5 years down the road and know where it will be played.

Does the new crox rink have the seating/facilities to get thrown in the mix? I thought i heard the visiting locker rooms didn't have showers, that true?

And last, no. Greenbush doesn't have a hockey rink. :lol:
Goal

Post by Goal »

I will take the team with better goaltending and deffense which is Thief River Falls. I think they will capatilize on their offensive chances and have a solid deffensive game.

Thief River Falls 2
Warroad 1
Might take a couple overtimes.
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

Warroad comes out to kill...5-2
HShockeywatcher

TheDon wrote: And last, no. Greenbush doesn't have a hockey rink. :lol:
I believe I said near; there's one in Hallock, MN. [-o<

http://www.hallockmn.org/recreation.htm
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
TheDon wrote: And last, no. Greenbush doesn't have a hockey rink. :lol:
I believe I said near; there's one in Hallock, MN. [-o<

http://www.hallockmn.org/recreation.htm
The only sufficient rinks for a section final up north would be the three rinks mentioned in the rotation, Crookston, Roseau, and possibly Bemidji.

Word is that Crookston is trying very hard to get in the rotation for the boy's section tournaments, and have already been assured a rotation spot for the girl's side. Crookston is still about a 2 hour drive for Warroad, and about a half hour for TRF.

Roseau you would think could be a possible location, but they just don't have the seating. Even a Roseau/Warroad game will get 2000 people or so when the rink technically seats about 1200, not enough for a section championship.

Lastly, Bemidji would be the same as EGF as it is along highway 2 for TRF, but essentially the same distance there as EGF. It is also about 2 hours for Warroad, just like EGF.

No matter how you slice it, there is not a rink that makes as much economic and geographical sense for 8A moving sites as does moving from St Cloud does for 8AA. Let the rinks rotate, and every so often you deal with a little more travel, but at least it is consistent year in and year out. ps Warroad in 2OT, ill say 3-2
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Plus up here we don't much care if we have to drive an hour or three to play or watch a game. In the cities the furthest away game is about a half hour, up here thats as close as an away game gets...we're used to it, it's a non issue.

My prediction still stands, put your money on it :arrow:
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

TheDon wrote:Section 8A does sections the right way. Right now it is on a three team rotation, EGF, TRF, then Warroad get a turn to host the tournament. There is no arguing or lobbying to play the game here or there everyone knows where it will be played and you can look 5 years down the road and know where it will be played.

Does the new crox rink have the seating/facilities to get thrown in the mix? I thought i heard the visiting locker rooms didn't have showers, that true?

Middle River has a nice outdoor rink on the river, seating to accomodate a good thousand, and only a block from the "Rusty Nail" for refreshments... :shock:

So, to the game, it will be the goaltending that decides this one, as Goal stated above, I agree, the "Teefs" have the goaltender...

TRF 3
Warroad 2
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

DmanDad1980 wrote:
TheDon wrote:Section 8A does sections the right way. Right now it is on a three team rotation, EGF, TRF, then Warroad get a turn to host the tournament. There is no arguing or lobbying to play the game here or there everyone knows where it will be played and you can look 5 years down the road and know where it will be played.

Middle River has a nice outdoor rink on the river, seating to accomodate a good thousand, and only a block from the "Rusty Nail" for refreshments... :shock:

So, to the game, it will be the goaltending that decides this one, as Goal stated above, I agree, the "Teefs" have the goaltender...

TRF 3
Warroad 2
Sorry Dman.......the "Rusty Nail" is in TRF....."The Wheel" is in Middle River, great bar.

:D
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

TRF - 3
Warroad - 2

TRF gets a couple early goals and the Warriors can't recover.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:

TRF 3
Warroad 2
Sorry Dman.......the "Rusty Nail" is in TRF....."The Wheel" is in Middle River, great bar.

The Wheel is a great bar, but why play on the river in Middle River when they have an outdoor rink with boards and warming house up the street about 3-4 blocks from the bar (and yes there are that many blocks in Middle River ha)
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

mn miracle man wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote: Middle River has a nice outdoor rink on the river, seating to accomodate a good thousand, and only a block from the "Rusty Nail" for refreshments... :shock:

TRF 3
Warroad 2

The Wheel is a great bar, but why play on the river in Middle River when they have an outdoor rink with boards and warming house up the street about 3-4 blocks from the bar (and yes there are that many blocks in Middle River ha)
Thanks Ogee...

Wheel... Nail... after all the years trekking north for deer hunting, they all blend together... :lol:

Sorry, duly noted... :oops: ... :D
Evcat99

Post by Evcat99 »

MNHockey75 wrote:TRF - 3
Warroad - 2

TRF gets a couple early goals and the Warriors can't recover.
TRF will be lucky to get 2 goals...My prediction.
4-1 Marvin Windows.
defense

Post by defense »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
HSS wrote:

I understand what you're saying. For a section like 4A, all of the schools are near Aldrich and the drive is around a half hour or less for all.

Rotating or not, does it make sense for TRF fans to drive an hour and a half and Warroad fans to drive basically past TRF to get to see the section game? Plus, I would bet that both of these towns will have high attendance, which will affect the town/schools.

I am not familiar with the area, but I did a googlemaps search; there must be a hockey arena in the Greenbush area, heck even Roseau would be more neutral/economical.

You see this in football, for state/section finals the sites are predetermined and many are way out of the way for both schools.
Nope, in that area there are no other rinks that make sense except EGF. They are lucky they will play this one neutral. Roseau would make little sense, like 10 miles from Warroad, and not the seating required. They actually do PACK arenas up there for regular season games. A nice piece of info for you would be that Thief River Falls' old arena, the Huck or HOMCC, was also in the rotation, they took a huge step up with the mini ralph but the huck was on the same level or above the one in EGF. now they have the best high school rink in the country. They really do love hockey up there.

Almost forgot abou the game: I believe the team that represents Warroad high school will win by a few.....though I hope Thief takes it.
SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

Marvin 5

Kitty Cat 2

Can't wait to go!.....anyone is need of a Cabela's club card before the game come on in and let me know :wink:
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

what i want to know is why the fish take was half shut down last week. i was not happy
SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

25 sheet power wrote:what i want to know is why the fish take was half shut down last week. i was not happy
They are cleaning/changing part of it rite now...sorry about that :)
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke
Doug McKenzie

Post by Doug McKenzie »

Good Luck to both teams as they try to advance to the JV State Tournament.