General atmosphere

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 »

I also believe that it has become more of a "social hour" for some of these schools. I remember being a middle schooler or freshmen and we would get rowdy and crowd surf or chant some nasty things at our rivals (AV and Rosemount for EV). Now I look into the student sections and there are guys tryin to pick up chicks, girls literally doing there nails and the absolute worst part was some girl getting mad because a guy bumped her when he was doing a little "chant" where they move their bodies...

I think that partially stems from a team making it to many times in a row, the expectation of getting there. Another would be that the school officials are very very liberal and do not allow for good chants.

Also, look at the amount of ppl in the ex the last 2 nights... NOT EVEN FULL! Either the economy is really killin the tourney or ppl are losing interest because when they showed the stands the last 2 days, it has not been full.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I think you're right that the same teams every year make it kind of blah.

Since 1975 only two teams outside of Hill-Murray and White Bear Lake have represented that section; North St Paul in 1981 and Tartan in 2004. That's two teams (WB Mariner went once) That's 34 times in 36 years, not a very competitive section.

Since going to 2 classes in 1992 section 8 has been represented by either Moorhead or Roseau every year except 1, Alexandria in 1996.
greatone

Post by greatone »

I just watched that first game today, but it sure looked like the place was nuts for a single A game. Both teams looked like they were pretty well represented. I will be there tonight and hopefully not disappointed!!!
stpaul

4AA

Post by stpaul »

goldy313 wrote:I think you're right that the same teams every year make it kind of blah.

Since 1975 only two teams outside of Hill-Murray and White Bear Lake have represented that section; North St Paul in 1981 and Tartan in 2004. That's two teams (WB Mariner went once) That's 34 times in 36 years, not a very competitive section.

Since going to 2 classes in 1992 section 8 has been represented by either Moorhead or Roseau every year except 1, Alexandria in 1996.
Correction - it was Centennial in 2004. They beat HM 3-2 in the final & went on to win the State Title. Tartan was in 2AA back then and won that section in 2004 & 2005.
Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 »

newsguy35 wrote:I also believe that it has become more of a "social hour" for some of these schools. I remember being a middle schooler or freshmen and we would get rowdy and crowd surf or chant some nasty things at our rivals (AV and Rosemount for EV). Now I look into the student sections and there are guys tryin to pick up chicks, girls literally doing there nails and the absolute worst part was some girl getting mad because a guy bumped her when he was doing a little "chant" where they move their bodies...

I think that partially stems from a team making it to many times in a row, the expectation of getting there. Another would be that the school officials are very very liberal and do not allow for good chants.

Also, look at the amount of ppl in the ex the last 2 nights... NOT EVEN FULL! Either the economy is really killin the tourney or ppl are losing interest because when they showed the stands the last 2 days, it has not been full.
Looked full during the two later AA games...
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Even though I'm a pretty big Hill fan, I wouldn't mind seeing White Bear get back to the X because their students would be able to put on a party. I don't think a thousand students in blaze orange would put up with the BS from the guards and I can picture the whole student section marching in and just moving into the lower bowl and filling up four or five sections of solid orange behind the net. Good luck trying to move that mass.

Unfortunately they're pretty much the only school with students organized enough and crazy enough to do such a thing.

If you want to know why the atmosphere sucks, it's cause the administrations, high school league, and excel staff are a bunch of stuck-up elitist douchebags that don't give a crap about the atmosphere as long as they make a buck.
MNRinkRat

Post by MNRinkRat »

greatone wrote:I just watched that first game today, but it sure looked like the place was nuts for a single A game. Both teams looked like they were pretty well represented. I will be there tonight and hopefully not disappointed!!!
They opened up the upper deck on one side after the first period of the Hermantown Mahtomedi game. It seemed pretty packed for an single A game.
Let's Play Hockey
MNRinkRat

Re: General atmosphere

Post by MNRinkRat »

Goldfishdude wrote:It seems the past couple years or more, the atmosphere during the games has been pretty blah - other than when goals are scored.

It seems to me I remember that the crowd noise used to always rise in volume as the puck was in each end.... The East fans going nuts when the puck in the H-M zone.... and H-M fans making noise, just because they're stoned out of their gourds..... kidding... I think...

I just don't get that "excitement" sense anymore of a youth tournament... That some of the lustre has been lost...

Does anyone else notice?

If so, is it because the predominant student sections are relegated in the upper deck, and the lower bowl is just full of impartial hockey fans?

Or am I just being dumb.................. again....
Could it be that most of the kids are text messaging
Let's Play Hockey
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

I also believe that it has become more of a "social hour" for some of these schools. I remember being a middle schooler or freshmen and we would get rowdy and crowd surf or chant some nasty things at our rivals (AV and Rosemount for EV). Now I look into the student sections and there are guys tryin to pick up chicks, girls literally doing there nails and the absolute worst part was some girl getting mad because a guy bumped her when he was doing a little "chant" where they move their bodies...
What do you expect to happen when the students are way up in the upper deck? You don't see this kind of stuff in sections, only at the X.

Not if you're a HM or WB fan.
lacrosse10

Post by lacrosse10 »

Even though it was a class A game, Mahtomedi had the best student section i have seen at the whole tourney. they had a lot of stuff you dont usually see at a hockey game which was a lot of fun to see
tossin' frisbees
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

goldy313 wrote:I think you're right that the same teams every year make it kind of blah.

How many times has the team representing this section WON and or played for the Championship? Hard to say it's a weak section when they are always in the finals for the most part.
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

^I take back the final part of my above statement; that last game was pretty amazing.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

Northsider wrote:
What do you expect to happen when the students are way up in the upper deck? You don't see this kind of stuff in sections, only at the X.

Not if you're a HM or WB fan.
Tartan was not in their section in 2004. Centennial was still in 4AA(might have been 3AA then), and ended up knocking off Hill 3-2, and went on to win the state championship.

Anyways, it's pretty much just Hill Murray advancing now.