Bjugstad or Fasching

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

speedskater wrote:He is over rated. I would rather have Kyle Rau than Bjugstad. He didnt take his team anywhere today and was a non factor.
Is that any different than Rau getting shut out in sections vs. Tonka?
StillAnEagle

Post by StillAnEagle »

Gopher Blog wrote:
speedskater wrote:He is over rated. I would rather have Kyle Rau than Bjugstad. He didnt take his team anywhere today and was a non factor.
Ouch.. either way Bjugaldorf was a NON factor in today's game. Yay for the Lake conf.
Citizens for one class hockey
summer

Post by summer »

I wouldn't go that far, but nice to see someone not just following the herd.
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

Gopher Blog wrote:
BOX.

AV's game plan was to shut down Bjugstad, they did that. No one else from Blaine stepped up to make things happen.
gomnhky

Post by gomnhky »

My thoughts exactly. No doubt it was a tough day for Bjugstad as he was pretty much double/triple teamed the entire game and give credit to the AV coach's game plan and players executing it perfectly; however, I was still impressed by Bjugstad and the fact he was still trying to make plays - sometimes they didn't work because of the attention he attracted but other times his teammates didn't capitalize. It's pretty obvious that Blaine's offense runs through him and the rest of the forwards were simply trying to do it themselves.
pondpucker13

Post by pondpucker13 »

Where did Rau take his team this year? To a fifth straight state tournament or to a 7-2 thrashing in the section final? Oh yeah, that's right, it was the latter....
I get older they stay the same age, alright alright
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

pondpucker13 wrote:
Where did Rau take his team this year? To a fifth straight state tournament or to a 7-2 thrashing in the section final? Oh yeah, that's right, it was the latter....
I'm sorry but if Blaine were in 6AA and Eden Prairie were in 5AA, I don't think Blaine would be at their fifth straight tournament, and Eden Praire would be more of a regular in St. Paul.
RamWarrior

Post by RamWarrior »

wingmaster wrote:I would say Bjugstad, since he will get 2 games at Mariucci this weekend in preperation for next year. :lol:
Looks like Bjugstad only got 1 game at Mariucci this weekend :o
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

Who is this Bjugstad character? I've watched both Blaine games in the State tourney and I didn't notice him, is he related to Scott :lol:
5thgraders

Post by 5thgraders »

He is too big too slow to be a forward at the next levels he should move to defense and he may have a chance. :-k
newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 »

I am going to disagree with the "haters" about Bjug. He played almost every shift from 5 minutes left in the second thru the game. I am sure he was tired and I am betting he hasnt been checked that closely, hit that often and basically taken out of the game nearly as much as last night. Give the guy some credit. He is going to be a great forward at the U, I am sure he will be close to the same as a Bierkholz in his freshmen year.

As for Fashing, he is the real deal. The subject is not "Bjugstad, overrated or underappreciated" it is Fashing vs Bjug... Fashing won the battle last night.
5thgraders

Post by 5thgraders »

That empty netter was amazing. :roll:
newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 »

Bjug has 2 games, 0 points with not many great chances. Fashing has 1 goal (albeit an empty netter) with some great chances... The eye roll must have come from someone not watching the game last night. If you failed to get in front of the TV or make it to the X I would not expect you to know what I am talking about. If you did then you are a disgruntled fan of the Blaine program that just watched a 5-1 lead disapear. I'm sorry either way.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

newsguy35 wrote:I am going to disagree with the "haters" about Bjug. He played almost every shift from 5 minutes left in the second thru the game. I am sure he was tired and I am betting he hasnt been checked that closely, hit that often and basically taken out of the game nearly as much as last night. Give the guy some credit. He is going to be a great forward at the U, I am sure he will be close to the same as a Bierkholz in his freshmen year.

As for Fashing, he is the real deal. The subject is not "Bjugstad, overrated or underappreciated" it is Fashing vs Bjug... Fashing won the battle last night.
6 points in 33 games is the prediction. Stay in high school or go play juniors. ........... Wait, I am a Sioux fan, hope he plays for the Gophers tonight.
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

I was impressed with Bujgstad other than not getting any points for his team. He was the best player on the ice for his team yesterday and I felt like their chances all came from him being on the ice. Great player just good defensive job that kept him in check. He had his chances andjust didnt capitalize yesterday. He still played very well and helped create his team some scoring chances. You can't compare him and Fasching because of the age difference. Fasching will continue to develop and should be a great player as he goes through he will be a talent many will want to see. His effort is something all year I have been very happy with he gives everything he has every shift.
newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 »

AFP, both teams (sioux and gophers) have taken stabs at some players and have been bitten... You could easily say the same for most other schools. Fienage has not done much in his collegiate career. Casto was a great find but not everyone makes a HUGE impact their first year on campus. I agree, Jr's would be great for most players. Unfortunately we live in a world where kids will take a jump to college instead of fine tuning points of their game that need work in Jr's. I am a huge embassador of Jr's and think that it is the way to go for nearly all eventual college players.

Bjugstad is a great player, he got beat up and taken out of the games. We will see how young Fashing plays tonight but looking at the play thru this morning, Fashing has played better.
5thgraders

Post by 5thgraders »

I was actually pleased with Fasching development I have watched him play for the last five years. He used to come back to the red line and hang out.
He now comes back to his teams blue line. Maybe when he gets a little older he will come back into the slot and corners in his own end. Eyes are open and I have been watching :-k
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Both of these kids are great prospects! I think its important to understand that its not what they are now but what will they become? You can't coach size and both have plenty of that. Like almost all big kids they are both a work in progress with their skating, Bjugstad was one of the best skaters his age before the incredible growth spurt, if over time he regains superior skating skills he'll be a beast, Id love to see him play with more of an edge, he shouldn't allow small guys to get in his grill so much. Fasching has been a man amongst boys most of his hockey career and has always had great hands but will need to improve his skating to keep his edge. I do like the fact that he played tougher this year than at the bantam level last year. How about we just sit back and enjoy watching their progress.
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

5thgraders wrote:He is too big too slow to be a forward at the next levels he should move to defense and he may have a chance. :-k

You obviously have the mind set of a 5th grader to make a statement like that...
5thgraders

Post by 5thgraders »

I know but as they say the smart ones figure it out quickly =P~
HomeBarkingDog

Post by HomeBarkingDog »

pondpucker13 wrote:
probably the dumbest response in this thread lol..lets compare

In the section title game...

Bjugstad and Company play against an average 15-10 Maple Grove team..

Rau and Company play possibly the best High school team in the past 3 years filled with D1 Prospects to a game that was much closer than the score implies.

Blaine and EP switch sections and EP is playing Edina tonight, and Blaine might not even made the section final
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Bjugstad is a stud.. It would be great if Fasching could be as good or even better some day. MN should be proud
summer

Post by summer »

MrBoDangles wrote:Bjugstad is a stud.. It would be great if Fasching could be as good or even better some day. MN should be proud
He really didn't show it in the tournament! Was he saving it for the "U"?
Or just resting on his laurels?
breakout

Post by breakout »

mngopherfan wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:
BOX.

AV's game plan was to shut down Bjugstad, they did that. No one else from Blaine stepped up to make things happen.
Teams always try to stop the best players on an opposing team, that didn't get invented this year.

I have heard that great players step up in big games.

Look at Edina, they virtually shut down 4 D1 guys and their supporting cast.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

5thgraders wrote:He is too big too slow to be a forward at the next levels he should move to defense and he may have a chance. :-k

Have you even watched Bjugstad play? he was easily the fastest skater of the high school players in the Minnesota Wild Skills competition... just saying..

Whats with all the Bjugstad haters??? Have you watched him play other than this hockey tourney? He got shut down because he got triple teamed every time he carried the puck not to mention he skated 90% of the 3rd period. Give the kid a break, Apple Valley played solid D and came in with a game plan and shut down Bjug and now you all are saying he is overrated. Well as far as im concerned, Nick Bjugstad isnt an NHL quality player yet. Hes not going to score every goal and dangle every player and single handedly carry a team to a state championship, this isnt single A.

I guarantee you if Rau, Fasching, Gardiner, Nelson, Decowski or anyone else played for Blaine, they would have done no better than Bjugstad. Hockey is a team sport.

69 pts is no fluke people.