MN Teir 3 Hockey ? MN Owls

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

RLStars

Post by RLStars »

I heard he was recruited after the Lumberjacks went to Nationals.
huville

Post by huville »

Bjerk was offered a walk on position at a Div I school out east after his performance at Nationals. Decided to take Marians offer when he could go and play immediately.

Lukasz was heavily recruited by the coaching staff at Concordia-Wisconsin as was the same with Romanchuk at St. mary's. Both were brought in on recruiting trips and given tours by the assistant coaches.

Anderson has been invited to River Falls try outs. They are invite only, no walk ons. No ones spot on that team is safe as Freeman cut a good amount of upperclassmen last year and they didn't have a good season either.

Justin Neis has a few try outs with pro teams. This kid was probably the most talented player in the league. He was recruited by almost every div III team around here. He was also offered a spot at Adrian. He just doesn't have the grades or money to pay for a private school education. I think he has a very good chance at making one of the teams.

Weisner was recruited after Nationals as well.

Fischer was offered a chance to try out at MSOE but he is a good play maker and I think he has a chance to play 3rd or 4th line freshman year.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

OK.......now that the college rosters have started to be published (see the "college hockey stats" website), can those that are fairly familiar with the MNJHL scene list those players from last year who found themselves a spot on the team. The NCHA conference is mostly complete as far as posting rosters go with MIAC lagging somewhat at this time. From what I can tell it looks like the MNJHL league did a pretty good job advancing players. Congrats, pat yourselves on the back and promote it abit!
CenterIce

Post by CenterIce »

All of the 2009-10 rosters are posted on the US College Hockey Online website. A quick look shows the following MJ players rostered for this year in the two area DIII leagues, the NCHA and MIAC

St. Norbert - 0
St. Scholastica - 0
Eau Claire - 1
Rivers Falls - 1
Stevens Point - 0
Stout -1
Superior - 0
Augsburg -1
Bethel - 1
Condordia -1
Gustavus - 1
Hamline - 0
St. John's - 1
St. Mary's - 1
St. Olaf - 0
St. Thomas - 0
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

No they are not all listed..........that's why i asked that someone familiarwith the league and players do this do this..........what you are looking at for most of the teams on this website is the carryover from last year's teams minus those guys that were seniors last year..............and that's why I said to go to the college hockey stats website instead........that website is CURRENT!
CenterIce

Post by CenterIce »

According to the college hockey stats web site, former MJ players rostered this year in the NCHA include:

St. Norbert - 0
St. Scholastica - 0
Eau Claire (no roster)
Rivers Falls - 1
Stevens Point - 0
Stout - 0
Superior - 0
League Total - 1 (Josh Calleja, a 1986 born player from New Richmond, WI who, when he played in the MJ, lead the league in scoring and had twice as many goals as the second leading scorer. Calleja played for a year or two at Stevens Point, then transferred to River Falls).

Most of the MIAC rosters are not up on the college hockey stats web site. Of those rosters posted, former MJ players in the MIAC include:

Augsburg - 4
St. Mary's - 1
St. Olaf - 1
huville

Post by huville »

What you guys are failing to list is players who played a season or half a season with an MNJHL team then moved on to the NAHL. Sean McNeely played for the Hudson Crusaders in 07-08 before moving up to the NAHL that year. He is on the Stevens Pt. roster but is listed as being from the Alaska Avalanche. He is an advancement of the MNJHL but they don't get the credit.
huville

Post by huville »

I have done the research and here are all the former MNJHL players, that are on Western D-III rosters for this season.

MCHA Total 15
[b]Adrian[/b]-0
[b]Concordia-Wisconsin[/b]-5
Brad Lukasz-Hudson, Andy Parrott-Hudson, Shawn Oelke-Lights, Andy Kopas-Lakers, Tyler Fischer-Owls
[b]Finlandia[/b]-3
Charlie Benik-Mustangs, Doug Folk-Lakers, Matt Wylie-Hudson
[b]Lake Forest[/b]-1
Zak Browski-Granite City
[b]Lawrence[/b]-1
Josh Desmit-Rochester
[b]Marian[/b]-3
Alex Bjerk-Rochester, Nick Henkemeyer-Lights, Chris Thompson-Rochester
[b]MSOE[/b]-1
Andrew Desmond-Lakers
[b]Northland[/b]-1
Joe Belanger-Mustangs

NCHA Total 12
[b]St. Norbert[/b]-0
[b]St. Scholastica[/b]-0
[b]Eau-Claire[/b]-3
Nate Smith-Owls, Fred Bidinger-Granite City, Tyler Brigl-Dubuque (when they were in the MNJHL)
[b]River Falls[/b]-3
Josh Calleja-Mustangs, Ryan Goodmanson-Rochester, Grant Everett-St. Louis Lightning (now Maple Grove)
[b]Stevens Pt[/b]-2
Kent Detlefson-Rochester, Sean McNeely-Hudson
[b]Stout[/b]-2
Joel Gaulrapp-Rochester, Jesse Johnston-Rochester
[b]Superior[/b]-2
Bryan Dalbec-Mustangs, Pete O'Hara-Lights

MIAC Total 20
[b]Augsburg[/b]-5
Loran Egan-Mustangs, Cory Ellertson-Rochester, Issei Kashima-Rochester, Justin Lochner-Granite City, Ben Roberts-Lights
[b]Bethel[/b]-2
Aaron Jorgensen-Dubuque, Reed Zweber-Hudson
[b]Concordia-MN[/b]-2 09-10 roster unavailable
Kevin Nolt-Rochester, Matt Nordhagen-Owls
[b]Gustavus[/b]-2 09-10 roster unavailable
Pat Dynan-Lights, Josh Swartout-Lights
[b]Hamline[/b]-1
Brett Burgau-Rochester
[b]St. Johns[/b]-2
Jascha Pettit-Owls, Nick Roscoe-Owls
[b]St. Mary's[/b]-3
Chase Marshall-Owls, Bryce Stevens-Rochester, Will Such-Lights
[b]St. Olaf[/b]-2
Brady Sand-Mustangs, Thor Josefson-Rochester
[b]St. Thomas[/b]-2
Cary Wood-Lights, KC Kranz-Rochester

So in total there are 47 players playing Division III in the West that at one time in their career played in the MNJHL. This league does what its supposed to do.
CenterIce

Post by CenterIce »

Huville, before you get too carried away with the MJ's success, do the math. If just 2 kids from each of the MJ's 9 teams advanced to the three western DIII leagues every year, you would expect to see a total of 72 former MJ players on the 4-year, freshman through senior rosters. You have identified a total of 47, which means that, on average, just over 1 kid per MJ team is added to the DIII ranks each year (9 teams x 1 player each x 4 years = 36). In other words, using your numbers, a kid playing in the MJ has about a 1 in 25 chance of playing DIII hockey. Because the rosters published by the colleges do not list the MJ as the "last league" in which 47 kids played, I'm also guessing that a good number of those you identified played in the MJ only before/after their high school seasons, then went straight to college, or had to play in the NAHL or another junior league before going to college.
huville

Post by huville »

Actually no, none of these players were just before/afters. All played on a team in the MNJHL at 1 point of their career. A whole season, multiple seasons, a short stint. Without the league, these players would have been cut from NAHL teams and had no where to play. Also this is only Western Division III. I'm sure there are about 20-30 more players out East and that would get you over the 72 mark.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

How many are on the Varsity squad and not the Club teams at those colleges??
huville

Post by huville »

All these players are on the Varsity division III team. I did not look for players on JV teams or club teams.
huville

Post by huville »

Add 2 more to the list. Adam Weisner (Rochester) and Alex Najouskas (Granite City) both have made Gustavus Adolphus
HShockeyz

Watch the Islanders when they arrive to play wild

Post by HShockeyz »

CenterIce wrote:The MJ calls itself Tier III A, but the reality is that it is still a B league. Most of the kids in this league either end their careers there, or move on to college club hockey. Very few ever earn a roster spot on an NCAA Div. III team, because the USHL, NAHL, Canadian and eastern leagues provide all of the players U.S. colleges need. The best players in the MJ either didn't make a NAHL team, or got cut because they couldn't compete at that level. It is a myth that the MJ is a feeder for the NAHL and NCAA hockey.
Kid named Joel Rechlicz?? played MJ. He's only 21-22 and playing with NYIslanders. Might not suit up, but on the squad.

Some do but it is a level lower than the NA and there are a lot of kids moving from hs and MM to NA and USHL. Its a tougher road to travel but can be done.
rinkrat68

Post by rinkrat68 »

Interesting perspective on both sides of this issue. Here's my take:

I agree that the MJ is not a feeder program to the NAHL. Only a handful of players that I can think of that have made a PERMANENT move to the NAHL or other Tier II programs recently: Seth Ronsberg, 3rd leading scorer for Winkler (Wildcats), Jake Parenteau, 3rd leading scoring D in NAHL for the Alaska Avalanche-St. Paul Lakers (Wildcats staff), and Michael Deslauriers, goaltender(Wildcats) to Steinbach Pistons of Manitoba Jr.
Sean Kenny, Granite City, elected to return to play for Brad Willner and Michael Raynee, Little Falls, lasted a handful of games in the NAHL.
If there are others, I'm sure someone will let me know.
From a recruiting standpoint, if you look at the majority of rosters in the MJ, you will find that most teams are made up of 19-20 year olds, which means that if a player is not aging out, he only has 1 year of eligibility left.
Which in turn means that an NAHL team has limited time to develop that player, as opposed to a 17-18 year old they can work with for several years.
I am one of the very few that agrees with the Minnesota Wildcats developmental strategy of developing the younger players. Although perennially they are the cellar dwellers in the MJ, at least these young players will have a shot at moving up to the next level and have the opportunity to become better players by playing at a higher level and playing a 50 game schedule.
My point is, maybe the MJ should look at limiting the number of over-age player(20 year olds) on each roster to be more appealing to higher levels of Junior Hockey.
CenterIce

Post by CenterIce »

Following is a copy of an article that appears today on the “American Junior Hockey” web site (www.americanjuniorhockey.com). It lists the combined total number of games played to date this season at the NCAA Div. III level by alumni of each feeder league, as well as their combined total impact in terms of point production. Highlighted are Minnesota and Wisconsin High School, USHL, NAHL, EJHL and MnJHL. In terms of games played, the NAHL and EJHL are close (1,967 for alumni of the 20 NAHL teams and 1,945 for alumni of the 14 EJHL teams). In terms of point production, the EJHL leads the NAHL 1,009 to 896. Minnesota High School is right in the mix with 1,347 former players putting up a combined total of 545 points. MnJHL alumni have participated in 248 games, and put up a combined total of 74 points. Wisconsin High School is not far behind, with 178 player games accounting for 49 total points. Draw your own conclusions:

NCAA Division 3: Where do they come from?

Below is listed the players that are currently on Division 3 rosters and their stats up till the winter break. No goalie stats are included but their 'games played' are included. Interesting way to take a look at the leagues providing the most alumni to Division 3.
League - GP - G - A - PTS

WHA (Defunct) - 3 0-0-0

VIJHL - 81 6-11-17

VA High School - 3 0-0-0

TX HS 14 1-2-3

SK HS 6 0-0-0

RI HS 21 1-3-4

PA HS 64 18-21-39

ny hs 43 6-12-18

ns hs 10 3-5-8

oh hs 3 1-0-1

norway 3 0-0-0

QJAAAHL 91 10-30-40

PJHL 9 0-2-2

ACHA 12 2-0-2

AEHL 3 0-0-0

Austrailia 7 0-0-0

BCHL 614 109-199-308

AlbertaJHL 469 111-202-313

CHA 5 0-1-1

CJHL 490 90-173-263

CO HS 13 0-2-2

CSHL 237 33-59-92

EBJHL 2 0-0-0

CT HS 45 9-10-19

Empire 15 2-7-9

EOJHL 3 0-0-0

GOJHL 373 92-132-224

WI HS 178 20-29-49

MA HS 423 60-60-120

MD HS 12 0-1-1

ManitobaJHL 270 34-74-108

Finland 11 1-5-6

FL HS 9 0-2-2

Germany 10 3-2-5

GMHL 151-27-29-56

HJHL 34 8-14-22

IJHL 13 2-3-5

IL HS 16 3-4-7

IN HS 5 2-0-2

NJCAA 77 17-24-41

KIJHL 17 1-0-1

MetJHL 161 24-41-65

MI HS 49 9-13-22

Midget AA 30 2-3-5

Midget AAA 193 26-45-71

MaJHL 53 5-17-22

MN HS 1374 209-335-545

OJHL 1483 294-514-808

MnJHL 248 30-44-74
MO HS 9 4-4-8

NAHL 1967 341-555-896

ND HS 16 0-4-4

New England Prep 2124 363-543-906

NH HS 16 0-0-0

NJ HS 61 13-15-28

NOJHL 146 17-35-52

NorPac 293 47-58-105

CJHL 490 90-173-263

EJHL 1945 413-596-1009
SJHL 201 57-76-113

Sweden 183 26-50-76

USHL 327 95-164-259

AtlanticJHL 1276 211-320-531

Prep 315 57-95-152
mjnerd

Post by mjnerd »

Since only a few of you think MJ players do anything with their college careers, Justin Lochner, freshman goalie for Augsburg College, set a new NCAA DIII record on Saturday for most saves in a game with 98. His team came up on the wrong end, but keeping your team in the game for 138 minutes and being outshot 104-57, way to go Justin.

For those who do not know, Lochner played with the Granite City Lumberjacks last season.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

OK... time for reckoning ........... Who got to play college hockey last year out of these guys and how many games did they play? JV and 0 games don't count. Also anyone else not on this list that should be accounted for? I know that there are posters out there that know exactly the answer

2008-09 All-MJHL Team

Forwards
Adam Wiesner, Ice Hawks
Alex Naujokas, Lumberjacks
Brad Lukasz, Crusaders
Garret Windle, Northern Lights
Jake Calleja, Mustangs
Jakub Simicek, Owls
Justin Brausen, Owls/Wildcats
Justin Neis, Crusaders
Korby Anderson, Ice Hawks
Seth Ronsberg, Owls/Wildcats
Tony Schultz, Flying Aces
Tyler Wahl, Lumberjacks

Defense
Bryce Stevens, Ice Hawks
Erik Ordahl, Northern Lights
Garrett Anderson, Crusaders
Nik Haley, Owls
Robby Dahl, Ice Hawks
Steve Mlodozyniec, Lumberjacks

Goaltenders
Alex Bjerk, Ice Hawks
Justin Lochner, Lumberjacks

Player of the Year

Honorable Mention
Forwards
Bobby Thompson, Lumberjacks
Brandon Boyd, Lakers
Danny Grady, Ice Hawks
Joshua Pettit, Owls
Luke Davis, Flying Aces
Nate Percy, Northern Lights

Defense
Matt Kaufman, Lakers
Lane Mahoney, Northern Lights
Mike Stimart, Owls

Goaltender
Aaron Corey, Owls

Player of the Year

huville

Post by huville »

[quote="the bigbooya"]OK... time for reckoning ........... Who got to play college hockey last year out of these guys and how many games did they play? JV and 0 games don't count. Also anyone else not on this list that should be accounted for? I know that there are posters out there that know exactly the answer

2008-09 All-MJHL Team

Forwards
Adam Wiesner, Ice Hawks
Alex Naujokas, Lumberjacks
Brad Lukasz, Crusaders
Garret Windle, Northern Lights
Jake Calleja, Mustangs
Jakub Simicek, Owls
Justin Brausen, Owls/Wildcats
Justin Neis, Crusaders
Korby Anderson, Ice Hawks
Tony Schultz, Flying Aces
Tyler Wahl, Lumberjacks

Defense
Bryce Stevens, Ice Hawks
Erik Ordahl, Northern Lights
Garrett Anderson, Crusaders
Nik Haley, Owls
Robby Dahl, Ice Hawks
Steve Mlodozyniec, Lumberjacks

Goaltenders
Alex Bjerk, Ice Hawks

Player of the Year

Honorable Mention
Forwards
Bobby Thompson, Lumberjacks
Brandon Boyd, Lakers
Danny Grady, Ice Hawks
Joshua Pettit, Owls
Luke Davis, Flying Aces
Nate Percy, Northern Lights

Defense
Matt Kaufman, Lakers
Lane Mahoney, Northern Lights
Mike Stimart, Owls

Goaltender
Aaron Corey, Owls

Player of the Year

Back to top[/quote]

Most of those kids had/have junior eligibility left.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

Huh... huville, do you just babble crap just for the sake of showing your ignorance or what? I don't follow this stuff closely, but even I know that most of these guys are "aged out" and are either on or never made college rosters (and those that did, many did not play at all or played only a couple of preconference games)....and yes a few of thes guys did play alot and achieved thier dream, but only a very select few....and that is exactly what I was looking for specifics on.........if you can't do that, then don't post....you are making an ass out of yourself
mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 »

[quote="the bigbooya"]Huh... huville, do you just babble crap just for the sake of showing your ignorance or what? I don't follow this stuff closely, but even I know that most of these guys are "aged out" and are either on or never made college rosters (and those that did, many did not play at all or played only a couple of preconference games)....and yes a few of thes guys did play alot and achieved thier dream, but only a very select few....and that is exactly what I was looking for specifics on.........if you can't do that, then don't post....you are making an ass out of yourself[/quote]

Bigbooya- it is you who is making an ass of yourself. First off this is the 08-09 list, Huville is saying that most of these kids have/HAD junior eligibility left. As in they still had eligibility left going into this previous season. He is also right in saying that some have junior eligibility, for example the mvp of the whole league in the 08-09 season, Seth Ronsberg. Who it just so happens is currently being recruited to play for the North Dakota sioux the season after the upcoming one

Judging by the insight Huville has give on this forum, he knows more about this league than most of us combined. Next time dont bother to make such a ridiculous post unless you know what you are talking about.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

quote="the bigbooya"]Huh... huville, do you just babble crap just for the sake of showing your ignorance or what? I don't follow this stuff closely, but even I know that most of these guys are "aged out" and are either on or never made college rosters (and those that did, many did not play at all or played only a couple of preconference games)....and yes a few of thes guys did play alot and achieved thier dream, but only a very select few....and that is exactly what I was looking for specifics on.........if you can't do that, then don't post....you are making an ass out of yourself[/quote]

Bigbooya- it is you who is making an ass of yourself. First off this is the 08-09 list, Huville is saying that most of these kids have/HAD junior eligibility left. As in they still had eligibility left going into this previous season. He is also right in saying that some have junior eligibility, for example the mvp of the whole league in the 08-09 season, Seth Ronsberg. Who it just so happens is currently being recruited to play for the North Dakota sioux the season after the upcoming one

Judging by the insight Huville has give on this forum, he knows more about this league than most of us combined. Next time dont bother to make such a ridiculous post unless you know what you are talking about.

Let's see...........If these players were on the 08-09 MJHL list, that must mean that 09-10 was the next hockey season................which, hey guess what......that was last year!!!!....... and if you look at the names on the list, a whole bunch of them indeed were on college rosters LAST YEAR and since this list supposedly represents the best players in the league, all I wanted to know is who actually played college hockey last season and how many games.........huville did not have anything factual that was worthwhile to add and obviously you too have got your facts wrong and don't have anything constructive to add either. Save the lectures.........
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

the bigbooya wrote:Huh... huville, do you just babble crap just for the sake of showing your ignorance or what? I don't follow this stuff closely, but even I know that most of these guys are "aged out" and are either on or never made college rosters (and those that did, many did not play at all or played only a couple of preconference games)....and yes a few of thes guys did play alot and achieved thier dream, but only a very select few....and that is exactly what I was looking for specifics on.........if you can't do that, then don't post....you are making an ass out of yourself
Idiotic post of the year winner.....
mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 »

[quote="the bigbooya"]quote="the bigbooya"]Huh... huville, do you just babble crap just for the sake of showing your ignorance or what? I don't follow this stuff closely, but even I know that most of these guys are "aged out" and are either on or never made college rosters (and those that did, many did not play at all or played only a couple of preconference games)....and yes a few of thes guys did play alot and achieved thier dream, but only a very select few....and that is exactly what I was looking for specifics on.........if you can't do that, then don't post....you are making an ass out of yourself[/quote]

Let's see...........If these players were on the 08-09 MJHL list, that must mean that 09-10 was the next hockey season................which, hey guess what......that was last year!!!!....... and if you look at the names on the list, a whole bunch of them indeed were on college rosters LAST YEAR and since this list supposedly represents the best players in the league, all I wanted to know is who actually played college hockey last season and how many games.........huville did not have anything factual that was worthwhile to add and obviously you too have got your facts wrong and don't have anything constructive to add either. Save the lectures.........[/quote]

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING!!!! huville said that most of those kids have/HAD junior eligibility left, and you came back saying that most of these kids are aged out, and that huville is an idiot. I am saying that's exactly what huville was saying, huville never said that most still have junior eligibility left, he said that most HAD/have junior eligibility left. Go back and read your posts and my responses and it will become clear who the idiot here is.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

criminy, you sound like Bill Clinton .......what does "is" mean? . All I asked was for someone in the know to respond to my question....funny how nobody has answered it, but guys like you never have a problem belching up with a personal attack in order not to....oh yeah...yeah you Mr. Buttdingleberry......... if that is the best you can do is chime in with a stupid comment like that you should probably think about reaching down deep and going for your GED....just a thought......and once again....you gonna answer the question or just gonna keep blowing smoke