Mite Goalies

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

no dak Sioux

Mite Goalies

Post by no dak Sioux »

I'm looking for some input on how mite age goalies should be handled? Do you have fulltime goalies? Rotate everyone? What about the kid that wants to be a fulltime goalie? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I would suggest:

1. Always rotate kids
2. There should not be a "full-time" goalie in mites

I think squirts is a good time to start going full time. Never at mites.
observer

Post by observer »

We had the kids determine which ones would like to give it a try. We wanted them to practice once or twice before a game if possible so after one of the kids played their game they would pass off the equipment bag and stick to the next designated goalie family. I bet 8-10 kids gave it a shot and then we went through the rotation again. It's a very good idea at Mite to expose a bunch of kids to the opportunity because you never know which ones will enjoy it.

Full time goalie at Mite level isn't the best decision by the player and family. But, maybe he's a natural and shines at knee hockey so I don't know that particular situation. If they insist then maybe he plays every other game in the rotation but when he is not he needs to lace them up and skate which will benefit their goalie development anyways.

Exposing more kids to the goalie position as Mites will expand your goalie pool in the future which is huge.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I would never have a full time mite goalie. They have to be able to skate. Give as many kids a chance as want to.
brickhouse19

Post by brickhouse19 »

I tend to agree with all of the above comments. It is important to let every kid that wants to give it a shot the opportunity to do so. Also, we actually had a kid in our association commit to playing goalie full-time (or nearly full time) as a first grader last year. This same kid has now changed his mind and wants nothing to do with playing goalie. Because he did not participate in all of the skating drills with his teamates last year (as he often sat in the net with a coach shooting pucks at him) he went from one of the strongest skaters in his age group to a very average skater for his age. My point is if the kid is going to be the full time goalie, as a parent/coach I would insist that take the goalie pads off and skate with his teamates at practice. Even Patrick Roy needed to know how to skate.
Blackhawkfan

Post by Blackhawkfan »

brickhouse19 wrote:I tend to agree with all of the above comments. It is important to let every kid that wants to give it a shot the opportunity to do so. Also, we actually had a kid in our association commit to playing goalie full-time (or nearly full time) as a first grader last year. This same kid has now changed his mind and wants nothing to do with playing goalie. Because he did not participate in all of the skating drills with his teamates last year (as he often sat in the net with a coach shooting pucks at him) he went from one of the strongest skaters in his age group to a very average skater for his age. My point is if the kid is going to be the full time goalie, as a parent/coach I would insist that take the goalie pads off and skate with his teamates at practice. Even Patrick Roy needed to know how to skate.
I totally disagree with taking the pads off and skate. Quite the opposite. The goalie needs to be the best skater on the team with his equipment on! Goalies should be doing the majority of the skating/stickhandling drills that the other players are doing with all of their equipment on, including gloves and pads. Patrick Roy did not take his equipment off and skate with his teammates. If a goalie can do the skating/stickhandling drills with your equipment on, you will be not only a better goalie (if he hangs with it) but won't be far behind as a skater.
observer

Post by observer »

Remember, this is a mite discussion.
Blackhawkfan

Post by Blackhawkfan »

observer wrote:Remember, this is a mite discussion.
Never too early to teach someone the right way to do things.....Once they learn a bad habit, it is tough to change.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

I like when they strongly encourage every player to take a turn the first time through the rotation then narrow it down to just the kids who really want to every rotation after that. I think some kids will naturally gravitate to the position but they should all be exposed to it (unless they really push back).

I would encourage mites to wear the goalie gear for fun and not focus to much on goalie technique as mites. Keep them in skaters skates with a good rocker and defined hollow (inside & outside edges). If a player wants to skate the practice or two before their turn in the nets great but have them skate the regular drills and don't let them stand in the back of the line half heart-idly going through the motions.

My mite is not very patiently waiting for his turn in nets and we are still in clinics.
brickhouse19

Post by brickhouse19 »

"Patrick Roy did not take his equipment off and skate with his teammates."

Sure when he was fifteen, but what about at six? Regardless, I would argue that a kid should learn to skate in "regular" pads before goalie pads are added to the mix. [/quote]
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

Blackhawkfan wrote:
observer wrote:Remember, this is a mite discussion.
Never too early to teach someone the right way to do things.....Once they learn a bad habit, it is tough to change.
Yeah, those mite goalies should definitely work on their backwards crossovers in full goalie gear so that they learn to "do things the right way." :lol:
ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe »

I have always thought Mites is the time to learn basic skills, try all positions and HAVE FUN. Given that I have always rotated the pads through anyone who wanted to play. They can wear them at the practice before the game and we give them the basics of stance and movement in the net. And most of all tell them to have fun.

If there are players who say they absolutely want to only play goalie then they should be worked into the goal every other game or at least more frequently then the rest of the team, but I definately think rotating the pads to anyone who wants to try is the way to go. Who knows the next Patrick Roy may not think he wants to be a goalie until he trys it.

I would also encourage associations to have goalie practices a couple times a month and welcome any mite player who wants to work on being a goalie. It is no different then numbers for the whole association the more players you get to try goalie the better.

Just because a Mite says he wants to be a full time goalie doesn't mean he will want to be a goalie next year or even next week. Let the kids develop their basic hockey skills at mites and worry about full time goalies later.
NSHA Rules

Never? No Way?

Post by NSHA Rules »

I have seen kids do it both ways. I have seen kids play out there first 3 years in mini mites (mite 1's) and then make their decision to play full time in Mites and I have seen kids try both in Mite 2's and not lock in until Squirts.

Both have played well enough to make A teams in Squirts, last year we had one of each on our squirt A. Out of all the goalies, the ones that locked into the nets in Mites, they're clearly the better goalies so far in my opinion.

I don't think there's a wrong way, it's up to the kid and the parents on what they want to do.