Section 2A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyfan1022

Section 2A

Post by hockeyfan1022 »

What do you guys think for section 2A this year? I think Breck will have a very tough time winning this section again. Blake is obviously going to be tough with all their upperclassmen coming back, teams like Delano and Orono are intriguing though. Delano has Tyler Heinonen so they could be very dangerous, and Orono has Ross Luedtke along with almost all their forwards coming back. What do you think?
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

While they clearly won't be the dominant team they were the last couple of years, it's probably not wise to count Breck out just yet as they have several talented players back and a couple of very good 9th and 10th graders coming in. It will probably come down to the usual three of Breck, Blake and Orono in sections, with any of them capable of knocking the others off. Goaltending will be key as both Orono and Breck have unproven netminders.
dzonecoverage

Post by dzonecoverage »

Chaska will be in this section this year. With Jack Storo, they should be very tough.
observer

Post by observer »

Chaska single A? Is Chanhassen also single A? Can't imagine that will last for long?
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

observer wrote:Chaska single A? Is Chanhassen also single A? Can't imagine that will last for long?
I believe Chanhassen is AA, not sure though. And I don't know about Chaska.
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

The top ten reasons the Mustangs don't win the section;

10. Almost impossible to three peat
9. They will lose more games this year before January than they have in the past 2 years combined.
8. Some good players but no goal scoring "go to guys"
7. Loss of 4 of their top five D - Rudnick is a monster though -
6. They will be young with only a few seniors
5. No real team leadership. I believe a kid from JV is a captain...What's up wit dat?
4. Totally unproven goaltending...Russell was a stud the last two years and played in over 50 of the 62 games.
3. Blake is a better team
2. The coaching situation is rumored to be suspect. None of the varsity players (or parents) had anything good to say about the coach and his kid which is a weird considering they just won back to back championships.
1. Can't lose that many seniors (11 or 12) that played together for 4 years and be the same caliber of a team.

Blake will most likely emerge as the champs this year. Look for Breck to contend in 2012 provided the coaching situation is stable and as some of the younger talent matures.
hockeyfan1022

Post by hockeyfan1022 »

Chaska is 2A Chanhassen is 2AA
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

Breck and Blake look like contenders, I wouldn't count out Breck regardless of losing guys like Fulton and Russell.

They will have a whole regular season to figure out who will step up for those lost seniors. Blake looks dangerous and I would not be very surprised to see them rather than Breck in March.
hockeyrocks

Post by hockeyrocks »

Breck won't even be one of the top three seeds this year. They don't stack up against Blake, Orono or Delano in talent, scoring, goaltending or coaching.

Predictions are

1. Blake - Will want it the most after being dominated for 2 years by Breck
2. Orono - Much improved. Ross Luedke is the real deal. Goaltending the only ?
3. Delano - High powered scoring with one of the best scorers in the state
4. Breck - Young and talented, but can they overcome lack of leadership and a coach nobody likes playing for?

Should be a wide open tourney at Parade.
hockeyrocks

Post by hockeyrocks »

dzonecoverage wrote:Chaska will be in this section this year. With Jack Storo, they should be very tough.
Who else do they have? Didn't Nate Trania leave Breck and go back to Chaska?
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

yes traina left breck and returned to chaska. this will give chaska another high flying forward to go along with storo
dzonecoverage

Post by dzonecoverage »

does it make sense that Chaska gets all the talent (Storo, Traina etc) and play class A while Chanhassen plays AA?
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

dzonecoverage wrote:does it make sense that Chaska gets all the talent (Storo, Traina etc) and play class A while Chanhassen plays AA?
Dzone: Nothing has ever made sense in that community when it comes to hockey.
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

Chaska will be an interesting team to watch as the season unfolds. The addition of Traina will be a big help for them and will hurt the Mustangs as he would likely have been the top one or two scorers on the Breck team and arguably the best forward. Will make for an interesting dynamic if they end up playing each other in sections.
dueling21

Post by dueling21 »

I'm thinking that Blake is going to be the team to beat. The Bears had their run a few years back, then Breck took control the past few years. I think Blake makes its move back to the forefront.
HockeyHunter

Post by HockeyHunter »

Traina is playing for Chanhassen. Huge loss for Breck's team.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

HockeyHunter wrote:Traina is playing for Chanhassen. Huge loss for Breck's team.
How was he able to go back to Chaska, transfer to Chanhassen, and still be eligible to play? Is there a free transfer since Chaska and Chanhassen are in the same School District? How does that work? There must be a different set of rules...I guess the Reilly's did the same thing coming from Breck to Benilde to Holy Angels.
hockeyfan1022

Post by hockeyfan1022 »

i get the feeling that chaska wont be that huge of a threat. they were bad last year even though they were AA and that was with chanhassen
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

Questions about Orono. Who do they have in goal this year and is Ross Ludke hurt?
hockeyfan1022

Post by hockeyfan1022 »

they have a goalie who came back to hockey last year after not playing since peewees, but I've heard good things about him, seems he should be solid. Luedtke is back now but the word is he's still recovering from his injury a bit. Definitely seems he will be ready for the season though.
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

hockeyfan1022 wrote:they have a goalie who came back to hockey last year after not playing since peewees, but I've heard good things about him, seems he should be solid. Luedtke is back now but the word is he's still recovering from his injury a bit. Definitely seems he will be ready for the season though.
This year's Orono Senior hockey class was hurt by a lot of the best kids from youth hockey moving on and playing @ Blake.
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

dueling21 wrote:I'm thinking that Blake is going to be the team to beat. The Bears had their run a few years back, then Breck took control the past few years. I think Blake makes its move back to the forefront.
Agreed. The Bears look like the team to beat. Even with the loss of almost all of it's top three lines, I'm sure Breck won't just hand ot to them as its always a heated rivalry, but the Bears seem to have the most returning talent in this group.
hockeyfan1022

Post by hockeyfan1022 »

I also just found out that Orono's goalie is out the first two games from a suspension. They go up north to Lake of the Woods and Warroad for their first two so we'll see how that goes.
hockeyguy09

Post by hockeyguy09 »

hockeyfan1022 wrote:I also just found out that Orono's goalie is out the first two games from a suspension. They go up north to Lake of the Woods and Warroad for their first two so we'll see how that goes.
What was he suspended for? And do they have a reliable backup? If not, they'll have a tough time against those Warroad boys stopping the puck. In addition, do they have good goal scorers? They'll need them to score agains that Lake of the Woods goalie, he was looking good in the elite league. As regards to Orono's offense I know Luedke is good, do they have any other good returners?
~The Man~
hockeyfan1022

Post by hockeyfan1022 »

hockeyguy09 wrote:
hockeyfan1022 wrote:I also just found out that Orono's goalie is out the first two games from a suspension. They go up north to Lake of the Woods and Warroad for their first two so we'll see how that goes.
What was he suspended for? And do they have a reliable backup? If not, they'll have a tough time against those Warroad boys stopping the puck. In addition, do they have good goal scorers? They'll need them to score agains that Lake of the Woods goalie, he was looking good in the elite league. As regards to Orono's offense I know Luedke is good, do they have any other good returners?
I'm not sure what he's suspended for and have no idea about their backup. They do have good goal scorers in addition to Luedtke, all of their forwards except for one are returning from last year. Their biggest question mark seems to be depth on defense. They could be very competitive up north I think.