Girls moving onto Private High School Hockey

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cut Above

Girls moving onto Private High School Hockey

Post by Cut Above »

Private School Girls Hockey

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach a Private School Coach on the prospects of our daughter playing HS Hockey in their program. We're a yr or 2 out.

Obviously there are no guarantees as kids get cut everywhere.

Do you approach coach or school first?

How do you ask, "does my kid have a chance to make your team"?

Do you have to apply for admission before asking these questions?

I would think "I" or "Our family" could approach the coach and ask anything but I've been told the coaches can't approach you?

I've also been told we can only ask questions if we've applied but I know of other families able to ask questions without applying. All innocent questions but they were able to ask to say the least.

Any advice appreciated.....
Hansonbrother

Re: Girls moving onto Private High School Hockey

Post by Hansonbrother »

Cut Above wrote:Private School Girls Hockey

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach a Private School Coach on the prospects of our daughter playing HS Hockey in their program. We're a yr or 2 out.

I would think "I" or "Our family" could approach the coach and ask anything but I've been told the coaches can't approach you?

I've also been told we can only ask questions if we've applied but I know of other families able to ask questions without applying. All innocent questions but they were able to ask to say the least.

I guess you should first ask yourself, what are you really sending your kid to private school for, the education or the sports? If its really for the sports, then meet the coach and find out what he/she is like as a person. I would then talk to some of the returning players and find out what the coaches demeanor is like on the bench as well. If you like the coach, then your childs talent and attitude will ultimately determine their ice time.

If you're going to private school for the education, then the athletic part of your child going there is just a bonus.
Puck Bag

Post by Puck Bag »

You go to a "academic recruiting visit" at most. If your daughter is / was on the radar of the private coaches - this invite is extended. Other wise you call the admissions office and ask to visit. You will want to ask to have the AD and some athletes available so you can ask questions. The hockey coach may or may not be there - most likely not.

True

Like I said above - if they are on the radar a parent usually will approach you not the coach. Call admissions.

Just like that if and when you meet the coach. They don't have to tell you the truth.

No - take the visit first. My daughter decided she would not fit in so don't be surprised if this is the case.

True - most coach contact, if it occurs is during summer leagues.

That's why you usually meet with the AD not the coach - of course not all coaches follow the rules.
Good luck and be prepared for a sizeable tuition bill.
iceage

Post by iceage »

Puck Bag wrote:

True - most coach contact, if it occurs is during summer leagues.

That's why you usually meet with the AD not the coach - of course not all coaches follow the rules.
Good luck and be prepared for a sizeable tuition bill.
Not to mention the homework load.
Thunderbird77

Post by Thunderbird77 »

To start, let me wish you the best of luck. Considering alternatives to your local public high school is quite a process and takes courage. Be prepared to be talked about and ridiculed.

My first piece of advice is to pick a school where your daughter will flourish both academically and socially. You can get hurt the first day of practice. Make sure your daughter is in the right place for her school-wise.

Next, call the coach up and talk to them about their program and their coaching philosophies. If hockey is important enough to your daughter that she is willing to change schools, you want to make sure she is playing in a program where she will be comfortable. To your question as to whether or not you should ask the coach if your daughter will make the team, my advice is not to bother. As you yourself point out, there are no guarantees. Unless the HS coach has seen your daughter play in a variety of situations, as they will during summer camp or try-outs, they couldn't give you an honest assessment anyway. In addition, there is a big jump from youth hockey to high school hockey. An incoming freshman is playing against girls with 1 to 3 more years of experience and maturity.

Finally, learn as much about the players and their parents as possible. Keep in mind that most players at a private school are of a certain socio-economic status. Most of the students in the school will have been going there for some time. Be sure your daughter will fit in and be accepted. I know of cases where this turned out to be a rocky road.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

Thunderbird77 wrote:To start, let me wish you the best of luck. Considering alternatives to your local public high school is quite a process and takes courage. Be prepared to be talked about and ridiculed.

My first piece of advice is to pick a school where your daughter will flourish both academically and socially. You can get hurt the first day of practice. Make sure your daughter is in the right place for her school-wise.

Next, call the coach up and talk to them about their program and their coaching philosophies. If hockey is important enough to your daughter that she is willing to change schools, you want to make sure she is playing in a program where she will be comfortable. To your question as to whether or not you should ask the coach if your daughter will make the team, my advice is not to bother. As you yourself point out, there are no guarantees. Unless the HS coach has seen your daughter play in a variety of situations, as they will during summer camp or try-outs, they couldn't give you an honest assessment anyway. In addition, there is a big jump from youth hockey to high school hockey. An incoming freshman is playing against girls with 1 to 3 more years of experience and maturity.

Finally, learn as much about the players and their parents as possible. Keep in mind that most players at a private school are of a certain socio-economic status. Most of the students in the school will have been going there for some time. Be sure your daughter will fit in and be accepted. I know of cases where this turned out to be a rocky road.

I have seen it go both ways! I have seen the ugly of it and the positives of it, unfortunately your Daughter will not know for sure until she gets there. Just make sure you are doing it for the right reason! and good luck in what ever you choose.
hockeylife,mylife

Post by hockeylife,mylife »

check with coach marvin, he knows
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Go to games, watch a practice - have your daughter and you decide if she likes coach and way players interact. I know Hill Murray runs a summer camp and maybe others do. Go the camp and have your daughter get first hand perspective of coach kids and how she stacks up.

As others suggest you are going for the school not hockey - shadow, talk to other parents or kids you know at the school and go to the open houses.

Good luck our daughter did HS at a private school and it was a great experience.
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

Thunderbird77 wrote: Finally, learn as much about the players and their parents as possible. Keep in mind that most players at a private school are of a certain socio-economic status. Most of the students in the school will have been going there for some time. Be sure your daughter will fit in and be accepted. I know of cases where this turned out to be a rocky road.
Yeh, this is something we are concerned with.
ghr

Post by ghr »

Yeh, this is something we are concerned with.[/quote]

Our experience has been that there is a great deal of socioeconomic diversity in our daughter's private school. She plays with girls on both ends of that spectrum and it does not seem to be an issue for the girls.

The bigger revelation for new players and parents, is that there is a public school view of player movement prevelant at private schools. This means that players on the JV, and their parents, believe that they will naturally move up to the varsity when they are sophmores and juniors. This is not the case. Private schools get a large infusion of "talent" for the freshman class, the last year to transfer without moving, etc.; thus, displacing many players who thought they were in line for varsity roles. It may be more of a parent thing;but, it does cause some ill will.

To your question, just talk to the coach of the school you are interested in. They talk to perspective players and parents all the time.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Cut Above wrote:Yeh, this is something we are concerned with.
This obviously varies depending on which private school you are talking about. I would guess that you get as much "socioeconomic diversity" at an Edina, a Minnetonka or an Eden Prairie as you would at a Hill Murray, a BSM or a Holy Angels (and some others).
ghr wrote:The bigger revelation for new players and parents, is that there is a public school view of player movement prevelant at private schools. This means that players on the JV, and their parents, believe that they will naturally move up to the varsity when they are sophmores and juniors. This is not the case. Private schools get a large infusion of "talent" for the freshman class, the last year to transfer without moving, etc.; thus, displacing many players who thought they were in line for varsity roles. It may be more of a parent thing;but, it does cause some ill will.
I believe you will find this to be true in any school, pubic or private, if they have a deep talent pool. The same transfer rules apply and it just depends on the number of incoming talented 9th graders and how they measure up to the number of returning JV players who are looking to move up to varsity.
hockbandit

private school

Post by hockbandit »

My daughter chose to go to a private school, not for hockey, but for education. The hockey was an added bonus. We are your typical middle class, there are people from all classes and we have never felt that we were out of place. Our school(Totino-Grace) does not recruit players, so we do not have a feeder program and just hope that we get some good players coming in based on their choice of a good school. Most girls that are decent coming in will probably play varsity. If you are interested they do have a summer camp where you can meet the girls and the coaches.
allhoc11

Re: private school

Post by allhoc11 »

hockbandit wrote: Our school(Totino-Grace) does not recruit players

If you are interested they do have a summer camp where you can meet the girls and the coaches.
Be careful hockbandit, in one sentence you say your school doesn't recruit, and two sentences later you do what is defined as recruiting by the MSHSL. Invite a player who has shown no interest in your school to check out the summer camp, where they can meet the coaches and players.
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

allhoc11 wrote:
hockbandit wrote: Our school(Totino-Grace) does not recruit players

If you are interested they do have a summer camp where you can meet the girls and the coaches.
Be careful hockbandit, in one sentence you say your school doesn't recruit, and two sentences later you do what is defined as recruiting by the MSHSL. Invite a player who has shown no interest in your school to check out the summer camp, where they can meet the coaches and players.
Even as a parent this is considered recruiting? I don't think so.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Cut Above wrote:Even as a parent this is considered recruiting? I don't think so.
If you want some late night reading material you can look through the MSHSL bylaws, but technically yes. Parents, Athletes, School Staff, and Coaches are all ambassadors to the school. Technically it could be considered recruiting. Does it happen all the time yes, would the MSHSL ever act on it not likely, but I would imagine if I were a coach or administrator at the school I wouldn't want anything like that in print that would give the MSHSL any reason to start asking questions.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

No recruiting for private school atheltic programs? Rich.
Northland

Post by Northland »

sinbin wrote:No recruiting for private school atheltic programs? Rich.
Can you say alumni?
hockeyoldtimer

Girls moving to private school

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

I think any high level player who can get a better education for their daughter and play at a higher level of hockey should be allowed to do so.
Are they recruited. . . sure they are. I know plenty of girls who are going to open enroll at public high schools too who just happen to have better hockey. It is their choice.
hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

I think any high level player who can get a better education for their daughter and play at a higher level of hockey should be allowed to do so.
Are they recruited. . . sure they are. I know plenty of girls who are going to open enroll at public high schools too who just happen to have better hockey. It is their choice.
While I agree that athletes should have the choices, what frustrates me is from a youth/community standpoint.

Communities devote countless hours, sponsor numerous events, and take money out of their own pockets to support fundraiser after fundraiser to build a strong tradition and provide opportunities for their youth. Then after the kids have worked together for years, a private school, which does nothing to benefit youth hockey or grow the game from the bottom up, swoops in and cherry picks the best athletes. My issue is, where is the payback to the community? Zip... many rinks, especially in smaller cities are civic buildings and tax payer subsidized. Do the private schools help with that so a U8 can skate for $50 her first year to introduce her to the sport?

Shattuck or schools like that get a pass (at least on the boys side) since they are on a whole different level, but if you are good enough to play college hockey you will be found on your high school team.
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

Pay back…Are you serious?
Building a tradition…really?
You truly feel that your efforts were wasted?

Maybe it’s just me but I thought that communities did all those things in a attempt to provide individuals with the opportunity to grow and develop to their true potential… that they would have an avenue to find a love for the game and a chance to build life long friendships. No self serving motive…no promise of community pride...that their only commitment should be to try their best and to be respectful and graciously. If they happen to choose a different path that only they can determine is the right one…then to wish them all the luck in the world…because the only reward that should be expected is the self pride that… just maybe…just possibly… you had a small part in their personal success and happiness…where ever that may take place
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

hockeyfan21 wrote:
While I agree that athletes should have the choices, what frustrates me is from a youth/community standpoint.

Communities devote countless hours, sponsor numerous events, and take money out of their own pockets to support fundraiser after fundraiser to build a strong tradition and provide opportunities for their youth. Then after the kids have worked together for years, a private school, which does nothing to benefit youth hockey or grow the game from the bottom up, swoops in and cherry picks the best athletes. My issue is, where is the payback to the community? Zip... many rinks, especially in smaller cities are civic buildings and tax payer subsidized. Do the private schools help with that so a U8 can skate for $50 her first year to introduce her to the sport?

Shattuck or schools like that get a pass (at least on the boys side) since they are on a whole different level, but if you are good enough to play college hockey you will be found on your high school team.

Hey Doorknob, we all pay taxes and save your ass thousands upon thousands of dollars paying our own way to go to a private school. We paid for that rink too. There are no loopholes here. Furthermore, we coach your kids, we serve on your boards spending countless hours helping you build your traditions. Seriously, your an idiot. Pardon the name calling but there's no glossing over this idiotic post.
hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

Hey Doorknob, we all pay taxes and save your ass thousands upon thousands of dollars paying our own way to go to a private school. We paid for that rink too. There are no loopholes here. Furthermore, we coach your kids, we serve on your boards spending countless hours helping you build your traditions.
I'm guessing you don't coach at a varsity level where they bust their ass for years building up a strong youth program only to watch the key kids disappear after Bantams.

And how does you going to a private school save my ass thousands upon thousands of dollars? The electricity bill, bus fees, etc. don't get cheaper at a public school because your kid isn't in the desk. You don't save me money, you just pay more to support two schools.

And from my experience, a lot of the parents (not all) that "coach our kids, serve on the board, etc..." and then end up at private school X are the ones we have to fight with year in and year out because they ONLY worry about their kid, not the rest. Again not all, but a big portion.

Feel free to name call, it always improves a discussion. :roll:
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ON A RULE:

When can an 8th play High School Hockey and when can't they?

Obviously if the school has a Jr High they can.

If for example I live in Bloomington, go to a Private School (not public) in Bloomington could I play 8th grade hockey at Benilde, Holy Family or Academy of Holy Angels (just examples). This is also assuming we've enrolled at that school for 9th grade. Forget the schools policy but MSHL Rules?

Thanks!
Puck Bag

Post by Puck Bag »

Cut Above wrote:CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ON A RULE:

If for example I live in Bloomington, go to a Private School (not public) in Bloomington could I play 8th grade hockey at Benilde, Holy Family or Academy of Holy Angels (just examples). This is also assuming we've enrolled at that school for 9th grade. Forget the schools policy but MSHL Rules?

Thanks!
I thought it was left up to the school / coach to allow 7th-9th graders playing. I could be wrong but I don't think so. The situations I'm aware of also depend on the Varsity Coach / Youth Program relationship and the outlet for younger players having a place to play - 14U/16U/19U. Someone here must have an answer. But in your particular scenario I would also assume that you would have to be enrolled at that private inorder to play.
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

Cut Above wrote:CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ON A RULE:

Thanks!
Anyone else want to give this a shot.