Blowouts classless?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Are blowouts classless on the part of the winning coach?

Yes, Always
14%
Sometimes
43%
No, just part of the game
42%

Total votes: 92

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

johnnyquest wrote:virginia 21 silver bay 0

hshockeywatcher, I would love to speak my mind, but I would get banned.
You can't speak your mind without profanity?

That was playoffs. The state set that game up. Why not let your players play? They need to do what they can to get ready for their next game. I wasn't at that game, nor the Moorhead/Monticello game, nor others, but my guess is that in most cases, it is the 3rd/4th liners getting points.

I don't know that I will ever understand the rational behind having 20 some kids suit up for a game (playoff games in this case) and telling them that because the other team isn't good, we are going to disrespect the game itself and the opponent and mock them by playing keep away. Waste of everyone's time. If the opposing coach wants to forfeit, he should. Otherwise, play hockey. No, 1st liners pounding goals in doesn't help anyone, but that is also rarely what happens in blowouts.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/1025002

21 Little Falls
0 Wadena-Deer Creek
BackCheckN'

Post by BackCheckN' »

The Exiled One wrote:http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/1025002

21 Little Falls
0 Wadena-Deer Creek
Sometimes you have to have a little help from your goaltending. :cry:
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

BackCheckN' wrote:

21 Little Falls
0 Wadena-Deer Creek
The save percentage of three goalies that were used was a combined 0.625. Doing a little math, if they could have managed a 0.900 save percentage the score would have "only" been 6-0.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
BackCheckN' wrote:

21 Little Falls
0 Wadena-Deer Creek
The save percentage of three goalies that were used was a combined 0.625. Doing a little math, if they could have managed a 0.900 save percentage the score would have "only" been 6-0.
Goaltending would have helped, yes, but it looked like LF was skating around pylons all night.
truehockeyfan

Post by truehockeyfan »

This seems to be a common thing for Little Falls to be racking up scores just so they can turn some heads. A lot of teams could do this to juice their stats but dont. Classic case like Ben Hanowski. Great player nothing bad against him but they played him three fourths of every game including blowouts were he would put up 5-6 points instead of giving game time to 3rd or 4th liners to develop for future.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

truehockeyfan wrote:This seems to be a common thing for Little Falls to be racking up scores just so they can turn some heads. A lot of teams could do this to juice their stats but dont. Classic case like Ben Hanowski. Great player nothing bad against him but they played him three fourths of every game including blowouts were he would put up 5-6 points instead of giving game time to 3rd or 4th liners to develop for future.
4th liners played JV game so only played the 2nd period. Two kids w/ injuries. LF had a very short bench so they just tried to pass the puck around all night. It could have been far worse.
HShockeywatcher

I didn't want to start a new thread to bring this up. On Yahoo!'s front page this morning was an article about a girls basketball score of 108-3. While it is probably extreme, in short the coach said "I've been on the losing end and was very insulted when the other team stopped trying. I didn't want to insult/embarrass the other team."

Football is probably the one sport where you can just make your game one dimensional; run the ball up the middle and make them stop you. In many other team sports, it's difficult to say what to do.

For the most part, on here, we either get responses like his from probably half the posters and the other half go into no detail and simply say it's classless and they shouldn't run up the score. I'm curious if there are any comments about suggestions of what to do in this situation if you think it's classless to run up the score.
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

Mite-dad wrote:
truehockeyfan wrote:This seems to be a common thing for Little Falls to be racking up scores just so they can turn some heads. A lot of teams could do this to juice their stats but dont. Classic case like Ben Hanowski. Great player nothing bad against him but they played him three fourths of every game including blowouts were he would put up 5-6 points instead of giving game time to 3rd or 4th liners to develop for future.
4th liners played JV game so only played the 2nd period. Two kids w/ injuries. LF had a very short bench so they just tried to pass the puck around all night. It could have been far worse.
Yet this game vs. Wadena was a scheduled non-conference game!!!!!

When I see a team schedule non-conference game vs a team like this and then run up the score 21-0, I have little respect for that coach and the team.

If I were a ratings editor, for this reason alone, regardless of a team’s win/loss record and talent they may have, I would never give them a top 10 ranking, period!!!!!!
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

I also saw the article on Yahoo, it reminds me of the girls basketball team in Texas that won 100-0 a couple years ago
DKS1962

Post by DKS1962 »

Teams need to Schedule section games for the seeding meeting. I believe
Wadena is in LF's section.

Just as River lakes is in Moorhead's section and had a similar result several years ago.
bbad

Post by bbad »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:During close games, the better kids will play more, and during blowouts, the 3rd and 4th line should play more. End of story.....
Why? What actual reason is there?
It's called developing players and growing depth in your team. Many a team can have a great first line -- even a second line, but when you find a team that has developed their players and can give their 3rd and 4th lines playing time against those good teams, then you wear the other team out. So, how do you create that depth? It has to start somewhere! BodyShots, I really don't understand your reasoning in thinking that only your top players should play even in a blowout. That is just rude and not logical!
TheClipper

Post by TheClipper »

A.D.'s and coaches are intelligent folks who anticipate blowouts and prepare accordingly. Very, very rarely do you see unexpected blowouts.

Coaches anticipating the happy side see the game as a chance to play reserves, or perhaps JV players. If they select and position their players accordingly, winning coaches can keep the results reasonable while still improving their squads. Coaches on the bad side look for small improvements, or mini victories. In either case, good coaches can find teachable moments.

If you're the superior team the most insulting act is to lay down (stop shooting, play keepaway, etc.) No one wants to be pitied.

Believe it or not, AHA, Hill Murray, Edina (or whatever team is currently ruining your life) do all they can to avoid scheduling blowouts. But it's impossible to eliminate them.

Most sports have measures in place to minimize the ill effects of blowouts.

Bad sportsmanship can occur. This usually comes from players--not coaches. If you insist on assigning "blame", or identifying "villains" in a blowout, you can usually find them on either side of the scoreboard.

Some players and coaches use blowouts to pad their stats. Intelligent folks are not impressed by this.
Last edited by TheClipper on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HShockeywatcher

The overwhelming majority of voters on this thread (87%) believe that it is not always classless. So, instead of those 13% of you simply stating over and over that is is classless, can you give us a game-type scenario of what you would personally tell the coach to do in that situation that is not insulting to the other team?
mustangs29

Post by mustangs29 »

A coach should never tell his players to "stop" scoring. Passing it around the other team is more embarrassing for the losing team in my opinion.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

TheClipper wrote:Ad's and coaches are intelligent folks who anticipate blowouts and prepare accordingly. Very, very rarely do you see unexpected blowouts.

Coaches anticipating the happy side see the game as a chance to play reserves, or perhaps JV players. If they select and position their players accordingly, winning coaches can keep the results reasonable while still improving their squads. Coaches on the bad side look for small improvements, or mini victories. In either case, good coaches can find teachable moments.

If you're the superior team the most insulting act is to lay down (stop shooting, play keepaway, etc.) No one wants to be pitied.

Believe it or not, AHA, Hill Murray, Edina (or whatever team is currently ruining your life) do all they can to avoid scheduling blowouts. But it's impossible to eliminate them.

Bad sportsmanship can occur. This usually comes from players--not coaches. If you insist on assigning "blame", or identifying "villains" in a blowout, you can usually find them on either side of the scoreboard.

Some players and coaches use blowouts to pad their stats. Intelligent folks are not impressed by this.
I would have to agree with TC. Bad coaching and greedy players come out when a team plays another team that is below their skill level. Just this year, I saw a player pad their stats by 11 points. The coach kept that player in the game until the end. The final score was 17-0. Not good for anyone!
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

Only when the winning coach continues to shorten his bench and play 1st line every other shift. Then it is an issue.

Blow-outs game goals should not count towards any end of the year stat. In youth hockey a hat trick or playmaker award is not issued if the score differential is too great (say 9 or 10 goals). Same should be true in a HS hockey game.

If one team wins by more than 8 goals, then the team gets the win ... but the goals and assists are not counted to the end of the season player stats.
HShockeywatcher

Defensive Zone wrote:
TheClipper wrote:Ad's and coaches are intelligent folks who anticipate blowouts and prepare accordingly. Very, very rarely do you see unexpected blowouts.

I would have to agree with TC. Bad coaching and greedy players come out when a team plays another team that is below their skill level. Just this year, I saw a player pad their stats by 11 points. The coach kept that player in the game until the end. The final score was 17-0. Not good for anyone!
I don't know the specifics of this game, but (playing devil's advocate here) what if that player was a 1st or 2nd liner, the lines were being moved around so the players who don't get as much playing time could play with him and 10 of those points were assists?

Would that be bad? Personally, I say no, as I don't like the idea that a top player on a good team has to sit because his opponent is bad. If he is scoring, he's not doing it right, but if he's assisting 3rd or 4th liners, I have no issue with that personally.
Northfan99

Post by Northfan99 »

chubbs wrote:virginia 22 silver bay 0.
:roll: classless
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

It is not the responsibility of the better team to keep the game close. You should not ever tell your players to stop scoring in my opinion. Let the players play, it is the other teams job to keep the game close and competitive. Obviously you can sit your 1st line in the 3rd and rotate a 4th line but there is no reason to not let those 3 lines continue to keep scoring.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Northfan99 wrote:
chubbs wrote:virginia 22 silver bay 0.
:roll: classless
Agreed - they didn't need to go for 2 on that last TD. :roll:
Tender Mender

Post by Tender Mender »

HShockeywatcher wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread to bring this up. On Yahoo!'s front page this morning was an article about a girls basketball score of 108-3. While it is probably extreme, in short the coach said "I've been on the losing end and was very insulted when the other team stopped trying. I didn't want to insult/embarrass the other team."

Football is probably the one sport where you can just make your game one dimensional; run the ball up the middle and make them stop you. In many other team sports, it's difficult to say what to do.

For the most part, on here, we either get responses like his from probably half the posters and the other half go into no detail and simply say it's classless and they shouldn't run up the score. I'm curious if there are any comments about suggestions of what to do in this situation if you think it's classless to run up the score.
I completely agree, with all of this post... In football, you run the ball up the middle, and make them stop you. But what most of the "whiners" on here are saying is that if the RB gets through a hole, he should just stop????? get a clue guys. Hockey is a reactionary sport, if a guy intercepts a pass and it leads to a breakaway, he should try to score. Not skate into the corner and play keep away. I've been on both sides, my first year coaching our team didn't win a league game... The very next year, we were in the state tournament. Had our guys not had the experience of losing, we would never have been as good as we were the next year.

Now I am coaching youth hockey, and numerous times this year we have had big leads. We started moving F's to D and D's to F's. Then we had our better players take the 3rd perios off, and STILL, our 3rd line, etc, conitued to score goals. Someone once told me...."our kids practice all week just like all the other teams, they shouldn't be expected to stop playing just because the other team is inferior."

Bottom line, all of you complaining about the scores getting run up, obviously have never been involved in the game short of spectating. And if you have, you should know that had you been in that situation, you would have wanted to play your best, not down to the other teams level. That being said, I understand that it is embarrassing to lose like that. Again I've been there, but I would never get upset at the other team for playing their hardest, regardless of the score.
salol44

Post by salol44 »

I honestly believe that neither teams have fun in these kind of situations. I don't think coaches and players (majority of them) want to win 15-0, unless it's for the state title. Nobody likes being on the losing end either.

I don't think much can be done about it, that's why we always have the same argument every year.

Maybe they could institute running time in the 2nd instead of the 3rd. Maybe refs can slow the game down a bit by taking 5 - 10 seconds longer on face offs, icings...etc. All I know is that this happens every year and I don't think there is anything that can realistically be done.
MGnosmirc21

Post by MGnosmirc21 »

Blow outs are classless if they are intentional. Sometimes when the reserve players are getting more playing time, they tend to want to impress. You can't blame them for playing hard on limited opportunities. If the big-guns on a team are still in there, and still firing away, yes.
HShockeywatcher

MGnosmirc21 wrote:Blow outs are classless if they are intentional. Sometimes when the reserve players are getting more playing time, they tend to want to impress. You can't blame them for playing hard on limited opportunities. If the big-guns on a team are still in there, and still firing away, yes.
I don't necessarily disagree in principle, but I have a hard time telling Edina's top lines get to play 75 periods because of the conference they are in, but that Hill Murray's top lines get under 70 because of their conference. These are high school kids, seems quite immature.
salol44 wrote:I honestly believe that neither teams have fun in these kind of situations. I don't think coaches and players (majority of them) want to win 15-0, unless it's for the state title. Nobody likes being on the losing end either.

I don't think much can be done about it, that's why we always have the same argument every year.

Maybe they could institute running time in the 2nd instead of the 3rd. Maybe refs can slow the game down a bit by taking 5 - 10 seconds longer on face offs, icings...etc. All I know is that this happens every year and I don't think there is anything that can realistically be done.
You are correct, but what NEVER happens is someone who thinks it's classless giving a realistic solution.