Hack Journalism, Seedy Parents, or Whiny Supporters?Moorhead

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who is at fault here?

Terry Leabo Jr
2%
Moorhead Parents
30%
Terry Leabo Sr. and Denise Leabo (his parents)
37%
This is a witch hunt.
30%

Total votes: 43

Potatohead9

For what its worth.....my two cents on the subject.

Post by Potatohead9 »

Its the FARGO FORUM......the kid would have played for a FARGO team (NORTH) if he stayed on the other side of the river. The editor of the FORUM is a former Moorhead Alum class of '90, Moorhead youth hockey player and Moorhead JV player.....not sure if he ever played Varsity, was cut or Quit. He seems to have it in for the program. Moorhead began their State Run in '92. Fargo is a city of 100,000 plus, Moorhead 30,000. Where do you think the paper sells more subscriptions? Yeah I have to agree why now and why this kid......its not fair but did you really think this wasnt going to be sensationalized.
This is NOT the first hockey kid to transfer to Moorhead....I hope its the last but there really isnt anything you can do to stop this legally.
This stinks like ROTTEN POTATOES!
I am ashamed.
Now I feel as dirty as a private school.
Thats Mr. Potatohead to you!
The X

Re: For what its worth.....my two cents on the subject.

Post by The X »

Potatohead9 wrote:Its the FARGO FORUM......the kid would have played for a FARGO team (NORTH) if he stayed on the other side of the river. The editor of the FORUM is a former Moorhead Alum class of '90, Moorhead youth hockey player and Moorhead JV player.....not sure if he ever played Varsity, was cut or Quit. He seems to have it in for the program. Moorhead began their State Run in '92. Fargo is a city of 100,000 plus, Moorhead 30,000. Where do you think the paper sells more subscriptions? Yeah I have to agree why now and why this kid......its not fair but did you really think this wasnt going to be sensationalized.
This is NOT the first hockey kid to transfer to Moorhead....I hope its the last but there really isnt anything you can do to stop this legally.
I am ashamed.
Agreed.
The X

Post by The X »

Why would anybody think the parents transferred the kid for a better hockey opportunity? Just because said Father started a AAA team of 2nd and 3rd grade kids to play 65 games a year to which said kid played on?

Just another case of a parent making hockey the #1 thing in life. If any of you folks had your kids play AAA or know kids that left their association for the club/private school teams this would surprise you none. :roll:
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Potatohead9 wrote:Its the FARGO FORUM......the kid would have played for a FARGO team (NORTH) if he stayed on the other side of the river. The editor of the FORUM is a former Moorhead Alum class of '90, Moorhead youth hockey player and Moorhead JV player.....not sure if he ever played Varsity, was cut or Quit. He seems to have it in for the program. Moorhead began their State Run in '92. Fargo is a city of 100,000 plus, Moorhead 30,000. Where do you think the paper sells more subscriptions? Yeah I have to agree why now and why this kid......its not fair but did you really think this wasnt going to be sensationalized.
I am ashamed.

What is this supposed to mean? Does not have anything to do with the topic.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Zamman wrote:
I am ashamed.

What is this supposed to mean? Does not have anything to do with the topic.

Sure does - he meant "did what they do ALL THE TIME" !
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Yahoo! Maps says it is 0.5 miles and 2 minutes to drive from Fargo to Moorhead. I don't know where these two high schools are, but they aren't far apart.

The problem with rules and then enforcing them is they can have totally unintended effects. Where should a teen live? With his parents. They didn't feel like moving so they got the older sister an apartment, or maybe she works and got it herself. There's no way she wants her brother there every night. So he goes home, but he has to say it's actually his old home.

Now if the "friends of Moorhead" or whatever play this their way he'll be staying on the Minnesota side of the border most days. OF COURSE the car is registered in NoDak. As for his license, that's a bit weird. He could have gotten a Minnesota license.

Thanks for bringing this out on the board. An interesting discussion with no winner.

Related note: One of my good friends was the kid that got displaced when some moved to Minnesota for the glory of our state's HS hockey. They got the gold (won a state title) and he got the shaft. Guess what he says as an adult? It helped him understand that job promotions are earned when you are the best of both the internal and external candidates. His co-workers have a hard time with this concept. A hard way to learn a lesson, but he sure learned it.
Be kind. Rewind.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Again, involving the private schools. (Name one player from a private school that has done the exact same thing...)

:roll:

This was a good topic too...

8)
The Puck
LGW
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

underthenbar01 wrote:The AD himself says its "old news". Those reasons the 'concerned taxpayers' gave were ridiculous. Having sleep overs at his parents house? come on. Its his third year playing for Moorhead, clearly he's eligible. Sounds like some parents are mad their kids aren't getting ice time.. :roll:
Agree, if it would have really made you mad complain about it when he first transfers, not three years after the fact. I guess I don't know the rules completely, but I thought as long as he started attending Moorhead by his freshman year it would just count as open enrollment. Unless it's different if you live in a different state or something. Or maybe I'm missing something else. But either way, he's a junior now. Sorry their kid got cut but if it would have really mattered to them they would have said something before this year.
MHDhopeful

Post by MHDhopeful »

I am sick of all the drama centered around the Moorhead Hockey team this year. Around a month ago the team was put into the public eye with a hazing crisis. In my opinion the spud parent are getting to involved with the hockey team this year. This anonymous tip sounds way to fishy to me. Sound to me like there is a parent who is a little to disappointed in their child's ice time. Moorhead has had a great program for the last few decades. Who wouldn't want to pursue a better opportunity to play hockey at a higher level, especially one who lives in the Fargo/Moorhead area. This isn't the first time Moorhead has had players move to their community to better pursue hockey. Off the top of my mind I can think of at least 3 other players that have moved to Moorhead in in the last 4 years. Not once during those 4 years has it been an issue. That's my $.02
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

MHDhopeful wrote:I am sick of all the drama centered around the Moorhead Hockey team this year. Around a month ago the team was put into the public eye with a hazing crisis. In my opinion the spud parent are getting to involved with the hockey team this year. This anonymous tip sounds way to fishy to me. Sound to me like there is a parent who is a little to disappointed in their child's ice time. Moorhead has had a great program for the last few decades. Who wouldn't want to pursue a better opportunity to play hockey at a higher level, especially one who lives in the Fargo/Moorhead area. This isn't the first time Moorhead has had players move to their community to better pursue hockey. Off the top of my mind I can think of at least 3 other players that have moved to Moorhead in in the last 4 years. Not once during those 4 years has it been an issue. That's my $.02
=D>

Nice post MHD. I agree there has been too much negative attention towards the Spuds this year. I am not sure if all of this information is coming from a disgruntled parent, but I would not rule out the possibility of foul play by said parent either. You just never know..

8)
The Puck
LGW
DMom

Post by DMom »

BodyShots wrote:
muckandgrind wrote:There aren't any other schools in Fargo he could've transferred to in order to get away from "the wrong crowd"?

I've heard of parents renting apartments to give them a different residency so their kids can play in different youth associations, but to transfer legal guardianship of your son to your 21 year old daughter so he can play hockey in a better program?

I'm sorry, but this doesn't pass the smell test in my eyes. Could be legal, but still stinks.
Hmmm, this sounds familiar! :idea:
:) Certainly not the first parents to sign over legal guardianship for hockey reasons.

Also, don't the Shattuck parents have to do that?

Would it really be better if they admitted the truth? that it was for hockey. If you all agree it's legal than why put a kid through interviews, etc. Let him play hockey in peace.
thunderbay80

Post by thunderbay80 »

O-townClown wrote:Yahoo! Maps says it is 0.5 miles and 2 minutes to drive from Fargo to Moorhead. I don't know where these two high schools are, but they aren't far apart.

The problem with rules and then enforcing them is they can have totally unintended effects. Where should a teen live? With his parents. They didn't feel like moving so they got the older sister an apartment, or maybe she works and got it herself. There's no way she wants her brother there every night. So he goes home, but he has to say it's actually his old home.

Now if the "friends of Moorhead" or whatever play this their way he'll be staying on the Minnesota side of the border most days. OF COURSE the car is registered in NoDak. As for his license, that's a bit weird. He could have gotten a Minnesota license.

Thanks for bringing this out on the board. An interesting discussion with no winner.

Related note: One of my good friends was the kid that got displaced when some moved to Minnesota for the glory of our state's HS hockey. They got the gold (won a state title) and he got the shaft. Guess what he says as an adult? It helped him understand that job promotions are earned when you are the best of both the internal and external candidates. His co-workers have a hard time with this concept. A hard way to learn a lesson, but he sure learned it.
Good point. He could've stayed with mom and dad, toughed it out, and learned some good life lessons. He's now playing good hockey, but now with his and his family's name dragged through the mud. No winners here.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

thunderbay80 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:Yahoo! Maps says it is 0.5 miles and 2 minutes to drive from Fargo to Moorhead. I don't know where these two high schools are, but they aren't far apart.

Good point. He could've stayed with mom and dad, toughed it out, and learned some good life lessons. He's now playing good hockey, but now with his and his family's name dragged through the mud. No winners here.
Yep....and what life lessons is he learning here? "Find the loop-holes in the rules son, and exploit them for your personal benefit. Don't worry about right and wrong. Make sure to cover your tracks and lie about it when questioned."
The X

Post by The X »

muckandgrind wrote:
thunderbay80 wrote:

Yep....and what life lessons is he learning here? "Find the loop-holes in the rules son, and exploit them for your personal benefit. Don't worry about right and wrong. Make sure to cover your tracks and lie about it when questioned."
Exactly.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

muckandgrind wrote:
thunderbay80 wrote:

Was the move made probably just to play hockey at a better program? Yeah, most likely. But who cares. Open enrollment isn't a loop hole in the rules. It's a rule in itself. It's specifically addressed in the MSHSL rule book. If you're upset about it be mad at them. We could a list of probably 50 kids playing high school hockey who have used t the rule of open enrollment to their advantage. I'm not sure why this kid first gets his own thread ripping on him and his parents, and second, I'm not sure why it wasn't brought up his freshman or sophomore year. You can sit and rip on his parents but what about the parents who brought this up for investigation? What message are they sending? "If something doesn't go your way and you get cut, than just sit around and blame someone else and make a lot of noise about it. Than people will see what jerks they are."
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

warriors41 wrote:
muckandgrind wrote:
thunderbay80 wrote: Good point. He could've stayed with mom and dad, toughed it out, and learned some good life lessons. He's now playing good hockey, but now with his and his family's name dragged through the mud. No winners here.

Was the move made probably just to play hockey at a better program? Yeah, most likely. But who cares. Open enrollment isn't a loop hole in the rules. It's a rule in itself. It's specifically addressed in the MSHSL rule book. If you're upset about it be mad at them. We could a list of probably 50 kids playing high school hockey who have used t the rule of open enrollment to their advantage. I'm not sure why this kid first gets his own thread ripping on him and his parents, and second, I'm not sure why it wasn't brought up his freshman or sophomore year. You can sit and rip on his parents but what about the parents who brought this up for investigation? What message are they sending? "If something doesn't go your way and you get cut, than just sit around and blame someone else and make a lot of noise about it. Than people will see what jerks they are."
Then why lie about it? If it's no big deal, why not just be upfront about it and say "Yes, we wanted our son to go play for the Spuds"?

This is not just a simple case of open enrollment, by the way. It's an issue because you are dealing with two different states. This kid is living in North Dakota, yet going to school on the Minnesota taxpayer's dime. That is against the rules. The loophole exploited was that the parents transferred guardianship of their son to their 21 year old daughter who had an apartment in Moorhead.
thunderbay80

Post by thunderbay80 »

Unfortunately, right or wrong, this kid's name should not have been published. He is the one who will get the flack from all sides of this issue. I may be off base here, but it appears that the sister spoke with the Forum, not the parents - was that a 'mature' decision for a legal guardian?
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

thunderbay80 wrote:Unfortunately, right or wrong, this kid's name should not have been published. He is the one who will get the flack from all sides of this issue. I may be off base here, but it appears that the sister spoke with the Forum, not the parents - was that a 'mature' decision for a legal guardian?
Did you also see that the "mature" dad deflected all questions TO the daughter?
iceme

Post by iceme »

This has gotten ugly. The person getting hurt here is the player. The Moorhead parents who started this investigation should be ashamed. Who cares? It's a game. I'm sure the MSHSL has already looked into this. Please leave this kid alone. I would lock this thread up. Nothing productive can possibly result from this discussion other than more hate towards a high school kid. Not what this forum is for.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

This kind of exposure is going to hurt MYH. Parents and kids that see their friends and neighbors that supported the program both financially and by volunteering and see kids from elsewhere playing in high school will think twice about what activities the kids should be in. I know one community that is well known for this and they are having problems with getting enough kids to field youth teams. I know you cannot stop them from moving in but if the coaching staff makes it clear that they will not play it will stop in a hurry and you will see an explosion in the youth numbers. High school hockey is unique and hockey communities need to realize that you will not have great team every year because some classes don't have as many athletes as others and that you need to build from the bottom up.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

iceme wrote:This has gotten ugly. The person getting hurt here is the player. The Moorhead parents who started this investigation should be ashamed. Who cares? It's a game. I'm sure the MSHSL has already looked into this. Please leave this kid alone. I would lock this thread up. Nothing productive can possibly result from this discussion other than more hate towards a high school kid. Not what this forum is for.
IMO, the parents of the player are the ones who should be ashamed....not the parents who registered the complaint...because, in reality, if their allegations are true, we, as Minnesotans are paying the education bill for a student who probably should be attending a school in North Dakota.

It's not "just a game", it really goes to the heart of "residency" and the misuse of taxpayer dollars....Not to mention the parents who are so desperate to get their kids to a better hockey program, they give up their parental rights to their daughter and then feel the need to lie about their motives.

I don't blame the kid one bit. He's just a kid, afterall. He should be off-limits when it comes to criticism, but the parents and the daughter are fair game, IMO.

And, no, this thread should not be locked. This is a valid news story and goes to the heart of many discussions on this forum when it comes to open enrollment, residency, reasons for switching schools, etc.
Laker Guy

Post by Laker Guy »

This one is on the parents - as muckandgrind says, the young man is just a kid. Doubt he asked to have his sister appointed his legal guardian, etc, etc. Anyone who know the father here knows that this kid has jumped from one youth organization to another from the time he was a mite player. It is unfortunate what messages have been sent to this kid during the past 10 years.
stpaul

Moorhead

Post by stpaul »

Sorry warriors41 but this is not about open enrollment. The kid didn't apply to go to Moorhead through open enrollment. We're all quite certain that residents of other states, no matter how close they are, can get into a MN school through open enrollment. The argument that this should have been brought up in 9th grade doesn't hold up either. It's news now because he is now a hockey star. The Forum article is fair and it is newsworthy. And for those who think this one should be locked up - we talk about this stuff all the time on this board. There are several posters who write little else other than where private school kids live and played their youth hockey. It is a legtimate story and discussion about high school hockey. Almost all of the posters have written without mentioning him by name.

Also - observer commented earlier that this goes on all the time in the metro without notice. I disagree. It's probably worse in basketball than hockey in the metro. It has gotten attention. There have been several Star Tribune articles about Hopkins boys & girls basketball championship teams having been assembled with stars from AAU teams and from other districts. There has been much written about the use of open enrollment for sports.
bjspud12

Post by bjspud12 »

Not our fault ND hockey sucks
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

bjspud12 wrote:Not our fault ND hockey sucks
deep thought, while I congratulate you on your obvious grasp of the English language ... I do question your ability to add depth and insight into the conversation. Thanks for the effort though!

**In the spirit of the thread, the kid should be left alone. His parents (as noted in an earlier post) have obviously put hockey above all else. I can't imagine who came up with this plan. While this is within the rules, my biggest problem is the fact that I (we) are paying for this with our hard (?) earned money.

I vote we send them a bill for the Mn education.
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO