Aha vsPrior Lake

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gitter

Post by gitter »

shotpassskate wrote:As an AHA fan and supporter, I will say this about the program. Yes they have taken a step back from the early 2000's teams. Maybe the down turn in the economy hurt with getting kids to come and play for them. Yes a hard year for the kids with a couple of illnesses within the team family, coach and a parent. But overall the program I feel is strong, kids want to play at AHA, confernece is what it is, playing AA is where this program needs to be playing. Just need to get back to bringing in the top players and very good role players.
As for the lost to PL last night, PL played a good game and are coached well. Anybody can beat anyone on a given night. The past 30 days one team was improving and one team took a step back. There has been some upsets all year. MN hockey as a whole I feel is getting better not just at the top but at the bottom also.
Good luck to PL vs Edina. AHA will be back and a force again.
Good post. I think most people realized that AHA was down this year, as compared to years past. Obviously there can be a number of reasons, but in the end it was what it was.
blueblood

AHA

Post by blueblood »

HSHW still thinks they are a top 10 team and worthy of a #2 seed in 2AA. :shock:
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

As probably AHA's number 1 fan, I would like to interject some information.
Yes AHA appeared down this year, I look at them as Jekyl and Hyde. They played their first game of the year almost two weeks into the season and tied a Chanhassen team that has two nice goalies, but not a lot of scorers....yet. Watch out for them.
They played their second game against a Roseau team that at home are as good as any team in the state and lost 2 - 1. They went into ER and went up 3 - 0 before ER took off and scored 6 goals, showing AHA's vulnerability.
During the Scwan's cup AHA played much better beating Burnsville in OT, dismantling Blake and winning a shootout with CDH and everyone thought AHA was going to be the team to beat, even me. AHA then had to deal with Edina and looked like they were going to win, till two Defense went down. Edina crashes the net and pulls off the win. The next week AHA loses to Tonka in OT, struggled with HM and beat number 1 EP. Up and down and all around.
SSM was a given.....I think the BSM loss is the one that broke the back.

For conference play, no one on this board really knows about the Missota teams except that for the last 11 years AHA has dominated, so the so-called know-it-alls on this board assume that because AHA is only beating teams by 1 or 2 goals they are history. Well, I do not comment on teams around the state because I watch AHA primarily and know that the "lowly" teams in the Missota, as people think, are actually getting better and can compete and are playing AA, see Chanhassen and Shakope and PL( I know PL is no longer in the Missota). So the conference will look a lot different next year and I still see AHA winning the conference.
A lot has happened this year with their coach sick a good part of the time, along with the Jekyl and Hyde syndrome. But they are 14 - 18 kids and go out and play their hearts out because they love the game.
As a final note, I got up this morning and the sun came out. Yes the loss sucks, but someone has to win and someone has to lose and something tells me this in not going to be the biggest surprise.
Edgy

Post by Edgy »

There are always reasons why a team wins - or in this case why a team loses. Also, lots of analysis that can be done to try and make sense out of things - as you mention. I also watched the AHA - Edina game, and for whatever reason Edina didn't seem interested until the thrid period - then dominated. I do not think playing in the Missota helps AHA, but they do play strong teams outside of the conference as you have mentioned. I also agree with you that there are a lot of teams out there that are capable of winning on any given night that never get much mention - until games like last night when Prior Lake sends AHA packing. As you mention, tomorrow is a different day.

It could be the result of the "transfer rule" starting to have an impact...
blueblood

Missota

Post by blueblood »

Zamman is right on with his comments about the "lowly" Missota conference. It is getting better, and it will be even better next year. The Missota pulled off two upsets in Sectionals so far this season and a third team is in the semi's and a fourth plays #1 seed Blake tonight:

Farmington beat Rochester JM in 1AA
Red Wing beat Mankato West in 1A
New Prague shuts out Northfield in in 1A (Note: this team probably has the most underated goalie in the State)
Chaska vs. Blake in 2A

Opposing coaches, give the Missota teams a chance to play your teams. You may be surprised. There is a lot of talent in the Missota with names like Hurley, Bianchi, Smith, Peterson, Scofield, Morris, Stegora and Kelly ready to take on anyone. (Just wish the HockeyHub guys would look outside the Lake and SSC box once in a while :shock: )

I know Hermantown plays Red Wing and New Prague, so kudos to the Hawks.

Finally, good luck to all remaining playoff teams in A and AA. I'm already looking forward to next year. :)

bb
ihatethestlblues

Post by ihatethestlblues »

sure the missota has some stronger teams than it may have in the past... but that's been the case at various points in the last decade or so... and aha still beat the better teams of the conference by 7 or 8 goals on a routine basis.

being out of minnesota and only looking at scores... it looks like aha could have beaten anyone this year... and also could have lost to anyone... obviously trebil's illness plays a role....

good points by zamman et al, but is there really any doubt that aha is not what it was from 04-07? no... not really. as for the question about dropping back to A... that's something of a ridiculous statement. however...

there was a time when aha beat prior lake by 6-9 goals twice a year...

:(
Rich Clarke

Holy Angels and Missota

Post by Rich Clarke »

A couple points. Every team can recite their high points and use them as proof of their true abilities, while arguing that the low points are merely signs of inconsistency. They also can claim that their competition is suddenly much better. The truth is that the team is simply having a down year. That was certainly the case this year with Holy Angels.

Stars fans citing the EP win as proof of their true abilities forget that their opponents are also 15-17 year old kids who don't always show up for games against teams they expect to beat easily. Does anyone really believe that Spring Lake Park is a top team because they upset Benilde? The reality is that Holy Angels did not beat the EP team it would see in a playoff game, any more than it beat the Edina team that suddenly appeared in the third period of its game.

Further, I don't care that Holy Angels lost a single game to Chaska for the same reason. But when they need overtime to beat Chanhassen--twice, tie New Prague, and lose several other games, it's not inconsistency as much as a team having a down year.

It should seem apparent in the efforts made to excuse the team's losses--Roseau, for all its tradition, was in 1-5 when they played Holy Angels. Home or not, this was not the typically formidable team that comes out of Roseau. Elk River had been outscored 14-2 by top ten teams Edina, EP, and Grand Rapids before exploding past Holy Angels 6-3. Both Elk River and Roseau have deep traditions but this year were sub-500 teams. It's not like Holy Angels was playing the Russians.

As for Holy Angels' Missota competition, I suspect that these teams have a future similar to a team like Burnsville, who played in the Missota in the 1960s and 70s before becoming a dominant member of the Lake South in the 80s. Or Elk River, who in the 80s played in the North Suburban before becoming a dominant team in the 90s and beyond. But for all the potential those teams may have, none is currently anything more than very average. Although rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, they do provide at least some measure of relative strength. PageStat, which is completely non-subjective, ranks New Prague 67th out of 156 teams. The rest of the teams are below that. I saw a post using Farmington's win over Rochester John Marshall as proof of the strength of the Missota. Of course JM lost to Eastview and only beat a 2-23-0 Kennedy team 3-0. Farmington actually needed overtime to beat Kennedy. Park Cottage Grove, who finished 0-17-1 in the Suburban East, beat Farmington 8-2. Hopkins, who finished 0-8 in the Lake, beat Chaska 9-3. In fact, in games against the Lake, South Suburban, Suburban East, and North Suburban, HA's Missota competition was 3-8, with Chanhassen managing to win close games against terrible Coon Rapids and North Metro teams, and Farmington beating Kennedy in overtime. Of course, the teams in these conferences playing Missota teams were the bottom of those conferences.

I'm not trying to bash these young programs, but they are not even close to the level that they will hopefully be in a few years. They also aren't the caliber of teams that an elite program like Holy Angels should have struggles.

Finally, it's a credit to Holy Angels that it was able to play up to the level of its top competition this year, just as most elite programs do. Few teams enjoy playing a Duluth East, Edina, or Hill Murray even in a down year, because they know that well coached teams are always a tough win. But playing teams tough and actually beating them consistently is what it takes to reach that next level. And consistently beating the average teams is essential. This year, Holy Angels just couldn't do that.

Hopefully, Coach Trebil will recover and the Stars will return to being a top twenty team in the future. They are just too good of a program to make excuses.
mn man

Re: Holy Angels and Missota

Post by mn man »

Rich Clarke wrote:A couple points. Every team can recite their high points and use them as proof of their true abilities, while arguing that the low points are merely signs of inconsistency. They also can claim that their competition is suddenly much better. The truth is that the team is simply having a down year. That was certainly the case this year with Holy Angels.

Stars fans citing the EP win as proof of their true abilities forget that their opponents are also 15-17 year old kids who don't always show up for games against teams they expect to beat easily. Does anyone really believe that Spring Lake Park is a top team because they upset Benilde? The reality is that Holy Angels did not beat the EP team it would see in a playoff game, any more than it beat the Edina team that suddenly appeared in the third period of its game.

Further, I don't care that Holy Angels lost a single game to Chaska for the same reason. But when they need overtime to beat Chanhassen--twice, tie New Prague, and lose several other games, it's not inconsistency as much as a team having a down year.

It should seem apparent in the efforts made to excuse the team's losses--Roseau, for all its tradition, was in 1-5 when they played Holy Angels. Home or not, this was not the typically formidable team that comes out of Roseau. Elk River had been outscored 14-2 by top ten teams Edina, EP, and Grand Rapids before exploding past Holy Angels 6-3. Both Elk River and Roseau have deep traditions but this year were sub-500 teams. It's not like Holy Angels was playing the Russians.

As for Holy Angels' Missota competition, I suspect that these teams have a future similar to a team like Burnsville, who played in the Missota in the 1960s and 70s before becoming a dominant member of the Lake South in the 80s. Or Elk River, who in the 80s played in the North Suburban before becoming a dominant team in the 90s and beyond. But for all the potential those teams may have, none is currently anything more than very average. Although rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, they do provide at least some measure of relative strength. PageStat, which is completely non-subjective, ranks New Prague 67th out of 156 teams. The rest of the teams are below that. I saw a post using Farmington's win over Rochester John Marshall as proof of the strength of the Missota. Of course JM lost to Eastview and only beat a 2-23-0 Kennedy team 3-0. Farmington actually needed overtime to beat Kennedy. Park Cottage Grove, who finished 0-17-1 in the Suburban East, beat Farmington 8-2. Hopkins, who finished 0-8 in the Lake, beat Chaska 9-3. In fact, in games against the Lake, South Suburban, Suburban East, and North Suburban, HA's Missota competition was 3-8, with Chanhassen managing to win close games against terrible Coon Rapids and North Metro teams, and Farmington beating Kennedy in overtime. Of course, the teams in these conferences playing Missota teams were the bottom of those conferences.

I'm not trying to bash these young programs, but they are not even close to the level that they will hopefully be in a few years. They also aren't the caliber of teams that an elite program like Holy Angels should have struggles.

Finally, it's a credit to Holy Angels that it was able to play up to the level of its top competition this year, just as most elite programs do. Few teams enjoy playing a Duluth East, Edina, or Hill Murray even in a down year, because they know that well coached teams are always a tough win. But playing teams tough and actually beating them consistently is what it takes to reach that next level. And consistently beating the average teams is essential. This year, Holy Angels just couldn't do that.

Hopefully, Coach Trebil will recover and the Stars will return to being a top twenty team in the future. They are just too good of a program to make excuses.
Wow, is this Mike Greenlay? Excellent analysis
ihatethestlblues

Re: Holy Angels and Missota

Rich Clarke wrote:A couple points. Every team can recite their high points and use them as proof of their true abilities, while arguing that the low points are merely signs of inconsistency. They also can claim that their competition is suddenly much better. The truth is that the team is simply having a down year. That was certainly the case this year with Holy Angels.

nicely written. i think the margins of victory in conference say it all for aha in the past few years.
formerly got puck 2345, actually don't hate the blues
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

In my opinion Holy Angels definitely had a down year. I also don't think anyone gives enough credit to the teams in the Missota conference. If you take a look at the class A section tournaments going on there are several Missota teams doing well. Take New Prague for example, they have a shot at state this year, their youth teams are ranked and doing very well, and they are getting better every year. From a lot of people's views, the close margin victories are because "AHA is down." Some credit has to be given to some of the small teams that deserve it. It seems like, this year, Holy Angels only got "fluke wins" for their big wins, but no "fluke losses" against the weaker teams.
ihatethestlblues

starmvp wrote:In my opinion Holy Angels definitely had a down year. I also don't think anyone gives enough credit to the teams in the Missota conference. If you take a look at the class A section tournaments going on there are several Missota teams doing well. Take New Prague for example, they have a shot at state this year, their youth teams are ranked and doing very well, and they are getting better every year. From a lot of people's views, the close margin victories are because "AHA is down." Some credit has to be given to some of the small teams that deserve it. It seems like, this year, Holy Angels only got "fluke wins" for their big wins, but no "fluke losses" against the weaker teams.
as far as "fluke losses" go... i think it's more telling that there was a lot of bend before the break (first Missota loss in foreverish)...

it's kind of hard to tell what component of aha's situation can be attributed to their competition rising vs. aha coming down to their competition. certainly though, with they type of talent that was on the 07 team for example, aha would still roll through their conference schedule....
formerly got puck 2345, actually don't hate the blues
rockhead

Post by rockhead »

Rich Clarke: Great Analysis and thoughts.

mn man: It's waaaaay better than Greenlay, but that would be a different topic. :D
MNpuckfanatic77

Post by MNpuckfanatic77 »

I agree with a lot of whats been said on this thread. However, one statement continues to baffle me; "should AHA opt to single A hockey?". I dont know if the people making those posts really have an idea of what they're talking about. No offense to those people but let's be honest here, AHA's program is no where near to even considering going back down. And for clarification, I believe I saw an earlier post implying AHA is in class A right now? Maybe I misread but just to clarify, AHA is and has been a AA team for the past several years. All in all besides that I think everything said on this thread has been very accurate and well put. Good job.
ya-man

Post by ya-man »

It really surprised me to see how this year ended up for AHA. I've been following the school for 10 years with 2 kids going through. I've become a fan of Trebil's style. For the past 3 or 4 years it appeared to have a decline but have somehow been competitive in the Section. I thought they would be down going into the year, and after the 1st 3 or 4 games but then they opened my eyes at the Schwan and what I think was just a blown game against a mediocre Edina team. It really appeared they would have a good chance in the section. But then the last 3 games were maybe what I thought they would be all along.
My concern now is that there may be some departure to Shattuck (ala, Mike Reilly).
davesakillerdavesamess

Post by davesakillerdavesamess »

Always tough to see your favorite squad struggle in such an up and down season. Everyone seems to forget AHA was a non existant program until the late 90's when Trebil came in and took the helm. He brought with him a classy confidence and expectations. You will never see him drop to Class A, that was the one condition he had when he took the job that the school allow him to opt up.
He breeds discipline, leaders, hard work and a belief in his systems. The past couple seasons have been short on depth and fully committing to his systems. This year goaltending and defense were the shortfall. Year in year out it is hard to find a team that transitions and moves the puck as well.
Could it be the economy with private school tuition, the transfer rule, or so many private school options to choose from? I think they all play a part, but it will stay a program at the top of the class because of his development of talented hockey players and dedication to bettering young men on and off the ice. Give credit to the program where it is due. How many talented squads do not win a State Tourney or fall short of winning a section. Moorhead in 2005 was outcoached with twice the talent on their team against the Stars. The talent will return with parents seeing the educational opportunity and the known need to fill roster spots.
Did anyone else have more State Championships from 2000-2010?
I'm happy he is healthy!
He breeds winning and develops talented kids!
Lamere, Eddy, Hillen, Barriball, Mattson, Matson, Johnson, Cooper, Kilpatrick, Polachek, Brutlag, Howells, Cameron, Hengen, Taylor to name a few!!!!!
You live through the ups and downs and always look forward to next year! :(