Do you respect the Class "A" champion?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Do you respect the "A" Champion?

Yes, no matter who wins. They are state champs, and should be called that
17%
Yes, but only when a legit small community wins it (Hermantown, Warroad, etc)
60%
No, the only true State Champ is the team that wins the AA tourney
23%

Total votes: 35

Master Recruiter

Do you respect the Class "A" champion?

Post by Master Recruiter »

what are your thoughts on the Class A champion. Do you really consider them state champions? Does your opinion change if its a private compared to a public?

Watching the A games today, a few co workers were complaining about STA (who doesn't) and that the A title means nothing, unless its truly a small community school like Hermantown, Little Falls, Warroad, etc....

and that the real State champ is the AA winner
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Poll option number 2 is right on. If Hermantown wins this year, great for them. They are a public school that is in the class A parameters, and a deserving class A champ. If STA wins, it really means nothing to me. Just another example of a private being scared to play with the big boys.
EP two out of three.
Ken Dryden

Re: Do you respect the Class "A" champion?

Post by Ken Dryden »

Absolutely the Class 'A' champion is a real state champ...but...

All private schools should be 'AA' (or have their own championship like Shattuck)...and then this discussion never happens again.

Small towns like Roseau want the big crown so all the power to them...its up to them to go up. Can't opt down though even though there are plenty of AA teams that wouldn't stand a chance at the state tournament too.
Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter »

HockeyMN1 wrote:Poll option number 2 is right on. If Hermantown wins this year, great for them. They are a public school that is in the class A parameters, and a deserving class A champ. If STA wins, it really means nothing to me. Just another example of a private being scared to play with the big boys.
I basically agree with this word for word

nice post :wink:
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Let's be P.C. here. Everybody is a champion..... :roll:

Class A is the JV, and I can't even call them the JV champs, because they don't allow the AA JV teams to compete in a state tournament.

Nuff said.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

BodyShots wrote:Let's be P.C. here. Everybody is a champion..... :roll:

Class A is the JV, and I can't even call them the JV champs, because they don't allow the AA JV teams to compete in a state tournament.

Nuff said.
Yeah, Class A teams led by the likes of TJ Oshie, Brock Nelson, Blake Wheeler, Jordan Schroeder, Adam Krause, Ben Hanowski, Drew LeBlanc, Matt Niskanen, Keith Ballard, etc wouldn't be able to beat Eden Prairie's or Edina's JV team.
Red Ice

Post by Red Ice »

1 TOURNEY! Sweet 16. 1 champ.

Remember the 80's? 10 years 10 champs.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

warriors41 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:Let's be P.C. here. Everybody is a champion..... :roll:

Nuff said.
Yeah, Class A teams led by the likes of TJ Oshie, Brock Nelson, Blake Wheeler, Jordan Schroeder, Adam Krause, Ben Hanowski, Drew LeBlanc, Matt Niskanen, Keith Ballard, etc wouldn't be able to beat Eden Prairie's or Edina's JV team.
Some of those guys must agree since they left early. :roll:
chubbs

Post by chubbs »

Let's be P.C. here. Everybody is a champion.....

Nuff said
You are a joke
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

Yes, when it's a school that works with and develops their own players from an early age. That can be said for AA as well.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Look at the attendance for Class A quarterfinals.

I think that tells you what the general public presumes.
BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs »

Not really. AA is the only one I care to watch. Same with in football, anything below 5A is a joke.