STA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should there be a seperate class for private schools

Poll ended at Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 69

NorthHockey2013

STA

Post by NorthHockey2013 »

Well once again a private school has ruined a small communities hope of a state championship as they beat TRF. Next year there better be a 3rd class for recruiting.. i mean private schools
Master Recruiter

Re: STA

Post by Master Recruiter »

NorthHockey2013 wrote:Well once again a private school has ruined a small communities hope of a state championship as they beat TRF. Next year there better be a 3rd class for recruiting.. i mean private schools
these BIG, BAD private schools at the Single A level dont re-build..they just RE-LOAD!

Total yawn-fest watching STA hammer these 2 small town teams
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

All privates, even the teensey weensey ones, should be in AA. That would be completely fair. The goal of class A is to provide a level of competitiveness for teams with a small amount of kids to draw from. STA draws from a huge area. It is essentially a co-op of top end kids from almost every school in the east metro. Their listed enrollment should be the combined enrollment of every school district they draw from. If that is still under the A number for some tiny private, then fine stay in A. Otherwise man up, pun intended.
EP two out of three.
noflybys

Post by noflybys »

Trophy Chasers. Sick and tired of St. Thomas. Don't blame it on the head master. If you pushed hard enough you could move up. I wish no one would set up games with this team until they move up... Let the class a tournement be for the little schools from one community.. Not the little school that gets kids from the whole state. Our they bringing back there dorms?.... Lets call them the Shattuck of Class A
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

Lou nanne said on KFAN that STA belongs in A but would love to see them play in AA
2012 pond hockey All Star
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

wblhcky24 wrote:Lou nanne said on KFAN that STA belongs in A but would love to see them play in AA
Read between the lines: Lou Nanne says get the hell up.
EP two out of three.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

NorthHockey2013 wrote:Well once again a private school has ruined a small communities hope of a state championship as they beat TRF. Next year there better be a 3rd class for recruiting.. i mean private schools
Yeah, it makes me sick to be honest. If they are blowing out Hermantown, I would love to see half the crowd get up and leave in the 3rd period to send a message to MN Hockey.

How can STA not see how empty those championships are?
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

PoniesDad45 wrote:
Yeah, it makes me sick to be honest. If they are blowing out Hermantown, I would love to see half the crowd get up and leave in the 3rd period to send a message to MN Hockey.

How can STA not see how empty those championships are?
They're too distracted by what kids they need to scoop up for next year.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

Heh, I shoulda used this thread, sorry Karl 8)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think the AA tourney would be better with STA in it. They belong there, this Class A thing I think is a disappointment for everyone involved.
Rossbury21

Post by Rossbury21 »

It is sad for the players and the program that they do not move up. Yes they [St. Thomas] belong in Class AA, but they play down. With this said, why take away from Class A, yeah it's not the "Big Boys" but it is still great hockey, and I don't care what team is playing, I watch the state tournament because it is hockey at a pure form. To quote the movie Mystery Alaska, "They don't make a million bucks, they play because they love hockey."

And what would making EVERY private school do to kids playing at small schools like St. Paul Academy, Providence, Holy Family, schools that are not hockey powers. The kids would not play because they have no chance against Cretin, Hill, Eden Prairie, Edina, ect. Yes STA should be Class AA, but no way in hell (can I say that on this board?) should EVERY team be up there.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Rossbury21 wrote:It is sad for the players and the program that they do not move up. Yes they [St. Thomas] belong in Class AA, but they play down. With this said, why take away from Class A, yeah it's not the "Big Boys" but it is still great hockey, and I don't care what team is playing, I watch the state tournament because it is hockey at a pure form. To quote the movie Mystery Alaska, "They don't make a million bucks, they play because they love hockey."

And what would making EVERY private school do to kids playing at small schools like St. Paul Academy, Providence, Holy Family, schools that are not hockey powers. The kids would not play because they have no chance against Cretin, Hill, Eden Prairie, Edina, ect. Yes STA should be Class AA, but no way in hell (can I say that on this board?) should EVERY team be up there.
Who's to say those schools won't be hockey powers in 10 years? STA certainly wasn't great a decade ago. And to be honest, I don't care if they can't compete with top publics, they should be in AA. If it kills small private school hockey than so be it, more kids stick with their community programs.
EP two out of three.
hockeyrocks

Post by hockeyrocks »

Kind of need to disagree with the theme here. Yes, STA is the best team in class A this year. But keep in mind, they didn't even make it to the tourney last two years because they were beat by a PUBLIC CLASS A school. With that said, I do think STA should move up as they clearly recruit players and the size of the school warrants it. With Breck's success at recruiting and not to mention winning 4 of the last 11 championships, they should also move up. As for the others, let them play in class A.

The real answer here is to go back to one, 16 team single class tourney and let the best 16 fight it out every March!
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Move up!

1000 male students at school. Any other school would have 2000 students with the other half being girls... I know, I know no girls at St Thomas...

Recruiting south Metro...
1000 male students to form a hockey team...
Successful track record in Class A, sometimes dominate in years...

Move up :!:
deacon

Post by deacon »

DmanDad1980 wrote:Move up!

1000 male students at school. Any other school would have 2000 students with the other half being girls... I know, I know no girls at St Thomas...

Recruiting south Metro...
1000 male students to form a hockey team...
Successful track record in Class A, sometimes dominate in years...

Move up :!:
How many time are people going to screw this up? They have ~550 boys in the upper school and MSHSL doubles it to get it around ~1,000, which still puts them in class A. Do yourself a favor and do some research before you post so you stop making yourself look so ignorant.

I did graduate from St. Thomas and I would like to see them move up, but if the board of directors don't think it benefits the school in any way, they won't do it. Another thing I really don't understand is why people think the kids that go to STA, Breck and the like owe something to their association and should stay there. This doesn't make any sense to me, they owe them nothing.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Sorry...

MOVE UP :!:

That any clearer... :roll:
SCC2009

Post by SCC2009 »

i think once you win a championship at the private level, you have to move up to AA for the next 3 years, then and only then do you have the option to opt down. iditots from the metro on here crying about private schools dont understand that with towns like st. cloud, rochester with private schools and mupltiple highschools, that the private school situation is not the same as in the metro. how is a huge highschool like eden prairie, edina, minnetonka, and even moorhead for outstae fair to towns with multiple public schools like st. cloud and st. cloud tech highshool. its more about education that is is about athletics in st. cloud...the public schools are a mess and kids at st. cloud cathedral do not wake up as a freshman and decided to go to private school..they have been doing it since kindergarten!
Who raises their stick after scoring an empty netter?
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

STA did apply to move up, they were going to play in the SEC next season. The Head Master at the school nixed it.
DontCallMeBuddyPal

STA

Post by DontCallMeBuddyPal »

I just heard the same thing. I don't get why everyone comes on and complains this hard about STA. They haven't been that good in the past two years and haven't even made the state tournament. They have one REALLY good year and it's back to the chopping block. This is a school that has been good for 5 years. Before that they were TERRIBLE. I'm talking 2 and 20 seasons as recently as 2003-2004. That was the usual at STA for the school's entire history. Football was king and hockey a complete after thought. (It's still the same in the eyes of the school but the Vannelli's are too good of coaches so they get the attention for the program). They have won 2 state championships in Class A in the past 5 or 6 years. Who cares? That's not that dominant.

Do I think STA should move up? Sure. They have proved that they can keep success going for more than a year or two. Before this past year or two, they didn't know if they could keep the excitement going at a military and football school foremost, hockey school in the eyes of the administration last. Everyone signed off on the move to AA this year. The Vannelli's, the A.D. etc. but the school's headmaster shut it down because he "fears moving to AA would draw more attention to the school and shifting its focus from a military to a hockey school and that is not in the school's best interest." You have to understand this WAS a military school first and foremost for so long that its engrained in the brains of some people there. Change is scary for them. I see it being much more difficult than some have said is as simple as just signing off. It will take more time than you think for them to move up as long as the headmaster is in charge of the move
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

youngblood08 wrote:STA did apply to move up, they were going to play in the SEC next season. The Head Master at the school nixed it.
Also heard that Headmaster (Tom Misch) and AD (Jack Zahr) refused coaches request to move up to AA. Among reasons cited were that they didn't want STA to be known first and foremost as a "hockey school."
Throwback

Post by Throwback »

HockeyMN1 wrote:All privates, even the teensey weensey ones, should be in AA. That would be completely fair. The goal of class A is to provide a level of competitiveness for teams with a small amount of kids to draw from. STA draws from a huge area. It is essentially a co-op of top end kids from almost every school in the east metro. Their listed enrollment should be the combined enrollment of every school district they draw from. If that is still under the A number for some tiny private, then fine stay in A. Otherwise man up, pun intended.
Great idea. See the problems we can solve here. =D>
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Lets just give all the "tiny schools" some hardware/medals so they feel loved. :roll:
hunter

Post by hunter »

St Thomas Acad grades 9-12, #534 Boys "A" hockey
Hill-Murray grades 9-12, #441 Boys "AA"hockey

Who's kidding who?
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

hunter wrote:St Thomas Acad grades 9-12, #534 Boys "A" hockey

Who's kidding who?
Not sure about STA, but HM is 7-12.

Just to let ya know!

8)
The Puck
LGW
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

The reason why I find this topic so tiring more than anything else is because there are other small and large, public and private programs that could have moved up years ago but don't. Why it should extend to just the privates is beyond me.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
deacon

Post by deacon »

PuckU126 wrote:
hunter wrote:St Thomas Acad grades 9-12, #534 Boys "A" hockey

Who's kidding who?
Not sure about STA, but HM is 7-12.

Just to let ya know!

8)
http://www.cadets.com/page/365