Top 75 High Schools teams of all-time

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Red Ice wrote:
east hockey wrote:#61: Williams

25.70 pts
--0 state titles
--3 state tournaments

Remember Williams? I don’t. They made their mark on the state tournament scene with three consecutive appearances from 1949-51, finishing runner-up twice. They also made the Region 8 semifinals in five straight years in the early 50’s. By the late 60’s, their program was gone. (note: I have no record of this team after the 1965-66 season but it's possible they played on for a few seasons)
You would not believe how small the town of Williams is. Absolutely amazing to finish runner-up twice.
Did that town used to be bigger or what? It shows a current population of 210. Total area of 1.0 sq mi.?? Makes Roseau look huge by comparison. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

east hockey wrote:
Red Ice wrote:
east hockey wrote:#61: Williams

25.70 pts
--0 state titles
--3 state tournaments

Remember Williams? I don’t. They made their mark on the state tournament scene with three consecutive appearances from 1949-51, finishing runner-up twice. They also made the Region 8 semifinals in five straight years in the early 50’s. By the late 60’s, their program was gone. (note: I have no record of this team after the 1965-66 season but it's possible they played on for a few seasons)
You would not believe how small the town of Williams is. Absolutely amazing to finish runner-up twice.
Did that town used to be bigger or what? It shows a current population of 210. Total area of 1.0 sq mi.?? Makes Roseau look huge by comparison. :)

Lee
Need someone a lot older than me for details but 1956 US Olympian Dan McKinnon was from Williams. That might have something to do with such a small towns success.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Was small, is small....
consoliddated schools into LOW or Warroad????
....a long time ago.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#60: Rochester Lourdes

26.08 pts
--0 state titles
--7 state tournaments (Class A)

Lourdes joined the MSHSL scene along with many other privates in 1974, but did nothing of significance until the two-class system began. They made their first Class A state tournament in 2000 and followed this with six more appearances in the past decade. Their best finish was in 2001 when they lost in the title game to Benilde-St. Margaret’s. They are one of four Rochester teams in the Top 75.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#59: Rochester Century

26.09 pts
--0 state titles
--3 state tournaments

Century began play in the 1998-99 season; it took them three years to advance to their section finals, and another four to make the state Class AA tournament. Their finest moment came in the 2007 state tournament when they captured the third place hardware after a huge upset of Hill-Murray in the quarterfinals. From a “points” standpoint, they’ve had the most success of any Rochester school since 2000.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#58: Duluth Marshall

26.21 pts
--0 state titles
--5 state tournaments (Class A)

After a long down period, Duluth Marshall started turning things around when they made the section 7A finals in 2000. They made the Class A state tournament the following year but the best was yet to come, getting to the Class A championship game three consecutive years (2006-08 ). They came up short each year, but are always a threat in their section (currently 7A).
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#57: Eagan

26.36 pts
--0 state titles
--2 state tournaments

Eagan is fresh off the best finish in their school’s history, getting third place in the 2011 Class AA state tournament. They’ve had peaks and valleys in their history, with a 21-3 record in 1998-99 followed by a 1-23-2 record just two seasons later! Since that season, however, they’ve advanced at least to their section semifinal in eight of the past ten years. The future looks bright for the Wildcats.
Egomaniac since 2006
Red Ice

Post by Red Ice »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
east hockey wrote:
Red Ice wrote: You would not believe how small the town of Williams is. Absolutely amazing to finish runner-up twice.

Lee
Need someone a lot older than me for details but 1956 US Olympian Dan McKinnon was from Williams. That might have something to do with such a small towns success.
Maybe had 15-20 players max on the team. No JV and probably a few kids under 10th grade. Would be cool if an old roster could be found to see the make-up of that team.
wolfpack33

Post by wolfpack33 »

Red Ice wrote:
east hockey wrote: Did that town used to be bigger or what? It shows a current population of 210. Total area of 1.0 sq mi.?? Makes Roseau look huge by comparison. :)

Lee
Maybe had 15-20 players max on the team. No JV and probably a few kids under 10th grade. Would be cool if an old roster could be found to see the make-up of that team.
my guess is there were more than a few kids under 10th grade. i would even go so far as to say there were probably 7th graders on the team. seems to be how it was in such small towns back in the day.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#56: St. Paul Washington

27.40pts
--0 state titles
--3 state tournaments

Washington was one of the “Original Eight” teams which were in the inaugural state tournament in 1945, finishing third. They advanced to two more tournaments after that, culminating in a runner-up in 1960, losing to Duluth East in the championship game. My records of Washington end in 1979, and don’t know what happened to that program or that school.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#55: Minneapolis South

27.60 pts
--0 state titles
--4 state tournaments

South had a strong program in the early days, making it to State four times between 1950-57, with their best season being in 1956-57 when they finished 17-3 on their way to a third place finish in the state tourney. They dropped down to Class A in 1993 before being moved back up in 1997. After the 2005-06 season, they merged with the other Minneapolis schools into two teams (East and West) before all the Minneapolis schools eventually merged into one team in 2010.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#54: East Grand Forks

28.31 pts
--0 state titles
--3 state tournaments (Class AA); 4 state tournaments (Class A)

East Grand Forks is the third of ten teams which have made both the Class AA and Class A tournaments. They made the single-class tournament three times between 1971-82, losing both games each time. They have enjoyed more success in the Class A tournament, not winning a state tournament but making it to the championship game in 1999 as well as garnering three consolation championships. The Green Wave have gone without a winning season since 2004-05.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#53: White Bear Mariner

29.50 pts
--0 state titles
--1 state tournament

Mariner had a short history, but it was a good one, topping out in 1982 when they were state tournament runners-up to Edina. They made their section finals five times in an eight-year period.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#52: Mounds View

29.50 pts
--0 state titles
--5 state tournaments

Mounds View dominated Section 2 in the late 70’s, going to the state tournament in three consecutive years, topped by a fourth place finish in 1978. Their best team, however, was probably in 1975-76 when, led by Rob McClanahan, they were undefeated heading into the state tournament after beating Duluth East 3-1 in the section final. They have failed to make it to their section finals since the 1978 state appearance.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#51: Red Wing

34.73 pts
--1 state title (Class A)
--6 state tournaments (Class A)

One of the more successful teams in Class A, the Wingers went to state five straight times from 1995-99, winning it all in 1997. They also had a runner-up and third place finish during that run. Following another Class A runner-up in 2002, they have made it to their section finals five times but haven’t returned to state.
Egomaniac since 2006
stpaul

Washington

Post by stpaul »

east hockey wrote:#56: St. Paul Washington

27.40pts
--0 state titles
--3 state tournaments

Washington was one of the “Original Eight” teams which were in the inaugural state tournament in 1945, finishing third. They advanced to two more tournaments after that, culminating in a runner-up in 1960, losing to Duluth East in the championship game. My records of Washington end in 1979, and don’t know what happened to that program or that school.
Washington and Murray closed at the same time in 1979. Como Park Jr. High became a Sr. High and took most of the students from both schools. Wash is still on Rice Street and has been a Jr. High for the 30 years since. This year it moved into the Arlington HS building a mile to the north on Rice St.

The Washington Presidents, always called the Prexies, were part of a very competitive SP City Conference for decades. Johnson or Harding usually finished first, but league games were well attended and real battles. They won or shared 8 City conference titles from 1939 - 1961.
Last edited by stpaul on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
karl(east)

Re: Washington

Post by karl(east) »

stpaul wrote:The Washington Presidents, always called the Prexies, were part of a very competitive SP City Conference for decades. Johnson or Harding usually finished first, but league games were well attended and real battles. They won or shared 8 City conference titles from 1939 - 1961.
So Prexies=Presidents; now that makes sense. They have a bunch of old newspapers from past state tournaments put up around the X during the tourney, and one of them was the story of Duluth East's title over Washington in 1960. I read the article and was wondering what on earth a "Prexie" was.

I noticed Red Wing is our first state titlist in either class to make the list; did all teams who have ever won State make it? (I assume so...)
defense

Post by defense »

Actually Totino-Grace is down at #63....remember that retchet team in 2002?
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

east hockey wrote:
Red Ice wrote: You would not believe how small the town of Williams is. Absolutely amazing to finish runner-up twice.

Lee
My Uncle played for Williams in this time period. He always said that hockey season started June 1st, got over on May 30th, we took a day off and started up again June 1st. Didn't leave much room for other sports but to that he always said "what other sports?"
defense

Post by defense »

While I was in my early hs years, I worked with my dad in Wisconsin putting in marina systems. While in Wisconsin in a bar of course, I think over breakfast we talked to another guy on the job we were working, only he would be doing land based worked ie: picnic areas etc...
Anyway, HE played hockey for Williams. Evidently he played at the University of Minnesota. I do not recall his name, as at the time this type of thing didn't matter to me so much........but.... it seemed as if playing hard nose, tough, never quit hockey was the way in Williams MN.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

whos_it wrote:He always said that hockey season started June 1st, got over on May 30th, we took a day off and started up again June 1st. Didn't leave much room for other sports but to that he always said "what other sports?"
I like the way your Uncle thinks. :wink:

8)
The Puck
LGW
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#50: Minneapolis Patrick Henry

36.45 pts
--0 state titles
--3 state tournaments

Patrick Henry made three appearances at State from 1959-64, capturing third-place hardware twice during that span. 1971 marked their final trip to the section finals.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#49: St. Paul Murray

37.97 pts
--0 state titles
--6 state tournaments

Murray was at the Show six times between 1949-63, their highest finish being fourth place in 1949 and 1963. They fell on tough times following the 1963-64 season, failing to get to their section final until their program disbanded after the 1978-79 season.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#48: St. Cloud Tech

39.27 pts
--0 state titles
--7 state tournaments

Tech made it to the state tournament in seven of the tournament’s first eight years, finishing as high as third place (1948). They have made a few section finals and many section semifinals since then but haven’t returned to the state tournament since then.
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

#47: Minneapolis Roosevelt

39.64 pts
--0 state titles
--8 state tournaments

Eight appearances, no championships. Just four teams have been to more tournaments without bringing home the title, but give Roosevelt credit. They’ve been there eight times, more than most schools. Their best decade was the 60’s, when they went to State four times. Seven additional times they reached their section finals. Roosevelt dropped down to Class A in 1993 where they played in their final four seasons.
Egomaniac since 2006