STA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should there be a seperate class for private schools

Poll ended at Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 69

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

ALSECORD wrote:Nobody on here is jealous?... Yea ok :oops: Sorry.. So it sounds to me like your ok with STA recruiting as long as they opt up to AA and do it there just like Hill and Benilde do? Are we really suppose to buy that? Is that really your argument? I'd be willing to bet your probably jealous because they have a great school and the Vannelli's have built a winning tradition and your just one of those people that don't like a winner.
STA proves year in and year out they can play with the big boys as evividenced by schedule they play. As i said earlier they are right where they belong..
I'm not jealous of STA because...what's there to be jealous of? A school with academics not even as good as the public I will send my kids to? A school with phony military requirements that make them look like posers in the public eye? A school that won't play in the big tournament with the big boys? The school I went to and the district my kids are in just won two out of the last three big boy state tournaments. The Bantam A team is ranked tops in the state. Notice that there is no nine page thread tearing apart EP after they won. Wake up buddy, STA looks like crap playing in the A tournament when they play a AA schedule all year.
EP two out of three.
stpaul

STA

Post by stpaul »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Regardless of the reason (whether it be athletics, religion, or many different aspects of education), why do we never blame the "community" they left for them leaving? Obviously by them leaving, it is not the community you talk about.

I can honestly say that if one of my children grows up to play with the same group of kids 10 ten years, it would be difficult to ask them to leave even to go to school with my alma mater. For that happen, especially in a sport like hockey, there must be very good reasons. Instead of asking the community they left to fix the reasons they left, we blame the "better alternative."
HSHW, outstanding post.
stpaul

STA

Post by stpaul »

HockeyMN1 wrote:Notice that there is no nine page thread tearing apart EP after they won.
There is also no 9 pages of posts ripping Totino-Grace for not playing AA hockey. The only difference is that STA wins too much.
HockeyMN1

Re: STA

Post by HockeyMN1 »

stpaul wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:Notice that there is no nine page thread tearing apart EP after they won.
There is also no 9 pages of posts ripping Totino-Grace for not playing AA hockey. The only difference is that STA wins too much.
There are plently of posts around this site that complain that STA, Breck, Blake, Totino, Marshall, Lourdes, and every other major private school doesn't opt up. Obviously STA is the poster child for this because they play a AA schedule. If a team plays that regular season schedule but stays down come tournament time, the only reasonable conclusion is that they are scared to play in the AA tournament and they are trophy chasers, even if those trophies don't mean much.
EP two out of three.
stpaul

EP

Post by stpaul »

HockeyMN1 wrote:The school I went to and the district my kids are in just won two out of the last three big boy state tournaments.
Come on man, EP has 3000 students. It's bigger than most of the Counties in Minnesota. EP should man up and split into 2 schools. How many hundreds of kids would love to play varsity sports but have no chance. But we don't certainly don't want to dilute Coach Grant's dynasty. He 's got 70 kids sitting on the bench. Who's getting sacrificed for trophies at EP?
HockeyMN1

Re: EP

Post by HockeyMN1 »

stpaul wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:The school I went to and the district my kids are in just won two out of the last three big boy state tournaments.
Come on man, EP has 3000 students. It's bigger than most of the Counties in Minnesota. EP should man up and split into 2 schools. How many hundreds of kids would love to play varsity sports but have no chance. But we don't certainly don't want to dilute Coach Grant's dynasty. He 's got 70 kids sitting on the bench. Who's getting sacrificed for trophies?
EP staying as one school has so much more to do with the quality of the school and the environment it creates than athletic success. I've been involved with EP schools and I can tell you the plan all along was to stay as one school. This graduating class is the biggest they will have in at least 12 years, the current freshmen are about 100 smaller. The fact that you think the EP school district chooses to stay as one big school because of sports is simply embarrassing. Not to mention that Wayzata has now passed EP in students.

And just in case you were actually serious about that first sentence, the smallest county in MN is Traverse county with 3799 people. So every single county is bigger than Eden Prairie High School.
EP two out of three.
stpaul

STA

Post by stpaul »

Type "ideal high school size" into google and tell me how many dozen articles and studies that show the ideal size to be 600-900. What BS is your school board selling that says 3000 in a good thing for quality and environment. There has to be several hundred students every year who don't do sports or any activities because they have no hope to play or participate. How can that be a good thing for a teenager. The South Washington County District just spent $80 million to open a 3rd school because Park & Woodbury were at 2300 each. Heck they were still each 700 away from having EP's quality and environment.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

stpaul wrote:Type "ideal high school size" into google and tell me how many dozen articles and studies that show the ideal size to be 600-900. What BS is your school board selling that says 3000 in a good thing for quality and environment. There has to be several hundred students every year who don't do sports or any activities because they have no hope to play or participate. How can that be a good thing for a teenager. The South Washington County District just spent $80 million to open a 3rd school because Park & Woodbury were at 2300 each. Heck they were still each 700 away from having EP's quality and environment.
Okay buddy I'm not gonna sit here and argue with an internet einstein but from someone who has attended the school, has kids that will attend the school, and knows students at the school, I can tell you that it works. There are great teachers at EP and great opportunities provided to kids that you can't get at smaller schools. Yes, some kids don't make a varsity squad, but if that is really the most important thing to you than go somewhere else. Minnesota has open enrollment and there are smaller schools all over the place. I don't need to hear from some jealous idiot from St. Paul that the most successful school in the state in sports and academics isn't a good place, because it is.
I would argue that Washington County just wasted a ton of money that could have been better spent improving the environment at the two existing schools. You are someone with no firsthand experience in Eden Prairie schools and are pretty much throwing around a bunch of BS.
EP two out of three.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

HockeyMN1 wrote:
ALSECORD wrote:Nobody on here is jealous?... Yea ok :oops: Sorry.. So it sounds to me like your ok with STA recruiting as long as they opt up to AA and do it there just like Hill and Benilde do? Are we really suppose to buy that? Is that really your argument? I'd be willing to bet your probably jealous because they have a great school and the Vannelli's have built a winning tradition and your just one of those people that don't like a winner.
STA proves year in and year out they can play with the big boys as evividenced by schedule they play. As i said earlier they are right where they belong..
I'm not jealous of STA because...what's there to be jealous of? A school with academics not even as good as the public I will send my kids to? A school with phony military requirements that make them look like posers in the public eye? A school that won't play in the big tournament with the big boys? The school I went to and the district my kids are in just won two out of the last three big boy state tournaments. The Bantam A team is ranked tops in the state. Notice that there is no nine page thread tearing apart EP after they won. Wake up buddy, STA looks like crap playing in the A tournament when they play a AA schedule all year.
You mention one thing that isn't true and another that isn't not of huge importance, overall, to those associated with the school. EP has great academics, no one will debate that.
HockeyMN1 wrote:
stpaul wrote:
Come on man, EP has 3000 students. It's bigger than most of the Counties in Minnesota. EP should man up and split into 2 schools. How many hundreds of kids would love to play varsity sports but have no chance. But we don't certainly don't want to dilute Coach Grant's dynasty. He 's got 70 kids sitting on the bench. Who's getting sacrificed for trophies?
EP staying as one school has so much more to do with the quality of the school and the environment it creates than athletic success. I've been involved with EP schools and I can tell you the plan all along was to stay as one school. This graduating class is the biggest they will have in at least 12 years, the current freshmen are about 100 smaller. The fact that you think the EP school district chooses to stay as one big school because of sports is simply embarrassing. Not to mention that Wayzata has now passed EP in students.
I cannot disagree with much of what has been said. Similar to how LV was before the split, they are very dominant in sports, have an amazing HS, a very large HS, and in a very affluent area . Why it is still only one is anyone's guess.
HockeyMN1 wrote:
stpaul wrote:Type "ideal high school size" into google and tell me how many dozen articles and studies that show the ideal size to be 600-900. What BS is your school board selling that says 3000 in a good thing for quality and environment. There has to be several hundred students every year who don't do sports or any activities because they have no hope to play or participate. How can that be a good thing for a teenager. The South Washington County District just spent $80 million to open a 3rd school because Park & Woodbury were at 2300 each. Heck they were still each 700 away from having EP's quality and environment.
Okay buddy I'm not gonna sit here and argue with an internet einstein but from someone who has attended the school, has kids that will attend the school, and knows students at the school, I can tell you that it works. There are great teachers at EP and great opportunities provided to kids that you can't get at smaller schools. Yes, some kids don't make a varsity squad, but if that is really the most important thing to you than go somewhere else. Minnesota has open enrollment and there are smaller schools all over the place. I don't need to hear from some jealous idiot from St. Paul that the most successful school in the state in sports and academics isn't a good place, because it is.
I would argue that Washington County just wasted a ton of money that could have been better spent improving the environment at the two existing schools. You are someone with no firsthand experience in Eden Prairie schools and are pretty much throwing around a bunch of BS.
If you wonder why, refer to the last of 4 points. No disrespect. A great place, met students, walked the halls, great place. I, for one, have no issue, with anything apart from all the slander and ignorance of my alma mater. You graduated from a great school and many will after you.

You, and all out there, are okay with schools where it is okay to attend if your parents lived elsewhere and moved so they could send you there, but you are not okay if parents live where they want and send their kids where they want? Seems like a huge burden you, and the high school league, place on parents.

No one has lifted a finger toward New Ulm Cathedral who is allowed to do everything St Thomas Academy has done but has failed to do. The general public is only upset with private schools if they are successful. If they are not good, you all hate them. It should be the same year in and year out. St Thomas didn't become a school that needed to recruit to keep their doors open in the last 10 years, that has been forever. But the hate has only been recently.

I have hated the Yankees always. They do things no other team does or will do. I hated them last year, as well as they years they've won. Why? Because of what they represent. It doesn't matter how they do, it is how they do it.
The difference with the private school hate is that it only comes out only when they do well. The Yankees give us all a reason to hate them all the time, and they probably always will. They have many trophies. In history, the private schools to not, for either. Period.

If my kids access at hockey, the class sizes drop, the school violence decreases, and the graduation rates increase in Minneapolis public schools increase, I will gladly send my kids there, otherwise I will, more likely than not, not send them there. Similar to how our country's President is not enrolling his children in the public school system in which he lives.

In my opinion, it is the burden of the local public school system to use local tax dollars wisely and improve incentive to keep locals local. The common opinion is that it is the responsibility of private schools who rely on numbers to make their product less attractive. I continue to wonder why I am wrong...and why St Thomas won't be in 2A next year.
deacon

Post by deacon »

HockeyMN1 wrote:
I'm going to link a couple things that you can mull over.

First, in the 6th paragraph it states the average SAT and ACT scores for Eden Prairie. I'll summarize:
98% graduate from high school
94% attend college
ACT average for seniors: 23.8
SAT verbal: 595/635 (depending on website)
SAT math: 612/610 (depending on website)
http://realestatetwincities.net/eden-pr ... s-isd-272/

Here is St. Thomas Academy's for the year 2010:
100% graduate
98% attend college (2 are playing junior hockey)
ACT average for seniors: 28.4
SAT Critical Reading: 646
Math: 655
Writing: 640

Flemming, Reid, and Schroeder made the honor roll (3.33-3.66).

http://www.cadets.com/page/331

http://www.cadets.com/files/pg331/HRoll_Sem1_201011.pdf

http://www.mnschools.com/SchoolFinder/D ... s/f272.htm

I'm not sure if you are aware, but most colleges look at these standardized test scores as a metric to use for college admittance.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

HockeyMN1 wrote:You are someone with no firsthand experience in Eden Prairie schools and are pretty much throwing around a bunch of BS.
That didn't stop you from writing volumes of BS about St. Thomas Academy. You apparently have no first hand experience with STA nor any interest in facts.

I would also like to see a comparison of the percentage of students who participate in extracurricular activities.

PS: nice post there, Mr. ih8privates. It added so much to the discussion. Wow, anonymous use of swear words and slurs. Was that hard to do?
Last edited by stpaul on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
deacon

Post by deacon »

Ih8privates wrote:Hey deacon nobody gives a f.uck about ur stupid f.ucking statistics so get ur private school h.omo looking ass the f.uck out of here F.UCK YOU!!!
Yeah, let's ignore the facts.

In before lock.
deacon

Post by deacon »

stpaul wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:You are someone with no firsthand experience in Eden Prairie schools and are pretty much throwing around a bunch of BS.
That didn't stop you from writing volumes of BS about St. Thomas Academy. You apparently have no first hand experience with STA nor any interest in facts.

I would also like to see a comparison of the percentage of students who participate in extracurricular activities.
http://www.cadets.com/cocurricular

edit to add that 80% of STA faculty hold a Master's or PHD. EP has 70% Master's and 1% PHD.
Last edited by deacon on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNpuck14

Post by MNpuck14 »

deacon can you show me some stats on the homosexual rate at st. thomas as well? :wink: :lol: \:D/ =D>

haha I know it's wrong, but someone had to say it. :D
Dangle Snipe n Celly
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

whats the poll on the age of ih8privates?

12? 13? maybe 9?

Its so cute when the little guy first learns new swear words and has to use them. And the only gays go to St. Thomas. Ohhhhhhh he's found a new joke.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
MNmade

Post by MNmade »

I quickly glanced over STA's "AA" schedule people keep addressing when suggesting that it is embarrassing that they play a "AA" schedule and then cake walk and trophy grab their way through sections and state.

Of the team's 25 games, only 2 seemed to be "out of the ordinary" from several, even many past seasons (predating the team's recent success). The games against the Delbarton and Shattuck prove the team and program might be trying to show the school's decision makers that STA is worthy of higher caliber competition. The rest of the schedule, with the exception of the Schwan's Cup tourney where they were invited to play, seemed like an average season for the Cadets. The team is in a conference with AA teams, many of which have not been of terrific quality lately. So for those of you who jump at the sight of a schedule with AA names on it, remember that those are the same AA names that used to kick STA around like a tin can in the W. St. Paul arena where the team paid for ice.

I commend the comment made earlier about questioning the big, community/public high school program that maybe turned off a talented player, causing him to choose a private like STA. It made me think of all the things players at STA give up by "being recruited/plucked" out of the community program.
-Some would joke about how STA hockey (pre-state wins) was forever doomed because student-athletes were not permitted to grow out "magical, talent-giving, myth-like powerful" hockey hair. Great "flow" as we love to see in the state intros, is something that arguably defines and is most pertinent to hockey players. These kids give that up.
-By enrolling at STA in middle school or freshman year, some kids jeopardize their spot at a coveted Bantam A position. It is not unheard of for youth coaches to pick the public school kids (and maybe rightly so) over more talented private school kids. Not to mention the possibility of being branded a "traitor" by your best buddies since Squirt B's.
-The school's strict uniform policy does not permit the "hockey-casual" outfit public school-ers enjoy: jeans, team t-shirts, timberland boots, and backwards hats. (this can be a big difference for a player use to this comfort and casualness)
-A current tuition price tag of $17,000!? There is financial aid available, but this is a steep price for any family to pay. $17k would put a nice jeep SUV at the end of any driveway for a hockey stud to throw his equipment into and roll with his teammates over to practice at say, Bloomington Ice Gardens.
-Fan base, most specifically girls. Being a household name throughout a community and the respect a player earns from the observant eyes of the mite teams who faithfully drag their parents to every home game more than vanishes when moving to a private. And for a sport that garners the attention of the prettiest girls in the high school, the girls who say "hey, nice game on Saturday" in the first class period on Monday goes away. That can be a huge detriment to any young, talented, and ego-wielding 17 year old boy.

My posts have been long, but I'm trying to lay some framework for those who bash STA's success. Let us all remember how much hockey success, for any high school, can come and go. Many programs have gone from years of state trips and some championships to section semifinal defeats for years on end. As an STA grad I truly enjoy the success the team has had recently. But, what happens in a few years when, for example, the Lakeville schools don't divide, causing uncertain success in the city's hockey program and the subsequent exodus to play private school hockey? As much as I hope for other programs to enjoy the success STA has recently come by, I would hate to watch it disappear for my school.

Food for thought.
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

sachishi4 wrote:whats the poll on the age of ih8privates?

12? 13? maybe 9?

Its so cute when the little guy first learns new swear words and has to use them. And the only gays go to St. Thomas. Ohhhhhhh he's found a new joke.

:D :D :D maybe even 7??
2012 pond hockey All Star
MNpuck14

Post by MNpuck14 »

wblhcky24 wrote:

12? 13? maybe 9?

:D :D :D maybe even 7??
6? :o
Dangle Snipe n Celly
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

What everyone defending STA here seems to miss is the fact that if there was still a one class system, they would still be getting kicked around like a tin can (as MNmade put it) because the allure of the easier class A state tournament birth would not exist and most of these players would not have chosen to go there.

The class split was not implemented for the private schools to take over. It was done so small communities like Silver Bay, Red Wing, and the like would have as good of a shot to see St. Paul as Eden Prairie or Duluth East.

This actually worked for the first few years, but since then the private schools have taken over. Its not a coincidence that even though there have only been 10-12 private schools in class A that 3 or 4 of them are in the state tournament every year as opposed only 4 or 5 of the 75 public schools.

These teams all belong in AA. Period.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

deacon wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
I'm going to link a couple things that you can mull over.

First, in the 6th paragraph it states the average SAT and ACT scores for Eden Prairie. I'll summarize:
98% graduate from high school
94% attend college
ACT average for seniors: 23.8
SAT verbal: 595/635 (depending on website)
SAT math: 612/610 (depending on website)
http://realestatetwincities.net/eden-pr ... s-isd-272/

Here is St. Thomas Academy's for the year 2010:
100% graduate
98% attend college (2 are playing junior hockey)
ACT average for seniors: 28.4
SAT Critical Reading: 646
Math: 655
Writing: 640

Flemming, Reid, and Schroeder made the honor roll (3.33-3.66).

http://www.cadets.com/page/331

http://www.cadets.com/files/pg331/HRoll_Sem1_201011.pdf

http://www.mnschools.com/SchoolFinder/D ... s/f272.htm

I'm not sure if you are aware, but most colleges look at these standardized test scores as a metric to use for college admittance.
These stats are great, but skewed. The STA kids all come from the same mold.
The Eden Prarie numbers are way more impressive considering they take ALL types.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

12? 13? maybe 9?

It's a STA guy trying to shut it down.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
You mention one thing that isn't true and another that isn't not of huge importance, overall, to those associated with the school. EP has great academics, no one will debate that.
HockeyMN1 wrote:
stpaul wrote: Come on man, EP has 3000 students. It's bigger than most of the Counties in Minnesota. EP should man up and split into 2 schools. How many hundreds of kids would love to play varsity sports but have no chance. But we don't certainly don't want to dilute Coach Grant's dynasty. He 's got 70 kids sitting on the bench. Who's getting sacrificed for trophies?
I cannot disagree with much of what has been said. Similar to how LV was before the split, they are very dominant in sports, have an amazing HS, a very large HS, and in a very affluent area . Why it is still only one is anyone's guess.
HockeyMN1 wrote:
If you wonder why, refer to the last of 4 points. No disrespect. A great place, met students, walked the halls, great place. I, for one, have no issue, with anything apart from all the slander and ignorance of my alma mater. You graduated from a great school and many will after you.

You, and all out there, are okay with schools where it is okay to attend if your parents lived elsewhere and moved so they could send you there, but you are not okay if parents live where they want and send their kids where they want? Seems like a huge burden you, and the high school league, place on parents.

No one has lifted a finger toward New Ulm Cathedral who is allowed to do everything St Thomas Academy has done but has failed to do. The general public is only upset with private schools if they are successful. If they are not good, you all hate them. It should be the same year in and year out. St Thomas didn't become a school that needed to recruit to keep their doors open in the last 10 years, that has been forever. But the hate has only been recently.

I have hated the Yankees always. They do things no other team does or will do. I hated them last year, as well as they years they've won. Why? Because of what they represent. It doesn't matter how they do, it is how they do it.
The difference with the private school hate is that it only comes out only when they do well. The Yankees give us all a reason to hate them all the time, and they probably always will. They have many trophies. In history, the private schools to not, for either. Period.

If my kids access at hockey, the class sizes drop, the school violence decreases, and the graduation rates increase in Minneapolis public schools increase, I will gladly send my kids there, otherwise I will, more likely than not, not send them there. Similar to how our country's President is not enrolling his children in the public school system in which he lives.

In my opinion, it is the burden of the local public school system to use local tax dollars wisely and improve incentive to keep locals local. The common opinion is that it is the responsibility of private schools who rely on numbers to make their product less attractive. I continue to wonder why I am wrong...and why St Thomas won't be in 2A next year.
The Yankees are a perfect example. Now make it even more drastic and put them in the minors.......... There you have your STA :idea:
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

MrBoDangles wrote:The Eden Prarie numbers are way more impressive considering they take ALL types.
What do you mean "ALL types?" :wink: :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

Mr Bo, three posts about STA today before 7:45, you must be really bored
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

MNmade wrote:Of the team's 25 games, only 2 seemed to be "out of the ordinary" from several, even many past seasons (predating the team's recent success).

-Fan base, most specifically girls. Being a household name throughout a community and the respect a player earns from the observant eyes of the mite teams who faithfully drag their parents to every home game more than vanishes when moving to a private. And for a sport that garners the attention of the prettiest girls in the high school, the girls who say "hey, nice game on Saturday" in the first class period on Monday goes away. That can be a huge detriment to any young, talented, and ego-wielding 17 year old boy.
Hill Murray x2, Tartan x2, North St Paul x2, Henry Sibley x1, Cretin x1. Those 8 would happen regardless. Minnetonka x1 and Schwan's Cup x3. Hardly a AA schedule. The AA champs have all of one Class A game on their schedule, twice as many AA teams as St Thomas.

The girls comments are always funny. I remember a game when they were playing Red Wing in sections and the Red Wing boys started chanting "we have girls." The St Thomas crowd responded with "where are they?" There were few girls in the stands of Red Wing and about half in the St Thomas stands.
The connection between not having girls in class and not having the ability to know any is such an odd concept.
PuckRanger wrote:What everyone defending STA here seems to miss is the fact that if there was still a one class system, they would still be getting kicked around like a tin can (as MNmade put it) because the allure of the easier class A state tournament birth would not exist and most of these players would not have chosen to go there.

These teams all belong in AA. Period.
The common idea is that being a AA team would attract more players, not fewer. I would think that were there one class, the result would be the same and they would be able to attract more, better players for the purposes of hockey.