USHL "Futures" Camp?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Puck to the head

USHL "Futures" Camp?

Post by Puck to the head »

My son was invited to a USHL Futures camp put on by a USHL team, which was flattering. Then I saw the price they are charging for what amounts to a few hours of ice time, available on a "first come first serve" basis.

Are these camps generally legitimate try outs or simply a revenue generation device? Feels like revenue generation to me. Thoughts?
Puck Whisperer

Post by Puck Whisperer »

Sorry I can't answer your question, but what is the price of the camp?
Puck to the head

$270.
trev2k1

Post by trev2k1 »

it is about the revenue, but they also have some if not lots of interest in your son. and they would like to see him come try out and if it is not too far of a drive i recommend doing it. maybe i'm wrong. i've heard from a two others that got these but the timing doesn't work for the families busy summer
D3Dude

Post by D3Dude »

I think it's $269 for 13 hours - expensive - but there are plenty of Pavlovian parents who can't resist chasing exposure opportunities for their player. I saw it the first time around with my older (former) player but the loonies have multiplied tenfold in recent years - yikes. The levers will be pulled, camp filled and parents salivating (and what not) in the stands. That aside, I am sure the team will do a nice job with their camp.
Puck to the head

[quote="D3Dude"]I think it's $269 for 13 hours - expensive - but there are plenty of Pavlovian parents who can't resist chasing exposure opportunities for their player. I saw it the first time around with my older (former) player but the loonies have multiplied tenfold in recent years - yikes. The levers will be pulled, camp filled and parents salivating (and what not) in the stands. That aside, I am sure the team will do a nice job with their camp.[/quote]

Thanks D3Dude: In addition to good information you provided an enertaining answer, albeit with a slightly disturbing visual :) Although I tend to agree with you and have/am witnessing the same.
itsmorefun

Post by itsmorefun »

I always recommend people go if they can afford to go. Hockey is all about exposure. As soon as you get on "the list" things come easier. If you don't ever get on "the list", then it becomes harder and harder to break through the politics that follow as the years pass.

Go to the camp... besides it's pretty fun and you'll be able to see how your son stacks up against others.
GTrain

Thats Cheap exposure

Post by GTrain »

If you think its weird paying 269 for 13 hours your crazy, wait until a local company tries to sell you a "Scouting Service or Player Placement" for 750 when all the best players end up getting drafted or tendered with out their help since all of these teams have their own scouts and ideas on who they like. For 269, if my son was asked I would have him go, but he's not very good.
seek & destroy

Re: Thats Cheap exposure

Post by seek & destroy »

GTrain wrote:If you think its weird paying 269 for 13 hours your crazy, wait until a local company tries to sell you a "Scouting Service or Player Placement" for 750 when all the best players end up getting drafted or tendered with out their help since all of these teams have their own scouts and ideas on who they like. For 269, if my son was asked I would have him go, but he's not very good.
The cost of the camp is not that bad but it is a revenue raiser. As indicated above, there are places out there locally that will take your money, promise you everything and rarely deliver a thing for what you give them. At least here you are getting something for your money.

The important thing is to go into the camp with the right attitude. You aren't going to walk out of there with any promises to make the team, scholarships for college or NHL scouts raving about you. However, you will give your son a chance to get a feel about upper level tryouts, see what the future 'competition' looks like, learn a little about the USHL league and have a nice weekend together out of town.

It can be a fun time as long as you realize that it's all about the experience and enjoying going through it together.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Puck to the head wrote:$270.
Maybe I misunderstood but $270 for 13 hours.... sounds pretty cheap to me actually considering you have squirt camps that charge $350 for a meager 10 hours of ice everywhere. You have other camps that charge more than that. You have AAA teams, which I am guessing your son was a part of at some poitn in his life, that really offer less ice time per dollar than the aforementioned camp. Now factor in yoru son will be on the ice with top players in front of USHL personnel. Sounds like money well spent compared to most other..... eh hem..... "opportunities" out there, unless I misunderstood something?
darkhorse

Post by darkhorse »

JSR wrote: Maybe I misunderstood but $270 for 13 hours.... sounds pretty cheap to me actually considering you have squirt camps that charge $350 for a meager 10 hours of ice everywhere. You have other camps that charge more than that. You have AAA teams, which I am guessing your son was a part of at some poitn in his life, that really offer less ice time per dollar than the aforementioned camp. Now factor in yoru son will be on the ice with top players in front of USHL personnel. Sounds like money well spent compared to most other..... eh hem..... "opportunities" out there, unless I misunderstood something?
Exactly what I was thinking. ~$21/hr for ice in front of that crowd, seems well worth it even if it is a revenue generator for the USHL team. Depending on where it is the travel/hotel costs could increase the expenses pretty quick but still seems reasonable for the potential exposure.
observer

Post by observer »

Probably need a little better description. Maybe even a typo. I don't think anyone is skating for 13 hours. Maybe 3?
JSR

Post by JSR »

observer wrote:Probably need a little better description. Maybe even a typo. I don't think anyone is skating for 13 hours. Maybe 3?
If that is the case then $270 for 3 hours is expensive and I'd agree. However that isn't what D3Dude typed. If it is $270 for 13 hours, that's dirt cheap for that type of thing and I'd jump all over that deal. That's just me though :?
puckforlife

This seems pretty good for 270.00

Post by puckforlife »

The United States Hockey League will hold the second annual USHL Combines this spring at the Arctic Ice Arena in Orland Park, Illinois.
Players who are invited to participate in the Combines will have been pre-screened and scouted by USHL Player Development staff. Participating players will have the opportunity to showcase their skills while playing in a minimum of four (4) games in front of USHL coaches and scouts, as well as NCAA coaches. Invitees will also be subjected to off-ice physical and cognitive testing. There will also be classroom presentations to help players better understand what it takes to play in the USHL. Kevin Ziegler, Director of Strength and Conditioning for the Sioux Falls Stampede, will be one of the speakers on what it takes to play in the USHL. He has worked with athletes at all levels of hockey, including the NHL, for over 20 years.
Scout716

Post by Scout716 »

Yes these Future camps are money makers for the organization, however, they are very educational for the players as well as the parents. There ussually are players from all over the US in attendance and can be an eye opener for the young players. So attend with the idea that its a Camp and an educational experience (don't look any deeper then that) and you'll be fine, and fun will be had by all.
Puck to the head

Thanks all for the replies. Off line I have had about 50% recommend strongly to do it and 50% say don't worry about it. Or put another way, its not worth cancelling a family vaction. At this point the decision is if we can fit it in around a planned family fishing trip, we will likely do the camp.

Thanks again all for the input.