Yuro?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

forreal

Re: Yuro?

Post by forreal »

ENJOYTHEGAME wrote:Can Yuro be too intense? For some. His drills can be complex but they are fantastic for development, therefore they require the attention and effort of all players on the ice. If you're looking for a coach who doesn't care if your kid improves or just wants to collect your cash and not care if your kid does the drills properly but gives your kids hugs and lollipops go somewhere else.

Yuro loves the kids, and the kids who are there to improve love and respect him.

He is the best skill development trainer around, want proof???

Shattuck's Tier 1 Bantams have only 4 players who played PeeWee hockey last year, three of those kids were trained by Yuro, it takes great training and ability to make that jump. (all three are minnesota kids, two were on the 96 Reebok Nationals).

Hall of Famer and St. Louis Blues Executive Al MacInnis unconditionally recommends Yuro to those seeking advanced training.

Yuro is the lead instructor for the St. Loius Blues rookies and skill development camps and heads the development camps for the Sioux City Muskateers.

Yuro, not for everyone just those who seek to be their best and desire to learn what it takes to play beyond association and High School.

Want other great trainers see Joe Dzeidzic skills, Lance Pitlick (stickhandling) and Scott Bjugstad (for shooting).
Best around? That seems a bit more than aggressive. Even if he is very good when you say best skill guy around you lose a little believability.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

old goalie85 wrote: Have never been grabbed, made cry, swore @, punched, kicked, or emotionally abused.
No pain.
No gain.
Be kind. Rewind.
ENJOYTHEGAME

Yuro?

Post by ENJOYTHEGAME »

Some of you guys act like he abused the kid, never, even the guy who's kid it was said that wasn't the case. Yuro was probably trying to look the kid in the eye to gauge comprehension and how the kid was reacting, i have seen him bend down to look smaller players in the eye before, grabbing the facemask was I'm sure done to direct the child's attention and eyes to him in a gentle manner, nobody said he grabbed and violently shook the kid. The kid was probably frustrated and a bit intimidated (I'm sure you guys have never seen a six year old in that state), by all accounts once Yuro saw that he backed off and the rest of the week went well. I feel bad for the kid, but again he's a six year old kid, and if we all are honest with ourselves we know it doesn't take a lot to make a six year old cry. Knowing Yuro I certain he felt bad when he saw the kid crying, the guy has a great heart, again loves the kids and the game, but has intensity. You need to know your kid and if they need lollipops and hugs go to MN_Hcky_Coach, he obviously has never upset a kid and being THEE Minnesota Hockey Coach I'm sure he has all the answers and is the go to guy for many Pro and Juniors teams.

The guy who's kid got his facemask grabbed has a great perspective and understands what happened, too bad so many others want condemn Yuro for what was much to do about nothing.

As far as being the best around I'll back down to one of the best, but given the other people who know more than enough about skill development that back him I think the credibility stands.
MrBoDangles

Re: Yuro?

Post by MrBoDangles »

ENJOYTHEGAME wrote:Some of you guys act like he abused the kid, never, even the guy who's kid it was said that wasn't the case. Yuro was probably trying to look the kid in the eye to gauge comprehension and how the kid was reacting, i have seen him bend down to look smaller players in the eye before, grabbing the facemask was I'm sure done to direct the child's attention and eyes to him in a gentle manner, nobody said he grabbed and violently shook the kid. The kid was probably frustrated and a bit intimidated (I'm sure you guys have never seen a six year old in that state), by all accounts once Yuro saw that he backed off and the rest of the week went well. I feel bad for the kid, but again he's a six year old kid, and if we all are honest with ourselves we know it doesn't take a lot to make a six year old cry. Knowing Yuro I certain he felt bad when he saw the kid crying, the guy has a great heart, again loves the kids and the game, but has intensity. You need to know your kid and if they need lollipops and hugs go to MN_Hcky_Coach, he obviously has never upset a kid and being THEE Minnesota Hockey Coach I'm sure he has all the answers and is the go to guy for many Pro and Juniors teams.

The guy who's kid got his facemask grabbed has a great perspective and understands what happened, too bad so many others want condemn Yuro for what was much to do about nothing.

As far as being the best around I'll back down to one of the best, but given the other people who know more than enough about skill development that back him I think the credibility stands.
Poor little kid messes up the drill and gets barked at....... Next thing he knows he has a big stranger grab his facemask to sternly bark at him some more. Are you able to imagine the fear going through this six year old head?

"it doesn't take a lot to make a six year old cry" "lolipops" "hugs" What kind of a puke are you? You should apologize to this parent! He said he had to really try to avoid confrontation.... Does this at all give you a sign of how bad it was?

I was going to keep quiet on this subject..... but this is pure stupidity! If the coach felt so bad he wouldn't of yelled at him again after all this happened.
ENJOYTHEGAME

Yuro?

Post by ENJOYTHEGAME »

Dangles, not going to get personal with you but read rsmntmoose's postings again, he didn't ever say he yelled at the kid, and after he spoke to Yuro all went well, in fact he complimented Yuro. He never yelled at the kid "again." You may want to review that before getting too upset, your condeming a very quality individual here, without having been there or having all the facts straight, a bold move for someone who was going to "keep quiet"

Again Moose seems to have come to grips with what happened, why can't other people?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

RsmtMoose wrote:This was my experience with Yuro. He is a great skater and loud talker and very intense. He runs complex drills, but he can seem demeaning to a player if they mess up or the players don’t do the drill the way he wants. Now if you have a Mite aged boy, you may think twice about skating in a clinic with him. You might hear a lot of “you are doing it wrong!” Over and over again. If you’re lucky as I was, he will grab your 6 yrs olds facemask and make him cry and you will see your son skate off the ice. After 10 minutes of getting my son to compose himself in the locker room, I was able to get him to finish the first day of the clinic in which coach Yuro messed up and yelled at my son again. I had to explain to my son even coaches mess up just as sometime the skaters do. Now, I normally wouldn’t talk to the instructor after the first day’s clinic, but felt I had to if my son was going to come back I had too. I just ask him if he could be more positive with my son on the ice. My son finished the rest of the clinic and there were no more incidences for the rest of the clinic. Yuro seemed to control himself better and push the kids hard in a more positive way. Yuro asked me afterward if my son could play\tryout for his AAA team. I figured no way is my son ready for him in that setting. Three kids from our association played in his AAA program and said it didn’t go well. Promises not kept and someone else was put in as their coach. My son played for the Edge and had a great time with that team. Now he plays for a different AAA team. I think Yuro can be a great coach for the right appropriate aged kids and if they respond well to his style. Everybody is motivated differently, I prefer the positive motivation at the young ages or you could find yourself trying to convince your son to get back on the ice.
"yelled at my son again"
Last edited by MrBoDangles on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

RsmtMoose wrote:Yes my emotions at the time were heightened to say the least and it would not have been a good idea to engage the instructor after the day’s clinic ended, but I did. I had no previous experience with Yuro. I could have gone to my association and maybe asked for a refund and that we would not be participating in the clinic, but decided to see if it we could work this out. I calmly talked with Yuro and then introduced him to my son. Maybe with the helmet off he could see and connect to the boy who was very young. He said some nice things to my son and my son felt much better. I made the decision after the conversation we could continue to try the clinic. Like I said after the first day, Yuro was more positive and the drills seemed to go better for all the boys. Should I be embarrassed that my son was bullied, maybe, but I couldn’t control that he was bullied. I can make a decision after it happens. Quit or stick to the commitment and try to work it out. I would like to think that if something else would have happened after my conversation with him, I wound not have been so calm in my next conversation. Now, the reasons for my posts are just to let you know what happened in my situation with Yuro and what you might see from him on the ice. Good or bad there are many different ways to motivate players. Some ways, I feel, are inappropriate at young ages. I have not seen Yuro or any of his clinics for 2 ½ years. Maybe he has changed when instructing very young kids, maybe not.
"yes my emotions were heightened to SAY THE LEAST"
RsmtMoose

Post by RsmtMoose »

This I hope will be my last post on the subject. Question was asked if he is worth the money. I feel most will think yes and maybe a few no. For me it is more about being age appropriate and knowing his style. Maybe also how well your players coping skills are. I shared my story. I don’t doubt his ability and passion for the game. I know players from our area he has coached are some of the best in the state for their age. He does have a certain style that is good for some and maybe not for others. There are many different coaching styles (Bobby Knight to Herb Brooks to Tony Dungy). I’m not going to argue one is better than the other, but will say that certain player personalities, coping skills and AGES work better with certain styles. I think the best coaches figure out what fits best for the individual players or their age. I don’t think the mask grab was anything other than to get to my sons eye level and get his attention. I do feel under no circumstance that is necessary by any coach, especially when you see the child is already upset. It was too much for my son to take and I wouldn't expect my son to do anything differently. My son has been to many clinics, off ice training, played in some leagues, played on 2 AAA teams and in his 4th season of winter hockey, 6am to whenever and only ONCE did I have to try to convince him to get on the ice. I really didn't like that feeling. This is why this subject touched a nerve with me. Does my son still get upset though, absolutely, but maybe that means he has passion for the game. Bottom line is maybe before you hire an instructor, you go to see one of his sessions to see if it would be a good fit for the age group of the players. Enough said from me.
ENJOYTHEGAME

Yuro?

Post by ENJOYTHEGAME »

Sorry Dangles, I'll get my eyes checked, missed that line.

Well stated Moose, check out Joe Dzeidzic, great skills coach, not sure if he still does clinics since he is now the Head Coach at St. Paul Academy. He manages to get things done at a high level but has more of a mentoring approach, less intense than Yuro. Used to run a great 3on3 at Parade on Sunday nights but was kind of an invite thing, if still available highly recommend it, website is jdhockey.com
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

At what age is ok to yell and mask grab? Just wondering.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Try-outs tonight/this weekend. I noticed Steve is coaching 03/04's. Wow should be interesting with that age!!
knights58

Yuro

Post by knights58 »

From what I've heard, the Reebok Nationals don't fare very well against the top AAA teams...at least on the boys side.
He's worked with our kids a few times this year...I do think he's good...but I've had my kid at other camps and with other clubs..and although some of the drills may be different, they are just as good. Yuro makes more noise than a lot of some of the others..and he's good...but there are many other good programs and teachers out there too. So, find what works best for your kid and go with it...whether it's Yuro, Machine, Monopoly, Blades, etc....they all produce some very good hockey players.
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

The guy gave a couple of hour+ camps last year in my city. He makes the kids work.....worth the money NO, I figure he cleared about $1000 for four hours of work.

There are many good coaches out there, bottomline is it's the kids ability to learn and perform. A kid in our association has been a member of his Nationals Team for four years. The kid still makes the same mistakes he made in squirts and is a middle of the road skater.
Goalie Dude

Post by Goalie Dude »

Marty McSorely wrote:The guy gave a couple of hour+ camps last year in my city. He makes the kids work.....worth the money NO, I figure he cleared about $1000 for four hours of work.

There are many good coaches out there, bottomline is it's the kids ability to learn and perform. A kid in our association has been a member of his Nationals Team for four years. The kid still makes the same mistakes he made in squirts and is a middle of the road skater.
Was he not worth the money because of the lack of training, or because he made some money? It is his business, so can you fault him for making a few bucks? I believe that there are a few others in town that make a good living doing the same thing.
I've never seen this guy, so I'm not picking sides. Just saying, if you make a choice to pay someone to train your kid and they learned something, don't knock them for what they make. I'm grateful that there are people in town that we chose to pay to train our kid.
If he wasn't a good trainer, please explain the reasons why. That's a different story then.
57special

Post by 57special »

Irish

Post by Irish »

Yuro is a good choice. Also look at Bill Bellmore. He's the 99 Nats coach. My son has skated with both coaches and prefers Bill over Yuro.

Yuro seems to work a little fast. Just about the time some of the kids pick up on the drills, Yuro is already starting another drill. Bill makes sure that all the kids understand what he's trying to teach. Both do a good job.
Pucksahater

Post by Pucksahater »

Nats finished strong this summer, except for a couple of hiccups.
Irish

Post by Irish »

Pucksahater wrote:Nats finished strong this summer, except for a couple of hiccups.
From what I hear the 99 Nats had a solid year. Sounds like they're keeping most of their core group and adding some nice players for next year.
It also doesn't hurt when they bring in kids from other states.

Pucks- Do you know who they're bringing in for next year?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Steve is Steve--- If you Know Steve YOU know what that means!!!!!!!!!!
Irish

Post by Irish »

Oh I know Steve. And I know exactly what you mean :wink:
TXinMyRearView

Yes, worth it

Post by TXinMyRearView »

old goalie85 wrote:Steve is Steve--- If you Know Steve YOU know what that means!!!!!!!!!!
Energy and passion. Some coaches have it, others skate your kids around the face off circles. We've been on the 97 Nats for 3 years running and would do it again. Easton Cup winners this past weekend.

My boy will tell you he is the best coach he's ever bad and he's had a few good ones! When a 15 year old is up at 6 am every day to skate with yuro and tells you he loves it, go with it. Dry head? LMFAO!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Steve coached my oldestest in squirts.[Cedar Rapid] Then all 5 have had him w/Travis Dundore[very good] Josh Dye[very good] Billy, and there was a year that the younger Woodcroft coached my 98 w/steve. My point is I thought the rest of the staff complimented him very well. He is a great skater, some drills are rushed, some are over the heads of the young kids/ mite level kids.[my opinion]
Cut Above

Post by Cut Above »

Agreed, tempo of practices is the best we've seen in 7 years of skating.
Burningdude

1999 son LOVES Yuro - more than drills - taught behavior

Post by Burningdude »

We were part of the expansion Northern Edge Reebok Nationals team in the Fargo Moorhead area for the summer of 2012 - Minnkota Nationals (NATS). As part of our program fee we had a TEAM ONLY week long summer hockey camp. I do feel he was worth the Money - we estimated the week long camp was about a 500-600 value - camp ran from 8-4 daily - with about half the time being "on-ice". We popped up for a day to watch how things shook out.

Is Yuro a yeller and screamer ??- umm, yup. But that is what my boy needs!! He makes sure every kid understands the drill and does it correctly. He will single out someone who is doing a drill wrong, but only to show them the right way. Embarassing?? - certainly to a sensative type...But like follow the leader...one kid does it wrong --the next kid only follows the kid ahead of him and before you know it the drill looks nothing like it did at the beginning (sorta like the old "telephone" game). My son had no issue with being directed to the proper way - and he was corrected plenty.

Yuro is intense and demanding, I only wish some of our coaches had 20% of that energy. He demands attention, respect, respect for coaches, for your other teammates and he taught "real life" values and how to behave Our camp wasn't just about the drills - he talked to the kids about how you go into the penalty box. He told the kids you go into the box not blaming the refs, no swearing/yelling, no pounding sticks or fists, or moping. You talk positive when entering the box to your teammates - (in a dramatized example by Yuro...and wording to the best of my recollection was....) "Sorry boys, my bad, my bad, but lets get out there and kill this penalty. go get em, lets get em boys." He encouraged the behavior of the kids to be positive rather than negative. He did a comparison dramatization of the WRONG way to enter the box... angry, slamming sticks, screaming, hanging heads. It was humerous as heck of course, but very effective none the less. He doesn't just stand and preach - he shows and tells, he does a drill, acts out a speech on behavior, puts it at thier level to understand.

He TAUGHT kids about behaviors and encouraging words , to talk to teammates constantly on the ice and from the bench. He did drills that involved TALKING - yes talking or you didn't get the pass! Yes drills were stopped, and a new "lesson" on behavior or "lack of" behavior was instilled...but we just thought he was amazing.

dry heads - LMAO - never!!

He is not for the faint at heart....but he was dealing with one of his AAA teams. They know what they are there for and it is intense. In our ASSOCIATION- I could almost tell you who would have had a problem with him because I know our kids so well. I will also add they are the same kids that we have problems with thier parents too! Funny how that spirals downward.

as far as telling or teaching? What is the difference? School Teachers tell us crap all day long- if it doesn't stick in our brain is that the fault of the teacher? I think not, it is our desire to LEARn and to listen and not "know it all" - that makes us teachable. COACHES AND KIDS have to take what the are TAUGHt and apply it. My kid still can't keep two hands on his stick and his blade on the ice, and Yuro chewed him plenty...years of bad habits don't go away with a week long camp or an hour long session. Don't be a drop and run parent--stay and WATCH thier session...see what Yuro is teaching and drill it into your kids head after that.

As far as the stick on the ice thing with us - I am considering duct-taping both his hands on the stick and putting a brick on the blade and make him skate for an hour every day this way!!!
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

NIGHT of the living dead!

Bringing this back?

By now people know that Yuro is great at making his points, ? Or is he?
Hands down best drills coach I have seen...bench coach ,,, well that to be seen..