Dec. 8th- MG at Blaine

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HSHockeyFan08

Post by HSHockeyFan08 »

[quote="passthepuck38"][quote="Hscout000"]Definetly saw this tonight.
Gross>Brodzinski

Brodzinski does not even belong in the same category as Gross. Gross is hands down the best defensemen in the state. Disapointed that the Gophers dropped the ball and picked Brodzinski out of these two.[/quote]
Gross=Better offensively
Brodzinski=Better defensively
pick what you want...[/quote]

Brodzinski better defensively? This is a joke right? Turns the puck over constantly.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

passthepuck38 wrote:
Hscout000 wrote:Definetly saw this tonight.
Gross>Brodzinski

Brodzinski does not even belong in the same category as Gross. Gross is hands down the best defensemen in the state. Disapointed that the Gophers dropped the ball and picked Brodzinski out of these two.
Gross=Better offensively
pick what you want...
Nailed!
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Gopher Blog wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:It kills me to know how close SCSU was to landing Gross. Now he'll be lucky to play two games in Minnesota throughout his college career.
I think we both know it wasn't as close as you are making it sound.
Actually, he really was. Check your messages.
Hscout000

Post by Hscout000 »

[/quote]Brodzinski does not even belong in the same category as Gross. Gross is hands down the best defensemen in the state. Disapointed that the Gophers dropped the ball and picked Brodzinski out of these two.[/quote]
Gross=Better offensively

Brodzinski better defensively? This is a joke right? Turns the puck over constantly.

Exactly, I don't know how you think Brodzinski is better defensively. He is smaller, slower, and turns the puck over way too much.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

passthepuck38 wrote:
Hscout000 wrote:Definetly saw this tonight.
Gross>Brodzinski

Brodzinski does not even belong in the same category as Gross. Gross is hands down the best defensemen in the state. Disapointed that the Gophers dropped the ball and picked Brodzinski out of these two.
Gross=Better offensively
pick what you want...
Watching him all last season, I would actually say Brodzinski needs to work on his defensive game more. Pretty skilled offensively, didn't rush the puck last night at all and didn't play to his ability, but Gross is a good all around defenseman, would be nice to see him stick around next year.
HSHockeyFan08

Post by HSHockeyFan08 »

[quote="LetsPlayHockey22"][quote="passthepuck38"][quote="Hscout000"]Definetly saw this tonight.
Gross>Brodzinski

Brodzinski does not even belong in the same category as Gross. Gross is hands down the best defensemen in the state. Disapointed that the Gophers dropped the ball and picked Brodzinski out of these two.[/quote]
Gross=Better offensively

Watching him all last season, I would actually say Brodzinski needs to work on his defensive game more. Pretty skilled offensively, didn't rush the puck last night at all and didn't play to his ability, but Gross is a good all around defenseman, would be nice to see him stick around next year.[/quote]

Completely agree. Doesn't really show in high school hockey, but definitely can stick out during Elite League games.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

If it makes everybody feel better, US Hockey Report (which is written by the former head scout of the NTDP) had both Brodzinski and Gross in its top 10 defensemen at last summer's USA Select 16s. In other words, they are both good players. Certainly each have their areas that need improvement as they develop.

I'm not really sure why some seem intent on taking down Brodzinski unless there is some personal reason for it (he plays for an opposing school, personality conflict, etc). The kid is a good player that was offered a spot on the NTDP and had offers from some very high profile D1 programs. Obviously there are a lot of intelligent talent evaluators out there that like him. I'm not saying you can't criticize but I think a few people here are going a little overboard on it.
Guru20

Post by Guru20 »

There is no way that Brodzinski is better then Gross defensively. Both very good players, but Gross is quite a bit better. Better hands, much better skater, and much smarter. Gross definitely has some work to do to become stronger and become a shutdown defensemen at the college level, but extremely smart and tough to score on because almost always in the correct position.

It sounds like people aren't necessarily ripping on Brodzinski, just Gopher fans that want the best players possible. They see big holes in Brodzinski, most that watched last night saw a faw superior defensemen in Gross out play Brodzinski, and are questioning the Gophers choosing Brodzinski over Gross. (I don't claim to know how the process went, or Gophers thinking, etc) Brodzinski definitely talented, and maybe even projected as higher draft potential because of size and frame, but the better college defensemen from everything I've seen is Gross.

Best of luck to both of them.
Shovel Shot

Post by Shovel Shot »

Well regardleass of all the hoopla about Brodzinski & Gross I thought MG did all the things they needed to come away with the "W"...

I was especially impressed with the way MG moved the puck througout the game and it was nice to see them take advantage of their PP oppourtunities. The attitude of the players on this team has really changed the last few years and that is nice to see.

Go Crimson!!!

:D :D :D
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Was Gross on the ice when he scored to tie the game..., or when he scored to win it in overtime?

Who would you choose on that day when it counted? I'll take the very intense and competitive winner... :wink:

:idea:
Hscout000

Post by Hscout000 »

Was Gross on the ice when he scored to tie the game..., or when he scored to win it in overtime?

Who would you choose on that day when it counted? I'll take the very intense and competitive winner...
Technically both goals were tipped in. The first by a senior last year and the second by Lambert.
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760
[/quote]
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Hscout000 wrote:

Who would you choose on that day when it counted? I'll take the very intense and competitive winner...
Technically both goals were tipped in. The first by a senior last year and the second by Lambert.
[/quote]
:roll:
LetsPlayHockey22

MrBoDangles wrote:
Hscout000 wrote:

:roll:[/quote]

The 2nd one was confirmed to be Lambert's in the Star Tribune the other day. Not taking anything away from Brodzinski, just stating facts.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Hscout000 wrote: Technically both goals were tipped in. The first by a senior last year and the second by Lambert.
The 2nd one was confirmed to be Lambert's in the Star Tribune the other day. Not taking anything away from Brodzinski, just stating facts.[/quote]
Pretty obvious that you are. Did you see the play?

Hockey Hub is Star Tribune :idea:
LetsPlayHockey22

MrBoDangles wrote:
LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
The 2nd one was confirmed to be Lambert's in the Star Tribune the other day. Not taking anything away from Brodzinski, just stating facts.

Hockey Hub is Star Tribune :idea:[/quote]

I have seen the play multiple times last spring on NMTV-15 on game replays and its pretty clear it was tipped, if not by Lambert than by the MG defenseman. The game commentators also gave it to Lambert, but what does it matter, that goal was last season. Like I said, I'm not saying Brodzinski isn't good, I was just agreeing with who said that goal was not his.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
LetsPlayHockey22 wrote: :roll:

I have seen the play multiple times last spring on NMTV-15 on game replays and its pretty clear it was tipped, if not by Lambert than by the MG defenseman. The game commentators also gave it to Lambert, but what does it matter, that goal was last season. Like I said, I'm not saying Brodzinski isn't good, I was just agreeing with who said that goal was not his.[/quote]
We'll just say that the "defenseman" scored it then.... :shock:
HockeyGuy81

Post by HockeyGuy81 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: The 2nd one was confirmed to be Lambert's in the Star Tribune the other day. Not taking anything away from Brodzinski, just stating facts.

I have seen the play multiple times last spring on NMTV-15 on game replays and its pretty clear it was tipped, if not by Lambert than by the MG defenseman. The game commentators also gave it to Lambert, but what does it matter, that goal was last season. Like I said, I'm not saying Brodzinski isn't good, I was just agreeing with who said that goal was not his.
We'll just say that the "defenseman" scored it then.... :shock:[/quote]

Seriously, arguing or making comments on who is "better" based on a goal or two and a game from last February, when the discussion is based on who is better now, is an absolute reach at best. OK, Brodzinski scored last February. Now make your case for why he's better today.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

HockeyGuy81 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
LetsPlayHockey22 wrote: Pretty obvious that you are. Did you see the play?

Seriously, arguing or making comments on who is "better" based on a goal or two and a game from last February, when the discussion is based on who is better now, is an absolute reach at best. OK, Brodzinski scored last February. Now make your case for why he's better today.[/quote]
You better read the others comments there bub.

Looked better in high performance too.....
mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

Gross is definitely on his way to being a kid who will be able to play at a high level for a long time if he continues his ascension...but Brodzinski I think will be fine. He has a lot to offer from what I've seen over the games I've watched...and he'll get better..
HockeyGuy81

Post by HockeyGuy81 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
HockeyGuy81 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: I have seen the play multiple times last spring on NMTV-15 on game replays and its pretty clear it was tipped, if not by Lambert than by the MG defenseman. The game commentators also gave it to Lambert, but what does it matter, that goal was last season. Like I said, I'm not saying Brodzinski isn't good, I was just agreeing with who said that goal was not his.
Seriously, arguing or making comments on who is "better" based on a goal or two and a game from last February, when the discussion is based on who is better now, is an absolute reach at best. OK, Brodzinski scored last February. Now make your case for why he's better today.
You better read the others comments there bub.

Looked better in high performance too.....[/quote]

How did he look Thursday?
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

It should almost be consensus that Gross is a more pure goal scorer and better in the offensive zone. I believe Gross also moves the puck better in the neutral zone and defensive zone as well, but without the puck in the d-zone can still work on his positioning/toughness. With that said, Mike is a hell of a player as well in ALL three zones, and it isn't fair to compare these two without realizing how extremely talented the two are. It will be a very, very interesting Section this winter. Cannot wait.