Class A Rankings 12-11-11

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who is the 4th best team in Class A right now?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:19 pm

Duluth Marshall
28%
East Grand Forks
38%
Another team
34%

Total votes: 29

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 12-11-11

Post by HShockeywatcher »

A lot of crazy games this week. The top 3 seem to be in a class of their own with 4 and 5 right behind them and the next 10-12 in a close bunch. Hopefully the next couple weeks will help things pan out. Also, there are already a couple situations of A beat B beat C beat A and they aren't fun to sort out.

As for the top 3 specifically, I need to see more games to be convinced that the order should be any different. Hermantown's defense seems to be quite suspect against even mediocre competition, Breck is playing close games and St Thomas' loss is to a top 10 AA team. These will most likely be our top 3 in at season's end and no order would surprise me, but none of the three have done much to show the order should be changed.

As always, comments are always welcome. Let me know if there are any teams out there that are winning and I should watch.

1. St Thomas Academy (1-1) [1-0]
The Cadets lost a close one to Hill-Murray but showed their defense is very good. They don’t look like they’ll be scoring a lot against good competition but if they can keep the puck out their net, they’ll be fine. How will they do against Lourdes this week?
This week: Wed@ Rochester Lourdes, Sat vs Henry Sibley

2. Hermantown (3-0) [2-0]
Allowing 3 goals to both Hopkins and Totino shows the Hawks’ defense isn’t all that great, but they are averaging 6.6 goals a game. Not many on their schedule will prevent them from scoring more than 5 goals.
This week: Tues vs Superior, Sat @ Rogers

3. Breck (5-0) [5-0]
Finishing their 5th game playing section foe Delano close doesn’t look great, but keeps them undefeated. After their idle week this week they play PA and AHA away in two days to prepare for a very winnable Silver Division of the Schwan Cup.
This week: Idle

4. Duluth Marshall (3-3) [2-2]
Marshall solidifies their spot in the top 5 playing a really good BSM team close. They have 7 games between now and playing Hermantown in January. Judd Peterson is leading the state in scoring.
This week: Fri @ Detroit Lakes, Sat @ Crookston

5. East Grand Forks (4-1) [4-0]
Great 8A matchup this week. Beat Totino by a better ratio than Hermantown did, which is a great sign. Unfortunately for EGF, with the nature of their schedule, they could theoretically be 23-5 (or better) with their only losses being to AA teams and get to state unseeded if the 4 above them all make it.
This week: Fri vs Warroad

6. Blake (4-2) [3-1]
Playing their first 10 games of the season on the road will probably help prepare the Bears for playoffs. They have one game between now and the Schwan Cup.
This week: Idle

7. Totino-Grace (2-3)
The Eagles played two good teams this week and scored 6 goals on Blake and Hermantown. Can they give St Thomas a run in 4A? How will they do against Benilde who Marshall lost to by 3?
This week: Tues @ Chisago Lakes, Thurs vs Benilde, Sat vs Holy Family Catholic

8. Thief River Falls (3-1-1) [2-1]
Beating Tartan by 2 and Johnson by only 1 doesn’t look great for the Prowlers trying to push Warroad aside in section 8A. How will they do against Bemidji this week?
This week: Thurs vs Bemidji, Sat @ International Falls

9. Delano (3-2) [2-2]
Delano was doing well last year and their two losses are to section foes Blake (in OT) and Breck (by 2). The Tigers could play Marshall over the holidays and after that Lourdes and Orono (x2) are the only teams that look to keep Delano from losing less than 5 games this season.
This week: Thurs @ Cathedral, Sat vs New Ulm

10. Hibbing/Chisholm (3-3) [3-2]
The Bluejackets beat International Falls and lost in OT to Roseau last week. They play Minnetonka at home this week which will be good preparation for the Iron Range Invitational.
This week: Sat vs Minnetonka

11. Virginia (2-1) [2-0]
We will see this week if this ranking is too high or not with 3 class A opponents that should be beaten by a top 10 team.
This week: Tues vs Denfeld, Fri vs International Falls, Sat @ Eveleth-Gilbert

12. Duluth Denfeld (4-1-1) [1-0-1]
With only 2 of their first 6 games against Class A opponents, only one of their opponents this week is as well. Both they and Virginia are really in the dark at the moment. I suspect Denfeld will fall in the coming weeks based how the margins of victory against some opponents, but we will have to wait and find out.
This week: Tues @ Virginia, Sat vs Buffalo

13. Little Falls (3-4) [3-4]
The Flyers are given the upper hand of this A beat B beat C circle because of beating Lourdes by 3. They are definitely beatable, but can also play with anyone. All 4 of their losses are 1 goal games.
This week: Tues vs Princeton, Thurs @ Alexandria

14. Rochester Lourdes (4-1) [3-1]
Lourdes has a similar schedule to last year where they can amass many wins and not tell us much about how good they are. Losing to Little Falls doesn’t help, but this week they host St Thomas so we’ll get a better picture of them.
This week: Wed vs St Thomas Academy, Sat @ Northfield

15. St Cloud Cathedral (3-2) [3-2]
Play two Class A teams, one of which is a surprise team this year, this week.
This week: Thurs vs Delano, Sat vs Sauk Rapids-Rice

Watch List

Marshall (5-0) [5-0]
This week: Tues @ Mankato West, Thurs vs Redwood Valley, Sat @ Wilmar

Waconia (6-1) [6-1]
This week: Tues @ Richfield, Thurs vs Robbinsdale Cooper, Sat @ Chaska

Mahtomedi (3-1) [2-1]
A close win over Rogers doesn’t look great, but they lost to Breck by only 3 in their first game of the season scoring 4 goals in the effort. Two tough away games against private schools this week; can they win more than one game this week?
This week: Tues @ Cretin, Thurs @ Hill-Murray, Sat vs North St Paul

Orono (1-1-1) [1-1]
Beating a typically good, but down this year, Warroad team is great to see but when their only other Class A game is a loss to #5 EGF, it’s hard to tell much about Orono. They have 3 games a good team could win before playing in the Bronze Division of Schwan Cup. Expect them to compete for a top 4 seed in section 2A.

Rogers (1-2) [1-2]
Another team that is tough to know much about yet, but they play another section foe in Hermantown this week. Hermantown ended their season 5-0 in the section final last year and Hermantown is better this year, can they keep it closer?
This week: Tues vs Bloomington Kennedy, Sat vs Hermantown

Warroad (3-2) [3-1]
Warroad is always competitive by the end of the season so seeing them lose to Orono came as a surprise. Can they pull either upset this week?
This week: Tues vs Bemidji, Fri @ East Grand Forks

International Falls (3-1) [3-1]
This week: Tues vs Lake of the Woods, Fri @ Virginia, Sat vs Thief River Falls
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
PuckRanger

Re: Class A Rankings 12-11-11

Post by PuckRanger »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Marshall solidifies their spot in the top 5 playing a really good BSM team close.
Wasn't that close of a game from what I heard... Sounds like most of the game was played in the Marshall zone and the stats back it up... BSM outshot them 53-16.

You should add International Falls (3-1) to at least your watch list. They beat Little Falls, trampled Eveleth and were a bounce away from knocking off Hibbing the other night in a very even game (Hibbing scored an empty-netter with 5 seconds left to gain the 4-2 final.) They looked just as good as Hibbing and have posted similar results early on and you have Hibbing at 10. If it were me, I'd have Virginia on the watch list and I Falls at #11... at least until its proven otherwise, and that opportunity will happen this coming Friday.
HShockeywatcher

PuckRanger wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Marshall solidifies their spot in the top 5 playing a really good BSM team close.
Wasn't that close of a game from what I heard... Sounds like most of the game was played in the Marshall zone and the stats back it up... BSM outshot them 53-16..
It was 2-1 BSM going into the 3rd and DM scored first making it 2-2 before BSM scored 3 unanswered goals in the third. Close for 70% of the game and then the better team took over.

One could also look at those stats and say that Marshall has better shot selection. They scored on 12.5% of their shots while BSM scored on 9.4% of their shots. Many shots can be deceiving, they can also be a sign of dominance. Hard to say.
PuckRanger wrote:
You should add International Falls (3-1) to at least your watch list. They beat Little Falls, trampled Eveleth and were a bounce away from knocking off Hibbing the other night in a very even game (Hibbing scored an empty-netter with 5 seconds left to gain the 4-2 final.) They looked just as good as Hibbing and have posted similar results early on and you have Hibbing at 10. If it were me, I'd have Virginia on the watch list and I Falls at #11... at least until its proven otherwise, and that opportunity will happen this coming Friday.
Added. The teams in the 7-20 range seem to all be either very close in ability or haven't shown enough to know where they should be yet.

Virginia is tough as they have two wins then a loss to a good Rapids team. But this week both they and Int. Falls have the ability to rise or falls.

Thanks for pointing out Int. Falls.
Puck76

Post by Puck76 »

Lourdes dropped too much. They had two tough games on consecutive nights. I think you credit Little Falls too much.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Puck76 wrote:Lourdes dropped too much. They had two tough games on consecutive nights. I think you credit Little Falls too much.
Probably true. They outshot LF 31-20 I think.
trev2k1

Post by trev2k1 »

Mite-dad wrote:
Puck76 wrote:Lourdes dropped too much. They had two tough games on consecutive nights. I think you credit Little Falls too much.
no big deal but shots were 31 to 24 in favor for RL
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Wasn't that close of a game from what I heard... Sounds like most of the game was played in the Marshall zone and the stats back it up... BSM outshot them 53-16..
It was 2-1 BSM going into the 3rd and DM scored first making it 2-2 before BSM scored 3 unanswered goals in the third. Close for 70% of the game and then the better team took over.

One could also look at those stats and say that Marshall has better shot selection. They scored on 12.5% of their shots while BSM scored on 9.4% of their shots. Many shots can be deceiving, they can also be a sign of dominance. Hard to say.
I might have worded that poorly. I actually talked to someone who was at the game. That is what I meant by "sounds like"... I wasn't going by the stat sheet. His exact words were "Marshall wasn't in the same league" (and this is from a Marshall supporter that I trust). I mentioned the shots because they back up what he told me.
shins

Post by shins »

Mite-dad wrote:
Lourdes has a very nice team-- don't forget that the shot total is also reflective of the 4-5 power plays RL had, including a 2:00 5x3, to LF one.
I think the top 3 teams are a step above the rest of class A, there are a lot of good teams filling out the rankings, but 3 scary teams.
Don't forget-- LF played Virginia and I Falls back to back on the road too...
HShockeywatcher

There are just as many votes for "another team" being the #4 team in the state; who is that other team in your opinion?

I'm going to add a few teams to my watch list. Some will most likely lose their spot, but there are others that (while they won't touch the top 15) will remain their because of their wins and still have a chance at a state berth with their section.

Marshall (5-0) has the benefit of a rather easy schedule and has allowed a few goals in most of their games. It also looks like they unfortunately only play a 21 game schedule. Looking over their schedule they don't play any games you can mark off as a loss right now; they could go into sections with less than 5 losses and if they make it to state maybe win a game or two in the consolation bracket. It will be interesting to follow them this season.

Waconia (6-1) has the benefit of an easier pre-conference schedule, but once they start into their Wright County schedule, I expect a handful of losses and being in section 2A it's hard to be optimistic, but it's great to see them doing well in the beginning of the season.
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

Watcher appears to be trying to wish STA into the top spot even though they they've lost one and barely won one in OT. On top of fact that they are the only two ranked undeafeated teams and his own poll had Breck/Hermantown getting a combined 31 top votes and STA only getting 3, here are FTP and HH rankings this week.

FOLLOW THE PUCK RANKINGS:

CLASS A RANKINGS
Dec. 11th, 2011
1 Breck School (2A) 5-0-0
2 Hermantown (5A) 3-0-0
3 St. Thomas Academy (4A) 1-1-0
4 East Grand Forks (8A) 3-1-0
5 Rochester Lourdes (1A) 3-1-0
6 Duluth Marshall (7A) 3-3-0
7 St. Cloud Cathedral (5A) 3-2-0
8 Totino-Grace (4A) 2-3-0
9 Thief River Falls (8A) 2-1-1
10 Blake School (2A) 4-2-0
11 Mahtomedi (4A) 3-1-0
12 Hibbing/Chisholm (7A) 3-3-0
13 Duluth Denfeld (7A) 4-1-1
14 Delano/Rockford (2A) 3-2-0
15 Rogers (5A) 1-2-0
16 Virginia/MIB (7A) 2-1-0
17 Little Falls (6A) 3-4-0
18 Warroad (8A) 3-2-0
19 Mound-Westonka (2A) 4-2-0
20 South St. Paul (4A) 2-1-1

HOCKEY HUB

Class 1A
December 12, 2011

Rank Team Prev.
1 Breck (5-0-0) 1
2 Hermantown (3-0-0) 3
3 St. Thomas Ac. (1-1-0) 2
4 Duluth Marshall (3-3-0) 4
5 E. Grand Forks (2-1-0) 7
6 Thief River Falls (3-1-0) 6
7 Roch. Lourdes (4-1-0) 5
8 Duluth Denfeld (4-1-0) 9
9 St. Cloud Cath. (3-2-0) 10
10 Mahtomedi (3-1-0) NR

Time to get off the STA bus! They were the best last year and might be the best next year, but this year should be Breck and Hermantown's year!
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

Goldy23 wrote:Watcher appears to be trying to wish STA into the top spot even though they they've lost one and barely won one in OT. On top of fact that they are the only two ranked undeafeated teams and his own poll had Breck/Hermantown getting a combined 31 top votes and STA only getting 3, here are FTP and HH rankings this week.

FOLLOW THE PUCK RANKINGS:

CLASS A RANKINGS
Dec. 11th, 2011
1 Breck School (2A) 5-0-0
2 Hermantown (5A) 3-0-0
3 St. Thomas Academy (4A) 1-1-0
4 East Grand Forks (8A) 3-1-0
5 Rochester Lourdes (1A) 3-1-0
6 Duluth Marshall (7A) 3-3-0
7 St. Cloud Cathedral (5A) 3-2-0
8 Totino-Grace (4A) 2-3-0
9 Thief River Falls (8A) 2-1-1
10 Blake School (2A) 4-2-0
11 Mahtomedi (4A) 3-1-0
12 Hibbing/Chisholm (7A) 3-3-0
13 Duluth Denfeld (7A) 4-1-1
14 Delano/Rockford (2A) 3-2-0
15 Rogers (5A) 1-2-0
16 Virginia/MIB (7A) 2-1-0
17 Little Falls (6A) 3-4-0
18 Warroad (8A) 3-2-0
19 Mound-Westonka (2A) 4-2-0
20 South St. Paul (4A) 2-1-1

HOCKEY HUB

Class 1A
December 12, 2011

Rank Team Prev.
1 Breck (5-0-0) 1
2 Hermantown (3-0-0) 3
3 St. Thomas Ac. (1-1-0) 2
4 Duluth Marshall (3-3-0) 4
5 E. Grand Forks (2-1-0) 7
6 Thief River Falls (3-1-0) 6
7 Roch. Lourdes (4-1-0) 5
8 Duluth Denfeld (4-1-0) 9
9 St. Cloud Cath. (3-2-0) 10
10 Mahtomedi (3-1-0) NR

Time to get off the STA bus! They were the best last year and might be the best next year, but this year should be Breck and Hermantown's year!
Barely getting by Delano and getting outshot doesnt get you to number 1. Breck is NOT a number one team this year. Still think its between EGF and Hermantown but my edge goes to Hermantown as they have alot more talent than Breck. Who voted? Mr Anderson 35 times is my guess....
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

Fatontheice-

1-good to see your still haten on the Mustangs.
2-Breck outshot Delano 43-30 according to Hockey Hub
3-in beating 4 top 15 A teams plus SPA so far, they have averaged 7.2 goals per game and outscored their opponents almost 3-1 and never been behind.
4-I like their chances as long as they continue to outshot the other guys by more than 2.5-1

They are currently averaging almost 20 minutes of penalties per game. Assuming they can get that under control, you will only see those numbers widen.

In HH's, FTP's, and my 2011-12 view (and I know you disagree) as the season unfolds you will see that STA is good, Hermantown is better and the Mustangs are the best. Just like 2010 all over again!
Puck76

Post by Puck76 »

Early this season Breck was carrying extra people, i.e. they had lines that did not dress and rotated in to play in subsequent games. Are they still doing that?
HShockeywatcher

Goldy23 wrote: Time to get off the STA bus! They were the best last year and might be the best next year, but this year should be Breck and Hermantown's year!
You seem to like circles (or just have selective reading). There is no bus. The poll I used the last two years to start my ranking (LPH) had St Thomas #1 to start, Hermantown #2 and Breck #3. Nothing has happened to prove that those aren't still the case.
Breck has beaten some good teams, but given up lots of goals, Hermantown has allowed more goals than a top team would to some opponents and St Thomas has played two good games against two good opponents.
As I've said, and repeated numerous times, they are the top three, in a class of their own this year and are in the same order they started in. Nothing has happened yet to warrant moving any of them from any starting position. They are where they are because of where they started, not because of anything that has happened since.

To me, playing more games doesn't prove you are better than another team. It seems that is the general consensus here though...
HShockeywatcher

Few questions to pose for discussion:

More people have chosen "another team" for #4 in state than DM or EGF and more have chosen East Grand Forks than Duluth Marshall.
1. What other teams are you guys thinking should be there and why?
2. Why EGF more than Marshall?

And lastly...
3. If the top 3 plus Marshall make it to state and EGF makes it with no Class A losses (probably tough in 8A), should they be seeded?
They already have a loss to Bemidji (albeit their first game) by the same score as Sartell's loss to them and their only Class A competition being TRF and Warroad. They also play Moorhead and Bemidji once more and Roseau twice more, but they could roll into state with a record of 20-5 (or better) and have proven very little statewide.

Thanks for all of the positive comments and thoughtful discussion guys :D
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Few questions to pose for discussion:

More people have chosen "another team" for #4 in state than DM or EGF and more have chosen East Grand Forks than Duluth Marshall.
1. What other teams are you guys thinking should be there and why?
2. Why EGF more than Marshall?

And lastly...
3. If the top 3 plus Marshall make it to state and EGF makes it with no Class A losses (probably tough in 8A), should they be seeded?
They already have a loss to Bemidji (albeit their first game) by the same score as Sartell's loss to them and their only Class A competition being TRF and Warroad. They also play Moorhead and Bemidji once more and Roseau twice more, but they could roll into state with a record of 20-5 (or better) and have proven very little statewide.

Thanks for all of the positive comments and thoughtful discussion guys :D
EGF should be #3.
STA should be #4
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

Goldy23 wrote:Fatontheice-

3-in beating 4 top 15 A teams plus SPA so far, they have averaged 7.2 goals per game and outscored their opponents almost 3-1 and never been behind.
4-I like their chances as long as they continue to outshot the other guys by more than 2.5-1

They are currently averaging almost 20 minutes of penalties per game. Assuming they can get that under control, you will only see those numbers widen.

In HH's, FTP's, and my 2011-12 view (and I know you disagree) as the season unfolds you will see that STA is good, Hermantown is better and the Mustangs are the best. Just like 2010 all over again!
Goldy:

1.) I don't hate the mustangs, I just don't like you. You stretch the truth and relish in the fact that a team of recruited all-stars (certainly not academic) can beat community based programs on a regular basis, then you continually come on here and trumpet it...Its not a real accomplished but you seem to be so insecure that you need to come on here and talk yourself into how good you are again and again...I have more class than that.

2.) The stats on shots have been changed (funny how that happens) since the game ended. Somehow Breck now has 10 more shots.

3.) Breck has given up 4.0 goals per game against common "top Opponents" When everyone comes to their senses St. Cloud will no longer be in top 15 or top 20 for that matter. My main point is that Breck doesn't have the defense or goalie to deserve a #1 ranking. You might be able to hide it in the tri-metro conference and pre-season schedule you have but it will come out sooner or later.

4.) Team chemistry is gonna be a major issue for the mustangs this year.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

elliott70 wrote: EGF should be #3.
STA should be #4
#1 Hermantown
#2 Breck
#3 St Thomas Academy
#4 Duluth Marshall
#5 EGF

Only comparable opponents to date:

EGF 4 Providence Academy 1
Duluth Marshall 11 Providence Academy 0
BleedRed

Post by BleedRed »

It's gonna be a 2 horse race this year:
#1 Hermantown
#2 Breck
serenity888

Post by serenity888 »

flatontheice wrote:

Goldy:

1.) I don't hate the mustangs, I just don't like you. You stretch the truth and relish in the fact that a team of recruited all-stars (certainly not academic) can beat community based programs on a regular basis, then you continually come on here and trumpet it...Its not a real accomplished but you seem to be so insecure that you need to come on here and talk yourself into how good you are again and again...I have more class than that.

2.) The stats on shots have been changed (funny how that happens) since the game ended. Somehow Breck now has 10 more shots.

3.) Breck has given up 4.0 goals per game against common "top Opponents" When everyone comes to their senses St. Cloud will no longer be in top 15 or top 20 for that matter. My main point is that Breck doesn't have the defense or goalie to deserve a #1 ranking. You might be able to hide it in the tri-metro conference and pre-season schedule you have but it will come out sooner or later.

The irony of a self-proclaimed "I have more class than that," preceded by a dig at the academic qualifications of high school kids, delivered in a message riddled with grammatical errors, is almost too much to bear.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

serenity888 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

Goldy:

The irony of a self-proclaimed "I have more class than that," preceded by a dig at the academic qualifications of high school kids, delivered in a message riddled with grammatical errors, is almost too much to bear.
My apologies...Not meant to be a lesson in grammar... I admit, I'm not that good at grammar ...not meant to be "dig" at kids..just a point that paying the tuition of strong hockey players is not part of the academic party line the school tries to sell everyone on. When you do that, It's my opinion that you SHOULD win games against community based programs and that coming on hear and trumpeting your success with a "bought" team against other teams that don't have those means is embarrassing. Class A Hockey is always a depth issue and when you don't have to play on the same level as everyone else that way, I don't think you should flaunt it. That is why I choose to point out why Goldy23 is actually doing the program more harm than good.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Guys,
I don't agree with HSHW rankings.
But I appreciate the effort he puts into it and the fact that he has the guts to present it.
Perhaps we can keep it to a discussion of who is 1, 2, 3, 4....
and leave the other crap out of it.

Thanks.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

elliott70 wrote:Guys,
I don't agree with HSHW rankings.
But I appreciate the effort he puts into it and the fact that he has the guts to present it.
Perhaps we can keep it to a discussion of who is 1, 2, 3, 4....
and leave the other crap out of it.

Thanks.
you are correct..fair enough. My apolgies for digressing.
hockeyrocks

Post by hockeyrocks »

Bought or not bought, I'd have to say that Breck looks like they have the most proven talent of the teams mentioned. It's to bad they won't play Hermantown during the season like they will Saint Thomas. Wouldn't be surprised to see both Hermantown and Breck go undefeated against their class A foes this year.
HShockeywatcher

hockeyrocks wrote:Bought or not bought, I'd have to say that Breck looks like they have the most proven talent of the teams mentioned. It's to bad they won't play Hermantown during the season like they will Saint Thomas. Wouldn't be surprised to see both Hermantown and Breck go undefeated against their class A foes this year.
Only Class A loss for Hermantown last year was St Thomas...both Breck and Hermantown lost to St Thomas 4-5, the Hawks in OT.
On paper Hermantown is by far the best compared to last year, followed by Breck. But that implies two things; 1. The players improved that much more than what St Thomas replaced theirs with and 2. that games are played on paper...

Another interesting point (at least to me) is what position players are at. I haven't taken the time (yet) to digest all three rosters, but I know St Thomas has top D and starting G returning, while Hermantown lost their G. Not sure about Breck. Anyone have a breakdown off hand of what was lost on all three in each position?

If only games were played on paper... \:D/