White Bear Lake vs. Hill-Murray at Aldrich 12-22-11

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Pick the winner

White Bear Lake Bears
26%
Hill-Murray Pioneers
74%

Total votes: 34

HappyHockeyFan

Re: WBL - HM

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

stpaul wrote:Lots of fun tonight at Aldrich over on the HM side. Not much tension though. It never felt like WBL was in it. Maybe the naysayers about Sager are right. The Bears are an undisciplined mess. Schletty didn't get much help. The 5 guys on the ice in front of him needed to play tight defense but were all over the place. Dugas was very solid for HM. WBL had 26 shots but very few really good scoring chances or rebounds. One of their goals was on a 5 on 3. WBL may win the SEC but would be no better than 5th in the CSC. HM, STA, Mahtomedi and No. St. Paul are all better than WBL right now.
I agree with you regarding the WBL defense, they seriously need to tighten that up. However, I am going to respectfully disagree with your overall assessement of the game. Hillmurray came out fast and put up 3 goals in the first ten minutes but from that point on WBL played them 4 to 2. You cant take away those first 3 goals, I understand that, but overall this game was not as lopsided as the score suggests. And I did see several great scoring chances for WBL that they missed on, this could have easily been a 5 to 4 game instead of 7 to 2.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

It also easily could have been 10-2...Hill dominated..
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

sachishi4 wrote:It also easily could have been 10-2...Hill dominated..
You must be confusing the JV game with the Varsity game ... :lol: :lol:
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

With all the stupid penalties by WBL at the end, if HM poured it one heavy it would have been an ugly score. Probably would have ended with more WBL penalties. They need to learn how to not complain after every penalty they take.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

It could have been 6-0 after one if Hill could clear their own zone. Which they can't. Good thing they have Dugas. Until he gets some help he won't be treating the D to pizza any time soon.

It's tough to judge how good White Bear is when they play Hill. Especially in December but more so in February (March some years) they really step it up against Hill. That's a compliment to both programs.

It was good to see a full house at Aldrich again. Great idea to hold it at an arena big enough to hold everyone who wants to see it. Gee, maybe they do that every year? Unlike last year's venue, the majority of the seats have good sight lines, too.

I have to tip my hat to the White Bear students. Down 3-0 half a period in, they were just as loud and raucous as if they were up 3-0. And although undisciplined, the team played just as hard late in the game down 7-2 as they did in the free-wheeling first period. They filled an entire section, and those students are a big part of what it makes it such a great rivalry would have made for an even better atmosphere.

Why was the visiting band on the home side of the arena? Having both bands present

As usual, a late season meeting should be closer.
isee

Post by isee »

Pioneer Guy,
The student section was the only good thing about the game, as I said in my earlier post, this is an undisciplined team, several 10 min. unsportsmanlike conducts this year already, 2 - 5 minute majors in the last 2 games, and no repercussions, OH unless your not one of the favorites, than there will be repercussions. I have to say that I was embarrassed with WB maturity and performance last night. The 3rd line was the only line that showed effort last night, good for them, I felt kinda bad for the Goalie, having all those odd man rushes, and no defense or back checkers, I could almost feel his frustration. For the last 10 years WB has been notorious for only caring about one, maybe two lines, what ever happened to developing and entire team. From what I gather, Hill is typically not a dump and chase type of team, but someone did there homework and realized WB is struggling with there breakout, so all they had to do is forecheck, at least someone had a strategy going into this game.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Oh I didn't at all suggest it was a great hockey game or that it was well-played. As a Hill fan, I'm not thrilled about the way they played overall. The officials (4 total) were terrible and let the game get out of hand. But it was entertaining and fun and well worth the six bucks.
BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs »

Things I liked from WBL
-Mitch Morrisette looked real good on most of his possessions.
-Student section
-The intensity to start the 2nd

Things that gave me a headache
-Defense in front of Schletty
-Penalties. Especially the ones by Wahlin. Boy does he remind me of a young Tony Villeneuve (not sure if that's a good thing.)
-Lack of offensive output.
Mr Hockey

Huge attendance for the game

Post by Mr Hockey »

The attendance for the HM/WBL JV/Varsity games were 2,200 people. That is nice to see!!!
Totino and Spring Lake Park had a great crowd for them as 600 fans made the trip to Parade for that 2-1 thriller in favor of the Eagles!!!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
stpaul wrote:Lots of fun tonight at Aldrich over on the HM side. Not much tension though. It never felt like WBL was in it. Maybe the naysayers about Sager are right. The Bears are an undisciplined mess. Schletty didn't get much help. The 5 guys on the ice in front of him needed to play tight defense but were all over the place. Dugas was very solid for HM. WBL had 26 shots but very few really good scoring chances or rebounds. One of their goals was on a 5 on 3. WBL may win the SEC but would be no better than 5th in the CSC. HM, STA, Mahtomedi and No. St. Paul are all better than WBL right now.
I agree with you regarding the WBL defense, they seriously need to tighten that up. However, I am going to respectfully disagree with your overall assessement of the game. Hillmurray came out fast and put up 3 goals in the first ten minutes but from that point on WBL played them 4 to 2. You cant take away those first 3 goals, I understand that, but overall this game was not as lopsided as the score suggests. And I did see several great scoring chances for WBL that they missed on, this could have easily been a 5 to 4 game instead of 7 to 2.
Two goals in the first 3 minutes of the game, and then the third at the 10 minute mark (all against the bears top line) sure took the tension out of the game. But, I thought WBL controlled the rest of the period and dominated the second. Hill scored at the 12 minute mark in the 2nd and I think this was their first shot on net for the period. Third period was a little rediculous as both teams started taking runs at each other. This didn't surprise me, after seeing HM end both the 1st and 2nd periods with late hits after the horn. You just knew the 3rd would get chippy after that.

What I thought would be the Bears strength, defense and goaltending, have been nothing but pathetic these last two games. Giving up 14 goals this week is not going to get them far. Schletty looks slow and still in football shape. The defensemen in front of him are not clearing the crease and playing too soft. They need a lot of work to get back to the way they played in sections and state last year.

Last thought, Sager needs to switch the 2nd and 3rd lines. The 2nd line has done nothing for two games, while the 3rd line can at least sustain some offensive zone pressure.

P.S. "WBL may win the SEC but would be no better than 5th in the CSC. HM, STA, Mahtomedi and No. St. Paul are all better than WBL right now." :lol:
SChockey

Post by SChockey »

I have not seen Mahtomedi and NSP this year, but I really have a tough time believing they are both better than White Bear. With the way the Bears have been playing lately I'm sure the games would be pretty close, but to say those two teams, if WB was in the CSC, would finish ahead of WB? Seems like a little bit of a stretch.

Sager will have his team ready come sections. I have no doubt in my mind. Do I think WB would beat Hill if they were to play in the championship again? No, probably not. But the Bears will get it together....they just need to find guys that will step up and fill in Wahlin and Birkinbine's shoes a little bit. Lots of games left. The whining after penalties needs to stop though.
stpaul

WBL - HM

Post by stpaul »

12/6/05 - HM 1, WBL 0
3/3/06 - HM 5, WBL 4, 2OT
12/5/06 - HM 2, WBL 1, OT
12/28/06 - HM 3, WBL 2
3/2/07 - HM 3, WBL 1
12/22/07 - HM 5, WBL 2
12/27/07 - HM 6, WBL 3
2/29/08 - HM 2, WBL 1
12/23/08 - HM 5, WBL 2
3/4/09 - HM 5, WBL 4, OT
12/15/09 - HM 5, WBL 0
12/30/09 - HM 4, WBL 3
3/5/10 - HM 5, WBL 1
12/23/10 - HM 3, WBL 0
3/4/11 - WBL 5, HM 4, 2OT
*12/22/11 - HM 7, WBL 2

*Ah, the universe is back in its proper order.
buzzershot

Post by buzzershot »

Happy you definitely are happy with your rose colored glasses on. This was just an ugly game for the Bears start to finish.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Jeez, when was the last time WBL won one of these games in 51 minute? Pr was it way back in the, when periods were only 15 minutes. Tough to remember that far back.
stpaul

WBL - HM

Post by stpaul »

November 23, 2004 @ Aldrich
Hill-Murray 1 0 1 - 2
White Bear 2 1 0 - 3

First period
HM, McEnaney 1, 2:56.
WBL, Grun (Connelly, Kovacs), 10:04.
WBL, Fuith (Nicholas), 11:47.
Second period
WBL, Hilpisch (Klammer, Kleidon), 1:57.
Third period
HM, Spies 1 (Skarda, Hoeffel), 5:22.
Game Stats
Shots on Goal - HM 8-8-6=22; WBL 7-6-7=20.
Goalie Saves - HM, Dawson (L, 17/20); WBL, Faust (W, 20/22).
East Side Pioneer Guy

Nice work Saint Paul.

For some guys it takes 8 hours to get in a day's work. Others need 9, 10, maybe more.
The Gumper

Post by The Gumper »

Anyone know where Sampair played association/club hockey?
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Mahtomedi , sorry if I spelled it wrong! and white bear lake.
stpaul

CSC vs SEC

Post by stpaul »

The Classic Suburban Conference dominance of the Suburban East continues in 2011-2012. HM won the battle of 1st place teams over WBL 7-2. The overall record for the CSC so far is 5-2 vs the SEC. The previous two seasons were a combined 17-9-2 for the CSC. It is clearly a better hockey conference. The little CSC schools should no longer fear their giant neighbors as they have outclassed them 22-11-2 over the past 2-1/2 years.
WHAFightingSaints

Re: CSC vs SEC

Post by WHAFightingSaints »

stpaul wrote:The Classic Suburban Conference dominance of the Suburban East continues in 2011-2012. HM won the battle of 1st place teams over WBL 7-2. The overall record for the CSC so far is 5-2 vs the SEC. The previous two seasons were a combined 17-9-2 for the CSC. It is clearly a better hockey conference. The little CSC schools should no longer fear their giant neighbors as they have outclassed them 22-11-2 over the past 2-1/2 years.
Well at least the SEC bottom feeders schedule the CSC, when is the last time Richfield, Henry Sibley or Simley scheduled an SEC team? I know they are your little Class A teams. North St. Paul's non-conference schedule looks like they want to play in Class A, same for Tartan. All you SEC bashers keep forgetting you have Henry Sibley, Richfield and Simley, three of the absolute worst teams in the metro! Overall the SEC is better and the Page Stat Ratings and the ushsho rankings back it up. The CSC has to take the really good with the really bad, the SEC has to take all their average teams, add it up, the SEC is better, and it produces the better in conference hockey games!
PuckU126

Re: CSC vs SEC

Post by PuckU126 »

WHAFightingSaints wrote:
stpaul wrote:The Classic Suburban Conference dominance of the Suburban East continues in 2011-2012. HM won the battle of 1st place teams over WBL 7-2. The overall record for the CSC so far is 5-2 vs the SEC. The previous two seasons were a combined 17-9-2 for the CSC. It is clearly a better hockey conference. The little CSC schools should no longer fear their giant neighbors as they have outclassed them 22-11-2 over the past 2-1/2 years.
Well at least the SEC bottom feeders schedule the CSC, when is the last time Richfield, Henry Sibley or Simley scheduled an SEC team? I know they are your little Class A teams. North St. Paul's non-conference schedule looks like they want to play in Class A, same for Tartan. All you SEC bashers keep forgetting you have Henry Sibley, Richfield and Simley, three of the absolute worst teams in the metro! Overall the SEC is better and the Page Stat Ratings and the ushsho rankings back it up. The CSC has to take the really good with the really bad, the SEC has to take all their average teams, add it up, the SEC is better, and it produces the better in conference hockey games!
This is the same debate as last year, and it will most likely occur for the next several years.

8)
The Puck
LGW
The Gumper

Post by The Gumper »

keepyourheadup wrote:Mahtomedi , sorry if I spelled it wrong! and white bear lake.
You spelled it right, thanks. Another player for whom Hill-Murray sent a thank-you card to the Mahtomedi and White Bear Lake hockey associations for teaching him to play hockey, I guess.
stpaul

WBL - HM

Post by stpaul »

Do Mahtomedi and White Bear Lake High Schools send thank you notes to those hockey associations ?
East Side Pioneer Guy

St. Paul, you can't be serious. You've seen White Bear play this year. Why would they send a thank you note to the White Bear youth association?

You got a serious credibility problem with me. (wink)
The Gumper

Post by The Gumper »

stpaul wrote:Do Mahtomedi and White Bear Lake High Schools send thank you notes to those hockey associations ?
Perhaps only if Hill-Murray (or STA, or Benilde, etc.) came calling and the player decided to play high school hockey in his home area, with his youth hockey teammates, where he learned to play hockey, I suppose.