Youth Hockey Hub Rankings: 01-02-12

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

Youth Hockey Hub Rankings: 01-02-12

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Our rankings are now out for all 9 levels we cover:

http://youthhockeyhub.com/youth-hockeyrankings/

Teams that moved up or moved in:

PWB: Stillwater Black (finished second in Edina) and Wayzata Gold (won MW tourney)
U14: Buffalo Black
PWA: Elk River (won Edina), Centennial (beat PL), St. Mike (undefeated December vs. Minnesota teams)
BAN A: Lakeville North (second in Edina) and Eastview (won MW tourney)
U10A: WBL (beat Edina and won Wayzata tourney)
BAN B: Jefferson (won MW Tourney)
SQA: Andover (won NSP tourney)

Don't forget our Game of the Week tonight in White Bear (U10A: #2 White Bear vs. #4 Stillwater).

Below is a preview released last week:

http://youthhockeyhub.com/u10a-battle-8 ... bear-lake/
BenDangle

Post by BenDangle »

Your Peewee rankings look to be right on.

Talk to a D8 dad today who says that Lakeville S will pound Prior Lake the next time they play IF they play. He said PL the most overrated of the bunch. They got one guy who'd make any team a top five team in the state.

I'm a D6 guy so I naturally laughed in his face.
Monsterbuck1

Post by Monsterbuck1 »

BenDangle wrote:Your Peewee rankings look to be right on.

Talk to a D8 dad today who says that Lakeville S will pound Prior Lake the next time they play IF they play. He said PL the most overrated of the bunch. They got one guy who'd make any team a top five team in the state.

I'm a D6 guy so I naturally laughed in his face.
Of course you think the rankings are right on BD - There are four D6 teams in the top 7 - what a joke. I wonder how many of the rankers are located in D6 compared to others??? :) Keep the boys from D6 rollin' and you may soon hold all of the top five slots.
BenDangle

Post by BenDangle »

The district that sets the bar for excellence is being given it's due and you whine?

Where does this site go wrong?

4 teams that are ranked deserve their ranking. Minnetonka, Edina, Eden Prairie and "overrated" Prior Lake have all good resume and have very similar rankings by all of the sites. So I doubt that there is a D6 conspiracy or agendas.
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

Whats new D6 always dominates. Prior Lake deserves to be the top team in state at this time.
Monsterbuck1

Post by Monsterbuck1 »

BenDangle wrote:The district that sets the bar for excellence is being given it's due and you whine?

4 teams that are ranked deserve their ranking. Minnetonka, Edina, Eden Prairie and "overrated" Prior Lake have all good resume and have very similar rankings by all of the sites. So I doubt that there is a D6 conspiracy or agendas.
I will say that EP and Edina are masters of setting up their tournaments to have success. The state champion at PWA will not come from D6 this year.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

Monsterbuck1 wrote:
BenDangle wrote:The district that sets the bar for excellence is being given it's due and you whine?

I will say that EP and Edina are masters of setting up their tournaments to have success. The state champion at PWA will not come from D6 this year.
I'm thinking there's some folks in Prior Lake that would beg to differ.
Trout

Post by Trout »

Order is probably not right but the top 8 probably is. LVS, Swter and OMG in same pool changed the outcome of that tourney.

Who cares at this point. Right now any of the top 8 could beat anyone else on any given night (or Sunday).

LVS, ER and PL. Deserve top billing. After that Stillwater, EP, Edina, OMG and Tonka are the group.
snyper12

Re: Youth Hockey Hub Rankings: 01-02-12

Post by snyper12 »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:Our rankings are now out for all 9 levels we cover:

http://youthhockeyhub.com/youth-hockeyrankings/

Teams that moved up or moved in:

PWB: Stillwater Black (finished second in Edina) and Wayzata Gold (won MW tourney)
U14: Buffalo Black
PWA: Elk River (won Edina), Centennial (beat PL), St. Mike (undefeated December vs. Minnesota teams)
BAN A: Lakeville North (second in Edina) and Eastview (won MW tourney)
U10A: WBL (beat Edina and won Wayzata tourney)
BAN B: Jefferson (won MW Tourney)
SQA: Andover (won NSP tourney)

Don't forget our Game of the Week tonight in White Bear (U10A: #2 White Bear vs. #4 Stillwater).

Below is a preview released last week:

http://youthhockeyhub.com/u10a-battle-8 ... bear-lake/

Order/list looks spot on! While I dont think PL will be 1 at the end of the day hard to argue this week, they won the tournament (despite in unconvicing form for a #1 vs lower level teams) and South just lost and ER didn't make ship in Duluth just a few weeks ago with a tie vs FL - no offense to OG85.

Thx Michael Scott - oops I mean Tony.
offside14

Post by offside14 »

Don't get how Stillwater is still held in such high regard. Their record is inconsistent at best. Lost in consolation to Wayzata gold in their own tourney. Don't get me wrong they are a nice team but 8th is pretty generous. Where did Hermantown go. They are alot stronger team than they are getting credit for. Not sold on your ranking system yet, still think there is way too much opinion/ego and not enough fact/math.
TheJet

Post by TheJet »

offside14 wrote:Don't get how Stillwater is still held in such high regard. Their record is inconsistent at best. Lost in consolation to Wayzata gold in their own tourney. Don't get me wrong they are a nice team but 8th is pretty generous. Where did Hermantown go. They are alot stronger team than they are getting credit for. Not sold on your ranking system yet, still think there is way too much opinion/ego and not enough fact/math.
This site has Stillwater at 8 - the computer and LPH say 7, so you should have no beef here with YHH. Hermantown went bye bye likely do to a loss to St. Michael which was not a ranked team, and it appears they have yet to play anyone in the top? This listing seems to be the best of the bunch IMO.
offside14

Post by offside14 »

I'm just saying STMA just creeped into the top 10 after winning the Stillwater tourney, beating Hermantown and beating OMG earlier this year. Hermantown has one loss this year and has pounded on some teams from the cities Lakeville North for example 7-3 was the final. Pretty similar score if one of the big boys were playing LVN. What has Stillwater done to deserve this spot? Centennial recovered nicely after taking one on the chin from Woodbury by beating Prior Lake. By the way STMA tied Centennial in there only meeting this year. I just don't seem to get these rankings, not taking anything away from these teams.
TheJet

Post by TheJet »

offside14 wrote:I'm just saying STMA just creeped into the top 10 after winning the Stillwater tourney, beating Hermantown and beating OMG earlier this year. Hermantown has one loss this year and has pounded on some teams from the cities Lakeville North for example 7-3 was the final. Pretty similar score if one of the big boys were playing LVN. What has Stillwater done to deserve this spot? Centennial recovered nicely after taking one on the chin from Woodbury by beating Prior Lake. By the way STMA tied Centennial in there only meeting this year. I just don't seem to get these rankings, not taking anything away from these teams.

STMA hasn't lost to a MN team since November. They won Stillwater and went 2nd last w/e up north. STMA recently beat Hermantown - so would you say STMA at least better than Hermantown? I would and thus there is no room in the top 10 for Hermantown this week. All the sites seem to have Stillwater 7 or 8, I have not seen them but I suspect they deserve the spot more so than Hermantown despite the Hermantown record. I have a problem when you say "way to much opinion/ego" with your prior post. If that is your opinion than you are saying that about all of the ranking systems. It is what it is, they will change, but there is no opinion/ego getting in the way in view of all the ranking systems being quite similar.
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

I think these rankings are the most accurate. Continue what you are doing these are great!
offside14

Post by offside14 »

No, I wouldn't say that at all. That would be like saying Centennial is better than Prior Lake just because they beat them once. Would you say STMA is better than OMG because they beat them once? You don't have 1 loss on the season because you are an average team. Hermantown deserves to be there. They have consistently beat everyone they have played in convincing fashion, then because they lose to STMA they lose their credibility.... That's hogwash. Stillwater didn't even earn the right to STMA in the championship in their own tourney yet they are still ranked 8th... Something foul in the state of Denmark I think.
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

offside14 wrote:No, I wouldn't say that at all. That would be like saying Centennial is better than Prior Lake just because they beat them once. Would you say STMA is better than OMG because they beat them once? You don't have 1 loss on the season because you are an average team. Hermantown deserves to be there. They have consistently beat everyone they have played in convincing fashion, then because they lose to STMA they lose their credibility.... That's hogwash. Stillwater didn't even earn the right to STMA in the championship in their own tourney yet they are still ranked 8th... Something foul in the state of Denmark I think.
Hey Hermantown - play somebody!
offside14

Post by offside14 »

Snyper, interesting response. Seems from your previous posts you have a part in this ranking system. You would think you might want to watch Hermantown play before passing such comments. I also think that your boys in the cities might be a little upset with you for the lack respect you have for their teams.... Enter LVN and STMA. Apparently they don't count as "Somebody". Have no fear I'm willing to bet the Hawks will keep working hard, and come regions they might get a chance to play "Somebody", mabye then finally they can be "Somebody" too.
BluntInstrument

Post by BluntInstrument »

offside14 wrote:Snyper, interesting response. Seems from your previous posts you have a part in this ranking system. You would think you might want to watch Hermantown play before passing such comments. I also think that your boys in the cities might be a little upset with you for the lack respect you have for their teams.... Enter LVN and STMA. Apparently they don't count as "Somebody". Have no fear I'm willing to bet the Hawks will keep working hard, and come regions they might get a chance to play "Somebody", mabye then finally they can be "Somebody" too.
I'm guessing offside14 is STMA guy and since they have played a lot of the top teams, including Hermantown, I would give his opinion creedance/weight. I have seen Hemrantown play and was impressed and agree with offside14, they will be heard from. Offside14 should be a ranker :)
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

offside14 wrote:Snyper, interesting response. Seems from your previous posts you have a part in this ranking system. You would think you might want to watch Hermantown play before passing such comments. I also think that your boys in the cities might be a little upset with you for the lack respect you have for their teams.... Enter LVN and STMA. Apparently they don't count as "Somebody". Have no fear I'm willing to bet the Hawks will keep working hard, and come regions they might get a chance to play "Somebody", mabye then finally they can be "Somebody" too.
No thanks - not going to travel 3 hours to watch a 12 year old hockey game my kid is not playing in, not many would. So me like most have to sometimes rely on scores/comparisons etc.. Boys in the cities like North are not living in a fantasy world that they are a top ten team. STMA has been on the bubble all year and earn the spot in view of Jefferson and Hermantown not showing well (as in top 10 like) last weekend. When I say somebody - meaning a legit top 10. Hawks likely won't need to work too hard to make it through regions, northern teams not top ten caliber. I am not arguing Hermantown is not a nice team - but until the schedule gets a little harder, to aquaint them based on their win totals alone is not right. Enter a cities tournament, come down and scrimmage, etc..
Snoopdog007

Post by Snoopdog007 »

offside14 wrote:I'm just saying STMA just creeped into the top 10 after winning the Stillwater tourney, beating Hermantown and beating OMG earlier this year. Hermantown has one loss this year and has pounded on some teams from the cities Lakeville North for example 7-3 was the final. Pretty similar score if one of the big boys were playing LVN. What has Stillwater done to deserve this spot? Centennial recovered nicely after taking one on the chin from Woodbury by beating Prior Lake. By the way STMA tied Centennial in there only meeting this year. I just don't seem to get these rankings, not taking anything away from these teams.
Rankings mean very little. These kids are 12-13 and go through peaks and valleys throughout the season. Who cares if a team is ranked 5th or 11th? It doesnt mean anything until March when they play for keeps. Ranking simply put a bullseye on your chest. STMA and Hermantown both have nice teams but there are many teams out there playing well. You referenced Stillwater. They have had some clunkers along the way but they have also beat Edina & EP, tied OMG twice, tied ER etc. Lets just enjoy the ride and not get caught up in the rankings to much. I enjoy your posts.
bigpuckguy21

Post by bigpuckguy21 »

Should be interesting to so how Hermantown does up in Roseau in a couple of weeks
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Don't know even where to start here. But here goes.

Hermantown/14: I suggest you become a ranker (see link below). We have 2 people from Hermantown who rank in our PWA category.

http://youthhockeyhub.com/youth-hockeyr ... t-ranking/

Why Not HT: Our rankings have very little to do with ego or zip code. They are a scientific formula of Strength of Schedule, Top 10 wins, and Popular Vote. Each level has at least 30 rankers, the PWA's have close to 50. HT has zero T10 wins, a weak schedule and did not do well by rankers last week once they lost to STMA.

Editorial Note: As an objective facilitator of the rankings, I love teams like Mound Westonka at U10A, St. Francis at SQB and HT at PWA. When they do well it stimulates interest in the rankings. Some levels are just chalk full of the Usual Suspects. Anyone can throw the Usual Suspects (Metro Teams) into a hat and get it mostly right. Our goal is to nail it at all 9 levels.

"Rankings don't matter": Snoop, ratings matter. We have 300+ rankers, our traffic triples the day the rankings come out, and threads like this get a huge number of views. Kids and parents at rinks come up to me and all the time and say, "why aren't we #1?" or "why aren't we in the YHH T10.

Hope this helps. Thanks to everyone who is a ranker on our site.

TS
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

Eat some crow today! LOL
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

How did your game vs a top 5 team go this morning? How did you matchup vs OMG?? :oops:
offside14

Post by offside14 »

Ouch, not a good game today for the hawks. That being said EP suffered the same fate to LVS so what does it mean? It means they are kids and day to day anything is possible, doesn't mean they aren't a very good team. Yes I will eat crow on this one. It also brings up another question why is there so many blow outs amongst the top 15 teams. The 1 or 2 goal game is almost obsolete! Anyone have any ideas?