Chaska

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Irish

Chaska

Post by Irish »

I noticed online that Holy Angels beat Chaska 11-0. What happened to Chaska hockey?
I realize that Chanhassen built a new high school two years ago, but Chaska/Chanhassen youth association is one of the biggest youth programs in the state. With that said they never seem to be competitive.

Any insight?
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

Are you a unhappy chaska parent? I think from your other posts it looks like you have a peewee age kid. Looking at the girls teams they are all doing good so are the pw b teams boys. I know a lot of 99 players as my son is that age. They are doing fine and need more time. If I'm right about who you are I bet you you're last name rymes with "POOL". Please help your association instead of critizing it.
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

Good young coaches at Chaska HS but its hard to field a competitive team when they lose half or more of their good players to Chan.
Irish

Post by Irish »

hockeygirl2 wrote:Are you a unhappy chaska parent? I think from your other posts it looks like you have a peewee age kid. Looking at the girls teams they are all doing good so are the pw b teams boys. I know a lot of 99 players as my son is that age. They are doing fine and need more time. If I'm right about who you are I bet you you're last name rymes with "POOL". Please help your association instead of critizing it.
Hockeygirl- Not trying to cause problems. I'm just wondering why Chaska is struggling with hockey? Chaska/Chanhassen has one of the larger youth associations in the state.
Irish

Post by Irish »

GTTN wrote:Good young coaches at Chaska HS but its hard to field a competitive team when they lose half or more of their good players to Chan.
I wish Chaska luck in the future. I would love to see both Chaska and Chanhassen compete with the best of them.
outdoorhockey

Post by outdoorhockey »

I was under the assumption that there was not open enrollment from Chaska to Chanhassen?
summer

Post by summer »

outdoorhockey wrote:I was under the assumption that there was not open enrollment from Chaska to Chanhassen?
Obviously most of the talent is on the east end of the district by Eden Prairie. Are some going to Holy Family too?
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

Chaska and Chann have a good core of guys but have a hard time keeping them around. Their best 95's left for EP and their top 96, Gersich is at HF. Chaska is much more committed to its basketball program as well. Chann is trying to test the waters with all their teams by moving up in class. Chaska's going the other way. Chann is having a good season though and could possibly give someone in 6AA a battle in the postseason. Down the road Chann could be a pretty good program, not so sure about Chaska though.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

eagles137 wrote:Chaska and Chann have a good core of guys but have a hard time keeping them around. Their best 95's left for EP and their top 96, Gersich is at HF. Chaska is much more committed to its basketball program as well. Chann is trying to test the waters with all their teams by moving up in class. Chaska's going the other way. Chann is having a good season though and could possibly give someone in 6AA a battle in the postseason. Down the road Chann could be a pretty good program, not so sure about Chaska though.
Best 95's. Plural? That is a stretch! Chanhassen is not testing the waters in AA, their enrollment dictates that. The last time I checked they are in section 2AA
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

Dusty wrote:
eagles137 wrote:Chaska and Chann have a good core of guys but have a hard time keeping them around. Their best 95's left for EP and their top 96, Gersich is at HF. Chaska is much more committed to its basketball program as well. Chann is trying to test the waters with all their teams by moving up in class. Chaska's going the other way. Chann is having a good season though and could possibly give someone in 6AA a battle in the postseason. Down the road Chann could be a pretty good program, not so sure about Chaska though.
Best 95's. Plural? That is a stretch! Chanhassen is not testing the waters in AA, their enrollment dictates that. The last time I checked they are in section 2AA
My apologies on the wrong section. Look at Chann compared to Chaska in all sports, They have almost the same enrollment. Chann is 5A football, 3A baseball, 2A hockey, 4A basketball. Chaska is 4A football, 3A basketball, 1A hockey. Chann has put themselves into more competitive classes and sections while Chaska has moved down in class in most sports since the split. Chann is having a good season so far at 12-2. Most of the hockey players in the in the two cities end up going to Chann since they know thats where the better competition and chance for success is. And yes the two best 95's plural transferred to EP Sullivan and Snuggerud.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

The split was not kind to Chaska. Chan's enrollment is 341 more than Chaska according to MSHSL website. Chan's enrollment is 1383, while Chaska's is 1042. That is the reason the teams are not in the same class in many sports.

I would guess the plan was to make the two schools more equal in size, but in the five years or so since the decision was made to build a new high school and the attendance areas were determined, the housing bubble burst an slowed growth in the district.
Murray Chadwick

Post by Murray Chadwick »

hockeygirl2 wrote:Are you a unhappy chaska parent? I think from your other posts it looks like you have a peewee age kid. Looking at the girls teams they are all doing good so are the pw b teams boys. I know a lot of 99 players as my son is that age. They are doing fine and need more time. If I'm right about who you are I bet you you're last name rymes with "POOL". Please help your association instead of critizing it.
Wow, talk about an overreaction. What did Irish say that was so egregious? Does it warrant outing his name and putting him on blast? He simply pointed out that Chaska is not as competitive as they used to be and judging by the scores it is hard to argue with him. It seems more like commentary than criticism.
stormintherink

Chaska

Post by stormintherink »

You might get an argument that Chanhassen lost top 95 players. Wilkinson and Gmiterko are very nice players. This association has done a good job developing players. They don't always stay in public schools, but a winning program might change that.
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

They do have some young talent around still which might pave away for the future. But if they kept all the kids that played their younger years for chaska/chann then they might be up there in a season or two. As far for the extra enrollment the way the boundaries were created would make sense for Chann to have a couple hundred more students. If you live in the city of Chaska then you go to Chaska. If you live in Chann, Victoria, or East Carver your supposed to be going to Chann. Chanhasen serves 3 towns, there isn't a ton of kids coming out from that way but they have enough for a slight advantage in enrollment.