Minnesota Hockey Rules Changes - Effective 25 January 2012

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Air Force 1

Minnesota Hockey Rules Changes - Effective 25 January 2012

Post by Air Force 1 »

From the Minnesota Hockey meetings over the weekend:

Effective Wednesday January 25, 2012 the following penalties will be changed:

Checking from behind will be a major plus a misconduct or 5 & 10

Boarding will be a major - 5 minutes.
seek & destroy

Re: Minnesota Hockey Rules Changes - Effective 25 January 20

Post by seek & destroy »

Air Force 1 wrote:From the Minnesota Hockey meetings over the weekend:

Not surprising. Luckily it doesn't effect many players because they don't allow kids to learn checking in game situations until they are nearly in high school now.

The STOP sign, HEP points, banning checking at PW's and yet during the last month many have said high school is gotten more dangerous than ever. Their solutions don't seem to work but I would guess they won't consider that; they'll blame the refs, coaches and lack of education - can anyone say "another new mandatory module" to pay for.
skills_coach1

Post by skills_coach1 »

What about the automatic bench for coaches who argue with the call?
The STOP sign, HEP points, banning checking at PW's and yet during the last month many have said high school is gotten more dangerous than ever. Their solutions don't seem to work but I would guess they won't consider that; they'll blame the refs, coaches and lack of education - can anyone say "another new mandatory module" to pay for.
WOW! Really???? So I suppose you think speed limits are stupid too?? :roll: Change is always difficult to deal with.... Let's move on here... Just sayin.. :shock: Think about the potential emphasis on special teams play now..... :D

I'd rather try and be positive about the changes.... It will be awkward (as with many changes) early on, and refs, players and coaches will all settle into it... Just a part of life man...
Kyndrachuk

Just saw this, here's the offical release

Post by Kyndrachuk »

MNHockey is really stepping it up...following suit with MSHL

The official release from MNHockey

http://youthhockeyhub.com/breaking-news ... om-behind/
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Minnesota Hockey Announces Rule Changes
Penalty for Boarding and Checking-From-Behind Increases

(ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA – January 23, 2012) -- The Minnesota Hockey Board of Directors voted unanimously at its winter board meeting to strengthen the severity of the penalty issued to players who are cited for boarding and checking-from-behind infractions. These rule changes are being adopted on a pilot basis and will be reevaluated at the conclusion of the 2012 Minnesota Hockey season. Minnesota Hockey will continue to work with the hockey community to evaluate the effectiveness of these changes.
“Player safety is and always will be the highest priority of Minnesota Hockey,” said Dave Margenau, President of Minnesota Hockey. “However, as important as the rule change is, it is equally vital that the culture of hockey change to eliminate the intimidation and illegal hits. Officials must call all illegal play and their calls must be supported by coaches, parents and players.”
Effective Wednesday, January 25, 2012, the penalty for boarding and checking-from-behind will be a five (5) minute major penalty. This will cover all Minnesota Hockey sanctioned games played until July 31, 2012; after this time, the changes will be reviewed by the Minnesota Hockey Board of Directors.
Minnesota Hockey will work with its local community associations, coaches, and referees to ensure other existing rules continue to be enforced and that the rule changes will be enforced with zero tolerance. Additionally, Minnesota Hockey will continue to provide ongoing education regarding proper hockey techniques, rules and regulations.
“Referees for the youth games take their role of ensuring safe and fair play seriously,” said Eric Olson, Minnesota Hockey Referee in Chief. “These rule changes will be called with zero tolerance.”
As the governing body of youth and amateur hockey in the state, Minnesota Hockey has been a national leader in creating safety initiatives for youth hockey. In 2004 Minnesota Hockey, in collaboration with the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center, introduced the Hockey Education Program (HEP). The objective of HEP is to provide a safe and positive hockey experience by teaching hockey skills, educating parents and coaches and creating accountability through Fair Play. Fair Play is a program that awards teams who play within the rules and respect their opponents with a league standings Fair Play point for each game, win or lose.
Minnesota Hockey coaches have and will continue to teach skills and techniques to ensure as safe of a playing environment as possible. Through the mandatory USA Hockey Coaching Education Program, clinics and materials provided by Minnesota Hockey, coaches are provided the training to accomplish the goal of player development. Included in the training is a progressive approach to teaching body contact and checking. More information about these programs is available at www.usahockey.com. and www.minnesotahockey.org
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

seek & destroy wrote:

Not surprising. Luckily it doesn't effect many players because they don't allow kids to learn checking in game situations until they are nearly in high school now.

A board member said something very similar at the committee meeting on Friday night.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

We understand that ramping things up is not a cure all, but we felt we needed to send a message to players, coaches, officials, fans that CFB is dnagerous and needs to be on every persons mind.

A further study to determine if ANYTHING can be done to minimize the risk is in process.

Jablonski family is asking for things to be done. Perhaps we should listen and try.

Suggestions are welcome.
McLuvin

Post by McLuvin »

I am surprised that they did not address the 5 penalty rule before game ejection. Seems to me they would want to remove the repeat offenders... maybe even tailor it to the player prone to boarding, roughing , or elbowing penalties. Of course, the coach can always do this on their own without being told to do so, but that would take courage and willingness to deal with non-rational parents.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

seek & destroy wrote:

How has the HS game gotten more dangerous? Is this taken from a two game sample? In the games I've watched - granted only 5 or so, the kids have clealy gotten the message. I've seen no evidence of increased dangerours play, quite the contrary.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

McLuvin wrote:I am surprised that they did not address the 5 penalty rule before game ejection. Seems to me they would want to remove the repeat offenders... maybe even tailor it to the player prone to boarding, roughing , or elbowing penalties. Of course, the coach can always do this on their own without being told to do so, but that would take courage and willingness to deal with non-rational parents.
Tough to do when the coach is their dad! :D
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
McLuvin wrote:I am surprised that they did not address the 5 penalty rule before game ejection. Seems to me they would want to remove the repeat offenders... maybe even tailor it to the player prone to boarding, roughing , or elbowing penalties. Of course, the coach can always do this on their own without being told to do so, but that would take courage and willingness to deal with non-rational parents.
Question...What will happen to the 2 and a 10? If I was the opposing coach, I would want a 5 min. not a 2 min. What will be the determining factor if a player receives a 2-10 or 5 min.?
The Next One

Post by The Next One »

How about 3 penalties and player is gone? 8 on one team coach is gone? 5 and 15 are way too many in my opinion.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Several districts monitor penalties and will discipline players/coaches or at least have a discussion regarding the penalties beign taken.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Defensive Zone wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:
Question...What will happen to the 2 and a 10? If I was the opposing coach, I would want a 5 min. not a 2 min. What will be the determining factor if a player receives a 2-10 or 5 min.?
The 2 and 10 is gone/no longer an option..
CFB is now a major and a misconduct (5 & 10).
Refs have discretion to make it a 5 & 10 and game DQ.
hockey59

Boarding definition according to NHL rules

Post by hockey59 »

I think some people (including myself) sometimes misunderstand (or simply forget) what the boarding penalty actually represents - hitting what is termed a "defenseless opponent" into the boards is the key element within the definition. FYI - Here is the definition according to the NHL rulebook:

Rule 41 - Boarding

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize the contact. However, in determining wheter such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player hitting or impacting the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

elliott70 wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote: Tough to do when the coach is their dad! :D
The 2 and 10 is gone/no longer an option..
CFB is now a major and a misconduct (5 & 10).
Refs have discretion to make it a 5 & 10 and game DQ.
Got it. Thanks
Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez »

Is the "head contact" penalty still a 2:00?
defense

Post by defense »

How many checking from behind and boarding calls are made???
I played a few years ago now, but not that long ago, and back then there wasn't even one check from behind or boarding call per game. Maybe it has gotten worse.
I think this is all good. I don't think that there is any arguing that the root of the problem is more than one thing. In my opinion: Equipment is so good now that players are as fearless as ever(both the one giving and recieving a hit). The culture, weather anyone admitts it or not leans incredibly toward intimidation checking, which is made worse by the first point. And finally off the top of my head is that players are stronger and faster. None of the issues outlined here is easily or even possible to overcome. Two of them probably shouldn't be adressed at all.
It's a tough situation but fixing it has to start somewhere.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

elliott70 wrote:We understand that ramping things up is not a cure all, but we felt we needed to send a message to players, coaches, officials, fans that CFB is dnagerous and needs to be on every persons mind.

A further study to determine if ANYTHING can be done to minimize the risk is in process.

Jablonski family is asking for things to be done. Perhaps we should listen and try.

Suggestions are welcome.
Well stated. And atleast they/we/MN Hockey are trying something. Maybe these new changes will be a failure, and something else will be twirked. Or maybe (gasp) these will be a move in the right direction and we'll see less CFB and dangerous hits. Lets see how it goes. And if a ref errors on the side of caution, too bad....cut him some slack during this time of transition, I'm sure these new rules & interpretations will take some time to perfect.
seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
seek & destroy wrote:

How has the HS game gotten more dangerous? Is this taken from a two game sample? In the games I've watched - granted only 5 or so, the kids have clealy gotten the message. I've seen no evidence of increased dangerours play, quite the contrary.
I'm just sayin that people have been talking about how 'dangerous' the game has become (prior to the rule change) and yet, all these rules have been in place in youth hockey to reduce the danger. Is the HEP system really working? Is the STOP patch really worthwhile? Minnesota Hockey has been doing things and the game (according to many) has become more dangerous at H.S. level. There are times when Minnesota Hockey comes up with stuff that maybe should be reviewed/removed because it has proven to not be working...but like most things, it is always harder to remove them than add them. That is the reason that I think more time needed to pass before we changed the existing system.

Elliot - I am glad to see that they plan to use this as a 'pilot' program and review this at the end of the season. That at least is a step in the right direction but my guess is there is no way that they will remove it.

I, for one, think that we need to continue to get the message out of the danger of these types of checks but I still feel that the existing rules provided plenty for us to work with. Mandating a more harsh penalty was not needed. Better communication, awareness of the dangers, encouragement of proper enforcement by the refs and time would have probably taken care of things. This tragedy has sent a shock wave through the hockey community and everyone is more alert to the dangers and therefore more accepting of more enforecment by the refs.

I fully support punishing individual players (i.e. they miss a game or more) in addition to the 2 and 10 for the worst of these infractions. I'm just not buying into the 5 minute major that is being used. We are making the game of youth hockey into more special team play which doesn't allow as many players to get as much experience in the games. That is punishing the rest of the bench for the stupid hit made by a player on the ice.
hockeyfan74

Post by hockeyfan74 »

First I want to make it very clear I agree 100% with cleaning up the game. However in my 30 plus years of coaching and playing I don't think I have come across but a handful of players and or coaches that their intent is to go out an hurt another player intentionally. Yes we need to make sure those individuals are dealt with. My concern is we are going to hurt the game of hockey with some of these rule changes. Players are going to play scared and be a lot less aggressive.

In my experience I see two plays that happen quite often. The first one is when you have two players racing for a puck - there may be a little jostling for position- not a penalty - called a 50/50 both players have a right to the puck. Then one player catches or loses an edge and crashes head first into the boards. It looks really bad from the stands, but in my opinion the opposing player did nothing wrong and it is not a dirty play. That player would have to sit for a minimum of 5 minutes for nothing.

The second offense I see quite often is players making quick escape moves to avoid opposing players. They are taught to escape toward the boards so you can protect the puck. If you are an opposing player and you have the puck carrier lined up perfectly and you already commit to a good clean hit then suddenly the puck carrier does that quick escape move that becomes a check from behind. Once again in my opinion the player that is making the hit did nothing wrong but will have to sit out 5 minutes and maybe longer depending on the ref's call.

I compare hockey to watching a movie in that the fans are watching the game in slow motion - the coaches and ref's see the game at regular speed and the players see it in fast forward. The game unfolds so clearly from the stands - however from a players perspective it is way faster. They really only have a split second in most cases to make their decision. That is why they may not see the open player that everyone in the stands did or why they may not be able to hold back on their check when a player makes that quick escape move.

I think what happened to Jack Jablonksi is a tragedy and I have prayed for him every night. I do feel the hockey community may have reacted to quick to a tragic event. We should really make sure the changes are for the better. In my opinion if we wanted to make a positive impact on hockey we should make every squirt and pee-wee attend mandatory checking clinics. We know that most coaches won't teach if if they can't use it. So lets make it mandatory that associations host checking clinics and each squirt and pee-wee must attend x number of checking clinics. Teach kids how to angle - the purpose of a check is to separate the opposing player from the puck not separate his head from his shoulders - how to be prepared to receive a hit - never put your head down - don't ever go straight at the boards - always go at an angle so if you do lose an edge you are not going head first into the boards. Besides if you go straight at the boards you have to slow down to get the puck vs. taking an angle so you can pick up the puck with speed. I really believe the solution lies in teaching the players the right way to hit and how to be prepared to take a hit. I believe it should start with the more experienced mites learning how to angle and go through the hands - then at squirts you can get a little more detailed with your training. Then allow them to hit a pee-wees when they are smaller and they can apply what they have learned - also keep having them attend the clinics so you can reinforce what they have been taught and are using. Then by Bantams when you have 2nd year bantams that are through puberty and lifting weights and first year bantams on the ice together the first years have a chance because they have been taught for 4 plus years and had 2 years of using what they were taught. I want the players to be protected as much as anyone and I think one thing we can all agree on is we love the sport of hockey and we want it to be as fun / competitive / safe as possible.

I brought these points up to our association last night - They seemed pretty receptive to the checking clinics. I really hope we follow through on the idea. Everyone has their opinions and because we are dealing with this after a tragedy emotions are high. I know we all have agreed on some things and disagreed on others, but let's not bash each other instead let's try to work together as a hockey community to protect the game we all love. I stated multiple times these are only my opinions based of my experiences. If you agree great if you don't great - let me / us know your thoughts in a constructive manner.
rudy

strib story

Post by rudy »

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Diving to try to get this 5 minute major called on the other team must be dealt with now. Coaches WILL be teaching players how to make any contact appear CFB. "Diving" needs to be a 5 minute major for unsportsmanlike conduct. IT is already happening at the HS level and that behaviour needs to be corrected. Apparently increasing penalty time is what changes the behaviou. Or at least raises awareness.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

AND, since MN Hockey has now taken the USA Hockey Playing Rules into their own hands. MN Hockey MUST mandate a minimum of 2 referees on the ice for EVERY game. A linesman or 2 can be added. But TWO REFEREES must be on the ice for every game!
woodley

Post by woodley »

elliott70 wrote:We understand that ramping things up is not a cure all, but we felt we needed to send a message to players, coaches, officials, fans that CFB is dnagerous and needs to be on every persons mind.

Suggestions are welcome.
Here's a suggestion. . . .quit making knee jerk reactions to a single situation!!!! I'm presuming that Minnesota Hockey had exactly the same data the MSHSL had when they made their reaction. . . NONE!!!

I would appreciate if you could tell us all what studies have been done comparing injuries to penalties. We spent months (years?) examining whether checking should be banned at PeeWees. People chose to disagree, but it was a major change and was approached as such. This is another major change, what calculated process was followed?

Also, please elaborate, I believe the refs are certified by USA Hockey. Have they approved this change?