D-1 Talent = State Title?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez »

The number #1 ingredient of the recipe for a State title is....

A goalie that is real good (d1)or he is standing on his head for 3 games.

BTW:
Roseau's last 3 State Championship teams have had a D1 goalie in net.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

mnmouth wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
mnmouth wrote: Throw in Ian Petersen, Toby's brother, and Joe Bianchi.

Ben Clymer was a freshman in 93, am almost positive he played bantams that yr. Toby was an 8th grader in 93. He did play bantams that yr. Also, Ian Peterson and Joey Bianchi never played in the NHL.
The original post did not ask if any player made the NHL. To paraphrase, it was whether a team ever won state without a D-I player.
I realize that. Someone posted a few before you asking what is the most NHL'rs a state championship team has ever produced...I thought you were replying to that. My bad.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Benito Juarez wrote:The number #1 ingredient of the recipe for a State title is....

BTW:
Benito-Brandt was the goalie on the 99 team, Lee on the 07 team, who was the goalie on the 90 team? Btw, how many guys ended up playing d-1 on the 99 state champs? They were tough! Completely dismantled Hastings in the championship game.
Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez »

Sats81 wrote:
Benito Juarez wrote:The number #1 ingredient of the recipe for a State title is....

BTW:
Benito-Brandt was the goalie on the 99 team, Lee on the 07 team, who was the goalie on the 90 team? .
Jerome Butler UMD
Last edited by Benito Juarez on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

BTW wrote:BTW: None of the 2008 Pioneers received any D-1 offers until after State, Ted Brill, and Juniors.
I think Tech was in touch with Sova before they won State; however, I could be mistaken.

8)
The Puck
LGW
gitter

Post by gitter »

BTW wrote:Lee and the D-1, #1 ranked and seeded, undefeated Rams allowed a team with ZERO (0) D-1 offers to fire six (6) goals into the Roseau net during the 2008 semifinals.

BTW: None of the 2008 Pioneers received any D-1 offers until after State, Ted Brill, and Juniors.
Doesn't matter - the original poster asked about players that went on to play D1 after high school. Whether they committed before or not, they played D1 and were a huge reason for the state title.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:I think BTW may be delusional.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
He doesn't get it. The question wasn't whether the team with 5 D1 players always beats the team with 2 D1 players for the state title.
Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 »

Look the bottom line is: High school hockey is played with two lines. there are exceptions to this rule but the fact is two lines play a majority of playoff games. And therefore if you don't have ***future/current*** D-1 talent on your team, it makes things very difficult when you face teams with 2-3 guys that can take over the game and play as much as they do in HS hockey.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

gitter wrote:The question wasn't whether the team with 5 D1 players always beats the team with 2 D1 players for the state title.
Correct.

What team won a State Title with no future D-1 players on the roster.

We've had some close encounters; however, there has to be at least one!

8)
The Puck
LGW
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

DubCHAGuy wrote:
BTW wrote:Lee and the D-1, #1 ranked and seeded, undefeated Rams allowed a team with ZERO (0) D-1 offers to fire six (6) goals into the Roseau net during the 2008 semifinals.

BTW: None of the 2008 Pioneers received any D-1 offers until after State, Ted Brill, and Juniors.
I'll give you the 2008 Rams as a "superteam" that lost, however most of those other years were mild upsets at best. In both 2009 & 2011 EP was #1 most of the year and #1 in 6AA and the state tournament. 2010 Tonka/Edina was #1/#2 and Edina had already beaten them during the year.
EP was #2 most of the year in 09 (Edina was #1, and went down in the state quarterfinals; others also plugged Jefferson), but still, I agree with the point here: a lot of these upsets weren't massive. Even with '08 Roseau, their schedule was pretty weak and more than a few people thought they might go down at State.

The only huge upset of a #1 in the past few years was Edina going down in '09, IMO. Plus the Holy Angels teams that lost in the middle of this past decade. Last year's upset of Hill was big only because of who beat them--they were a nice team, but not among the more dominant #1s we've had in the past decade.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

karl(east) wrote:Last year's upset of Hill was big only because of who beat them--they were a nice team, but not among the more dominant #1s we've had in the past decade.
FYI, you ranked them #1 for a few weeks, Karl. :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

PuckU126 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Last year's upset of Hill was big only because of who beat them--they were a nice team, but not among the more dominant #1s we've had in the past decade.
FYI, you ranked them #1 for a few weeks, Karl. :lol:

8)
I know. But as I said at the time, it was mostly because I thought they were a well-built, well-coached team that was on a roll. It wasn't because they had an overwhelming amount of talent, or at least not compared to #1s in other recent years.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Sats81 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:I think he was a junior in '76.
Very good high school player.
Played for Notre Dame after that.
Did he have pretty good size in HS? I heard he was an All-State LB in football too?
I would say he was average as far as size is concerned. Not small by any means, but not a giant either.
He had the 3 most important qualities in an athlete- smart, hard worker, and he truly enjoyed competing.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

Elk River 2000/2001, Centennial 2004, Warroad (class A) 2005, possibly Roseau 2008 or EP of 2011 are a few of the teams that I remember being clearly #1 teams in their respective years. Some won it all, some didn't.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

gitter wrote:D1 Talent = State Title. It's a fact. 3 pages and no one has found a team that didn't have a player move on to the next level.
I didn't see anybody disprove Totino-Grace 2002, or are we just talking about AA?
gitter

Post by gitter »

I have been focused on AA/Tier 1/Single class - I don't follow A enough to really know the players.

But even if it is, 1 team out of the history of the tournament suggests that it is VERY unlikely a team will win a championship without players that will play at the next level.
2good4u

Post by 2good4u »

goalies...
hmmm not sure if they won but carl gohring apple valley (north dakota), i think kyle kolquist duluth east (notre dame), nate hardy hermantown (st. cloud), lee roseau (st. Cloud), not sure but what about john casey grand rapids...