Classless Hockey Players

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey4ever

Classless Hockey Players

Post by hockey4ever »

I saw comments about a BSM player and his actions in a game against Wayzata this week after scoring a goal. Some of the comments referred to the player as the most classless player they have ever seen. I don't know the player at all but you don't have to go far to find similar behavior at pretty much any level.

A couple of examples:

1 in a bantam regional game last year an Edina player scores a big goal late in a key game for the win. He and his buddies immediately skate to the opposing bench, rest with their backs to the opposing team to celebrate.

2 if you haven't seen it, go to tsn.ca and see how a group of Russian players celebrate winning the bronze medal game in OT against Canada today in the WJC. I am surprised it didn't end in a bench clearing brawl.

My point is this crap happens at all levels all the time, and its a wonder it doesn't lead to more fights and kids getting hurt. Maybe hockey should follow the NFL's lead in penalizing players for excessive celebration, or maybe coaches should step up and not accept it from their players.

Whatever happened to the good old days when a player scored a goal, celebrated with their team, and then lined up for the face off?
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

Couple things,

It's PART OF THE GAME!
This stuff will always happen, and outside of checking from behind, there is nothing wrong with hacking a little bit. When refs see it they usually call it and the player gets their punishment. But to whine about some hacks is ludicrous. LIVE WITH IT

As far as celebrations go look no further than Edina to see a couple superstars showboating. It happens everywhere. Every team has guys that over do it. I definitely think it should be more of a team thing. The jumping into the student section then some look at me antics gets a little old...
The best, period
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Individual celebrations have gotten out of hand over the last few years and it has taken away some of the "team" aspect of the game. Players think they deserve "look at me, that goal was all me." As for the hacking, I hate spearing and cheap stuff but if it's "clean" chops and slashes, it's part of the game. Look at the NHL 30 years ago, do you think they called all of the slashes, definitely not.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Penalizing celebrations, showboating, and the like is a silly idea. You can't legislate class into people. 'Class' is a manner of acting and playing that has to originate on a personal level. You can't force it with rules. If you force everyone into 'classy' celebrations, you dis-enable the ability to separate the truly classy players from the totally classless ones, for example, which other players, coaches, and scouts take into account when judging someone.

People should have the right / ability to be classless.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

I think it's a matter of perspective. Who wouldn't want a player who can frustrate opponents without getting penalties? Blame the refs if you want - its not like golf where you're expected to call a penalty on yourself.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Hockeyfan893 -

I think I can speak for a lot of people right now...Huh?

Everyone just got dumber for reading your post.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Tiger33 -

Thank you for your well thought out, beautifully verbose, and reasonable response to my post.
hockeypub

Post by hockeypub »

So why is it that MN high school football, lacrosse, soccer, etc. prohibits individual celebrations after scoring to the point of penalizing even the slightest individual celly, but in hockey it's total fine to showboat and taunt the other team?
green4

Re: Classless Hockey Players

Post by green4 »

hockey4ever wrote:I saw comments about a BSM player and his actions in a game against Wayzata this week after scoring a goal. Some of the comments referred to the player as the most classless player they have ever seen. I don't know the player at all but you don't have to go far to find similar behavior at pretty much any level.

A couple of examples:

1 in a bantam regional game last year an Edina player scores a big goal late in a key game for the win. He and his buddies immediately skate to the opposing bench, rest with their backs to the opposing team to celebrate.

2 if you haven't seen it, go to tsn.ca and see how a group of Russian players celebrate winning the bronze medal game in OT against Canada today in the WJC. I am surprised it didn't end in a bench clearing brawl.

My point is this crap happens at all levels all the time, and its a wonder it doesn't lead to more fights and kids getting hurt. Maybe hockey should follow the NFL's lead in penalizing players for excessive celebration, or maybe coaches should step up and not accept it from their players.

Whatever happened to the good old days when a player scored a goal, celebrated with their team, and then lined up for the face off?
I did exactly what you told me to. i went to the website watched the highlights and all i saw for the celebration was a team pilling on to the player who scored a overtime goal for a medal... if that gets you so upset that you want to start a bench clearing brawl, hockey is probably not your sport, as for your other example you say its a big goal in regionals so winning is very important to these kids at this point of the season so scoring an important goal should be celebrated. Maybe sometimes its a little childish but these are teenagers, calling them classless for getting excited?? that is ridiculous
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

Check again. There is a video clip of the Russian players skating by the Canadian bench, taunting them after scoring the winning goal. I have no problem with a team celebrating a win, I do have a problem with how some of the Russians taunted the Canadians.
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

Also to your point about the bantam game I mentioned. Again I have no problem with any team celebrating a big goal or win. But to skate directly to your opponent's bench and celebrate in front of them is classless, at any age or level!
Whopper2

Post by Whopper2 »

The reason they think celebrating is bad is because their. kids. never have anything. to celebrate.If you can't take heat stay away from the fire
DKS1962

Post by DKS1962 »

Coaching and parenting. What does the coach allow and what does the parent allow.
I have done both and would not allow that behavior from my son nor any of the players I have coached.
Comes down to what is acceptable and what is wrong.

Here alone on this thread you have different opinions on what's ok and what's wrong
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

If you don't like celebrating in hockey than you should find another sport. Its part of the game at every level all the way from mites to pros. If players score a big goal it should fun and exciting. The great thing about hockey is if you are going to taunt or be cheap the other team has a chance to take care of things on the ice.
green4

Post by green4 »

hockey4ever wrote:Also to your point about the bantam game I mentioned. Again I have no problem with any team celebrating a big goal or win. But to skate directly to your opponent's bench and celebrate in front of them is classless, at any age or level!
again i might (and thats a big might) call this childish but its a part of the game, they scored let them do what they want, if they score they get to celebrate but it is under no circumstances classless... classless is a very harsh term especially if your using it kids in 8th or 9th grade they are 14 years old there is no need to call them classless for getting excited.
Logiiii

Post by Logiiii »

I'll just let this be an example:
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32770

I might be crazy, but I don't think that an effort like this in a game that isn't close deserves that type of celebration.

If you're gonna drag your mitts on the ice, at least get some speed before doing it.
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

As I said earlier I have no problem with a team celebrating a big goal or win. What I don't like is when it is purposely done in a manner to taunt the other team. But hey, that's me and how I was raised and coached, and how I have tried to teach my kids to compete.

You might be right and classless is probably too strong a term. Unsportsmanlike is maybe more appropriate.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Much of the things that these students do is classless. At the end of the day, the fact that it continues is a reflection of the coaching. Many coaches simply don't allow certain behaviors...
minnscout wrote:If you don't like celebrating in hockey than you should find another sport. Its part of the game at every level all the way from mites to pros. If players score a big goal it should fun and exciting. The great thing about hockey is if you are going to taunt or be cheap the other team has a chance to take care of things on the ice.
It is "part of the game at every level all the way...to the pros" in just about every team sport...
hockeypub wrote:So why is it that MN high school football, lacrosse, soccer, etc. prohibits individual celebrations after scoring to the point of penalizing even the slightest individual celly, but in hockey it's total fine to showboat and taunt the other team?
Good question.
trev2k1

Post by trev2k1 »

the first round consolation game between rochester lourdes vs. new ulm last season. final score was 10-1 lourdes. after every goal lourdes performed the (mite) celly, two handed stick over head. clearly thought out and planned. I was happy to see little falls stick it to them the next game after that
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

minnscout wrote:If you don't like celebrating in hockey than you should find another sport. Its part of the game at every level all the way from mites to pros. If players score a big goal it should fun and exciting. The great thing about hockey is if you are going to taunt or be cheap the other team has a chance to take care of things on the ice.
Personally I am ok with celebrating, it is excessive celebrations that people have talked about that I can't deal with.
wildspartan

Post by wildspartan »

Wowser, bitter old washed-up guys much? Why do you give a darn that 15 or 16 or 17 or 18 year old boys like to do the fun cellies that they see their heroes do in the all-star shoot outs? Seriously, dudes, let the kids have fun!
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

wildspartan wrote:Wowser, bitter old washed-up guys much? Why do you give a darn that 15 or 16 or 17 or 18 year old boys like to do the fun cellies that they see their heroes do in the all-star shoot outs? Seriously, dudes, let the kids have fun!
Consistency.

I could honestly care less. Many times people are so happy they scored. Regardless of opponent, a goal's a goal, kids are happy to score them.
Taunting is stupid, but it makes no sense to taunt a bad opponent and if you taunt a good opponent, generally that gets handled on the ice.

The only thing I don't like is that, as has been pointed out, it is against the rules in other sports. If you do it in football, you can get a penalty, for example. Why is it not okay in those other sports but okay in hockey?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Logiiii wrote:I'll just let this be an example:

I might be crazy, but I don't think that an effort like this in a game that isn't close deserves that type of celebration.

If you're gonna drag your mitts on the ice, at least get some speed before doing it.
Did you ever see Bill Goldsworthy?
wildspartan

Post by wildspartan »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
wildspartan wrote:Wowser, bitter old washed-up guys much? Why do you give a darn that 15 or 16 or 17 or 18 year old boys like to do the fun cellies that they see their heroes do in the all-star shoot outs? Seriously, dudes, let the kids have fun!
Consistency.

I could honestly care less. Many times people are so happy they scored. Regardless of opponent, a goal's a goal, kids are happy to score them.
Taunting is stupid, but it makes no sense to taunt a bad opponent and if you taunt a good opponent, generally that gets handled on the ice.

The only thing I don't like is that, as has been pointed out, it is against the rules in other sports. If you do it in football, you can get a penalty, for example. Why is it not okay in those other sports but okay in hockey?
So because other sports don't let kids have fun, we shouldn't let them have fun in hockey? They don't let them use sticks in football or basketball either -- maybe we should eliminate those in hockey too! :)
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

BodyShots wrote:
Logiiii wrote:I'll just let this be an example:

Did you ever see Bill Goldsworthy?
The Goldy shuffle was the best.

For each instance on the ice someone doesn't appreciate, there are 10 more from the people watching each game. Just one of those things that isn't gonna change..
Last edited by inthestands on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.