Section 1A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Roy01

Re: Lourdes vs Mankato west

Post by Roy01 »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote: I tell you what I would love to see a rematch in late February.
Well grandmeadow, considering how everything has settled out thus far we will very likely see this game again at the Rec once more - pending how West finishes out the rest of the Big 9 play and where it seeds them. Could be either the Semi's or the Finals.

Also, great insight on the game from OU812, clutterbuck, and grandmeadow. Thank you for that.

Lastly, RESULTS FOR 1/8

Northfield over Farmington: 2-1
Albert Lea over Winona: 6-1
Mankato East over St. Paul Highland Park: 10-2
Austin over Waseca: 11-0
Chanhassen over Red Wing: 4-2 (Red Wing still looking for it's first win of the season...) :oops:
La Crescent over Viroqua (WI): 4-3 OT

New Prague vs. Holy Angels and Lourdes vs. Mankato West scores listed in earlier posts.
Barry_Melrose

Post by Barry_Melrose »

I was at the game last night, tale of two games for both teams. West starts off exactly how you want to with a goal in the first 10 seconds. Gets a lucky break with the Lourdes goalie mishandling one behind the net. 2-0 west after 1.
Frentz hurts ribs doesn't come out for the second on Lourdes comes out flying. The much better team in the second and west has no answer for their speed.
Third period was a much more even period, both teams had their chances but no one capitalized. Both goalies made some nice saves and gave their teams a chance to win.

Final thoughts about each team...

West-clearly missed frentz for the last two periods. Top line good with some good depth but not a lot of scoring punch after top unit. Most vulnerable when getting pressure on their defense. They tend to throw the puck around and get trapped in their own end.

Lourdes-first line is very good. Lots of speed, these guys can score any shift. However stop that first line and they might have a tough time getting a goal that game. Have some other nice players, but based on last night no one up to the caliber of samuelson and funk. Similar to West you get pressure on their D and good things will happen.

Two very good teams here and I hope to see a rematch between these guys at the end of the year!
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

RESULTS FOR 1/10

Holy Angels over Northfield: 6-5
Albert Lea over Rochester Century: 2-1
LSP over Waseca: 6-0
Mankato West over Mankato East: 6-2
Rochester Lourdes over New Ulm: 7-3
West Salem (WI) over La Crescent: 10-3
Winona over Austin: 4-2
hockeyking

Holy Angles and Norhtfield game

Post by hockeyking »

I had a chance to take in the HA and Northfield game last night. Northfield had a bad 1st period their goalie struggled with some easy shots and their sophmore defense had to adjust to the HA speed. Northfield's forward lines did not do a good job of backchecking or forechecking HA in the first periord.

HA team had a deeper bench then Northfield, as it is year after year.

2nd period was a draw and the 3rd period Northfield took over the game but just ran out of time.

What I took out of the game was that Northfield's Junior defensemen (VonRuden) is the leader of the team. He is extremely talented from providing a physical checking presence, speed, passing and puck handling out of the zone. In the offensive zone he creates plays with his vision speed and puck handling. Last night I bet he played 42 minutes of the 51 minutes in the game. I talked to a couple of Northfield parents and they said he has been playing that many minutes each of past 10 games for the team.

In my opinion after watching numerous 1A section teams this year, VonRuden has to be the top defensemen in the section. If you have a chance to take in a Northfield game see for yourself what he brings to that team.

If anybody has some time, It would be good to see a list of the top 10 forwards and defensemen in Section 1A. It would be fun to have that discussion.

More games tonight and this weekend. Good luck to all teams in the section with their upcoming games.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Section 1A Points Leaders

Rank, Name, School, Points
1: Derek Frentz - Mankato West: 38
2: Galt Goettl - Mankato West: 35
3: Jason Samuelson - Rochester Lourdes: 32
4/5: Alex Funk - Rochester Lourdes: 30
....and Andrew Scofield - Northfield: 30
6: Ethan Larson - Austin: 24
7/8: Marcus Stolil - Austin: 23
....and Sem Wenner - LSP: 23
9: Austin Braun - LSP: 20
10: Logan VonRuden - Northfield: 18

Being as two were ties, I'll even it out at ten spots with 11 and 12 -

11: Trevor Freiermuth - Northfield: 17
12: Nathan Scofield - Northfield: 16

Goaltending Leaders (Starting Goalies)
By Save Percentage

Rank, Name, School, Save Percentage, Goals Against Average
1: Connor Wollenzien - Mankato West: .913 SV%; 1.70 GAA
2: Jake Speiss - Mankato West: .911 SV%; 2.09 GAA
3: Garret Matz - Albert Lea: .910 SV%; 2.29 GAA
4: Evan Bisek - New Prague: .910 SV%; 2.70 GAA
5: Spencer Jones - Northfield: .909 SV%; 2.46 GAA
6: Chris Amsden - LSP: .909 SV%; 2.82 GAA
urban iceman

Re: Holy Angles and Norhtfield game

Post by urban iceman »

hockeyking wrote:I had a chance to take in the HA and Northfield game last night. Northfield had a bad 1st period their goalie struggled with some easy shots and their sophmore defense had to adjust to the HA speed. Northfield's forward lines did not do a good job of backchecking or forechecking HA in the first periord.

HA team had a deeper bench then Northfield, as it is year after year.

2nd period was a draw and the 3rd period Northfield took over the game but just ran out of time.

What I took out of the game was that Northfield's Junior defensemen (VonRuden) is the leader of the team. He is extremely talented from providing a physical checking presence, speed, passing and puck handling out of the zone. In the offensive zone he creates plays with his vision speed and puck handling. Last night I bet he played 42 minutes of the 51 minutes in the game. I talked to a couple of Northfield parents and they said he has been playing that many minutes each of past 10 games for the team.

In my opinion after watching numerous 1A section teams this year, VonRuden has to be the top defensemen in the section. If you have a chance to take in a Northfield game see for yourself what he brings to that team.

If anybody has some time, It would be good to see a list of the top 10 forwards and defensemen in Section 1A. It would be fun to have that discussion.

More games tonight and this weekend. Good luck to all teams in the section with their upcoming games.
I wouldn't put too much stock in HA this year. Not one of their better teams. New Prague outplayed them on tues. nite for two of the three periods, just couldn't hit the net. I think that teams in the section other than Lourdes, NP,and possibly Northfield, have kind of a soft schedule this year thus you have such high stats for some. If you look at the State scorer leaders, most are from the small communities that have that "once in while talent" that comes around every 5 years or so!
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Lourdes 6
Delano 5
Final OT

Slightam got the game winner. Delano got out to a quick 3 to 0 lead. Lourdes scored 3 unanswered in the 2nd. Krecke, Cossette, and Funk had the goals in the 2nd. Lourdes received a 5 minute major in the beginning of the 3rd. After Delano scored, Lourdes answered with 2 shorthanded goals about 1:15 apart to take a 5 to 4 lead. Funk and Krecke got the goals. Delano would tie the game at 5 later on that same power play. It would stay 5 to 5 until 22 seconds left in OT when Slightam would get the game winner.
OU812

list of Sec 1A scorers

Post by OU812 »

just FYI West Jr Nicholas Campbell has 24 points
Roy01

Re: list of Sec 1A scorers

Post by Roy01 »

OU812 wrote:just FYI West Jr Nicholas Campbell has 24 points
That list was done in about five minutes, sorry for the error.

RESULTS FOR 1/12

Holy Angels over Red Wing: 7-1
Austin over Rochester JM: 3-2
La Crescent over Mankato East: 5-4 OT
New Prague over Chaska: 4-0

Rochester Lourdes vs. Delano score in earlier post.
Rookie Scout

Post by Rookie Scout »

Looks like Austin has more wins this year than they have had in 10 years. Thumbs Up. :D
OU812

Post by OU812 »

West 5
Northfield 4

West's Nick Campbell scores ppg with 1:34 left in the third. Scarlets were up 2-0 in the first, down 4-2 after the second, but hustled to win on the road.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

GAMES FOR 1/15

New Prague vs. Red Wing
Albert Lea vs. Austin
LSP vs. New Ulm
La Crescent vs. Waseca
Mankato East vs. Farimont

Picks are bolded.

In the past, Red Wing - New Prague games have always been close. We'll see if the Wingers can get some sort of a spark tonight...
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

RESULTS FOR 1/15

New Prague ties Red Wing: 2-2
Albert Lea over Austin: 5-1
New Ulm over LSP: 2-0
Waseca over La Crescent: 5-4 OT
Mankato East over Farimont: 6-0
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

GAMES FOR 1/17

Albert Lea vs. Rochester JM
LSP vs. Farimont
Austin vs. Owatonna
Red Wing vs. Chaska
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

RESULTS FOR 1/18

Rochester JM over Albert Lea: 3-1
LSP over Farimont: 7-0
Owatonna over Austin: 3-1

Don't know why, but I though the Red Wing game was Thursday. It'll be played tomorrow.
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Lourdes 6
Duluth Marshall 0

2nd period
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Lourdes up 7 to 0 on Duluth Marshall. Running clock in the 3rd.
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

clutterbuck22 wrote:Lourdes up 7 to 0 on Duluth Marshall. Running clock in the 3rd.
Final Lourdes wins 7 to 0. Shots on goal were 31-21. Funk had 4 goals for Lourdes.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

New Prague-3
Northfield-1
Good game, Chippy at the end!
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

GAMES FOR 1/22

Rochester Lourdes vs. Monticello/Annandale/Maple Lake
New Prague vs. Albert Lea
Faribault vs. Farmington
Red Wing vs. Shakopee
Mankato East vs. Waseca
Black River Falls (WI) vs. La Crescent

Picks are bolded.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

RESULTS FOR 1/22

Rochester Lourdes over Monticello/Annandale/Maple Lake: 5-1
New Prague over Albert Lea: 9-0
Farmington over Faribault: 6-4
Red Wing Shakopee: 5-1
Mankato East over Waseca: 4-3
Black River Falls over La Crescent: 5-3

Red Wing finally notches a, single, win... :oops: (About time...) Granted it was against Shakopee, but hopefully more are to come.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

GAMES FOR 1/24

Rochester Lourdes vs. Holy Family Catholic
Mankato West vs. Rochester JM
Albert Lea vs. Owatonna
LSP vs. Dodge County
Austin vs. Rochester Mayo
Faribault vs. Rochester Century
La Crescent vs. Sparta (WI)

Picks are bolded.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Thanks for the picks, Roy.

I am not so sure about Albert Lea beating Owatonna after the 9-0 thumping AL got from New Prague this week. I'm also hoping West is ready to play tonight after a long layoff. John Marshall has played much better the last two games.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

OU812 wrote:Thanks for the picks, Roy.

I am not so sure about Albert Lea beating Owatonna after the 9-0 thumping AL got from New Prague this week. I'm also hoping West is ready to play tonight after a long layoff. John Marshall has played much better the last two games.
I feel the same way, but I'm hoping Matz bounces back with a strong outing in net.
SEpuck

Post by SEpuck »

UH OH

JM 4
West 3

FINAL