Stefano out as Maple Grove Coach

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

My favorite part is that Wendy Loberg blames Twitter and Jersey Shore for this behavior. She's the one that should be sent packing.
"Vernig and Wendy Loberg, who oversees athletics for the school district, said reports of the incident had swept through the school via social media, including Twitter and Facebook. Loberg also said that what occurred was part of a larger societal problem and that risqué movies and TV shows contribute to the problem.

"When we look at our role models, and we look at our shows that are No. 1 in the eyes of kids, [it's] 'Jersey Shore,' 'Hangover,'" Loberg said."
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

MrBoDangles wrote:We can stop with the cover up or trying to hide what happened comments....... They would have chopped his head off right away, if they had that, to cover themselves. He also wouldn't be wondering WHY on public television.

The Maple Grove Hockey community and ALL students need to rally around their coach and demand answers. Demand a school board meeting about this and why the higher ups are not more responsible than a COACH of SOME of the students involved?

Look for Maple Grove Hockey to have some very tough years if they don't.

Need to rally!!!
Totally agree!!! If the administration is holding the coach responsible, who is holding the administration responsible? I would say the public should get some straight forward answers. Going back to watching Hangover!
mnhock10

Post by mnhock10 »

MrBoDangles wrote:We can stop with the cover up or trying to hide what happened comments....... They would have chopped his head off right away, if they had that, to cover themselves. He also wouldn't be wondering WHY on public television.
Good point. The point I was trying to make was...unless you have a player on the team and know what really went down, it can't be ruled out with 100% certainty. Do I think he knew anything about it, probably not. Do I think he tried to cover it up, absolutely not because I agree, I don't think the school would have waited until the end of the year to let him go.

Do I think the school district has handled this poorly, absolutely. Do I think Stefano is getting the raw end of the deal, without a doubt. Taking this to the school board, I don't know, you will probably find just as many people out there who dislike Stefano and think it's time to move on as those who support him.

Just asking and not saying whether I agree or not, but what would be the purpose of going to the school board? To try to get Stefano his job back or to try to hold the school officials more accountable? I guess if I were Stefano and was treated this way after 17 years of building the program, I wouldn't want to be associated with any of them any more. If it's to try to hold the school accountable for some questionable decisions and how they handled the situation, then I think that is a decent idea.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

mulefarm wrote:

The Maple Grove Hockey community and ALL students need to rally around their coach and demand answers. Demand a school board meeting about this and why the higher ups are not more responsible than a COACH of SOME of the students involved?

Look for Maple Grove Hockey to have some very tough years if they don't.

Need to rally!!!
Totally agree!!! If the administration is holding the coach responsible, who is holding the administration responsible? I would say the public should get some straight forward answers. Going back to watching Hangover!
Actions have consequences. If you just take the descriptions used in the press conferences by administration and Gary, it was apparent that this would happen.

Don't know the story, don't know if he did or did not know if there were issues, but somebody was going to have to take the fall. Coaches are on yearly renewable contracts, so that is the easiest way to pass off the blame. 8)
Nobodyonya

Re: f

Post by Nobodyonya »

Tenoverpar wrote:The SCHOOL gets the kids 7 hours a day..the hockey coach gets them for 1-1.5 hours a day...the parents get them for 14 or so...why is this solely the hockey coaches fault again? There are plenty of ADULTS involved in these kids lives.....I blame the math teacher, rumor has it 5 of the players all had the same Calc class together...it's her fault for not properly supervising these kids for 24 hours a day...the shame of the math department
=D> =D> Good humor!
observer

Post by observer »

If you want to use that example, the the AD, Principal, District person in charge of athletics and even the Sup. should be gone. If heads must roll, don't just stop with the coach and say everything is fine now. He got screwed by a weak AD and Principal who couln't take the heat!
From what I've heard this incident didn't happen on school property, at the rink or during school hours so really doesn't have much to do with school or hockey. If I'm the school adminstrator I might have asked any parent that brought this story to my attention, what does that have to do with Maple Grove HS or the hockey coach? Answer, zero.

Totally gutless by the principle, AD and District Administrator. But, not surprising at all. Job preservation by the other participants. When it comes to saving your own job now a days people turn dirty which is really unfortunate. I know we don't know all the facts but it's my opinion that nobody should have lost their job and certainly not the coach.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

mnhock10 wrote:
Good point. The point I was trying to make was...unless you have a player on the team and know what really went down, it can't be ruled out with 100% certainty. Do I think he knew anything about it, probably not. Do I think he tried to cover it up, absolutely not because I agree, I don't think the school would have waited until the end of the year to let him go.

Do I think the school district has handled this poorly, absolutely. Do I think Stefano is getting the raw end of the deal, without a doubt. Taking this to the school board, I don't know, you will probably find just as many people out there who dislike Stefano and think it's time to move on as those who support him.

Just asking and not saying whether I agree or not, but what would be the purpose of going to the school board? To try to get Stefano his job back or to try to hold the school officials more accountable? I guess if I were Stefano and was treated this way after 17 years of building the program, I wouldn't want to be associated with any of them any more. If it's to try to hold the school accountable for some questionable decisions and how they handled the situation, then I think that is a decent idea.
I'm just not the type to not do something when something is totally wrong. My guess is that the students/players/parents/fellow teachers will try to do something about it.... I'd demand answers for why he was at fault when so many others should be first in line to be blamed.
Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya »

MrBoDangles wrote:
mnhock10 wrote:

I'm just not the type to not do something when something is totally wrong. My guess is that the students/players/parents/fellow teachers will try to do something about it.... I'd demand answers for why he was at fault when so many others should be first in line to be blamed.
Hopefully, justice will be served down the road for the ones to be blamed for what the Stefano family has been thru
CasseauCougar

Post by CasseauCougar »

observer wrote:[Totally gutless by the principle, AD and District Administrator. But, not surprising at all. Job preservation by the other participants. When it comes to saving your own job now a days people turn dirty which is really unfortunate. I know we don't know all the facts but it's my opinion that nobody should have lost their job and certainly not the coach.
I'm on record as not being a big Maple Grove fan, but explain to me what kind of cold, self-serving principal gives the Head Coach and I assume his entire staff their marching papers the week of your first Sectional game. I'll tell you what kind, one that wants nothing more than for these coaches AND KIDS to lose, ending their season. And she's supposed to be about the kids. [-X

BTW, this is the same principal that called a press conference on game day to announce a plan that had NO substance from what the paper/TV reported. How far has that plan come along since that photo op???
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Anyone notice the statement made by the spokesperson, superintendant, AD, or principal? It used the word "stakeholder" in refernce to something like they were excited to get feedback from their "stakeholders" on a new coach. This makes it sound like the school will take the opinions of parents and players on their process to select a new coach. Serious?! Are the administrators from this school that dumb?
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Tigers33 wrote:Anyone notice the statement made by the spokesperson, superintendant, AD, or principal? It used the word "stakeholder" in refernce to something like they were excited to get feedback from their "stakeholders" on a new coach. This makes it sound like the school will take the opinions of parents and players on their process to select a new coach. Serious?! Are the administrators from this school that dumb?
Yes, unfortunately they are not very bright. However, don't take my word for it, just go back and read the comments from the "administrators" in the various newspaper articles and watch their rediculous effort at conducting a press conference.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Tigers33 wrote:Anyone notice the statement made by the spokesperson, superintendant, AD, or principal? It used the word "stakeholder" in refernce to something like they were excited to get feedback from their "stakeholders" on a new coach. This makes it sound like the school will take the opinions of parents and players on their process to select a new coach. Serious?! Are the administrators from this school that dumb?
Yes this district has been going that way for the last 12-15 years. Poor leadership from the Sup on down and no backbone. The principal at MG has no clue how to handle tough situations, eliminating the coach, gives her 2-3 years of not having to deal with the hockey program. (coaching complaints) Do they go to the stakeholders for all extracurricular head positions?
blueblood

MG situation

Post by blueblood »

This one has is appraching the locked up status :shock: by Lee and co.
MG Crimson Fan

Post by MG Crimson Fan »

Let me start by saying parents in this situation should be most accountable - and I am one of them. The only thing I'll add to previous opinions is I should be responsible 24 hours a day for the character my son displays (on and off the ice, in and out of school) until he is an adult.

Administration and coaches are authorized to take privileges away for any incident based on the MSHSL code of conduct policy. We all authorize this at the beginning of each activity season and trust it will be applied in a responsible manner. Unfortunately I've lost what little confidence I had left in the MGSH Administration.

What I cannot tolerate any longer are the opportunistic, malicious people that are taking advantage and escalating the situation. So many drama seekers think that "data privacy" or "gag orders" are a convenient way to hide from allegations... when in reality it has been a tremendous burden for those to defend themselves.

Let me tell you, I have yet to read or hear anything remotely close to what actually happened months ago. I can honestly say the actual facts will never live up to the hype or perceptions . I will not debate anyone's loyalty to their sources, but can confirm the "purported" rumors in this situation are absolutely - 100% false. More than half of parents within the program feel they know all the facts when in reality there are 13 players that truly don't even understand very basic facts on what happened, when, and why . Many of the blanks were inaccurately filled in by Administration - who decided to take a strong, public stance on the potential of a situation rather than the matter at hand.

I will continue to respect the privacy of these players and their families as they continue to serve a public punishment way beyond anything the Administration ever anticipated - with no support or direction. Added to that now a lifetime of guilt thinking they cost their coach his job just days after Administration sent a public message of his endorsement.

Please keep in mind any source's information beyond those directly involved may be based on perceptions - with a false sense of confidence. There are so many references out there citing 100% certainty that are way off base. I'd like to believe most people do not have malicious intent, but are not always responsible with the pieces information they've "heard" or "read".

Anyway - the topic here is " Stefano out as MG Coach"... Gary is the last person that should be scrutinized for this situation, and it's sickening! The timing is one more miscalculation that is not constructive in any way.

Portions of the Coach's quotes have been strategically used to fuel speculation... when in reality it is the rumors, his suspension, the unprecedented volume of player suspensions, and Administration's wavering knee jerk reactions - that have made this "by far his worst experience".

Gary Stefano is one of the most professional, compassionate coaches you will find. He continues to demonstrate his character, conviction, and loyalty even in his time of loss. Truly a unique quality in human beings today. Any criticism I've seen of Gary as a person has usually come from a name that never appeared on his roster... I'm not saying this to sound arrogant - just to illustrate how common this is for many coaches out there.

If Gary chooses to get behind the bench again... that team/school will inherit a first class experience with memories that last a lifetime.

The only speculation I will confirm is the dialogue between Administration, parents, alumni, and supporters is not over. While it may not reverse decisions (again), it is important for student athletes and coaches at MGSH - and hopefully a lesson learned for Administration - especially if they ever want to have a quality role-model fill any leadership positions in the future.

As for being an accountable parent - I will do everything I can.
clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 »

MG Crimson Fan wrote:Let me start by saying parents in this situation should be most accountable - and I am one of them. The only thing I'll add to previous opinions is I should be responsible 24 hours a day for the character my son displays (on and off the ice, in and out of school) until he is an adult.

Administration and coaches are authorized to take privileges away for any incident based on the MSHSL code of conduct policy. We all authorize this at the beginning of each activity season and trust it will be applied in a responsible manner. Unfortunately I've lost what little confidence I had left in the MGSH Administration.

What I cannot tolerate any longer are the opportunistic, malicious people that are taking advantage and escalating the situation. So many drama seekers think that "data privacy" or "gag orders" are a convenient way to hide from allegations... when in reality it has been a tremendous burden for those to defend themselves.

Let me tell you, I have yet to read or hear anything remotely close to what actually happened months ago. I can honestly say the actual facts will never live up to the hype or perceptions . I will not debate anyone's loyalty to their sources, but can confirm the "purported" rumors in this situation are absolutely - 100% false. More than half of parents within the program feel they know all the facts when in reality there are 13 players that truly don't even understand very basic facts on what happened, when, and why . Many of the blanks were inaccurately filled in by Administration - who decided to take a strong, public stance on the potential of a situation rather than the matter at hand.

I will continue to respect the privacy of these players and their families as they continue to serve a public punishment way beyond anything the Administration ever anticipated - with no support or direction. Added to that now a lifetime of guilt thinking they cost their coach his job just days after Administration sent a public message of his endorsement.

Please keep in mind any source's information beyond those directly involved may be based on perceptions - with a false sense of confidence. There are so many references out there citing 100% certainty that are way off base. I'd like to believe most people do not have malicious intent, but are not always responsible with the pieces information they've "heard" or "read".

Anyway - the topic here is " Stefano out as MG Coach"... Gary is the last person that should be scrutinized for this situation, and it's sickening! The timing is one more miscalculation that is not constructive in any way.

Portions of the Coach's quotes have been strategically used to fuel speculation... when in reality it is the rumors, his suspension, the unprecedented volume of player suspensions, and Administration's wavering knee jerk reactions - that have made this "by far his worst experience".

Gary Stefano is one of the most professional, compassionate coaches you will find. He continues to demonstrate his character, conviction, and loyalty even in his time of loss. Truly a unique quality in human beings today. Any criticism I've seen of Gary as a person has usually come from a name that never appeared on his roster... I'm not saying this to sound arrogant - just to illustrate how common this is for many coaches out there.

If Gary chooses to get behind the bench again... that team/school will inherit a first class experience with memories that last a lifetime.

The only speculation I will confirm is the dialogue between Administration, parents, alumni, and supporters is not over. While it may not reverse decisions (again), it is important for student athletes and coaches at MGSH - and hopefully a lesson learned for Administration - especially if they ever want to have a quality role-model fill any leadership positions in the future.

This fantastic comment deserves it's own Thread. Bravo for you for putting the best post on this situation out there!!
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

clojacks1 wrote:
MG Crimson Fan wrote:Let me start by saying parents in this situation should be most accountable - and I am one of them. The only thing I'll add to previous opinions is I should be responsible 24 hours a day for the character my son displays (on and off the ice, in and out of school) until he is an adult.

This fantastic comment deserves it's own Thread. Bravo for you for putting the best post on this situation out there!!
Couldn't agree more! It would be wonderful for this message to simply be read in front of the administration, I can only imagine the slinking in chairs that would occur thereafter.
icedad

Post by icedad »

supertacks wrote:
clojacks1 wrote:
MG Crimson Fan wrote:

Couldn't agree more! It would be wonderful for this message to simply be read in front of the administration, I can only imagine the slinking in chairs that would occur thereafter.
Also agree. Stefano has received "Coach of the Year" honors multiple times, most recently Coach of the Year for Section 5AA for the 2011-2012 season. He is a great coach and simply an all round good guy (contrary to the possible feelings of parents of kids that never played for him).
arena dogg

Post by arena dogg »

I am another MG resident in complete agreement with all of these comments. My son played for Gary in high school and considers him to be the finest coach and man of integrity that he played for at any level - youth, junior and college hockey. I feel privleged to know Coach Stefano as a teacher, fellow parent, coach and member of our community. quote="icedad"]
supertacks wrote:
clojacks1 wrote:
MG Crimson Fan wrote:

Also agree. Stefano has received "Coach of the Year" honors multiple times, most recently Coach of the Year for Section 5AA for the 2011-2012 season. He is a great coach and simply an all round good guy (contrary to the possible feelings of parents of kids that never played for him).[/quote]
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

What if the coaches association votes Gary as section and state coach of the year?
icedad

Post by icedad »

mulefarm wrote:What if the coaches association votes Gary as section and state coach of the year?
I'm sure the MG principal would accept on his behalf, but during the Basketball banquet since timing of these things is so important to her (firing him before Sections even start).

:lol:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I'm sure the district administrators will be watching Jersry Shore or Hangover and also will not be able to accept for him!!
observer

Post by observer »

My son played for Gary in high school and considers him to be the finest coach and man of integrity that he played for at any level - youth, junior and college hockey. I feel privleged to know Coach Stefano as a teacher, fellow parent, coach and member of our community.
The praise seems to be pretty uniform. This is a big problem for MG High School and administration because there aren't a lot of coaches that will fill that position with this type of history and credentials. Hopefully, if Stefano is willing, they can fix their mistake. Unless this "incident" happened at the rink I don't know how anyone could feel that Stefano is responsible.
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

mulefarm wrote:What if the coaches association votes Gary as section and state coach of the year?
The school will not feel any remorse they will just continue to believe all the coaches like the families in the district are not as smart as they are.

For him to keep the boat a float and competitive is a testament to his abilities not an indictment.
westsidestory

Post by westsidestory »

I agree that Gary Stefano is a great coach, so he'll land somewhere. (You don't last 22 years with a school, dealing with both players and parents, otherwise.) I guess, for the sake of the players not involved in the incident, in terms of stability to finish out the season and because he wasn't that culpable, it made sense to let Stefano finish out the season as coach. However, Coach Stefano had to go. My understanding is that he knew of the incident, but covered it up. And, while he had the support of the players (surprise!), he had a vote of no-confidence from the feeder Osseo-Maple Grove Hockey Association. I would add that the two- and four-game suspensions earlier in the season to the players involved was not harsh enough (i.e., They should have been kicked off the team.). As an aside, the suspension (and $75 citations by the Minnetrista police) of the Mound-Westonka hockey players on the day of their Sectional playoff game for doing the "Harlem Shake" was excessive, even unwarranted. And their timing was poor compared to that of the Maple Grove players, who, after their "slaps on the hand" (i.e., short game suspenstions) got to play in their Sectional playoff game.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

westsidestory wrote:I agree that Gary Stefano is a great coach, so he'll land somewhere. (You don't last 22 years with a school, dealing with both players and parents, otherwise.) I guess, for the sake of the players not involved in the incident, in terms of stability to finish out the season and because he wasn't that culpable, it made sense to let Stefano finish out the season as coach. However, Coach Stefano had to go. My understanding is that he knew of the incident, but covered it up. And, while he had the support of the players (surprise!), he had a vote of no-confidence from the feeder Osseo-Maple Grove Hockey Association. I would add that the two- and four-game suspensions earlier in the season to the players involved was not harsh enough (i.e., They should have been kicked off the team.). As an aside, the suspension (and $75 citations by the Minnetrista police) of the Mound-Westonka hockey players on the day of their Sectional playoff game for doing the "Harlem Shake" was excessive, even unwarranted. And their timing was poor compared to that of the Maple Grove players, who, after their "slaps on the hand" (i.e., short game suspenstions) got to play in their Sectional playoff game.
If you are not 100% sure he covered up the incident, I believe you should not throwing that out there. I only know what I have read, but I thought it was one board member who proposed a vote of no confidence and I have not heard if a vote was even taken.