Shortening Bench at 12A Level

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

Hard water fan wrote:I guess what is most surprising to me is why anyone would leave Edina intentionally. Given the quality of the school, the hockey, the opportunities- even a move to a private is a step back. The few that are lucky enough to play for Edina can proudly say they play for the top hockey program in the country. Now, green envy may argue otherwise, but I'm willing to bet most of the comments against their program is nothing short of jealousy. Boys or girls, short bench or long, Edina is the bar...
I don't think there's anything wrong with attending a school for religious or educational reasons. Edina has lost kids to Visitation, Benilde, Blake & Breck. As good as Edina's HS is, it really can't touch those schools academically either.

Edina has so many kids in their system that they can afford to take a hit. I've been told that their HS coaches really don't participate or take a great interest in the youth system, at least not to the extent that their boys coaches do, or even to the extent that Eden Prairie or Minnetonka girls HS coaches do.

I agree that the criticism posted here is largely jealousy. But I have spoken to parents who say there's a disconnect between their HS and the youth program. Is that the reason they've not won, or is it just that come HS tourney time, they've been unlucky?
Green is gold

Post by Green is gold »

Pete,
I mentioned that Shakopee only rostered 10 players. (They actually CUT a player that played 12A last Season ...shame) And you still claim Edina is the bad guy for rostering 15 and shorting the bench 2% of the season. Please answer this. You do realize that only 5-6 of the BEST at each grade level will play HS Hockey right? Shakopee shorted the bench ALL SEASON...please direct your attention there for the next page. The last time Edina did not roster a player after making the A team first year was 1985 and he was a Bantam. REPLY don't HIDE
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

There are always a handful who leave schools (looks like we're talking primarily D6-area schools here) for privates, from Edina, Tonka, Wayzata, EP. For religious and education reasons are fine. I would stack up the eduational quality (based on test scores) of at least most of these schools with the B/Privates since the Privates get to cherry-pick and the public schools are forced to take the bruised and rotting fruit, too. The public test scores might be a notch below the Privates, but if you look at demographically equivalent populations, these top public schools fare at least as well as the Privates. Yes, I realize that the Privates have some amenities and connections that publics don't.

Tonka has lost some girls to Class A schools since they saw the writing on the wall early and knew they wouldn't play much or at all for AA Tonka. Plus, certainly religious and perhaps family legacy reasons for moving elsewhere. Wayzata seems to get hit the hardest with losing top-notch youth players to Privates, for whatever reason.

Ronnie, Tonka had an incredible run of talent that will end after next season (with a few exceptions). Something like 12 D1 players in a 4-year span. Edina and other schools can extract some payback after that. Will Edina finally grab that first banner? Tough to say - what other youth programs are also strong in the same age groups? My kid's in HS now, so I haven't kept tabs with the youths as much recently. Edina can always lean on their incredible depth, but it never seems to be quite enough.

From what I've seen, Tonka has a decent link between HS and youth, but could still be stronger. I've never fully understood why every HS coach wouldn't do everything possible to develop their pipeline, since that's their coaching livelihood. I've seen some who are fully involved and others who have absolutely no contact. Of course, I'm not privy to the political machinations at these schools, either.
Green is gold

Post by Green is gold »

peter is still pretending he hasn't read this.... i knew it! Nothing to say. Peter, just say Green is Gold is right! Very simple.
Burnbabyburn

Post by Burnbabyburn »

Green is gold wrote:The last time Edina did not roster a player after making the A team first year was 1985 and he was a Bantam.
I don't think this is accurate.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

Burnbabyburn wrote:
Green is gold wrote:The last time Edina did not roster a player after making the A team first year was 1985 and he was a Bantam.
I don't think this is accurate.
There was a girl 4-5 years ago. U12A first year, U12B the next.
Unlike Green is Gold, I won't claim it's the only occurrence in 30 years.
peterthepuck

Post by peterthepuck »

Green is gold wrote:peter is still pretending he hasn't read this.... i knew it! Nothing to say. Peter, just say Green is Gold is right! Very simple.
Green Green Green, I am still here just very busy to read everyday. So you want me to go after Shakopee for cutting a girl? Will this make you feel better?

How about this angle no one has touched upon. Edina is all about development as numerous posters have stated. It's not about winning a mfg championship. And with the stellar job they are performing they will soon HANG THE BANNER. This is the reason they fielded two A teams this year, but would not balance them. Everyone knows if they were balanced they would have a much larger pool of girls to choose from at HS. But again, the real motivation to win at all costs was the priority. Not only did you shorten the bench, but your ringer who plays the entire time does not even live in your community. Your right, Shakopee does have the issues with their low numbers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Green is gold

Post by Green is gold »

P-Mac... I see your point and simply choose to take the other side. The best play with the best. I have NO affiliation with the Edina U12A team. The fact that there were two A teams gives girls a chance to rise above in the face of adversity and make something happen. Then work hard in the off season and go make "the team" next year. I have however, run practices with diverse talent and it's very difficult to continue to push the better players when forced to play with the #15,14 and 13 let alone the #30, 29, and 28. If your kid dominated at her level, she moves up. If not, welcome to the jungle. I just looked at the D6 website and see that 7 girls out of 20 are playing in the select 15 festival. 2 of them play for private schools...THATS 35% of the BEST players from D6 in the '98 birth year and you talk about development??? The 12 team you despise will garner 5-8 varsity players. Instead of wasting time blogging...keep your kid involved and hope all this hubabaloo creates a drug free, scholar athlete like I do! NO OFFENSE INTENDED at all! When we grew up there was 1 A team, 1 B team and then "House" league. We have come a long way....Opportunities abound for girls that want to put the time, energy, effort, and heart into it. PS. I still like you:)
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Everyone knows if they were balanced they would have a much larger pool of girls to choose from at HS.
Why would that be?
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

D6 Girls Fan wrote:As good as Edina's HS is, it really can't touch those schools academically either.
Can't touch? Might be overstating it a bit.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Look at test scores for D6 public schools vs. private schools, adjust for demographics and then re-examine your opinion on the privates.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Are we still beating this dead horse? If there are no more constructive thoughts coming out from this tread, it's time to close it. We all know Edina had a very very good team, with a deep pool of talent to draw from. Congrats to them for their State Championship. Congrats to Shakopee for coming in 2nd, and doing it with only 2 lines. In the end, whether you like benches being shortened, or not, take it up with your respective association representatives. It will be more productive than spewing here.
electricsaber

Post by electricsaber »

Shakopee had an A and a B team at the 12U level. Each team had 11 players, 1 goalie and 10 skaters. Each team skated both "lines" regular shifts all year long including playoffs. How does that equate to shortening the bench all season?

Congrats to Edina on their championship. Congrats to both Shakopee teams for their great seasons too.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Green is gold wrote: I have however, run practices with diverse talent and it's very difficult to continue to push the better players when forced to play with the #15,14 and 13 let alone the #30, 29, and 28.
Difficult? Maybe, but certainly not impossible. Good coaches figure out a way to deal with it. Bad coaches make excuses.
Tigerhockey2012

Post by Tigerhockey2012 »

electricsaber wrote:Shakopee had an A and a B team at the 12U level. Each team had 11 players, 1 goalie and 10 skaters. Each team skated both "lines" regular shifts all year long including playoffs. How does that equate to shortening the bench all season?

Congrats to Edina on their championship. Congrats to both Shakopee teams for their great seasons too.
Unlike Edina, most associations girl's programs don't have the luxury of having 60 kids tryout. When you have 20, what are your options? When you have 60, you do have options. You could go 4 teams of 15, 5 teams of 12 or even 6 teams of 10. I wouldn't call having two teams of 10 skaters each shortening the bench. What else were they supposed to do? That issue is simply a matter of math not Edina being morally superior for taking 15. If Shakopee took 15, what were they supposed to do with the other 5? We played that Edina team three times this year, I didn't see a whole lot of separation from skater 1 down to skater 15. There is no reason to ever shorten the bench with a team that talented. Additionally, I would argue you could have taken the top two girls off that team and they still would have had a very good chance to win state. I only saw one weakness on that team, those that played them or saw them know what it is. I am not going to call it out in case the parents are reading along. I don't want to offend anyone. On an A player that makes the team year one but doesn't year two, I am sure that is uncommon anywhere but if the player that beats them out is clearly better than so be it. In an association that has so many numbers, a kid that makes it first year is more than likely good enough to make it second year. However, in a smaller association like a Shakopee with less kids, maybe the 2nd year barely made it as a first year and then someone stronger or much stronger came along. All you have to do is look at Shakopee last year compared to this year and you could see that is more than possible. Last year's team wasn't even close to this year's team. My guess is that a bunch of strong first year's moved up.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Tigerhockey2012 wrote:I only saw one weakness on that team, those that played them or saw them know what it is. I am not going to call it out in case the parents are reading along. I don't want to offend anyone.
Coaching? :D
Tigerhockey2012

Post by Tigerhockey2012 »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
Tigerhockey2012 wrote:I only saw one weakness on that team, those that played them or saw them know what it is. I am not going to call it out in case the parents are reading along. I don't want to offend anyone.
Coaching? :D
Clever, but not what I was thinking.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Good to see a bit of humour infused in an otherwise contentious topic.