Section 3A (2013-2014)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rbmuskiefishin

Great Game

Post by rbmuskiefishin »

I got to see a great game in Hutch last night. Both teams played to their strengths and I look forward to see them playing at the end of the year. Being is the begining of the season it will be good to see how they grow.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

NotTonight’s early season takes. ](*,)
I think there are four early layers to Section 3A. Using the world famous Transitive Property.
Tier 1: (Jan 11 Showdown)
Willmar – Early season top team in the section. Interested to see how they play with Alex.
Luverne – Nice wins VS Marshall and Litch. Luverne killed St. Peter who then went and handled New Ulm. (transitive property at its finest) A good early test vs Minnehaha academy Friday.
Tier 2:
New Ulm – Big win VS Hutch, confusing ugly loss to St. Peter. Minnehaha academy comes to town saturday.
Hutch- Football mentality, love the grit, but might catch up with them. Top Line can roll with anyone. They Prove goaltending matters, even in 3A. Also Lost to the team that got spanked by St. Peter. (transitive)
Tier 3:
Marshall – Back end is the primary issue. Will improve as the season goes on.
Litch – Middle of the section.
Windom –Can probably steal a few games they shouldn’t win this year.
Tier 4:
Morris - Struggle
Worthington- Few good players.
Redwood – Should beat Fairmont
Fairmont – Not a lot of firepower here, but should be noted they stayed classy and did not get cheap in their most recent blanking by Luverne.

I think a team can move up or down a tier at the turn of a hat. The season is still young, anything can happen. It’s the most exciting, optimistic part of the year, enjoy it.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

I would have to agree with that. Spot on, notTONIGHT. 8)
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

Anybody going to have some updates on the Willmar, Alex game for us? Huge game for the top end of 3A tonight.
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

rollCARDSroll wrote:Anybody going to have some updates on the Willmar, Alex game for us? Huge game for the top end of 3A tonight.
Hockey Hub is showing the game tied at 2 in the second period.
hockeyfan26

Post by hockeyfan26 »

Hockeyhub is also showing new ulm is down 4-2 against northfield after having a lead 1-0 after the first period. New Ulm looking very inconsistent so far this season.
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

The hub has the willmar Alex game tied at 2 in the 3rd.
Can't skate

Post by Can't skate »

Alex wins 3-2.
BP

Post by BP »

Hub says Wyatt Peterson got ejected? What happened?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Lord Setterholm taking plenty of those "10 steps" backward early in the season to get ready for the Big South Conference.

MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

If Peterson was ejected in last night's game, doesn't that mean he will have to sit out the next game as well? All of a sudden the Minnehaha Academy game doesn't seem as important for comparing New Ulm & Luverne, since he is one of their best players. Willmar with a tight game against Alexandria, if they keep playing well, I think it's going to be tough for anyone to stop them.
alumni52

Post by alumni52 »

Peterson was never ejected, hockey hub had that wrong he just got a penalty. The games today and tomorrow are still going to big, bigger for New Ulm than luverne since New Ulm already lost to a common opponent in St. Peter.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

i'm sure new ulm and probably luverne are more likely to use non-conference and non-section games as opportunities to develop players and systems for year end. these games may give armchair quarterbacks some fuel for discussion. a more impotent game will be willmar and marshall. i heard marshall used the redwood game to focus on a smothering defense designed to minimize scoring opportunities. it helped them late last season. i expect a close game and willmar may be embarrassed.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

timcorbin21 wrote:i'm sure new ulm and probably luverne are more likely to use non-conference and non-section games as opportunities to develop players and systems for year end. these games may give armchair quarterbacks some fuel for discussion. a more impotent game will be willmar and marshall. i heard marshall used the redwood game to focus on a smothering defense designed to minimize scoring opportunities. it helped them late last season. i expect a close game and willmar may be embarrassed.

I think your Freudian slip (that i bolded) of the type of game that Marshall and Willmar will have is a little more indicative of the what will transpire at the Civic Center in Willmar. Willmar by four +.
But 3A is better with a good Marshall team. So I hope your right Tim.
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Luverne pulled out on top of a VERY SOLID Minnehaha Academy Squad.

Im not a big predictions guy, but im going to let one fly here.

New ulm loses by 5 Saturday.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

notTONIGHT wrote:Luverne pulled out on top of a VERY SOLID Minnehaha Academy Squad.

Sorry, but Minnehaha is not a very good team!
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

urban iceman wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:Luverne pulled out on top of a VERY SOLID Minnehaha Academy Squad.

Sorry, but Minnehaha is not a very good team!
Tell us why. Luverne outshot them by Twenty. But it was a fun game
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Look at who they have played. Bottom dwellers, no signature wins at all. I'm not saying to slight Luverne, but to say that M-A is a VERY SOLID TEAM is overstated IMO!
BP

Post by BP »

urban iceman wrote:Look at who they have played. Bottom dwellers, no signature wins at all. I'm not saying to slight Luverne, but to say that M-A is a VERY SOLID TEAM is overstated IMO!

Give a breakdown on what you saw tonight? Be interested in hearing how both teams looked tonight from your opinion.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

Made the trip down tonight. All I'm saying is Minnehaha would be a top three team in the section.. This team will beat New Ulm tomorrow. Big game tonight for Norman, smedsrud, and that eighth grader nelson for Luverne! If Meyer plays good for the cardinals through the playoffs, they will be very tough to stop. But that was the same story last year. Who knows what they will do. This section is so interesting and I can't wait for playoffs!!!
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

urban iceman wrote:Look at who they have played. Bottom dwellers, no signature wins at all. I'm not saying to slight Luverne, but to say that M-A is a VERY SOLID TEAM is overstated IMO!
for this section, yes. They would actually be a very solid team!! Stuck with Luverne for awhile. Interesting to see how they do against New Ulm tomorrow.
rbmuskiefishin

Post by rbmuskiefishin »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:
for this section, yes. They would actually be a very solid team!! Stuck with Luverne for awhile. Interesting to see how they do against New Ulm tomorrow.
Looking at who they played it appears M-A's biggest win came against a team that lost to Waconia `11-4. .....New Ulm will handle M-A.

How did Luverne look on the ice against M-A I would have expected them to beat M-A with little struggle
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

rbmuskiefishin wrote:
MrGoalieBoy wrote:
Looking at who they played it appears M-A's biggest win came against a team that lost to Waconia `11-4. .....New Ulm will handle M-A.

How did Luverne look on the ice against M-A I would have expected them to beat M-A with little struggle
. I think that smedsrud and the eighth grader is the best line on that team, along with Norman and Olson being another good combo. The goalie actually played pretty well for M-A. #10 and Sengvongxay have to be one of the two top defenseman in the section.
Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 »

New Ulm beats M. A. 2 to 0