Luverne (9-0) @ Achiever Academy (4-2) 12-21-13 3pm

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:53 am

Aces
25%
Cardinals
75%

Total votes: 16

HShockeywatcher

Luverne (9-0) @ Achiever Academy (4-2) 12-21-13 3pm

Post by HShockeywatcher »

The Aces of Achiever Academy stand in the way of the Cardinals of Luverne getting to double digit wins. They also appear to be the best opponent Luverne may have for some time now. Luverne has averaged over 10 goals and allowed less than 1 in their last 3 games; can they keep that going?

Good luck to both teams
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Luverne 5-3
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Luverne 10-1 over AA
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

I am not trying to slight Achiever Academy, but similar to Luverne, they dont have any signature wins. Different from Luverne, they have some questionable losses. What am I missing? I am hearing they are good but am not seeing it on paper. Somebody help me out. Thanks
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

Yes Luverne is 9-0 and it means nothing. Minnhock has a great ranking site and I believe they are ranked 71 overall. They are an average A team that plays week competition including today vs. Acheiver.
Teak

Post by Teak »

Clarkkent wrote:Yes Luverne is 9-0 and it means nothing. Minnhock has a great ranking site and I believe they are ranked 71 overall. They are an average A team that plays week competition including today vs. Acheiver.
I agree in that they DO play week(ly) competition.

:lol:
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Clarkkent wrote:Yes Luverne is 9-0 and it means nothing. Minnhock has a great ranking site and I believe they are ranked 71 overall. They are an average A team that plays week competition including today vs. Acheiver.
52 of the teams ranked ahead of them on the minnhock site are AA.
Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut »

Gotta agree with the old goalie, this one won't close. Luverne with a win.
HShockeywatcher

notTONIGHT wrote:
This
Juggernaut wrote:Gotta agree with the old goalie, this one won't close. Luverne with a win.
2-1 win
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
This
Juggernaut wrote:Gotta agree with the old goalie, this one won't close. Luverne with a win.
2-1 win
Whats your point HS hockey watcher? Not a quality enough win?

Officials ruined the game. Too many stupid dramatic calls.

Its a dubya regardless. Pagestat would prefer an 11-1 win but in real life, its a win.
Teak

Post by Teak »

It was a good 2-1 win for Luverne over Northern Educate's Achiever Academy. It was up in Minneapolis, hometown to Northern Educate's student body. And according to notTonight, there was apparently some dodgy refereeing. This is the kind of game Luverne needs to help get ready for playoffs.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

I went to this game (in between games at Edina) to see if Luverne was as good as their record shows. They are not.
AA carried the play for most of the game but could not finish. Thats two games I have seen them (AA) carry the play and not win (SC Tech). Luverne does play a solid two way game with a good N zone. They may win their section but will be blown off the ice in their first game at the State tournament.
Nothing against them, small town with not a lot to draw from. Its a great story. My feelings are, play a tougher schedule!! If you have the best team Luverne has ever had...play some tough opponents.
As for AA. They are a good team that works hard. They had many opportunities to win this game easily and could not score. All three losses have been by one goal. Once they start to score...look out. They have all of the tools to make a run at their section. They have enough to win it. (if the scoring follows) We will see how they do in TRF this week.
Congrats to both teams on a fun game to watch.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:I went to this game (in between games at Edina) to see if Luverne was as good as their record shows. They are not.
AA carried the play for most of the game but could not finish. Thats two games I have seen them (AA) carry the play and not win (SC Tech). Luverne does play a solid two way game with a good N zone. They may win their section but will be blown off the ice in their first game at the State tournament.
Nothing against them, small town with not a lot to draw from. Its a great story. My feelings are, play a tougher schedule!! If you have the best team Luverne has ever had...play some tough opponents.
As for AA. They are a good team that works hard. They had many opportunities to win this game easily and could not score. All three losses have been by one goal. Once they start to score...look out. They have all of the tools to make a run at their section. They have enough to win it. (if the scoring follows) We will see how they do in TRF this week.
Congrats to both teams on a fun game to watch.
So Luverne travels 4 hours on Bus on a Saturday Morning. Plays a school that can recruit anyone in the nation who has computer on hand. Then Achiever Academy is given a full period worth of penalties (16 minutes of PP time for the Aces). They were given TWO 5 minute power plays also given 3 other PP chances.

I would HOPE they carried the play and had many chances when they were a PP for that many minutes on their home ice. They need to get their PP figured out it if you really think they can COMPETE for a Section 4A Title.

Not a BIG Luverne fan by any means but for them to get on the road and be faced that many amount of penalty minutes and the shots to only be 27-26 says something about their PK Unit and toughness as a team. Will need to be more disciplined to win games on consistent basis.

All 3A Schools are just homegrown talent with small resources (Small Communities) What CLASS A WAS CREATED FOR!!

Kudos to the Cards on the win do I think they are a TOP 20 team no but they represented 3A well yesterday!
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Insert emoticon guy with small violin here. Next.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

We could also say AA has been distracted with all the off ice chatter and legal issues surrounding the club. :lol:
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:We could also say AA has been distracted with all the off ice chatter and legal issues surrounding the club. :lol:
True but those were issues that are created by having created this "so called" school. They only have themselves to blame for those issues.

Not saying AA isn't a good team I didnt even see the game just saying if they really think they are going to win Section 4A they have a long.... LONG... way to go yet.

:-({|=

\:D/
HShockeywatcher

oldschoolpuckster wrote:I went to this game (in between games at Edina) to see if Luverne was as good as their record shows. They are not.

Luverne was 21-3-1 in the regular season last year, which included a 7th place Schwan Open Divsion finish. I don't know their conference or section well enough to know how many games they take up on their schedule, but they are playing Achiever Academy, Providence Academy, and Willmar this year who weren't on their schedule last year. With only 6 teams in their conference it would appear there are more games they could change up, but I'm guessing that travel will be something to consider. Hopefully they win the Open Division this year and play in Bronze next year.

They have two goalies getting good playing time. The starter is a senior but the backup who is a sophomore is getting 40% of playing time at the moment.
There are 7 players with 14 or more points right now (and another 5 with at least 5 points) and only 2 of them are seniors. Their leading scorer is a sophomore and the second leading scorer is an 8th grader.

Considering where they were last year, I'd say they definitely improved things for this year. Hopefully the coach is actively working on making their schedule better, as it appears they will only get better next year.

Teams like Luverne and Apollo are great stories and I hope they can do what they need to so they end up being a team worth ranking in the future.
lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 »

Please show Achiever Academy some respect. The parents pay a lot of money to play weak teams. Not to mention they are an elite hockey school. Please show some respect.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Lil Gretzky the parents are not paying to play weak schools... It is a second year school. They are not ready to take on Edina just yet. There are not droves of players flocking to this school from around the world to beat your little johnnies team. It is as I have said a hundred times before, most of these students have not had huge success in a traditional classroom setting. Most of these kids are not elite players. Shame on any parent that may have found place where their child can have some success in the classroom. Why you are so afraid of this is comical!! Minnesota has had hundreds of thousands of hockey players, how many have gone on to the NHL..... Play 4 years more of hockey, green sweater, red sweater, who cares, then go get a job, and grow up and be a DH like you. It really does not matter does it. I don't even have a kid at the school, but where a kid plays his/her 23 MN High school makes NO difference, except to some parents! :wink:
lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Lil Gretzky the parents are not paying to play weak schools... It is a second year school. They are not ready to take on Edina just yet. There are not droves of players flocking to this school from around the world to beat your little johnnies team. It is as I have said a hundred times before, most of these students have not had huge success in a traditional classroom setting. Most of these kids are not elite players. Shame on any parent that may have found place where their child can have some success in the classroom. Why you are so afraid of this is comical!! Minnesota has had hundreds of thousands of hockey players, how many have gone on to the NHL..... Play 4 years more of hockey, green sweater, red sweater, who cares, then go get a job, and grow up and be a DH like you. It really does not matter does it. I don't even have a kid at the school, but where a kid plays his/her 23 MN High school makes NO difference, except to some parents! :wink:
LOL :wink: In a sense you are correct.

You don't have one kid on the team - You have two kids on the team.... :oops:
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Can we have this little catfight somewhere other than a thread on a game that happened two weeks ago?