Section 7AA 2013-2014?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Slammer wrote:Can people please shut up? Your opinion is meaningless unless you are somehow involved in the decision making process. It will be at Amsoil for a long time to come, and talking here will not change a thing.
Where else can we bring our viewpoints? They officially discussed moving it and were shut down. It is not a voting thing, it is financial. Duluth is a great site and arena per DJ and will be there for a long time. The advantage to stay and play in your hometown is the main issue. The traveling teams can now focus on beating East and matching their success. The standard has been set by East, now just get to that level.
For the East side people who think this tournament location is fair and equitable to all 7AA team participants. I brought this issue to the local AD a few years ago and was told it is in Duluth for financial reasons. Perhaps true or perhaps an easy answer to provide to get me out the door. The above bold leads one to believe it is financial pure and simple. Don't think fans of other 7AA teams are whining so much as they are frustrated with the process and solution. Thanks to the East guys who run this board to allow a forum to vent some of that frustration. It has been civil to credit of all involved.

Do petitions work to execute change of policy??
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

change.org

Go for it. [-o<
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
Slammer wrote:Can people please shut up? Your opinion is meaningless unless you are somehow involved in the decision making process. It will be at Amsoil for a long time to come, and talking here will not change a thing.
Where else can we bring our viewpoints? They officially discussed moving it and were shut down. It is not a voting thing, it is financial. Duluth is a great site and arena per DJ and will be there for a long time. The advantage to stay and play in your hometown is the main issue. The traveling teams can now focus on beating East and matching their success. The standard has been set by East, now just get to that level.
For the East side people who think this tournament location is fair and equitable to all 7AA team participants. I brought this issue to the local AD a few years ago and was told it is in Duluth for financial reasons. Perhaps true or perhaps an easy answer to provide to get me out the door. The above bold leads one to believe it is financial pure and simple. Don't think fans of other 7AA teams are whining so much as they are frustrated with the process and solution. Thanks to the East guys who run this board to allow a forum to vent some of that frustration. It has been civil to credit of all involved.

Amen to the first part, no petitions. Let the games begin Tuesday, Best of luck to all for some good hockey.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:

I was thinking of starting a "The Annual Complain About East Playoff Games At Amsoil" topic, but this topic has gotten too polluted to clean up. I was curious to see how long it would take for the topic to become the heaviest posted topic in the Forum.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Newguy_10

Post by Newguy_10 »

Where exactly is this neutral site going to be? There is no other place capable of hosting these games that is considered a "neutral" site. Think we should all just be happy we get to enjoy a place like the amsoil.
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

I guess all the outstate teams fans could complain about the state tournament being played in the cities instead of a neutral site.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

duluth dave wrote:I guess all the outstate teams fans could complain about the state tournament being played in the cities instead of a neutral site.
It's held in St. Paul not for any advantage but for a great venue, a destination for people who don't live in the city or a suburb but still want to enjoy a vibrant city. Of course it's in St. Paul, it always will be, and we all know why.

That's the exact reason 7AA should always be held in Duluth. It should be considered a treat and have meaning that you make it there. It's like showcasing the section on par with and possibly above any metro section final. Start rotating it around all over the place and IMO it cheapens it.

That's why for us eastsiders it hurts to be losing the state fair coliseum. Because it's just where so many meaningful games have been played and it oozes history; old school. That's what you want the 7AA final to feel like. Rotate it and you lose that intimacy. 8)
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

This thread is quite entertaining :lol:

With the section semi's and final's in Duluth most of the section teams are not within 100 miles. Do you think that if the games were held in say Super Rink or St Cloud and 6 of 9 teams had to possibly travel 115-160 miles that they wouldn't complain?

Please keep up the witty banter

Section team distances to Duluth:
East- 0 miles
Elk River- 150 miles
Andover- 140 miles
Grand Rapids-80 miles
Forest Lake -130 miles
St. Michael-Albertville-160 miles
Cloquet-22 miles
St Francis-137 miles
Cambridge-115 miles
Newguy_10

Post by Newguy_10 »

puckfan wrote:This thread is quite entertaining :lol:

With the section semi's and final's in Duluth most of the section teams are not within 100 miles. Do you think that if the games were held in say Super Rink or St Cloud and 6 of 9 teams had to possibly travel 115-160 miles that they wouldn't complain?

East- 0 miles
Elk River- 150 miles
Andover- 140 miles
Grand Rapids-80 miles
Forest Lake -130 miles
Cloquet-22 miles
St Francis-137 miles
Cambridge-115 miles
I'm sure the atmosphere would be just great at either of those locations (sarcasms alert). Nothing's gonna beat amsoil. Complain all you want the hounds would have been in state the past 5 years if the games would of been played on outdoor ice they get it done in the playoffs. Ps. I hate the hounds
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

scout mn wrote:other than the fact its a distinct home advantage the houndaholics don't seem to like to admit...The having the game always on a thur night vs a friday night is utterly stupid for the teams that have to travel to this "wonderful" venue. Great idea!..lets make all the parents leave early from work..pack the kids in the car...then deal with them for 2.5 hrs on the road....... watch a game for 2 hrs and head home ....having it on a friday night would be too simple and logical and be good for tourism up there to have parents get a room and stay overnight... Let me guess, the houndaholics will say ahhhhh..its not a big deal, but the fact is many fans who like to follow the team but are not fanatical about it will not drive 2+ hrs to watch a 2 hr game on a thur eve. Can someone explain to me why the finals are never played on friday night in Duluth..
You make the roadtrip sound like H-E double hockey sticks. This is the section final their going too you know. Ohhhh shoot they have to deal with the kids for 2.5 hours.
Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 »

A couple things here from me..

1. Can someone get sticksave off this forum? He types like a middle school kid who doesn't understand punctuation and it's impossible to take anything he says seriously. I actually picture a kid with a stick in his hand and a bucket over his eyes running around in a crowded room, screaming and running into the wall repetitively.

2. Is there a home town advantage? Sure. It's easy to hate on the team that has won 5 years in a row, could the location have something to do with that? Sure. However, after playing hockey growing up I always found it easier to get up for a big road game then a home game. When it's a home game it's a lot of sitting around instead of leaving school at noon and joking around with your buddies on a bus for 2-3 hours and staying loose. These teams leave school at noon, at least I know I did for my section final game in the cities, in order to take "bus legs" out of the equation.

3. I now know what politics are really like, two very different sides and no matter what valid points are brought up by either side they are disregarded and swung with biases to make it seem like your way is the correct answer, regardless what the answer really is.

4. On a serious note, where would you put this game, Hinkley? Load the teams up with some Mandatory Tobie's and call it even or what? The most logical venue to house the sheer amount of people who come out to these games is Amzoil, and that is just a pretty simple fact.

5. I hate reading this talk every year, it's not going to change and cities people always seem to feel entitled. For the first time in their lives things don't shake out for them and someone needs to hear about it. Sorry daddy's money can't buy you this venue like it did that Mercedes you drive to school everyday.

6. People who actually want to watch hockey will not complain about this and will make the trek. That post above about leaving work early... that sounded like a negative connotation with it. Don't act like you enjoy work on this forum, everyone is looking for an excuse to leave early. Hell take Friday off with a "sick" day and enjoy your long weekend.

7. This is the most competitive 7AA has been in a long time, so can we get over this awful topic and enjoy the puck that's going to happen over the next couple weeks? We should all drink this in, at some point the talent level may disappear for all we know. So shut up and lets enjoy some good old fashioned northern puck make a 6th straight trek to the X in the form of the puppies. :wink:
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.
Newguy_10

Post by Newguy_10 »

Duluth 4 wrote:A couple things here from me..

1. Can someone get sticksave off this forum? He types like a middle school kid who doesn't understand punctuation and it's impossible to take anything he says seriously. I actually picture a kid with a stick in his hand and a bucket over his eyes running around in a crowded room, screaming and running into the wall repetitively.

2. Is there a home town advantage? Sure. It's easy to hate on the team that has won 5 years in a row, could the location have something to do with that? Sure. However, after playing hockey growing up I always found it easier to get up for a big road game then a home game. When it's a home game it's a lot of sitting around instead of leaving school at noon and joking around with your buddies on a bus for 2-3 hours and staying loose. These teams leave school at noon, at least I know I did for my section final game in the cities, in order to take "bus legs" out of the equation.

3. I now know what politics are really like, two very different sides and no matter what valid points are brought up by either side they are disregarded and swung with biases to make it seem like your way is the correct answer, regardless what the answer really is.

4. On a serious note, where would you put this game, Hinkley? Load the teams up with some Mandatory Tobie's and call it even or what? The most logical venue to house the sheer amount of people who come out to these games is Amzoil, and that is just a pretty simple fact.

5. I hate reading this talk every year, it's not going to change and cities people always seem to feel entitled. For the first time in their lives things don't shake out for them and someone needs to hear about it. Sorry daddy's money can't buy you this venue like it did that Mercedes you drive to school everyday.

6. People who actually want to watch hockey will not complain about this and will make the trek. That post above about leaving work early... that sounded like a negative connotation with it. Don't act like you enjoy work on this forum, everyone is looking for an excuse to leave early. Hell take Friday off with a "sick" day and enjoy your long weekend.

7. This is the most competitive 7AA has been in a long time, so can we get over this awful topic and enjoy the puck that's going to happen over the next couple weeks? We should all drink this in, at some point the talent level may disappear for all we know. So shut up and lets enjoy some good old fashioned northern puck make a 6th straight trek to the X in the form of the puppies. :wink:
You said it all perfect Duluth4! Going to be a great section tourney this year I hope!
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

scout mn wrote:other than the fact its a distinct home advantage the houndaholics don't seem to like to admit...The having the game always on a thur night vs a friday night is utterly stupid for the teams that have to travel to this "wonderful" venue. Great idea!..lets make all the parents leave early from work..pack the kids in the car...then deal with them for 2.5 hrs on the road....... watch a game for 2 hrs and head home ....having it on a friday night would be too simple and logical and be good for tourism up there to have parents get a room and stay overnight... Let me guess, the houndaholics will say ahhhhh..its not a big deal, but the fact is many fans who like to follow the team but are not fanatical about it will not drive 2+ hrs to watch a 2 hr game on a thur eve. Can someone explain to me why the finals are never played on friday night in Duluth..
You make the roadtrip sound like H-E double hockey sticks. This is the section final their going too you know. Ohhhh shoot they have to deal with the kids for 2.5 hours.
kniven

Post by kniven »

7. This is the most competitive 7AA has been in a long time, so can we get over this awful topic and enjoy the puck that's going to happen over the next couple weeks? We should all drink this in, at some point the talent level may disappear for all we know. So shut up and lets enjoy some good old fashioned northern puck make a 6th straight trek to the X in the form of the puppies.

:wink:
Totally agree. Cloquet will play anywhere. Just win baby. We go to Elk River tomorrow night. We will give them everything we've got and then some. Go Lumberjacks!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

DD, you lost all credibility with this post with the Mercedes comment. The schools in 7AA are for the most part hard working blue collar towns.
northwoods oldtimer

alcloseshaver wrote:

DD, you lost all credibility with this post with the Mercedes comment. The schools in 7AA are for the most part hard working blue collar towns.
HAHA no kidding! If anybody is driving a Mercedes in 7AA it would be from Duluth's east side.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

puckfan wrote:This thread is quite entertaining :lol:

East- 0 miles
Elk River- 150 miles
Andover- 140 miles
Grand Rapids-80 miles
Forest Lake -130 miles
Cloquet-22 miles
St Francis-137 miles
Cambridge-115 miles
The Saudis just drew up plans for a new palace of gold...

:shock:
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

It is clearly time for Grand Casino Hinkley or Toby's to build a new rink just to host this Sectional playoff, then everyone can drive too far for the games.
sticksave

Post by sticksave »

Hey Duluth 4
Sorry I offended you. I didn't know this site had a proper English requirement. Its funny, I actually write a lot for a living. I guess I touched a nerve. I will be more conscientious in the future to properly punctuate as to not offend you. Once again, my sincerest apologies. Hey the kid with the bucket thing was kind of funny. I'm glad you found some humor in my posts!
Acloseshaver is right, most of these kids have two working parents who scrape by to keep their boys in hockey. Your misconception about the metro area is ill conceived and obviously you are one of the old time North Country people that still refers to us as 612'ers (there are 3 area codes now). Duluth is more "metro" than most of what you call metro. Its an hour drive to the X sometimes an hour and a half with traffic. These kids hunt and fish just like yours. Many of them have heritages leading back to the farm.
Amzoil is a beautiful place. DE is a great team. You have admitted that there is some advantage for DE at Amzoil. You can't blame parents who have done the hockey thing for 12-14 years to want the final few games, their kid may be playing in, to be played on fair grounds. Its a long row to hoe for these hockey parents and you become very emotionally attached to the outcome. As I've said before, if the shoe was on the other foot you guys would be doing the same thing (Bitching), and do, during the state tournament as seen on this thread in earlier posts. Good luck too all in the upcoming games.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Forget the grammar. Just make sure "ER goalie" has a good game. Let's go State. Let's go ELKS!
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

And East starts it's week long practices at Amsoil starting this morning. 8)
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
green4

Post by green4 »

I really don't have an opinion on this because Amsoil, though I have never been there sounds like a great venue but what would be the problem with maybe once every three years or so play at the Herb Brooks center in St. Cloud?
sticksave

Post by sticksave »

Slammer wrote:And East starts it's week long practices at Amsoil starting this morning. 8)
LOL All Of This, then rub it in! :P
northwoods oldtimer

Don't forget that Amsoil is neutral ice for all 7AA teams.

http://www.decc.org/Arena%20Ice%20Sched ... efault.htm
Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 »

The Mercedes comment was generalizing all cities folks. I do understand elk river is not in that bracket, however Andover is close. That was more for effect. Also, sticksave, just had a girl in my life who writes like that and it's always pissed me off, nothing personal. To all fans with a dog in this fight, good luck and go greyhounds.
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.