No Hill Murray, STA or Breck in St. Paul

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Terry Thompson III

No Hill Murray, STA or Breck in St. Paul

Post by Terry Thompson III »

bauerman

Post by bauerman »

I guess everyone will have to go back to old time hockey______ and back to Edina being the villian
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

How nice it is without no private schools in the AA tourney.
moves better than berny

Post by moves better than berny »

Don't Break your arm patting yourself on the back that these teams are not in. Next week you will get to the tourney and wish they were there so you had a better tourney and someone to hate. Then ask your self , I wonder who all these new players on Lakeville, Edina, Hermantown and so on are who they played youth hockey for? Wake up and smell the nut cup. Edina wins the state tourney last year and their stud is Conner Hurley.......from Eagan! Lives two doors down! Brucey Plante whinny about STA but doesn't comment on the defenseman from Virginia or the two nice additions from Hibbing. It is what it is and has been going on for years. If your kid can't make the team there's always Providence, Minnehaha or what ever school you chose. No big deal just enjoy the show!
12to14

Post by 12to14 »

moves better than berny wrote:Don't Break your arm patting yourself on the back that these teams are not in. Next week you will get to the tourney and wish they were there so you had a better tourney and someone to hate. Then ask your self , I wonder who all these new players on Lakeville, Edina, Hermantown and so on are who they played youth hockey for? Wake up and smell the nut cup. Edina wins the state tourney last year and their stud is Conner Hurley.......from Eagan! Lives two doors down! Brucey Plante whinny about STA but doesn't comment on the defenseman from Virginia or the two nice additions from Hibbing. It is what it is and has been going on for years. If your kid can't make the team there's always Providence, Minnehaha or what ever school you chose. No big deal just enjoy the show!
You and rest of the private school people need to deflate those large heads on your shoulders. I don't think a single person will be wishing a Private shcool was in the tourney. And if a kid left a public school for another public school who cares. At least their parents aren't off in the back round stating how they are sending them their for the education. It's just obvious they are there for the hockey. So sit back and enjoy the sold out hockey games because it will be filled with Public High Schools who earned their spot to shine.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

wbmd wrote:How nice it is without no private schools in the AA tourney.
Maybe that will silence the haters for a couple of years.....NAH! :roll:
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

12to14 wrote:
moves better than berny wrote:Don't Break your arm patting yourself on the back that these teams are not in. Next week you will get to the tourney and wish they were there so you had a better tourney and someone to hate. Then ask your self , I wonder who all these new players on Lakeville, Edina, Hermantown and so on are who they played youth hockey for? Wake up and smell the nut cup. Edina wins the state tourney last year and their stud is Conner Hurley.......from Eagan! Lives two doors down! Brucey Plante whinny about STA but doesn't comment on the defenseman from Virginia or the two nice additions from Hibbing. It is what it is and has been going on for years. If your kid can't make the team there's always Providence, Minnehaha or what ever school you chose. No big deal just enjoy the show!
You and rest of the private school people need to deflate those large heads on your shoulders. I don't think a single person will be wishing a Private shcool was in the tourney. And if a kid left a public school for another public school who cares. At least their parents aren't off in the back round stating how they are sending them their for the education. It's just obvious they are there for the hockey. So sit back and enjoy the sold out hockey games because it will be filled with Public High Schools who earned their spot to shine.
I predict that this tourney will be one of the lowest attended tournies off the last ten years.
wooshlager

Post by wooshlager »

kpryan88 wrote:
12to14 wrote:
I predict that this tourney will be one of the lowest attended tournies off the last ten years.
Only cause everyone will want to listen to Gary Thorne do the play by play this year for AA.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

kpryan88 wrote:
12to14 wrote:
I doubt that.... Private schools typically bring the smallest fan bases. Community based schools often bring the whole community. Some of the lowest attended tourneys featured four of five private schools in the class A field.

Just for example, if Duluth Marshall wins section 7A, they bring a few hundred people with them down to St. Paul to cheer them on. But if Hibbing, Virginia, or Hermantown (as it is this year), they bring a couple thousand. My guess is the newcomers like Luverne, Stillwater, and teams that haven't been there in a while like Orono, East Grand Forks, Chisago Lakes, and New Prague will bring a large contingent with them.

This obviously applies more to the class A tourney... AA is pretty much a sell out regardless of who is there. Overall attendance numbers typically ebb and flow with class A attendance since there is a waiting list for tickets for most of the AA games.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Who had the largest section for the girls class A? It wasn't Hermantown. Or any other public.
celly93

Post by celly93 »

[/quote]I doubt that.... Private schools typically bring the smallest fan bases. Community based schools often bring the whole community. Some of the lowest attended tourneys featured four of five private schools in the class A field.

Just for example, if Duluth Marshall wins section 7A, they bring a few hundred people with them down to St. Paul to cheer them on. But if Hibbing, Virginia, or Hermantown (as it is this year), they bring a couple thousand. My guess is the newcomers like Luverne, Stillwater, and teams that haven't been there in a while like Orono, East Grand Forks, Chisago Lakes, and New Prague will bring a large contingent with them.

This obviously applies more to the class A tourney... AA is pretty much a sell out regardless of who is there. Overall attendance numbers typically ebb and flow with class A attendance since there is a waiting list for tickets for most of the AA games.[/quote]

Made me curious, so I figured I'd look this up to see the validity.

In class AA, four sessions have topped 19,000 in attendance since 2005. Three featured BSM (including an afternoon session) and three featured Hill-Murray. They overlapped in two of them.

The most highly attended class AA championship featured Edina and Hill-Murray in 2008. BSM and Hill-Murray in 2012 had the third highest attendance of any class AA championship since at least 1995. The 2009 and 2011 class AA championship games, featuring the state's second largest school in Eden Prairie against another public school, averaged below 16,000.

In class A, the most highly attended championship was 2012, Hermantown vs. St. Thomas, with 8,037. The last all public class A final was in 2003, Warroad vs. Henry Sibley, with 5,057 fans. There has not been a class A championship game with lower attendance since.

The class A tournament is hard to compare with numbers since just about every session features a private school.

Obviously none of this means private schools bring crowds, but they certainly don't seem to prevent them.

All info via http://mshsl.org/mshsl/publications/cod ... eyBoys.pdf

If something isn't right, feel free to correct me.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Pretty wierd, there are no privates in this tournament, but I am still going along with all the tournament pass holders. Does not matter to me who is playing, the atmosphere and the game is why I go and I am a private school guy. I did not root for BSM when they won, don't like them, never will. Don't like Edina, but I live there and they have the best program period. Go for the sport if you are out of High School, don't whine about it....Enjoy it.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

celly93 wrote:
I doubt that.... Private schools typically bring the smallest fan bases. Community based schools often bring the whole community. Some of the lowest attended tourneys featured four of five private schools in the class A field.

This obviously applies more to the class A tourney... AA is pretty much a sell out regardless of who is there. Overall attendance numbers typically ebb and flow with class A attendance since there is a waiting list for tickets for most of the AA games.[/quote]

Made me curious, so I figured I'd look this up to see the validity.

In class AA, four sessions have topped 19,000 in attendance since 2005. Three featured BSM (including an afternoon session) and three featured Hill-Murray. They overlapped in two of them.

The most highly attended class AA championship featured Edina and Hill-Murray in 2008. BSM and Hill-Murray in 2012 had the third highest attendance of any class AA championship since at least 1995. The 2009 and 2011 class AA championship games, featuring the state's second largest school in Eden Prairie against another public school, averaged below 16,000.

In class A, the most highly attended championship was 2012, Hermantown vs. St. Thomas, with 8,037. The last all public class A final was in 2003, Warroad vs. Henry Sibley, with 5,057 fans. There has not been a class A championship game with lower attendance since.

The class A tournament is hard to compare with numbers since just about every session features a private school.

Obviously none of this means private schools bring crowds, but they certainly don't seem to prevent them.

All info via http://mshsl.org/mshsl/publications/cod ... eyBoys.pdf

If something isn't right, feel free to correct me.[/quote]

Thats because everyone comes to root against them 8)
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

kpryan88 wrote:
12to14 wrote:
So ?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I'm glad the tourny is publics only. It will be sold out, and it will be fun. You folks who think this tourny needs the privates should wake up. Your not that important. Start your own tourny/go play Tier 1 it won't make a bit of difference the Mn State Tourny will be sold out and unmatched by any tourny for kids that age. Go to a National championship when SSM plays. There are forty parents there. Start a private school state [like we used to have] Won't have the same attendance #'s. Go Stillwater !!!
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Zamman wrote:Pretty wierd, there are no privates in this tournament, but I am still going along with all the tournament pass holders. Does not matter to me who is playing, the atmosphere and the game is why I go and I am a private school guy. I did not root for BSM when they won, don't like them, never will. Don't like Edina, but I live there and they have the best program period. Go for the sport if you are out of High School, don't whine about it....Enjoy it.
^^^^
This.

The hating is really, REALLY old.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

An explosion of endless public/private schadenfreude/defensiveness on the forum? Must be Tourney time.

Let's limit it to one thread, please, so that those of us who tire of this don't have to deal with ten million topics on it.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32600