Minnesota Select Stinks

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

BluehawkHockey

Minnesota Select Stinks

Post by BluehawkHockey »

First off, let me say I am a disgruntled parent. My daughter has been invited to selects twice and has had the invitation pulled both times. Once by the coach and the second time by the board.

This time it was because she isn't in the region that she was asked to play for. They have known for months. The coach from the home region was ok with it. But now the board suddenly has a problem with it even though this same thing has been happening for years in selects.

If you know of anyone playing Selects in the wrong region, DM me. I want to know.
C_R

Post by C_R »

Prefer Selects for this very reason. Players representing their own region and playing in the proper age grouping. No complaints here.
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

C_R wrote:Prefer Selects for this very reason. Players representing their own region and playing in the proper age grouping. No complaints here.
If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you. They haven't enforced it for the last 4 years but are claiming to this year. I'm betting it isn't enforced for every team this year.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

Yup! You sound like a disgruntled parent. It is unfortunate that she won't get a chance to play. However, to ask for names of other potential "illegal" players? What does that prove ? Still won't get your daughter a roster spot. I'd just let it go. Lots of other things to focus on and if anything use it as a teaching tool for your daughter. Too punish other kids because of your misfortune is not one of the lessons.
hockey121330

Re: Minnesota Select Stinks

Post by hockey121330 »

BluehawkHockey wrote:First off, let me say I am a disgruntled
BluehawkHockey - I appreciate you acknowledging yourself as a disgruntled parent however relax. Seriously done all of the 'selects' weekends. It's not worth you sweating it. Seriously relax and don't ruin the run for your daughter. I guarantee it. Your making a bigger deal of this than your daughter wants you to.

Enjoy the time!
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

hockey121330 wrote:
BluehawkHockey - I appreciate you acknowledging yourself as a disgruntled parent however relax. Seriously done all of the 'selects' weekends. It's not worth you sweating it. Seriously relax and don't ruin the run for your daughter. I guarantee it. Your making a bigger deal of this than your daughter wants you to.

Enjoy the time!
My daughter has always had fun playing these things. Made some good friends that she gets to play against during the winter.

She has done 2 or 3 of these every spring for the last 3 years. Are they worth the money, probably not but she enjoyed them. Kept her on the ice between winter hockey and summer hockey.

This year it appears it is going to be even more expensive. Asked the president to refund our registration fee and let me know. That was on Tuesday. Haven't heard a peep from MN Selects since then. Real class organization.

I never expected her to get an invite this year at all but when she did, she wanted to do it. She is understandable disappointed. I'm over it as is she. I just want to make sure people are aware of what this group will do to the kids.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

hockey121330 wrote:

Enjoy the time!
He doesn't appreciate the way the thing is administered. I don't see how that ruins anything for his daughter.

Maybe a Super Series coach has a spot for the kid?
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

InigoMontoya wrote: He doesn't appreciate the way the thing is administered. I don't see how that ruins anything for his daughter.

Looks like the rules only apply to some kids. 2001 West girls had a girl from Mpls playing. Mpls is supposed to be in the East region at least based on what they have documented on their website. Maybe those don't apply to players the West wants.
Ritz727272

Post by Ritz727272 »

BluehawkHockey wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote: He doesn't appreciate the way the thing is administered. I don't see how that ruins anything for his daughter.

Looks like the rules only apply to some kids. 2001 West girls had a girl from Mpls playing. Mpls is supposed to be in the East region at least based on what they have documented on their website. Maybe those don't apply to players the West wants.
It's checkbook hockey....time to play a few games of shinny with girls you dont always have a chance to play with. Seems like there is a new "selects", "elite", etc... weekend popping up all the time.

These weekends are a fun time for those involved. If people think that they are true "all star" tournaments, they need a reality check.
skateittillyouloseit

Post by skateittillyouloseit »

[/quote]
Looks like the rules only apply to some kids. 2001 West girls had a girl from Mpls playing. Mpls is supposed to be in the East region at least based on what they have documented on their website. Maybe those don't apply to players the West wants.[/quote]

The 2001 West team had 3 girls from St. Louis Park and none from Mpls, so I'm not sure where you get your info from. Maybe time to let this one go? However, i do hope you got your money refunded.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

skateittillyouloseit wrote:
Looks like the rules only apply to some kids. 2001 West girls had a girl from Mpls playing. Mpls is supposed to be in the East region at least based on what they have documented on their website. Maybe those don't apply to players the West wants.[/quote]

The 2001 West team had 3 girls from St. Louis Park and none from Mpls, so I'm not sure where you get your info from. Maybe time to let this one go? However, i do hope you got your money refunded.[/quote]

I didn't find where the website specifies whether it is the program you play for or the town you live in.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

BluehawkHockey wrote:

From what I heard there is some inter-region give and take that happens depending on numbers. We were up there last weekend and it was a blast! What a great tournament and overall experience.
Ritz727272

Post by Ritz727272 »

Snap Happy wrote:
BluehawkHockey wrote:

From what I heard there is some inter-region give and take that happens depending on numbers. We were up there last weekend and it was a blast! What a great tournament and overall experience.
My point exactly. The words like " a blast", "fun" and "great" are what these are about.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

Ritz727272 wrote:
BluehawkHockey wrote:

It's checkbook hockey....time to play a few games of shinny with girls you dont always have a chance to play with. Seems like there is a new "selects", "elite", etc... weekend popping up all the time.

These weekends are a fun time for those involved. If people think that they are true "all star" tournaments, they need a reality check.
This statement paints an incorrect picture -- at least as it relates to this year. I am familiar with elite MN girls in the 02-04 birth years, and a little 01. Many, if not most, of the top girls were represented this year in all these birth years. I also know there were some that weren't there due to spring break vacations -- ie, they weren't playing in another "better" tournament instead. Yes there were one or two girls on a team that maybe shouldn't be there (ie, weren't quite there talent-wise), but that doesn't take anything away from the tournament, the depth of the teams, or the girls being recognized. Seeing what I saw this year, and knowing a little about last year's crop too, I would recommend this tournament for my daughter again (they would both also choose it again for sure).
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Snap Happy wrote:
Ritz727272 wrote:
BluehawkHockey wrote: Looks like the rules only apply to some kids. 2001 West girls had a girl from Mpls playing. Mpls is supposed to be in the East region at least based on what they have documented on their website. Maybe those don't apply to players the West wants.

This statement paints an incorrect picture -- at least as it relates to this year. I am familiar with elite MN girls in the 02-04 birth years, and a little 01. Many, if not most, of the top girls were represented this year in all these birth years. I also know there were some that weren't there due to spring break vacations -- ie, they weren't playing in another "better" tournament instead. Yes there were one or two girls on a team that maybe shouldn't be there (ie, weren't quite there talent-wise), but that doesn't take anything away from the tournament, the depth of the teams, or the girls being recognized. Seeing what I saw this year, and knowing a little about last year's crop too, I would recommend this tournament for my daughter again (they would both also choose it again for sure).
I want to make sure I'm clear about what I just read.

You are an expert (leaving out the 01's, for which you are only a casual expert) on every girl that is playing born 2002 through 2004, and during your extensive scouting in St Cloud, you are stating that, save a couple coaches' buddies filling in for kids that were getting tan, every single one of the top 240 girls in the entire state were there?
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

InigoMontoya wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:
Ritz727272 wrote: It's checkbook hockey....time to play a few games of shinny with girls you dont always have a chance to play with. Seems like there is a new "selects", "elite", etc... weekend popping up all the time.

You are an expert (leaving out the 01's, for which you are only a casual expert) on every girl that is playing born 2002 through 2004, and during your extensive scouting in St Cloud, you are stating that, save a couple coaches' buddies filling in for kids that were getting tan, every single one of the top 240 girls in the entire state were there?
No, you're not clear on anything. He didn't say any of that. Try reading it again with your glasses on this time.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

they weren't playing in another "better" tournament instead.
Glasses on or off, it seems to me that it says they were either in St Cloud or on vacation. What am I missing there, Froggy?

This seemed to be an unsolicited comment, after a post regarding it's all about fun, to offer an expert analysis of the composition of the quality of all of the hockey being played that weekend. Just wondering how the MN Selects coaches do such a great job grabbing up the best 8U players in the state, leaving none of the best 8 and 9 year olds at the Super Series - which I assume is the "better" tournament that he sarcastically bracketed, even though I see no mention of it in the post he replied to. I thought someone familiar with elite MN girls could provide some insight.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

InigoMontoya wrote:
they weren't playing in another "better" tournament instead.
Glasses on or off, it seems to me that it says they were either in St Cloud or on vacation. What am I missing there, Froggy?

This seemed to be an unsolicited comment, after a post regarding it's all about fun, to offer an expert analysis of the composition of the quality of all of the hockey being played that weekend. Just wondering how the MN Selects coaches do such a great job grabbing up the best 8U players in the state, leaving none of the best 8 and 9 year olds at the Super Series - which I assume is the "better" tournament that he sarcastically bracketed, even though I see no mention of it in the post he replied to. I thought someone familiar with elite MN girls could provide some insight.
I was responding to the guy who said it was by no means an all star tournament by saying there were many elite girls there - so it was solicited.

Lay off the caffeine. You're way too up tight.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

I am familiar with elite MN girls in the 02-04 birth years, and a little 01. Many, if not most, of the top girls were represented this year in all these birth years.
I guess I should tell my U9 non-elite daughter to pack it in, since she is only playing in the Super Series and Preview Challenge Cup this year. She's going to be disappointed when she gets home from school.
ruprecht

Post by ruprecht »

InigoMontoya wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:This statement paints an incorrect picture -- at least as it relates to this year. I am familiar with elite MN girls in the 02-04 birth years, and a little 01. Many, if not most, of the top girls were represented this year in all these birth years........

OK, so here's a discussion:
First, should any 11 or 12 year-old girl be considered "elite"?
And 2nd, is some dad really qualified to confer "elite" status on these girls? And is he really "familiar" with all or most of the "elite" players in the entire state? Really? My initial reaction is that it's ridiculous to talk about it. But maybe the dads out there have already identified the "elite" players....

So I took 15 minutes and my mastery of arithmetic and looked at some numbers.
Start with the assumption that D1 coaches are qualified to identify elite players and call them "elite". If that sounds right, take the current seniors who are committed to D1 colleges next year.
MNSelects has boxscores with rosters on their website going back to 2006, when these seniors were first eligible for MNSelects (most of them are '96s, and a handful are '95s).
I looked at the 'middle' year of MNSelects (2008) for these 96s and 95s--the first two years are U10 age, and the coaches probably haven't yet seen everybody, and the last two years many of the kids have had enough and beg off. I'm not going to look at every year.

So...I count 48 skaters and 6 goalies who have committed to D1 schools for next year. There may be a few who haven't been announced, but we'll take these 54.
Out of these 54, I count the following:

96 West: 9 skaters and 2 goalies
96 North: 4 skaters
96 East: 3 skaters
96 South: 5 skaters and 1 goalie

95 West: 1 skater
95 North: None
95 East: 1 skater
95 South: 1 skater

So in 2008 24 of the 48 D1-defined "elite" skaters played in MNSelects, and 3 of the 6 goalies.

Unless the dads and dad coaches have gotten considerably more sophisticated in identifying talent in the last 6 years, and unless the coaches don't automatically take 3 players from their own Association, and don't automatically invite the daughters of all the coaches in their District, your 10-year-old can keep her dreams in place regardless if she is asked to play in MNSelects.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

ruprecht wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:This statement paints an incorrect picture -- at least as it relates to this year. I am familiar with elite MN girls in the 02-04 birth years, and a little 01. Many, if not most, of the top girls were represented this year in all these birth years........

OK, so here's a discussion:
First, should any 11 or 12 year-old girl be considered "elite"?
And 2nd, is some dad really qualified to confer "elite" status on these girls? And is he really "familiar" with all or most of the "elite" players in the entire state? Really? My initial reaction is that it's ridiculous to talk about it. But maybe the dads out there have already identified the "elite" players....

So I took 15 minutes and my mastery of arithmetic and looked at some numbers.
Start with the assumption that D1 coaches are qualified to identify elite players and call them "elite". If that sounds right, take the current seniors who are committed to D1 colleges next year.
MNSelects has boxscores with rosters on their website going back to 2006, when these seniors were first eligible for MNSelects (most of them are '96s, and a handful are '95s).
I looked at the 'middle' year of MNSelects (2008) for these 96s and 95s--the first two years are U10 age, and the coaches probably haven't yet seen everybody, and the last two years many of the kids have had enough and beg off. I'm not going to look at every year.

So...I count 48 skaters and 6 goalies who have committed to D1 schools for next year. There may be a few who haven't been announced, but we'll take these 54.
Out of these 54, I count the following:

96 West: 9 skaters and 2 goalies
96 North: 4 skaters
96 East: 3 skaters
96 South: 5 skaters and 1 goalie

95 West: 1 skater
95 North: None
95 East: 1 skater
95 South: 1 skater

So in 2008 24 of the 48 D1-defined "elite" skaters played in MNSelects, and 3 of the 6 goalies.

Unless the dads and dad coaches have gotten considerably more sophisticated in identifying talent in the last 6 years, and unless the coaches don't automatically take 3 players from their own Association, and don't automatically invite the daughters of all the coaches in their District, your 10-year-old can keep her dreams in place regardless if she is asked to play in MNSelects.
Hey!! Nice assumption -- but you're off. I wasn't saying that these girls were already D1 elite (you really thought that??). By elite I meant they are at the top of their age group in talent at this given time (not too far of a stretch from the definition of elite is it?) -- and thus the selects tournament is more competitive. So if that's what you're looking for, come to St. Cloud.

As far as your other questions, I don't care enough to continue the argument.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Due to the nature of girls' hockey, the 2002's, as an example, were all over the place this winter - 10A, 10B, 12A, 12B, squirtA, squirtB, peeweeA, peeweeB; in a state that covers a pretty large geographical area. It would be a pretty impressive accomplishment to keep up with all of those girls, identify the top 80 as elite and convince them to play in St Cloud that weekend, also, pretty coincidental that those 80 girls could not be more concentrated in one area than another.