Best Goalies on Bad Teams

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OldManRiver

Best Goalies on Bad Teams

Post by OldManRiver »

I read the story earlier about the Jr. Gold goalie who went on to make the Mercyhurst team, and it got me thinking - who are the best goalies on really bad teams this year? Anyone jump to mind as a guy that might be fun to watch even though his team is getting pummeled?
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Jake Sibell on Providence Academy wins this one, right?
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

Hmmm ??
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Traxler wrote:Jake Sibell on Providence Academy wins this one, right?
Love to see this kid in a competitive, shot heavy AA schedule. See how good he is then. If you think you are a prospect (or I should say if dad thinks son is a prospect) and if hockey is so important to you to transfer schools, transfer to a school that you likely will still be playing bantam as an 8th grader and play on and against HS teams that the top 15 Bantam AA teams can't beat.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Sats81 wrote:
Love to see this kid in a competitive, shot heavy AA schedule. See how good he is then. If you think you are a prospect (or I should say if dad thinks son is a prospect) and if hockey is so important to you to transfer schools, transfer to a school that you likely will still be playing bantam as an 8th grader and play on and against HS teams that the top 15 Bantam AA teams can't beat.
I see your point. Maybe he actually transferred for academic reasons. It's likely that Providence Academy has better academics than his previous school, was it Cambridge?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Traxler wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
I see your point. Maybe he actually transferred for academic reasons. It's likely that Providence Academy has better academics than his previous school, was it Cambridge?
Pretty certain it was Cambridge. Doubtful he transferred for academic reasons. If so, why not go to a private like HM, or BSM, or STA then? Because he likely wouldn't have even made any of their JV teams.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Sats81 wrote:
Traxler wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Love to see this kid in a competitive, shot heavy AA schedule. See how good he is then. If you think you are a prospect (or I should say if dad thinks son is a prospect) and if hockey is so important to you to transfer schools, transfer to a school that you likely will still be playing bantam as an 8th grader and play on and against HS teams that the top 15 Bantam AA teams can't beat.
Pretty certain it was Cambridge. Doubtful he transferred for academic reasons. If so, why not go to a private like HM, or BSM, or STA then? Because he likely wouldn't have even made any of their JV teams.
I guess I'll keep playing Devil's Advocate. Maybe his family moved to Plymouth and have the money to pay for a private school's education. My brother lives right next to Providence Academy and I suggested that he send his kid there. Not for sports, but for the education. I'm not really high on public school education these days....
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Traxler wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Traxler wrote: I see your point. Maybe he actually transferred for academic reasons. It's likely that Providence Academy has better academics than his previous school, was it Cambridge?
I guess I'll keep playing Devil's Advocate. Maybe his family moved to Plymouth and have the money to pay for a private school's education. My brother lives right next to Providence Academy and I suggested that he send his kid there. Not for sports, but for the education. I'm not really high on public school education these days....
Maybe you are right! I doubt it though.
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

I believe he moved close to the school and is living with a family that might be a booster club member
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

He "committed" there a couple years ago. His summer coach was Brokaw with the Blades and then he also followed him to Competitive Edge.. I'm also sure he's getting the schooling for free like most top end players are these days.

*Brokaw is now his high school coach
green4

Post by green4 »

Jon Flanke on Orono
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

green4 wrote:Jon Flanke on Orono
I don't think you can consider Orono a "bad team"... Although he is a great goalie
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

Murray from Virgina HS would be my pick. Solid goalie on a weaker team that gets very little help. Without him their losses would be a lot more lopsided.

The kid from Detroit Lakes is also fun to watch. Better team, but still seeing a lot of shots and playing very well this year.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Sam Gerth - Grand Rapids. Where he doesn't get help is Rapids top players making passes when they are in for a prime scoring chance. They didn't get to the title game in 06/07 because Patrick White tried to pass when wide open with the puck at the circle or closer.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

MrBoDangles wrote:He "committed" there a couple years ago. His summer coach was Brokaw with the Blades and then he also followed him to Competitive Edge.. I'm also sure he's getting the schooling for free like most top end players are these days.

*Brokaw is now his high school coach
Ding Ding.

Brokaw = Lane Kiffen
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Colton Cunning in Fairmont should be mentioned. He's been getting peppered for years and the effect is a pretty effective game.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

With Hopkins record so far, you got to call them a good team to date, but
by end of regular season they will probably be at bottom of conference, so I will vote this award to Kuehmichel who is at .929 right now and will likely finish season with respectable overall goaltending numbers. I havent seen Flakne since Elite League, but he was very impressive there.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

puckfan wrote:
I believe he moved close to the school and is living with a family that might be a booster club member
If he transferred before 9th grade it doesn't matter whether they moved or not. Regardless, what a deal for him. Looks like the only goalie on the team - he will see lots of shots. If he doesn't get demoralized by the experience, he should benefit greatly from this year
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

NLHockey wrote:Looks like the only goalie on the team - he will see lots of shots. If he doesn't get demoralized by the experience, he should benefit greatly from this year
There are 2 seniors on the roster and 6 juniors, with the top 4 in scoring 9th or 10th graders. Presently in section 5A, he could be leading a quality team if they can grow around him.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Sibell will probably follow the goalie trend to tier 1... Or early as possible to juniors to get more games in. Game numbers seem to be of way more importance to goalies when looking at the development trends of the best out there. They're saying it's the only conclusion on why there's been so few Minnesota goaltenders (should be more representation) compared to skaters in the NHL. The recent increase in summer hockey in Minnesota has helped our goalies some..
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Sats81 wrote:
I was also wondering why the choice to face such weak competition..
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

MrBoDangles wrote:Sibell will probably follow the goalie trend to tier 1... Or early as possible to juniors to get more games in. Game numbers seem to be of way more importance to goalies when looking at the development trends of the best out there. They're saying it's the only conclusion on why there's been so few Minnesota goaltenders (should be more representation) compared to skaters in the NHL. The recent increase in summer hockey in Minnesota has helped our goalies some..
Compared to most goalies in MN, he has played a lot of games. I definitely see a trend of top goalies leaving for more games and better opportunities. Valid or not, the lack of game experience is THE number one criticism of MN goalies at this time. Summer hockey isnt going to fix it.
Marty

Post by Marty »

People often fail to realize how tough it is to be a good goalie on a weak team.

Not all shots are created equal.

The number of quality of shots and number of odd man rushes are high.

Make a mistake and kick out a rebound ... good team the D clears, weak team not so much.
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

puckfan wrote:
As it's a DIRECT violation of MSHSL rules, I hope that isn't true.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Marty wrote:People often fail to realize how tough it is to be a good goalie on a weak team.

Not all shots are created equal.

The number of quality of shots and number of odd man rushes are high.

Make a mistake and kick out a rebound ... good team the D clears, weak team not so much.
Elite teams/skaters are going to give goalies tougher shots and scenarios to save... Could have faced better competition than Mora and Legacy C at his old team of Cambridge.

Just heard the development was better for him his 8th grade year against the Duluth Easts and other top teams he faced.