7AA 2014-15

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Usthockey13 wrote:I like how he has STMA as the 2 seed
Traxler wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:This guy has some interesting thoughts on the seeding for the section at this point...

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... _id=967184
Very entertaining. Thanks for posting!
:lol: Well that was dizzying. I'm not sure what annoyed me more, STMA as the 2-seed (um, no) or the desperate need for an editor.
hockey59 wrote:The big difference for DE this yr compared to the past several yrs is they lack a high end offensive defenseman. ER has that this yr in Kiersted. GOALTENDING is the main thing standing in ER's path to State. DE has some very good forwards, a good goalie and a great coach, but I see ER getting the #1 seed in 7AA...doesn't necessarily mean they will advance to the Xcel...but there is a better chance this yr than in the last few yrs that DE's run to Xcel ends.
I agree that East has had some issues adjusting to the lack of a star offensive defenseman (though LaMaster will be one, in time). I do like their depth on D, which is somewhat better than in recent years--they're just very raw back there.

And yes, if there was ever a year for the Elks to end East's run, this is it.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

I thought last year was the year? When they had a top flight goalie. Will believe it possible when it happens, if it happens. As Mike Tice would say "enjoy the season" and watch Jaremko play, he is a special player who returned for his senior year with his buddies. Plenty of time for juniors next year. Refreshing...
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

alcloseshaver wrote:I thought last year was the year? When they had a top flight goalie. Will believe it possible when it happens, if it happens. As Mike Tice would say "enjoy the season" and watch Jaremko play, he is a special player who returned for his senior year with his buddies. Plenty of time for juniors next year. Refreshing...
Is there any word on when/if Perbix will be able to skate again for ER this season after his surgery? The Elks could really use him back on D, especially this year with the goalie issues.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

sanryam wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:I thought last year was the year? When they had a top flight goalie. Will believe it possible when it happens, if it happens. As Mike Tice would say "enjoy the season" and watch Jaremko play, he is a special player who returned for his senior year with his buddies. Plenty of time for juniors next year. Refreshing...
Is there any word on when/if Perbix will be able to skate again for ER this season after his surgery? The Elks could really use him back on D, especially this year with the goalie issues.
February, won't be back for the East game.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

karl(east) wrote:
Traxler wrote: Very entertaining. Thanks for posting!
:lol: Well that was dizzying. I'm not sure what annoyed me more, STMA as the 2-seed (um, no) or the desperate need for an editor.
hockey59 wrote:The big difference for DE this yr compared to the past several yrs is they lack a high end offensive defenseman. ER has that this yr in Kiersted. GOALTENDING is the main thing standing in ER's path to State. DE has some very good forwards, a good goalie and a great coach, but I see ER getting the #1 seed in 7AA...doesn't necessarily mean they will advance to the Xcel...but there is a better chance this yr than in the last few yrs that DE's run to Xcel ends.
I agree that East has had some issues adjusting to the lack of a star offensive defenseman (though LaMaster will be one, in time). I do like their depth on D, which is somewhat better than in recent years--they're just very raw back there.

Just in comparing Duluth East and STMA, East won head to head, and while East hasn't been the team we are accustomed to seeing, they don't have a glaring loss like STMA does. STMA lost to Monticello at home. I really don't know how 3-7 would look in 7AA, but East I'd probably give the 2 at this juncture, and I'd keep them at 2 if they get swept next week. The article also I thought gave too much credit to St. Francis and Cambridge, up to this point those two have done nothing to prove they won't be playing for the right to be cannon fodder for Elk River in the quarterfinals. This is the most even I can remember seeing 7AA at this point of the season, gonna make for an epic 2nd half, not only from a seeding standpoint, but also from the stand point of what team is going to hit their peak at the right time.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

If the seeding meeting was today I would still think East has to be the 1 seed.
itsjustkidshockey

STMA ugly Monticello loss

Post by itsjustkidshockey »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
hockey59 wrote:The big difference for DE this yr compared to the past several yrs is they lack a high end offensive defenseman. ER has that this yr in Kiersted. GOALTENDING is the main thing standing in ER's path to State.
DE has some very good forwards, a good goalie and a great coach, but I see ER getting the #1 seed in 7AA...doesn't necessarily mean they will advance to the Xcel...but there is a better chance this yr than in the last few yrs that DE's run to Xcel ends.

Just in comparing Duluth East and STMA, East won head to head, and while East hasn't been the team we are accustomed to seeing, they don't have a glaring loss like STMA does. STMA lost to Monticello at home. I really don't know how 3-7 would look in 7AA, but East I'd probably give the 2 at this juncture, and I'd keep them at 2 if they get swept next week. The article also I thought gave too much credit to St. Francis and Cambridge, up to this point those two have done nothing to prove they won't be playing for the right to be cannon fodder for Elk River in the quarterfinals. This is the most even I can remember seeing 7AA at this point of the season, gonna make for an epic 2nd half, not only from a seeding standpoint, but also from the stand point of what team is going to hit their peak at the right time.

Easy to pick on STMA ugly loss when missing players to flu. Also missing players for East game. Come see us when were healthy. Hopefully STMA gets some respect back winning their division at the Schwans Cup.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I think STMA has a team that can beat Elk River or East in the playoffs, certainly have respect for them in that sense. That said, seeding is an entirely different conversation which is based purely on the results. Can't have a double standard with excuses either, if one team can make an excuse for a loss, then every team gets to take one bad loss off the resume. STMA has a weak schedule the rest of the year, but they do play Cloquet the night before the section meeting, which if they take care of the other games, I could see STMA getting the 4 seed, maybe 3 depending on how the other teams finish like GR, FL, and Andover. Still a lot of head to head 7AA match ups left. It's gonna be fun.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

7AA is not going to be fun to watch. You've got one good team (Elk River), one slightly above average team (East) and the rest are mediocre or bad. Not sure about STMA yet, but see them #3 seed. Very disappointing this year for AA Northern Schools. No quality wins for East, Cloquet or Rapids. The two best teams up North are Marshall and Hermantown. They would challenge Elk River for 7AA. Can Elk River get beat? Sure, but don't see it happening. Rapids looks the same as last year. Keep waiting for them to turn the corner and it never happens.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

greenway1969 wrote:7AA is not going to be fun to watch. You've got one good team (Elk River), one slightly above average team (East) and the rest are mediocre or bad. Not sure about STMA yet, but see them #3 seed. Very disappointing this year for AA Northern Schools. No quality wins for East, Cloquet or Rapids. The two best teams up North are Marshall and Hermantown. They would challenge Elk River for 7AA. Can Elk River get beat? Sure, but don't see it happening. Rapids looks the same as last year. Keep waiting for them to turn the corner and it never happens.
East just lost 3 in a row and the last loss was to Eastview. Seems to be just as average as everyone else behind Elk River. I still think Randolph is the best coach, but East doesn't have a high end player like last year with the defenseman they had whose name escapes me at the moment. Rapids is a young team and they have the talent to be good this year, great next year. They just make too many mistakes shooting themselves in the foot with all the penalties. They have a a good number of players that show flashes of brilliance like Mattson, Miller, Adams, Bischoff, and Stampohar. Still time for them to bring it together by mid-Feb in a section that is down compared to years past.
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

By and large section 7AA is down this year. Yes Elk River has a very dominate couple of players, but lack goaltending. Give up to many soft goals. East has history, but very down this year. Rapids gets talk from their faithful however if we're talking them as a top team their below 500. STMA doesn't play anyone, I saw an over time victory by them early this season, but that was against a team totally rebuilding. Andover, Forest Lake and Cloquet all have potential to put togather a game to compete with anyone. But no consistency. Section 7AA fun to watch but no real contenders in my opinion.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

It is easy to pile on Elk River's goaltending but they will be adequate as the season goes on. The Soph is going to improve as he gets more varsity experience and although not elite he has won a lot of games as a youth hockey player against the best teams in the state.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

greenway1969 wrote:7AA is not going to be fun to watch. You've got one good team (Elk River), one slightly above average team (East) and the rest are mediocre or bad. Not sure about STMA yet, but see them #3 seed. Very disappointing this year for AA Northern Schools. No quality wins for East, Cloquet or Rapids. The two best teams up North are Marshall and Hermantown. They would challenge Elk River for 7AA. Can Elk River get beat? Sure, but don't see it happening. Rapids looks the same as last year. Keep waiting for them to turn the corner and it never happens.
Yeah you're right. I wish I could have made it to the AmericInn tourney to watch Greenway win some highly competitive games against stiff competition. Are they moving up to AA next year to bring some excitement to 7AA?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

I may just be optimistic here, but I think the Hounds will be fine. They are young and have a few kinks to work out (goalie situation, defense) but they've got some good scorers and if they can work out those kinks they will have just as good chance as anyone in Febuary. Once the young guys get used to the system, they'll be fine.

Never underestimate Randolphs ability to mold a team together.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Elk Rivers section to lose IMO. Rapids won't be close.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

No, Greenway isn't moving up. The more important question is will Rapids move down? They probably would be a 3 or 4 seed in 7A.
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

Slammer wrote:I may just be optimistic here, but I think the Hounds will be fine. They are young and have a few kinks to work out (goalie situation, defense) but they've got some good scorers and if they can work out those kinks they will have just as good chance as anyone in Febuary. Once the young guys get used to the system, they'll be fine.

The Hounds are always ready to play come section time. I still wouldn't be surprised if they upset Elk in the section final this year.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Clearly. Pretty obvious who would be the overwhelming favorite if there was a Herm vs East game this year.
boblee

Post by boblee »

TheInsider wrote:
Slammer wrote:I may just be optimistic here, but I think the Hounds will be fine. They are young and have a few kinks to work out (goalie situation, defense) but they've got some good scorers and if they can work out those kinks they will have just as good chance as anyone in Febuary. Once the young guys get used to the system, they'll be fine.

The Hounds are always ready to play come section time. I still wouldn't be surprised if they upset Elk in the section final this year.
This is why they play the games! Right now the seeding is like this:

1. Elk River
2-8. Everyone else

What really matters, though? All teams are 0-0 on February 19th and the team that wins three straight wins the section. Should be a fun playoff even if it isn't the most talented 7AA of all time!
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

boblee wrote:This is why they play the games! Right now the seeding is like this:

1. Elk River
2-8. Everyone else

What really matters, though? All teams are 0-0 on February 19th and the team that wins three straight wins the section. Should be a fun playoff even if it isn't the most talented 7AA of all time!
Agree!

You're just being optimistic. Try realistic.
alcloseshaver wrote:It is easy to pile on Elk River's goaltending but they will be adequate as the season goes on. The Soph is going to improve as he gets more varsity experience and although not elite he has won a lot of games as a youth hockey player against the best teams in the state.
Any evidence that they'll continue to roll with Meyers? I'm no goalie coach, but there seems to be a world of difference in composure between the pipes with him, than with Gauthier. Granted, the #'s don't show it... What would the always defensive minded Tony Sarsland say about this situation??? WWTD?? Find the answer, and find a state tournament contender... Continue seeking, lost in outer space like the current team on defense when opposing teams rush into the zone, or while on the penalty kill, and the section is up for grabs, and 7AA is a potential bye round in March.
Mazak55

Post by Mazak55 »

Anyone who thinks STMA isn't a top 3 team in this section hasn't seen them play this year. They have a couple of players who can bury the puck with the best goal scorers in the section. They can hit with anyone and their goaltending is good. Top 3 with ease!
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Mazak55, what time is practice today?
Mazak55

Post by Mazak55 »

Couldn't tell you Special, but you should find out and go watch.
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

What number are you?
Mazak55

Post by Mazak55 »

You're grasping at straws Special. I'm impressed with a team that people are quick to discredit. How does that equate to being on the team? Do you really think that a high school hockey player on winter break would be hanging out on this site? Check them out and then your opinion would mean something.