Please Help

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GoalieDad23

Please Help

Post by GoalieDad23 »

My son is a pee-wee goalie but also enjoys skating out. I thought I had the perfect solution and signed him up to skate out on a recreation team. Minnesota hockey has decided that if he skates out for recreation hockey he would disqualify his pee-wee team for district play or regional play. So they're making us pick one. Obviously, we're staying with association hockey and sticking with goalie.

My question is what options does he have, outside of pond hockey, to skate out and play against other teams? Can he play in 3 on 3 leagues? Can he play in some one-day tournaments?

I guess I don't understand Minnesota hockey.
Froggy Richards

Re: Please Help

Post by Froggy Richards »

GoalieDad23 wrote:My son is a pee-wee goalie but also enjoys skating out. I thought I had the perfect solution and signed him up to skate out on a recreation team. Minnesota hockey has decided that if he skates out for recreation hockey he would disqualify his pee-wee team for district play or regional play. So they're making us pick one. Obviously, we're staying with association hockey and sticking with goalie.

My question is what options does he have, outside of pond hockey, to skate out and play against other teams? Can he play in 3 on 3 leagues? Can he play in some one-day tournaments?

I guess I don't understand Minnesota hockey.
That just makes no sense. You should be able to do whatever you want when it comes to a Rec League. I thought that's what Rec Leagues were for? He can do anything that isn't sanctioned by USA Hockey. If it's an Independent 3 on 3 league he should have no problem. He could also do AAA, AAU, MN Made. Obviously I don't know his skill level but if he's a full time goalie it may be tough to get in and compete in those leagues during the winter. Another option would be to have him skate out on a AAA team in the offseason. Plenty of those teams out there for all skill levels. Then he would get to do both over the course of the year.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

You say Minnesota Hockey decided he can't do that. Who exactly told you this? Is this coming from your association president or district director? There are kids that are playing both association hockey and choice league. This doesn't seem any different.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

barry_mcconnell wrote:You say Minnesota Hockey decided he can't do that. Who exactly told you this? Is this coming from your association president or district director? There are kids that are playing both association hockey and choice league. This doesn't seem any different.
Very different. Choice league is not affiliated with USA/MN Hockey. Rec Leagues are, so you can't be on more than one roster within USA/MN Hockey. The only exception is for goalies, but they must play goalie and can't skate out.
GoalieDad23

Post by GoalieDad23 »

barry_mcconnell wrote:You say Minnesota Hockey decided he can't do that. Who exactly told you this? Is this coming from your association president or district director? There are kids that are playing both association hockey and choice league. This doesn't seem any different.
This is coming from Minnesota Hockey. They are saying that if skates out in a recreation league that his pee-wee team could face disqualification when his team gets to districts/regions/etc. :roll:

I guess I don't understand the decision. But whatever. Like most goalies, he has dreams of scoring a goal once in a while. It's just going to have to be in a non-sanctioned league or tournament instead I guess. I mean, it's just recreational hockey.

Maybe Minnesota hockey was angry that I only had to register with them once for both teams; therefore, did not get their dues for both teams.

Whatever the case, recreation hockey goes into March and our team should wrap up some time in February. So I could pay the $300 to have him hold a roster spot and let him play in the last three or four games of the season perhaps. I don't know. Not really financially wise but it's hockey right? Nothing is.

And to those that said he should play in the summer, he's already on an established AAA team as goalie during the summer. That's why I thought rec league was perfect. One game, one practice a week. Just enough to get those feelings of wanting to skate out fulfilled.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

If he get get on a AAA team[summer] that would be a solution. AAU keeps getting closer.
regsharp

Post by regsharp »

So this doesn't apply?

"No Player shall be registered with two or more MH/USA Hockey teams at the same time regardless of league division or classification, except:

1. Players on house teams may play with both their house
team and an association traveling team."

Is the Rec league not classified as house? Other than Rec being more limiting, they're pretty much the same by definition.

"House" Similar to “C”, but limited to an “in-house” program (Teams do not participate in any way outside of their home association).

"Recreational" Similar to "C", but limited to two activities per week (maximum) within a recreational league or organization (teams do not participate in any way outside of their recreational league or organization). No tournaments are allowed at this level, but a year-end play-off is permitted.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

I know for a fact you can play simultaneously for a USA hockey sanctioned team (association) and an AAU team. Not a lot of local AAU in Minnesota but the teams that exist are traveling out of state almost every weekend - MI, WI, MO.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Rules have unintended consequences
Be kind. Rewind.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

O-townClown wrote:Rules have unintended consequences
How mysteriously vague of you...