the race to nowhere article

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

the race to nowhere article

Post by greybeard58 »

black sheep

Post by black sheep »

I hate these aimed at sports...its not sports its society in general

Kindergarten is the new first grade...

Masters degree is the new BS....

Ever watched a professional bass fishing tournament...

Ever watched a hunting show...

The level of competition is ever increasing...

Problem with sports is people are afraid to fail, to lose, to be unsuccessful, when these are the types of lessons we need to teach youth...how to fail, learn from it, recover...and sports are the perfect place for it...minus participation medals.
JSR

Post by JSR »

black sheep wrote:I hate these aimed at sports...its not sports its society in general

Kindergarten is the new first grade...

Masters degree is the new BS....

Ever watched a professional bass fishing tournament...

Ever watched a hunting show...

The level of competition is ever increasing...

Problem with sports is people are afraid to fail, to lose, to be unsuccessful, when these are the types of lessons we need to teach youth...how to fail, learn from it, recover...and sports are the perfect place for it...minus participation medals.
I agree completely on everything you said and to take it a step farther it's actually ten times worse in academics. Have you seen the pressure put on kids to achieve academically, and I admittedly fall into that trap in academics sometimes with my own kids, society has a ton of pressure but it's not just that. I went to UW-Madison and since I was "only" a preferred walk on for my sport I had to gain admission legitimately academically, and I had a solid 3.5 GPA and a 27 on my ACT, but I can tell you from experience that isn't good enough to get in there now if you are just a normal caucasian non-scholarship athlete. So the thing is with the academics for some it's not so much a race to nowhere as it is just trying to keep up so you can get into a decent college if you want, I never felt that pressure as a kid but I know the kids now a days feel it big time.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

JSR, agreed, and that's just the tip of the academic iceberg; it's really much worse and to be admitted to a top-flight school you absolutely must have a special skill, legacy, or a "really good essay".