7AA 2014-15

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Metallica81

Section 7AA

Post by Metallica81 »

Here's a table that shows the head to head results in Section 7AA:

Slammer

Post by Slammer »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Hard to think Randolph would pull that given he was quoted as saying GR is the 2 seed last week. 5-1 win over East, and East has no wins the quality of beating Moorhead and Wayzata (both on the road btw). East will have their hands full next week with Andover or Cloquet.
But they also don't have the losses against single A teams like Rapids does... and the thrashing they took from Hermantown... :shock:

GR should still get the 2 seed, but Rapids and East are on the same level right now. Both are playing good hockey. If East can tie Elk River (and who knows if the last shot went in or not for east, I've seen video that very much looks like the puck crossing the line) they can beat everybody in this section.

East's problem is every game they play can be close because of the system they use. They almost beat Lakeville North, won against Lakeville South, tied elk river, and lost to Anoka.

It's all about getting the system to work before playoffs start.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

And STMA didn't even have the top 2 seeds in this section on their schedule, so I don't see how they can could even get 3rd seed.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Slammer wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Hard to think Randolph would pull that given he was quoted as saying GR is the 2 seed last week. 5-1 win over East, and East has no wins the quality of beating Moorhead and Wayzata (both on the road btw). East will have their hands full next week with Andover or Cloquet.
But they also don't have the losses against single A teams like Rapids does... and the thrashing they took from Hermantown... :shock:

GR should still get the 2 seed, but Rapids and East are on the same level right now. Both are playing good hockey. If East can tie Elk River (and who knows if the last shot went in or not for east, I've seen video that very much looks like the puck crossing the line) they can beat everybody in this section.

East's problem is every game they play can be close because of the system they use. They almost beat Lakeville North, won against Lakeville South, tied elk river, and lost to Anoka.

It's all about getting the system to work before playoffs start.
This has been beaten to death and is a poor argument against Rapids. Just because East only schedules a couple A teams every year; if that. Why doesn't East have little ole Hermantown or Marshall on their schedule?? They are right next door. Three of the top programs in the north and they don't play each other? That makes sense. Rapids plays them every year. Just because they are A or AA has ZERO bearing on the quality of team they are. Hermantown, Marshall and Mahtomedi would be easily top 15 if not top 10 AA this year.

I actually agree with you though that GR should be the 2 seed. I think they've earned it.

Don't agree that they are on the same level right now. GR is 6-1-1 in its last 8. East is 4-2-2 with only 1 win in its last 5. Its been a challenge for them to get consistency going this whole year. I expected them to have their poo together by now but it doesn't seem like much has changed. I still expect them to be a factor in sections but my confidence to have a new face from 7AA this year at state is pretty high.[/b]
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

They aren't on the same level. The reason the first game was 5-1 is Rapids has more high end talent starting with UND commit Mitchell Mattson. John Stampohar and Micah Miller will likely also be future D1 players, with more on the way from their bantam team next year. East doesn't have a legit top forward that can bail them out when they need a goal. And also, please stop with the single A BS. So by your logic Rapids would have a tougher schedule playing Irondale, St Francis, Cambridge type teams instead of a bunch of duster/benders like Marshall, Warroad, and Hermantown?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

This is about as wide open as I can remember. I would think you could make an argument for 5 teams that have a legitimate chance to win this section.
Elk River has been the best all year and will be tough to beat.
If I were to bet on someone to knock off the Elks it would be East or GR.
I wouldn't bet the farm that those 2 will win their quarter final games though.
No offense to either team- it's just that they will have to bring their best hockey right away.
That is something both have struggled with at times this year.

If these 2 play the way they are capable of- one of them will have a good opportunity to be playing in St. Paul.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

What time of day do yhey meet today to set seeding?
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:What time of day do yhey meet today to set seeding?
6PM
crw

Post by crw »

Slammer wrote:And STMA didn't even have the top 2 seeds in this section on their schedule, so I don't see how they can could even get 3rd seed.
That's more like they didn't have STMA on their schedule.

And the fact that they didn't play (more likey because ER and GR wouldn't schedule a game because they thought STMA is always inferior) is the worst logic I've heard yet for any seeding purpose from a logical (which I know is hard for some people) stand point.

And your assuming those 2 are the top 2 seeds :lol:
Last edited by crw on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

crw wrote:
Slammer wrote:And STMA didn't even have the top 2 seeds in this section on their schedule, so I don't see how they can could even get 3rd seed.
That's more like they didn't they didn't have STMA on their schedule.

And the fact that they didn't play (more likey because ER and GR wouldn't schedule a game because they thought STMA is always inferior) is the worst logic I've heard yet for any seeding purpose from a logical (which I know is hard for some people) stand point.
I know how these seeding meetings work, and the fact that STMA doesn't play the top two seeds in the section actually does matter. It limits how far they can go up in the seeding ladder, and having their only section loss against East should bring them to the 4th seed. I would be completely shocked if they wound up with 3rd.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Slammer wrote:
crw wrote:
That's more like they didn't they didn't have STMA on their schedule.

I know how these seeding meetings work, and the fact that STMA doesn't play the top two seeds in the section actually does matter. It limits how far they can go up in the seeding ladder, and having their only section loss against East should bring them to the 4th seed. I would be completely shocked if they wound up with 3rd.
I'm sure Esse would rather play at Heritage than drive to STMA again for the first round. That might be a factor.
crw

Post by crw »

If East or GR had our Record with our schedule everyone would be saying they are a 1 seed they are 20-4. If we were around .500 team (like they are) with their schedules people would be saying they are 6 or 7 seed..

Politics will probably take over tonight but don't be so sure things won't juggle around because coaches know section is wide open and they won't want to travel far TUESDAY.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

crw wrote:If East or GR had our Record with our schedule everyone would be saying they are a 1 seed they are 20-4. If we were .500 team (like they are) with their schedules people would be saying they are 6 or 7 seed..

Politics will probably take over tonight but don't be so sure things won't juggle around because coaches know section is wide open and they won't want to travel far TUESDAY.
The 4 seed really wouldn't be a bad place for STMA. Should be confident playing at home again vs Cloquet, and Elk River is one of the most if not the most vulnerable 1 seed IMO. East has been struggling to score, and for all the hype Elk River gets and being ranked around 4-6 all year, they should never have tied East at home, especially playing for revenge from last year's section final. I think Jaremko is probably the Mr Hockey winner this year, but the Elks defense has been shaky. Their goaltending seems a bit improved, but STMA's Tyler Hayes and Logan Nelson are very dangerous forwards. STMA's schedule may hurt their seeding, but in terms of just looking at the talent, STMA wouldn't shock me if they are in the Section Final.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

STMA does have a good record, congrats on a good regular season. But it carries more value to have a tougher schedule and worse record than an inflated record against inferior opponents. Not politics, facts. The coaches understand this and will seed accordingly but I'm still anxious to see how it plays out.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

crw wrote:If East or GR had our Record with our schedule everyone would be saying they are a 1 seed they are 20-4. If we were around .500 team (like they are) with their schedules people would be saying they are 6 or 7 seed..

Rapids used to have your schedule (or strength of schedule so to speak) and found out that it didn't work that way. Part of the reason I'm sure, why they changed it to be a lot tougher than it has in past years.
East High Rah Rah Rah....
crw

Post by crw »

Just win your 1st game and get to final 4... Then game plan for whoever your opponent is. It's that simple.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Houndhockey wrote:
crw wrote:If East or GR had our Record with our schedule everyone would be saying they are a 1 seed they are 20-4. If we were around .500 team (like they are) with their schedules people would be saying they are 6 or 7 seed..

Rapids used to have your schedule (or strength of schedule so to speak) and found out that it didn't work that way. Part of the reason I'm sure, why they changed it to be a lot tougher than it has in past years.
Rapids had a "weaker" schedule in the past, but never as weak as STMA's. And by the sounds of it, Rapids is going to continue to toughen their schedule even more. I'd be willing to bet they'll drop International Falls and Virginia, maybe Hibbing too. I sure hope so, the IRC is dead, leave it in the past.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:They aren't on the same level. The reason the first game was 5-1 is Rapids has more high end talent starting with UND commit Mitchell Mattson. John Stampohar and Micah Miller will likely also be future D1 players, with more on the way from their bantam team next year. East doesn't have a legit top forward that can bail them out when they need a goal. And also, please stop with the single A BS. So by your logic Rapids would have a tougher schedule playing Irondale, St Francis, Cambridge type teams instead of a bunch of duster/benders like Marshall, Warroad, and Hermantown?
Agree that the games against top A teams are more significant than those against mediocre AA. I have NEVER understood the reluctance (refusal) of the Duluth teams to not play each other and Hermantown? What are you afraid of? I have high hopes for my THawks this year and for the next couple! C'mon boys!
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

crw wrote:If East or GR had our Record with our schedule everyone would be saying they are a 1 seed they are 20-4..
No. They wouldn't. Your schedule is weak no matter who may have it. Face it. STMA has come a long way. They played well against Cloquet. They deserve the 4 seed for that victory just like East deserves to be seeded above you for theirs. Don't become delusional. ER, GR and DE are long tenured programs with experience and success. Be happy you have a good shot to go to Amsoil because no matter what seed, any of those 3 will be a challenge .
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Each team gets to submit one seeding, are we destined for a East/GR semi? Or would East like to take their chances against ER? Matchups come into play in the process.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I see some talk about Randolph trying to get the 2 seed. Does it really matter? I know if the 2 and 3 seeds play in the semifinals the 2 seed gets the last line change. But is that advantage really all that significant?

I only played hockey through peewees, so advanced hockey strategy escapes me.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Traxler wrote:I see some talk about Randolph trying to get the 2 seed. Does it really matter? I know if the 2 and 3 seeds play in the semifinals the 2 seed gets the last line change. But is that advantage really all that significant?

I only played hockey through peewees, so advanced hockey strategy escapes me.
What is significant is the 2 seed plays Forest Lake, and the 3 seed will play Andover. No disrespect for Forest Lake, but they aren't the team they've been in recent years with Garcia in net, they are way down. Still can't take em lightly. Andover is a much tougher opponent.
crw

Post by crw »

Are you sure Andover won't be ahead of Cloquet. I know they tied and records are similar but have look at other common games... And if East does end up 3 and STMA 4 then Cloquet may try for 5 seed so,they don't have to travel Tuesday night..
Last edited by crw on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Slammer wrote:
crw wrote: That's more like they didn't they didn't have STMA on their schedule.

I'm sure Esse would rather play at Heritage than drive to STMA again for the first round. That might be a factor.
And Andover probably wouldn't mind just driving across town to play STMA. :lol: :lol: :lol:
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »