can a coach be a bully ?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

illhaveanother

can a coach be a bully ?

Post by illhaveanother »

I have noticed a trend, are we as parents willing to call our coach a bully ?
If so would Herb ever been able to coach?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Hockeymoms run the show today. Energized by politically correct administrations flower power generational B.S. Its enough to make a billy goat puke! Call the admin little johnny got looked at cross eyed by the coach!

Reason they stay home until they are 30 now days.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Hockeymoms run the show today. Energized by politically correct administrations flower power generational B.S. Its enough to make a billy goat puke! Call the admin little johnny got looked at cross eyed by the coach!

AMEN!!
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Hockeymoms run the show today. Energized by politically correct administrations flower power generational B.S. Its enough to make a billy goat puke! Call the admin little johnny got looked at cross eyed by the coach!

DAMN DIRTY HIPPIES ... GET OFF MY LAWN AND OUT OF MY HOCKEY RINK!!!
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
coco2

Post by coco2 »

No a coach can't be a bully if they're a good coach. But you must think of the team first just like they should.
defense

Re: can a coach be a bully ?

Post by defense »

[quote="illhaveanother"]I have noticed a trend, are we as parents willing to call our coach a bully ?
If so would Herb ever been able to coach?[/quote]

Of course a coach can bully. But I am defining bullying as seriously singleing out a player and, well , bullying him, over a period of time to where that player is seriously being negatively impacted. This is not to be confused with good old fashioned hard nose coaching. And I don't see Herb Brooks methods as bullying by the way.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

DAMN DIRTY HIPPIES ... GET OFF MY LAWN AND OUT OF MY HOCKEY RINK!!![/quote]

Heh heh heh.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

The pussification of America.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

defense wrote:Of course a coach can bully. But I am defining bullying as seriously singleing out a player and, well , bullying him, over a period of time to where that player is seriously being negatively impacted. This is not to be confused with good old fashioned hard nose coaching. And I don't see Herb Brooks methods as bullying by the way.
The problem is too many parents today cannot differentiate between the two. Good old fashioned hard nosed coaching is seen to often as mean, intimidating, bullying, you're being too hard on the kids. Mamas want to protect their innocent babies.
defense

Post by defense »

SCBlueLiner wrote:
defense wrote:Of course a coach can bully. But I am defining bullying as seriously singleing out a player and, well , bullying him, over a period of time to where that player is seriously being negatively impacted. This is not to be confused with good old fashioned hard nose coaching. And I don't see Herb Brooks methods as bullying by the way.
The problem is too many parents today cannot differentiate between the two. Good old fashioned hard nosed coaching is seen to often as mean, intimidating, bullying, you're being too hard on the kids. Mamas want to protect their innocent babies.
Amen
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:DAMN DIRTY HIPPIES ... GET OFF MY LAWN AND OUT OF MY HOCKEY RINK!!!

Heh heh heh.[/quote]

Love it! :)
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

SCBlueLiner wrote:
Let's turn it around. The problem is too many coaches today cannot differentiate between the two. Good old fashioned hard-nosed coaching is sometimes driven to a level of meanness, intimidating, and bullying. Mamas will and have a right to protect their innocent babies. Sorry boys.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Defensive Zone wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:
Let's turn it around. The problem is too many coaches today cannot differentiate between the two. Good old fashioned hard-nosed coaching is sometimes driven to a level of meanness, intimidating, and bullying. Mamas will and have a right to protect their innocent babies. Sorry boys.
Sure, there is just so much "abuse" among hockey coaches going on today.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Defensive Zone wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:
Give mama a whistle and she can coach the team then.
illhaveanother

Can a coach be a bully

Post by illhaveanother »

We are talking high school coaches,
Mama's baby is grown up?
Maybe that's the problem
Marty

Post by Marty »

NO.

Being tough does not require bully or demeaning behavior. It is no longer acceptable in schools or the workplace. If you cannot lead your life to that level ... then face the possible loss of a job or lawsuits.

There is no need to be a bully. Have a coach-player-parent meeting early on and lay out the rules and any disciplinary actions (especially those tougher than MSHSL) out in written form. Communicate with the players (kids) why they are not playing or playing less. The coach should then follow his rules whether it is his first line center or back up goalie.

If a player makes a mistake on or off the ice and he misses a shift, a period or a game ... it can be done and done sternly ... but with out being demeaning.

A HS coach is foremost a teacher. Set the example, lead by example.

If the behavior of a coach is not allowed by teachers in the school nor students in the school then it should not be allowed in the locker room or on the ice.

Do coaches break the anti-bully rules. Sure ... as parents, coaches, supervisors ... we all have done things wrong or wish we could do it over. It is those with a pattern of bully behavior that should be removed.
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

The Roseville goddess mom goes after the school district for bullying years before adding the hockey coach to her agenda.
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Marty wrote:NO.

Being tough does not require bully or demeaning behavior. It is no longer acceptable in schools or the workplace. If you cannot lead your life to that level ... then face the possible loss of a job or lawsuits.

There is no need to be a bully. Have a coach-player-parent meeting early on and lay out the rules and any disciplinary actions (especially those tougher than MSHSL) out in written form. Communicate with the players (kids) why they are not playing or playing less. The coach should then follow his rules whether it is his first line center or back up goalie.

If a player makes a mistake on or off the ice and he misses a shift, a period or a game ... it can be done and done sternly ... but with out being demeaning.

A HS coach is foremost a teacher. Set the example, lead by example.

If the behavior of a coach is not allowed by teachers in the school nor students in the school then it should not be allowed in the locker room or on the ice.

Do coaches break the anti-bully rules. Sure ... as parents, coaches, supervisors ... we all have done things wrong or wish we could do it over. It is those with a pattern of bully behavior that should be removed.
I agree with everything you say Marty. Problem is, like I stated earlier, too many parents these days confuse the style of coaching you are talking about with the coach being a "bully". Truth is the first time their kid runs foul of the coach for breaking the rules, or heck, for not earning their playing time, it is the coach's fault for being the strict disciplinarian. Can't have that because mom's already invested too much in junior's hockey career and junior always works hard. Must be the coach. Time to lead the campaign in the stands to get rid of him. I've seen this unfold plenty of times.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

I once asked a legendary coach why he does not get back into coaching. He left during his prime, was well respected in the community and won several championships. He still enjoyed both the game and the kids. His answer to my question was this............ "Son, when I coached several years ago the parents use to drop their kids off at practice and say to me, 'if my child gives you any trouble you let me know!', today parents drop their kids off at practice and say to the child, 'if the coach gives you any trouble you let me know!' ".

Sums it up right there.
defense

Post by defense »

Coach can definitely bully. But having strict discipline is not bullying. If the rules are the same for everyone, and enforced to everyone equally, and the punishment is leveled equally, then to me the only question remaining is if the nature of the punishment. If the whole team is existing under the same circumstances it would not be bullying. Now the coach may be abusive or inappropriate etc. With punishment. Bit I don't see it as bullying if no one is singled out .
The original question was if a coach could be a bully,
It is definitely a tough call, tough subject. Technically, if someone holds fear over other people equally, he can be considered a bully. But this is a coach and a team, not regular adults. The question really is, what power are we comfortable giving a coach? What are we willing to let him do? A person could argue that a certain amount of "bullying " is acceptable from a coach of teenage boys. A person could also argue that it is not the best way to achieve the intended result. I don't think that there is a hard definition as to what a coach can and cannot do accross all of the HS hockey teams , and all teams in general.
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

JohnnyBuck wrote:I once asked a legendary coach why he does not get back into coaching. He left during his prime, was well respected in the community and won several championships. He still enjoyed both the game and the kids. His answer to my question was this............ "Son, when I coached several years ago the parents use to drop their kids off at practice and say to me, 'if my child gives you any trouble you let me know!', today parents drop their kids off at practice and say to the child, 'if the coach gives you any trouble you let me know!' ".

Sums it up right there.
Legendary in his own eyes. :wink:
illhaveanother

Can a coach be a bully

Post by illhaveanother »

The best place to coach is at an orphanage,

It's pretty clear that a parent can be a bully to a coach,
And I think this happens more often than we know, I.e. Roseville, and from what I hear Orono
Marty

Post by Marty »

illhaveanother wrote:I have noticed a trend, are we as parents willing to call our coach a bully ?

So if you read between the lines in Miracle, much of Brooks' behavior was attributed or tied to him having the team (used to beating each other up in the college ranks) rally together as a team rather than be individuals.

Those who know Brooks or played for him at SCSU or Minnesota would be better off commenting on his personality as a college coach. He was certainly successful at UM accounting for 3 National Titles. Was the coach in Miracle how Brooks always approached coaching ?

But he failed as a NHL coach where obviously he had to coach adult men.
pondhockeywizard

Can a coach be a bully?

Post by pondhockeywizard »

Reading between the lines tells me parents need to just shut up and let it be,
I talked to a dad of a bantam coach he said his son would get text messages from parents during the game telling him what he should be doing.

That's messed up!!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Marty wrote:
illhaveanother wrote:I have noticed a trend, are we as parents willing to call our coach a bully ?

So if you read between the lines in Miracle, much of Brooks' behavior was attributed or tied to him having the team (used to beating each other up in the college ranks) rally together as a team rather than be individuals.

Those who know Brooks or played for him at SCSU or Minnesota would be better off commenting on his personality as a college coach. He was certainly successful at UM accounting for 3 National Titles. Was the coach in Miracle how Brooks always approachedcoaching ?
I'm not sure he failed at the NHL level. I think he was way ahead of mentality of the league and how it he visioned it should be. I think the last stint with the penquins he opened it up and brought some real entertainment to the game. I read where his players said it was the most fun they had playing at that level. People would rather watch s 5-4 game with 30 shots/per team than a 2-1 game with 30 total shots.

But he failed as a NHL coach where obviously he had to coach adult men.