MN Hockey participation rule change

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Froggy Richards

Re: Real life example

Post by Froggy Richards »

moosepaw wrote:Player lives in city of association A, says they are going to school in city association B, ask for waiver doesn't get it , goes to district director they tell them what to do. They switch there address on license and paycheck. Never move, never switch schools still lives in city A.

True story.

None of the rule changes matter, district director hold all the power you can play wherever you want. Period. If you talk to the higher ups in Minnedota Hockey they run from this discussion and refer back to district director.
It's true that the District Directors have all of the power. That's the way it is set up. MN Hockey even writes into the rules that the District Director's Decisions are final. I have to believe that most of them are there because they believe in the integrity of the game though. Well, except maybe the guy in District 16. I heard he's a crotchety old fart who has been on a power trip for years! :wink:
Hockeyfan2000

Post by Hockeyfan2000 »

Froggy Richards - However the lead in sentence is as follows:

Players who change schools without a related change of residence shall elect one of the following:

Player in my fact situation has never changed school. So the rule shouldn't apply.

The Exiled One - In order to move back to Association of Residence and play at the highest level, the player must give notice one year in advance. So in order to do what you said, the player would have to give notice immediately upon receiving the school waiver.
moosepaw

Minnesota Hockey best kept secret

Post by moosepaw »

Yes to really make sure if anyone has any concerns not to be worried about any rules or rule changes, you can play wherever you feel is the right opportunity for your kid. This is something Minnedota Hockey wants to make it look like it has structure and guidelines but knows it is one of the toughest to manage legally.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Hockeyfan2000 wrote:Froggy Richards - However the lead in sentence is as follows:

Players who change schools without a related change of residence shall elect one of the following:

Player in my fact situation has never changed school. So the rule shouldn't apply.

The Exiled One - In order to move back to Association of Residence and play at the highest level, the player must give notice one year in advance. So in order to do what you said, the player would have to give notice immediately upon receiving the school waiver.
That's true, you have a good point. Really no sense speculating on it. Send your District Director an e-mail and ask. Ultimately, as has been mentioned on here, they are the ones that will decide and whatever they say is final.