I find myself Rooting Against Hermantown - I think

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

Sotaboy wrote:Congrats to Plante on 6 straight..... gotta move up bud
Where's the calls for EGF to move up? They have twice as many state titles in 2 years as Hermantown has in tourney history. Haters just gotta hate! Both teams were evenly matched in a great game and both are playing right where they should be and are small public schools just what class A was created for. Congrats to both teams!!
rainier

Post by rainier »

Northhcky wrote:
Where's the calls for EGF to move up? They have twice as many state titles in 2 years as Hermantown has in tourney history. Haters just gotta hate! Both teams were evenly matched in a great game and both are playing right where they should be and are small public schools just what class A was created for. Congrats to both teams!!
EGF had a couple excellent classes in a row for this great run, but now it will drop off for them in a down cycle, as it does for 99% of teams in A. Their bantam team didn't even make it to state in single A.

Hermantown puts this kind of team out every year for t least the past decade, with no end in sight. Plus their youth teams play AA and would dominate in A at the youth levels if they played "where they belong".

EGF could have competed well in AA the past two years, whereas Hermantown could do it every year.

Apples to oranges.
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

Should Hermantown be playing AA? Probably. As a guy that loves northern teams I have been cheering against them when they play other northerners recently. However, days like today made me hope they would win. Gotta feel for these kids that have made it year after year only to play STA super teams and then East Grand Forks' best teams in school history. All of this causing them to finish second year after year in some heart breaking fashion.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Northhcky wrote:
Somebody from EGF told me that on last year's team, every kid was born and raised in EGF. Not sure about this year's team. That is why nobody calls for them to move up. Plus, they didn't just become the first team in MN High School hockey history to make the Championship game 6 times in a row.
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
Somebody from EGF told me that on last year's team, every kid was born and raised in EGF. Not sure about this year's team. That is why nobody calls for them to move up. Plus, they didn't just become the first team in MN High School hockey history to make the Championship game 6 times in a row.
I don't know if that is a fact or not if they were all born there. Would be rare if it was because ppl move all the time but if true thats great the kids have all played their youth hockey together. What i can't stomach is all the ppl on here all the way back to 07 when Hermantown won state saying they recruit and have kids from the range, proctor, duluth and god only knows where else. So a family moves and buys a house in Hermantown for what ever reason and have a child thats plays hockey what he shouldn't be able to because he wasn't born in Hermantown? Is that the new standard now to play HS sports that you have to be born there? Any new enrolles now have to show a Hermantown tax statement to show they physically live there, isn't that enough anymore? In these posts about Hermantown i have heard the names of Pionk, LeBlanc and others about the weren't from Hermantown because they weren't born there. They all played at Hermantown since mini-mites so what does that have anything to do with it. Hermantown has not had open enrollment at the HS for years because is is so crowded. That is why they just broke ground on the new HS. Sure ppl have moved to Hermantown, it's a great community with great schools in a semi rural setting so there is a draw for other reasons than hockey. Ppl moving from out of town move there for those reasons so the community is growing. Many on here post just to accuse Hermantown of taking kids from other ares making it sound like they recruit from surrounding schools and they enroll there. Simply not true. They have to physically live in Hermantown. There "might" be some students at the lower grade levels that are open enrolled when there was open enrollment at the elementary and middle schools but the HS there has been none for years. I remember all this started in 07 about they weren't all from Hermantown and that was complete BS. They all played their youth hockey together since mini-mites also. It has just got worse every year by ppl that know nothing about Hermantown and don't live anywhere near there but just want to stir up the pot. They should spend their energy working with the young players 12 months a year and building 5 ouside rinks and working daily creating what the parents have done in Hermantown in their home towns instead of whining and trying to tear down one of the most succesful programs in the state.
Froggy Richards

Northhcky wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
Northhcky wrote: Where's the calls for EGF to move up? They have twice as many state titles in 2 years as Hermantown has in tourney history. Haters just gotta hate! Both teams were evenly matched in a great game and both are playing right where they should be and are small public schools just what class A was created for. Congrats to both teams!!
I don't know if that is a fact or not if they were all born there. Would be rare if it was because ppl move all the time but if true thats great the kids have all played their youth hockey together. What i can't stomach is all the ppl on here all the way back to 07 when Hermantown won state saying they recruit and have kids from the range, proctor, duluth and god only knows where else. So a family moves and buys a house in Hermantown for what ever reason and have a child thats plays hockey what he shouldn't be able to because he wasn't born in Hermantown? In these posts about Hermantown i have heard the names of Pionk, LeBlanc and others about the weren't from Hermantown because they weren't born there. They all played at Hermantown since mini-mites so what does that have anything to do with it. Hermantown has not had open enrollment at the HS for years because is is so crowded. That is why they just broke ground on the new HS. Sure ppl have moved to Hermantown, it's a great community with great schools in a semi rural setting so there is a draw for other reasons than hockey. Ppl moving from out of town move there for those reasons so the community is growing. Many on here post just to accuse Hermantown of taking kids from other ares making it sound like they recruit from surrounding schools and they enroll there. Simply not true. They have to physically live in Hermantown. There "might" be some students at the lower grade levels that are open enrolled when there was open enrollment at the elementary and middle schools but the HS there has been none for years. I remember all this started in 07 about they weren't all from Hermantown and that was complete BS. They all played their youth hockey together since mini-mites also. It has just got worse every year by ppl that know nothing about Hermantown and don't live anywhere near there but just want to stir up the pot. They should spend their energy working with the young players 12 months a year and building 5 ouside rinks and working daily creating what the parents have done in Hermantown in their home towns instead of whining and trying to tear down on of the most succesful programs in the state.
I'm just answering your question, that's why nobody is calling for EGF to move up. Most people have a lot of respect for Hermantown's program on here, never heard anyone try to tear them down. Pionk has played there a long time. His Dad moved the family there after he was done coaching in Juniors. If you heard that, it's probably because the Pionk family has a street named after them in Proctor and have quite the legacy there. Scott played High School hockey there. They're all still there except for Scott's family. Nate's cousin Dylan played on the Proctor High School team this year. LeBlanc played in Proctor through Squirts, his Dad was the High School coach there. Then he went to Hermantown so he was there awhile. Parker Hawk is another Proctor kid who went there after PeeWees. His sisters still go to school in Proctor, so that kind of shoots the whole, "moved a couple miles for reasons other than Hockey." theory. He scored a big goal today. Wyatt Aamodt has never lived in the Hermantown School District but has played there a long time. He lives in the Proctor district and is an open-enrollee. He had a big goal today too. The Hibbing kid scored to get them to overtime. Samberg and Judnick are Proctor kids too. They've built a great program so parents want their kids to play there. That isn't their fault. But that's why they are different than EGF.
Last edited by Froggy Richards on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tezer13

Post by tezer13 »

In the end I found myself cheering for Hermantown.
Great game by two good teams.

Do I think they should still be AA - YES.

But my reasons are because I mainly want a Northern Section 7. Hermantown moving up adds one more team. And I believe if they do move up it gives another 7A team a chance to build their program...AND THEN MOVE UP.

It should be a compliment to have everyone think you can not only compete, but succeed at AA.

As to East Grand Forks - I don't know anything about their numbers. Section 8 is mostly northern. Now if that starts changing, I would think the hockey people there would push for the same thing from EGF and Warroad
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

They have to show property tax records for Hermantown in order to play? How about a rental lease? Don't make "factual" statements that can be obviously disproven.
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:They have to show property tax records for Hermantown in order to play? How about a rental lease? Don't make "factual" statements that can be obviously disproven.

Ok a tax statement or a "rental lease". I stand corrected Wow!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Your point was, if I'm not mistaken, they don't "recruit." My point, obviously, is that they do.
Still a great program and a great season. No need to argue their "authenticity."
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote: Somebody from EGF told me that on last year's team, every kid was born and raised in EGF. Not sure about this year's team. That is why nobody calls for them to move up. Plus, they didn't just become the first team in MN High School hockey history to make the Championship game 6 times in a row.
I don't know if that is a fact or not if they were all born there. Would be rare if it was because ppl move all the time but if true thats great the kids have all played their youth hockey together. What i can't stomach is all the ppl on here all the way back to 07 when Hermantown won state saying they recruit and have kids from the range, proctor, duluth and god only knows where else. So a family moves and buys a house in Hermantown for what ever reason and have a child thats plays hockey what he shouldn't be able to because he wasn't born in Hermantown? In these posts about Hermantown i have heard the names of Pionk, LeBlanc and others about the weren't from Hermantown because they weren't born there. They all played at Hermantown since mini-mites so what does that have anything to do with it. Hermantown has not had open enrollment at the HS for years because is is so crowded. That is why they just broke ground on the new HS. Sure ppl have moved to Hermantown, it's a great community with great schools in a semi rural setting so there is a draw for other reasons than hockey. Ppl moving from out of town move there for those reasons so the community is growing. Many on here post just to accuse Hermantown of taking kids from other ares making it sound like they recruit from surrounding schools and they enroll there. Simply not true. They have to physically live in Hermantown. There "might" be some students at the lower grade levels that are open enrolled when there was open enrollment at the elementary and middle schools but the HS there has been none for years. I remember all this started in 07 about they weren't all from Hermantown and that was complete BS. They all played their youth hockey together since mini-mites also. It has just got worse every year by ppl that know nothing about Hermantown and don't live anywhere near there but just want to stir up the pot. They should spend their energy working with the young players 12 months a year and building 5 ouside rinks and working daily creating what the parents have done in Hermantown in their home towns instead of whining and trying to tear down on of the most succesful programs in the state.
I'm just answering your question, that's why nobody is calling for EGF to move up. Most people have a lot of respect for Hermantown's program on here, never heard anyone try to tear them down. Pionk has played there a long time. His Dad moved the family there after he was done coaching in Juniors. If you heard that, it's probably because the Pionk family has a street named after them in Proctor and have quite the legacy there. Scott played High School hockey there. They're all still there except for Scott's family. Nate's cousin Dylan played on the Proctor High School team this year. LeBlanc played in Proctor through Squirts, his Dad was the High School coach there. Then he went to Hermantown so he was there awhile. Parker Hawk is another Proctor kid who went there after PeeWees. His sisters still go to school in Proctor, so that kind of shoots the whole, "moved a couple miles for reasons other than Hockey." theory. He scored a big goal today. Wyatt Aamodt has never lived in the Hermantown School District but has played there a long time. He lives in the Proctor district and is an open-enrollee. He had a big goal today too. The Hibbing kid scored to get them to overtime. Samberg and Judnick are Proctor kids too. They've built a great program so parents want their kids to play there. That isn't their fault. But that's why they are different than EGF.
Noones trying to tear them down? Have you read the acusations in the last 6 pages? Like i said why do ppl like Pionks and LeBlancs come up and the other kids you mentioned? Yes Pionk built a house in Hermantown when he moved back here when his oldest Neil was a mini-mite. LeBlanc moved to Hermantown when he got a teaching job there when Drew was a squirt like you say. A couple kids open enrolled when the were in 6th or 7th grade when like i said there was open enrollment at the lower grades. Then you call the one kid "the Hibbing kid" his parents moved to Hermantown. Correct? So what if his dad is ok driving to Hibbing to work.
Why are these issues even coming up is what i am trying to say? I don't read other posts about this school or that school so called "recruiting" other than the privates and they have to or they wouldn't have teams. Why have the Pionks and LeBlancs names come up? Did they recruit them as mini-mites or squirts knowing they would be good players? Thats insane. The other kids that you mentioned...were they recruited in 5th or 6th grades also? There is posts that Hermantown takes kids from the entire Duluth and surrounding ares through open enrollment and that simply isn't true is what i'm saying. Like i said why have some of these names and issues come up with ppl that have lived in Hermantown since their kids were in elementary school saying they are not from Hermantown making it sound like they were recruited just to play on the varsity hockey team. The only reason it could possibly be is to give a great program a black eye.
statein07

Post by statein07 »

Thunderstruck wrote:
statein07 wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:Well last yr one of your defensive pairs at hermantown was a kid from Hibbing and a kid from Virginia. Whose dads still commute to the range for work.
And they lived in Hermantown and their families live in Hermantown...
Moved there to play hockey!!! Enough said.
Wow that's a bold statement considering one of the family members in question took a high position at a Duluth based company but you know all lol tool
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

[quote="Nevertoomuchhockey"]Your point was, if I'm not mistaken, they don't "recruit." My point, obviously, is that they do.
Still a great program and a great season. No need to argue their "authenticity."[/quote

So prove your point. Who on the HS team was recruited? How does having to have a lease or a tax statement to prove residency make it obvious they recruit? And if you believe that Coach Plante would go out and recuit players from other areas and cut Hermantown kids that have played here all their lives you know nothing about him as a coach or a man! He does everything he can to keep seniors around even for the 4th line just so they get to play varsity 1 year. And the people in Hermantown would never stand for it. HAHA is a tightknit group and they would of had his head years ago if he pulled something like that.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Wether you like Hermantown, or the coach, I dont know how you couldn't feel bad for those kids.... Heck of a run Hawks and congratulations!
Froggy Richards

Northhcky wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
Northhcky wrote:

Noones trying to tear them down? Have you read the acusations in the last 6 pages? Like i said why do ppl like Pionks and LeBlancs come up and the other kids you mentioned? Yes Pionk built a house in Hermantown when he moved back here when his oldest Neil was a mini-mite. LeBlanc moved to Hermantown when he got a teaching job there when Drew was a squirt like you say. A couple kids open enrolled when the were in 6th or 7th grade when like i said there was open enrollment at the lower grades. Then you call the one kid "the Hibbing kid" his parents moved to Hermantown. Correct? So what if his dad is ok driving to Hibbing to work.
Why are these issues even coming up is what i am trying to say? I don't read other posts about this school or that school so called "recruiting" other than the privates and they have to or they wouldn't have teams. Why have the Pionks and LeBlancs names come up? Did they recruit them as mini-mites or squirts knowing they would be good players? Thats insane. The other kids that you mentioned...were they recruited in 5th or 6th grades also? There is posts that Hermantown takes kids from the entire Duluth and surrounding ares through open enrollment and that simply isn't true is what i'm saying. Like i said why have some of these names and issues come up with ppl that have lived in Hermantown since their kids were in elementary school saying they are not from Hermantown making it sound like they were recruited just to play on the varsity hockey team. The only reason it could possibly be is to give a great program a black eye.
I don't recall Pionk or LeBlancs name coming up but maybe you're right. 3 out of the 4 Proctor kids I mentioned all went there for Hockey. Aamodt has been there since kindergarten. I only brought him up because you said you have to live in Hermantown to play there. Not true, he's never lived there. Open enrollment is still open at the lower grades. There are kids on Mites, Squirts and PeeWees that are open-enrolled right now from Piedmont, GMP, Proctor, Pike Lake, Twig and Saginaw that I'm aware of. Not bashing Hermantown, but you're not entitled to your own facts. None of them were recruited to my knowledge but all went there for Hockey. Again, the difference between EGF and them. You asked the question.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Northhcky wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Your point was, if I'm not mistaken, they don't "recruit." My point, obviously, is that they do.
Still a great program and a great season. No need to argue their "authenticity."[/quote

So prove your point. Who on the HS team was recruited? How does having to have a lease or a tax statement to prove residency make it obvious they recruit? And if you believe that Coach Plante would go out and recuit players from other areas and cut Hermantown kids that have played here all their lives you know nothing about him as a coach or a man! He does everything he can to keep seniors around even for the 4th line just so they get to play varsity 1 year. And the people in Hermantown would never stand for it. HAHA is a tightknit group and they would of had his head years ago if he pulled something like that.
I am not going to name names on this board. Obviously down here we are not as familiar with the history of every player like you are, but even from 150 miles away I can name 2 boys and 2 girls who are playing for you and only live there on paper.
But I'm not calling you out. Your team's talent and record stands for itself. I'm just trying to say that you don't need to prop up your reputation with this "homegrown" argument.
And your coach school community wants to win. As much or more than any program with a strong hockey tradition. To claim your coach or the city of Hermantown would not stand for their been-a-hawk-since-birth kids making room for big time players - "heads would roll" - that's insincerity and insanity. They want to play in the tourney. They want to win the tourney. I know you aren't that naive to think that if Howg or Altman or Worth "moved" to Hermantown and signed a lease down the road from the school, they'd sit or be denied playing time ON PRINCIPAL.
Doth protest too much.
statein07

Post by statein07 »

Leblanc lived in Hermantown played mini-mites through hs... he lived on the same road I did. Seriously you guys are really grasping for straws on this and btw pionk lives in htown too same situation as far as hickey goes too
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

defense wrote:
hshockeyfan53 wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:37 is plenty healthy!! Especially if that is 10-12. There are lots of AA schools that would love to have those numbers. That's not to mention I am sure a few quit or chose not to try out.
No it's not. Considering that a normal hockey team consists of 20 players and you can't have guys playing six periods of hockey every game day so if teams wanted to, they couldn't run 4 lines because guys would go over their limit. I believe the MSHSL limit is 4 periods of play per day. There are tons of schools throughout the state that only get 30-40 kids to tryout and they too are at a disadvantage when compared to some of the metro schools with enrollments of 2000+ kids.
No one in outstate MN can compare numbers with the suburban huge schools, but that doesn't mean that 37 high schoolers trying out for hockey and two got cut is hurting at all. And the question remains , why cut then??
Compared to 7AA Elk River - This year, no cuts, I think it was 35 total that tried out. Last year was low thirties. Not all METRO AA schools have the huge numbers.....
Froggy Richards

statein07 wrote:Leblanc lived in Hermantown played mini-mites through hs... he lived on the same road I did. Seriously you guys are really grasping for straws on this and btw pionk lives in htown too same situation as far as hickey goes too
Nrthhockey was talking about the older LeBlanc kid, not the younger one. He played in Proctor through Squirts just like Nrth said. And nobody has ever disputed that he and Pionk eventually lived in Hermantown. Not sure what thread you're reading.
statein07

Post by statein07 »

Froggy Richards wrote:
statein07 wrote:Leblanc lived in Hermantown played mini-mites through hs... he lived on the same road I did. Seriously you guys are really grasping for straws on this and btw pionk lives in htown too same situation as far as hickey goes too
Nrthhockey was talking about the older LeBlanc kid, not the younger one. He played in Proctor through Squirts just like Nrth said. And nobody has ever disputed that he and Pionk eventually lived in Hermantown. Not sure what thread you're reading.
if you're regarding drew, I played with drew from squirts through high school he lived in Hermantown that whole time. Not sure which leblanc your referring to but I have known the family since I was born so quit blowing smoke out of your backside
Froggy Richards

statein07 wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
if you're regarding drew, I played with drew from squirts through high school he lived in Hermantown that whole time. Not sure which leblanc your referring to but I have known the family since I was born so quit blowing smoke out of your backside
What are you reading, I said he moved there when he was a Squirt. Nrth, who is a Hermantown guy said the same thing. He said his Dad got a teaching job there and he moved there. Who said he didn't live there? Not sure why it matters anyway. He has nothing to do with the question about EGF. I didn't bring his name up.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

The agenda of Froggy and Rainier is simply to get Hermantown out of 7A so their teams have a better chance of getting to state. It's getting pretty pathetic. If you said some of the things on here to my face like "Plante Recruits" I would have a hard time not punching you in yours. That is simply bs and slandering his character. Not sure about Denfeld but what I hear about Hibbing you need to strengthen your youth and HS off season programs. How do you expect to compete if your boys are not working out / skating most of the year? All the top programs I know about do. I guess it's just easier to come on here and slander a quality program and try to force a legitimate class A school to opt up so your lame program can have a chance to get out of sections. Keep on beating this dead horse I think people are starting to see you for what you are. You 2 are the winers and what respect I had for your programs is now gone.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

pekyman wrote:I guess it's just easier to come on here and slander a quality program and try to force a legitimate class A school to opt up so your lame program can have a chance to get out of sections.
Want to define what this means to you? Just curious.
Last edited by thestickler07 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

MWS coach wrote:
defense wrote:
hshockeyfan53 wrote: No it's not. Considering that a normal hockey team consists of 20 players and you can't have guys playing six periods of hockey every game day so if teams wanted to, they couldn't run 4 lines because guys would go over their limit. I believe the MSHSL limit is 4 periods of play per day. There are tons of schools throughout the state that only get 30-40 kids to tryout and they too are at a disadvantage when compared to some of the metro schools with enrollments of 2000+ kids.
No one in outstate MN can compare numbers with the suburban huge schools, but that doesn't mean that 37 high schoolers trying out for hockey and two got cut is hurting at all. And the question remains , why cut then??
Compared to 7AA Elk River - This year, no cuts, I think it was 35 total that tried out. Last year was low thirties. Not all METRO AA schools have the huge numbers.....
Elk River has 4 BN 5 PW
Herm 3 BN 3 PW
Hibbing 2 BN 3 PW
East 5 BN 6 PW

Next year Herm will have 2 BN and 3 maybe 4 PW.
Last edited by pekyman on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:The agenda of Froggy and Rainier is simply to get Hermantown out of 7A so their teams have a better chance of getting to state. It's getting pretty pathetic. If you said some of the things on here to my face like "Plante Recruits" I would have a hard time not punching you in yours. That is simply bs and slandering his character. Not sure about Denfeld but what I hear about Hibbing you need to strengthen your youth and HS off season programs. How do you expect to compete if your boys are not working out / skating most of the year? All the top programs I know about do. I guess it's just easier to come on here and slander a quality program and try to force a legitimate class A school to opt up so your lame program can have a chance to get out of sections. Keep on beating this dead horse I think people are starting to see you for what you are. You 2 are the winers and what respect I had for your programs is now gone.
By far we are not the only ones calling for Hermantown to move up. Go ahead, look through the thread and you will see plenty of others saying the same thing. It was a topic of discussion of KFAN , for god's sake. It is obvious.

Why did you want STA out of Class A? Could it be so that your team had a better chance of winning state? Not as fun when you're the target, huh?

I've never said Hermantown isn't a legitimate A school. What I've said is that because they can compete well in AA, which is obvious to everyone except you, that they should. That, and if they can do it at the youth levels then they can do it at the high school level.

Can you answer that question? If Hermantown is indeed a "legitimate" A school (which I agree that they are), then why don't they play A at youth levels? Why don't you tell us why your Hawks shouldn't play in AA or why they shouldn't be in A at the youth level? It would be better than the threats and name-calling you engage in now.