Yuro?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Re: 1999 son LOVES Yuro - more than drills - taught behavior

Post by MrBoDangles »

Burningdude wrote:We were part of the expansion Northern Edge Reebok Nationals team in the Fargo Moorhead area for the summer of 2012 - Minnkota Nationals (NATS). As part of our program fee we had a TEAM ONLY week long summer hockey camp. I do feel he was worth the Money - we estimated the week long camp was about a 500-600 value - camp ran from 8-4 daily - with about half the time being "on-ice". We popped up for a day to watch how things shook out.

Is Yuro a yeller and screamer ??- umm, yup. But that is what my boy needs!! He makes sure every kid understands the drill and does it correctly. He will single out someone who is doing a drill wrong, but only to show them the right way. Embarassing?? - certainly to a sensative type...But like follow the leader...one kid does it wrong --the next kid only follows the kid ahead of him and before you know it the drill looks nothing like it did at the beginning (sorta like the old "telephone" game). My son had no issue with being directed to the proper way - and he was corrected plenty.

Yuro is intense and demanding, I only wish some of our coaches had 20% of that energy. He demands attention, respect, respect for coaches, for your other teammates and he taught "real life" values and how to behave Our camp wasn't just about the drills - he talked to the kids about how you go into the penalty box. He told the kids you go into the box not blaming the refs, no swearing/yelling, no pounding sticks or fists, or moping. You talk positive when entering the box to your teammates - (in a dramatized example by Yuro...and wording to the best of my recollection was....) "Sorry boys, my bad, my bad, but lets get out there and kill this penalty. go get em, lets get em boys." He encouraged the behavior of the kids to be positive rather than negative. He did a comparison dramatization of the WRONG way to enter the box... angry, slamming sticks, screaming, hanging heads. It was humerous as heck of course, but very effective none the less. He doesn't just stand and preach - he shows and tells, he does a drill, acts out a speech on behavior, puts it at thier level to understand.

He TAUGHT kids about behaviors and encouraging words , to talk to teammates constantly on the ice and from the bench. He did drills that involved TALKING - yes talking or you didn't get the pass! Yes drills were stopped, and a new "lesson" on behavior or "lack of" behavior was instilled...but we just thought he was amazing.

dry heads - LMAO - never!!

He is not for the faint at heart....but he was dealing with one of his AAA teams. They know what they are there for and it is intense. In our ASSOCIATION- I could almost tell you who would have had a problem with him because I know our kids so well. I will also add they are the same kids that we have problems with thier parents too! Funny how that spirals downward.

as far as telling or teaching? What is the difference? School Teachers tell us crap all day long- if it doesn't stick in our brain is that the fault of the teacher? I think not, it is our desire to LEARn and to listen and not "know it all" - that makes us teachable. COACHES AND KIDS have to take what the are TAUGHt and apply it. My kid still can't keep two hands on his stick and his blade on the ice, and Yuro chewed him plenty...years of bad habits don't go away with a week long camp or an hour long session. Don't be a drop and run parent--stay and WATCH thier session...see what Yuro is teaching and drill it into your kids head after that.

As far as the stick on the ice thing with us - I am considering duct-taping both his hands on the stick and putting a brick on the blade and make him skate for an hour every day this way!!!
The forum should really get some money for this advertisement.
mnhcp

Post by mnhcp »

My kid hadnt' skated with Yuro for a number of years (3-4 years?).

My kid skated alot during the Yuro summer camps when Northern Edge camps were the way to go (before they started focusing on AAA NATS).

As my kid got older, now in High School my kid drifted and tried other MANY other summer training options. You name it my kid tried it: Turcotte, Bjugstad, Karn, Skinner, Shattuck, Minnesota Made, the list goes ON and ON and trust me there are many more.

This fall after a long absence my kid skated a few more with Yuro. Needless to say, he's still the best drills coach (as I've never seen him any other capacity)!!! Tempo is one practice area that is consistantly overlooked by many Association Coaches and other camps! He get's more mileage out of an hour of ice then anyone or any clinic.
Last edited by mnhcp on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
no5hole

Post by no5hole »

He should break off on his own and call it Yuro American.
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

mnhcp wrote:
As my kid got older, now in High School
This fall after a long absence my kid skated a few more with Yuro. he's still the best drills coach (as I've never seen him any other capacity)!!!.

:roll:
Chazotic

Smoke in mirrors

Post by Chazotic »

This is what your paying for..one step above of Bernie McBain..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=64044
gardetto

Re: Smoke in mirrors

Post by gardetto »

Chazotic wrote:This is what your paying for..one step above of Bernie McBain..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=64044
And your point is? Stats mean what????? What kind of stats does the roseau rams head coach have???? how many time has he had his team to state?

MANY coaches have never played the game BUT they can FLAT @$$ coach Top notch person. and there program is growing

http://northerneducate.com/
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolpage2.asp?school=918

Home of the Acers
Irish

Post by Irish »

I have an idea..............

If you agree with Yuro - skate with Yuro............
If you don't agree with his style then don't skate with Yuro............ Simple as that!

Yuro does do a great job with hockey development. If you want some one who will blow smoke up your arse there are many other programs willing to do that.
oldtimer64

Post by oldtimer64 »

What ever happened to this legend of development?
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

oldtimer64 wrote:What ever happened to this legend of development?
He is at Gentry Academy
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Gentry ?
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

Gentry Academy is out of the Schwans super rink, they took over the space that the last hockey academy that failed was using. They also have Sean Skinner as a stick handling coach.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Crusty wrote:Gentry Academy is out of the Schwans super rink, they took over the space that the last hockey academy that failed was using. They also have Sean Skinner as a stick handling coach.
In 2015-16, Joe Dziedzic will be another Director there and helps on the ice, and O/S (Winny Brodt Brown's program) will work with the girls.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

jg2112 wrote:
Crusty wrote:Gentry Academy is out of the Schwans super rink, they took over the space that the last hockey academy that failed was using. They also have Sean Skinner as a stick handling coach.
In 2015-16, Joe Dziedzic will be another Director there and helps on the ice, and O/S (Winny Brodt Brown's program) will work with the girls.
That doesn't surprise me, the folks that own it are very wealthy
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

He has not been at Gentry, he has been the hockey Director at Bauer-Emerson skating at Vadnais.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:He has not been at Gentry, he has been the hockey Director at Bauer-Emerson skating at Vadnais.
Crap, I knew that. My bad.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:He has not been at Gentry, he has been the hockey Director at Bauer-Emerson skating at Vadnais.
Not any more....I heard through the grapevine that BE "let go" Steve Yurichuk and Steve Briere (goalie coach) on Monday.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

That is correct information. I do not know any details, but know that is a fact.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Wow. Is there still AAA NATS program ? Where have all the Woodcrofts gone. It was a great program five short years ago !! Too bad.