Hibbing vs Greenway. Next tues.

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

rainier wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Any radio stream available for this one?
Sadly, WMFG in Hibbing does not stream games, which totally sucks. Not sure if a Greenway or Rapids station will stream it.
Thank you. Looks like KOZY has basketball tonight. Not on MSBN either.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Any updates?
green4

Post by green4 »

elliott70 wrote:Any updates?
The only update I saw on twitter had greenway up 1-0 midway through the 2nd
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

1-1 was the last I saw
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

2-2 after two
Both Hibbing goals on the PP
Greenways goals pp n even strength
From a trust worthy rat at the snake pit, Hibbing can't beat Greenway 5-5 or tonight that is anyway. Any other night probably n maybe a diff story.
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
ndirishfighting

3-2 another Hibbing pp goal
It’s just a game!
ndirishfighting

4-2 Hibbing
You guessed it on the pp
It’s just a game!
ndirishfighting

4-2 Final Hibbing
It’s just a game!
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Great game. Greenway had the upper hand until the took two penalties and were playing 3 on 5. All Hibbing goals were on the power play. Greenway has got to learn to stay out of the box. Perunovich orchestrated all the power play goals if he didn't score them himself. Based on this game, Greenway can compete with Hibbing.

I had to laugh at the guy behind me. He kept yelling for Greenway to hit Perunovich or put on body on him. Like that is easy to do. Obviously this kid was the difference in the game. Dang, he's good.
rainier

Post by rainier »

greenway1969 wrote:Great game. Greenway had the upper hand until the took two penalties and were playing 3 on 5. All Hibbing goals were on the power play. Greenway has got to learn to stay out of the box. Perunovich orchestrated all the power play goals if he didn't score them himself. Based on this game, Greenway can compete with Hibbing.

I had to laugh at the guy behind me. He kept yelling for Greenway to hit Perunovich or put on body on him. Like that is easy to do. Obviously this kid was the difference in the game. Dang, he's good.
Completely agree. Greenways defenseman were better than I expected. Two evenly matched teams.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Fun game to be at. It was nice to see such a lively crowd. Student sections were yelling and chanting all game. Almost felt like a section final atmosphere.

For the most part Greenway was a tough, gritty team that capitalized on opportunities. Not overly skilled or fast but they probably had the better of the play through 2 periods. Both goalies made some nice saves. Hibbing has some fast players that are good puck handlers. They are good on the breakout but Greenway defended pretty well in front of their net. Greenway was god awful on the penalty kill. They just stood there and watched Hibbing work the puck around. I didn't think Hibbing was impressive on the power play, way too much standing around passing and not moving their feet, but they made it work. I thought Greenway would have more energy in the third but they kind of fizzled out, less physical than the first two periods, maybe they were timid about taking more penalties.

Perunovich is a nice player, quick feet, good stick, good vision. Sometimes he gets lazy on the ice though. Relies on his quick legs to bail him out instead of putting himself in a better position initially.

Looking forward to the Rapids-Hibbing game.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Sounds like it was a good game to attend. Packed house?
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Yup, the arena was full. Hibbing brought a lot of fans.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

greenway1969 wrote:Yup, the arena was full. Hibbing brought a lot of fans.
I really hope this is the matchup for the late game of the 7A Semi-finals at Amsoil Arena, with Denfeld/Hermantown at 6:00.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
ndirishfighting

My number one question with a lot of others are curious I would think, can anyone challenge n knock those damn Plante n Hawks off the top of the mountain?
It’s just a game!
rainier

Post by rainier »

Man, that was a fun game. Packed house, passionate fans, two evenly matched teams, just great.

I thought Greenway was the better team 5 on 5 through most of the first two periods, but Hibbing looked stronger in the third.

I agree with northbear, neither the Greenway pk nor the Hibbing pp looked good. I think Greenway's strategy was to just play conservatively on the pk and bunch in tight around the net; I rarely if ever saw a Greenway player pressure the puck. The strategy worked in as far as I don't think Hibbing ever got a pass through the middle and they were kept completely to the outside, but unfortunately for Greenway, Perunovich and Lee were able to find the net with some longer wrist shots. Bestul's goal was the only one that came from close in.

LaDoux was very solid and under control; can't fault him for letting in some pp goals from the outside when he had a ton of bodies in front of him. Ullan also looked relaxed and in control, something great to see from a freshman.

Lantz has excellent hands and he came so close to springing himself free near the net several times using some nifty moves, but Hibbing was able to get their sticks in there just enough to keep him from getting clean looks.

Perunovich was his usual self, weaving and dancing his way all over the ice. He's always fun to watch.

Hibbing looked stronger in the third period, as they got more zone time and they killed Greenway's last pp with relative ease. I think Hibbing's depth was the difference in that last period, as they played three lines pretty consistently the whole game, while I feel Greenway's top line was seeing more ice throughout the game and they did look pretty gassed as the third went on.

The main thing I take from this game is how fun it had to be for those kids. A raucous standing room only crowd, student sections chanting and needling each other, and important seeding considerations on the line. I doubt any of them have played in an atmosphere like this before, and they'll never forget it.

I can't wait for the rematch in Hibbing. I think that building will be as full as it has been in a long time.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Maybe the thinking on the pk was to give Perunovich less room to operate. Greenway was tired in the 3rd. It was a combination of relying too much on the first line and having to kill penalties. It's the same players that keep getting the penalties. Hope they get a talking to by Coach Clafton.
howardst

Post by howardst »

wow what a game!!!! I do agree with most of the assessments. Hibbing scores 4 on pp that was a improvement for them. 5 on 5 favored greenway I believe. Penaltys really played the biggest role. In the secnd period when Hibb killed a penalty with there 1st line they got caught out there vs Greenways fresh 3rd line and the jackets escaped not giving one up, the boys were gassed. Peruni does carry our jackets no question but in my eyes the player of the game was Ullan. He stopped 3 breakaways on the night. He was amazing when they needed him. Shots in the first period were 11-5 greenway with both teams failing on a pp. Second period the penaltys took over and that is where the shots turned our way. Looking at the final shot tally and how many were on the pp it makes me wonder how this turns out if number 10 from greenway didnt conitually find his way to the box. Heck I bet Clafton is wild. All of his penaltys were in the neutral zone of offensive end. That is a absolute no no with peruni!!!!!! The raiders penalty kill plan was surely to clog the middle and let the jackets throw it around high and out. Interesting. Final take - 2 very even teams that the winner will come from the team that does not go to the box. PK will wear you out!!!!!!
rainier

Post by rainier »

greenway1969 wrote:Maybe the thinking on the pk was to give Perunovich less room to operate. Greenway was tired in the 3rd. It was a combination of relying too much on the first line and having to kill penalties. It's the same players that keep getting the penalties. Hope they get a talking to by Coach Clafton.
I agree with both greenway169 and howardst, the pk did finally wear the Raiders' top guns down, and hopefully the kid that got 3 of the 5 penalties will learn from the experience.

I also think Greenway was primarily keeping Perunovich out of the middle. His specialty is threading the needle to an open teammate at the side of the net, and Greenway was not going to give any lanes for that to happen.

As a Hibbing fan, Ullan has been everything one could have asked for as a freshman. He's played a third of a varsity season now and his numbers are among the best in the state. He'll be needed to bail out the defense as the season goes along.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Perhaps the best testament to how much fun this game was was how my old high school buddy reacted to the atmosphere. He left the Range after high school, would never come back and has less than zero interest in the Range and/or hockey, but he was in town for the holidays and I forced him to come to the game with me.

He went from giving me crap for being a big HS hockey fan to fist-pumping and high-fiving when Hibbing scored. Couldn't resist the electricity in that building-it was great.