Warm-up approved

pocketkk

rule

Post by pocketkk »

The no warmup rule was put in place not so long ago. It was stupid and I don't know exactly what the purpose was. To speed the game up was one potential benefit, but I think the main thing was to keep oposing players from interacting during the warmup. Before the rule was inacted, both teams would circle the entire ice together before each period started. There will not be pucks for these warmups, the purpose is to get the players warmed up after sitting. It's great to get it back to the way it was. Every other sport lets you warm back up after intermission. I can't believe they were ever able to disallow warmups in hockey. It was one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. <p></p><i></i>
pocketkk

And no cheerleaders

Post by pocketkk »

unless they are hot <p></p><i></i>
Gphrhcky22

Puckguy

Post by Gphrhcky22 »

Puckguy, lets just say I work "very closely' with referees all season long and some guys love the 5 second rule because it keeps a good game flowing, but a lot of guys hate it for various reasons. I guess you are the expert since you are a referee? Personally, I think the 5 second rule is a good rule.<br><br>I hope the refs didn't push for the one minute warmup. A few years ago, the MSHSL decides players can't skate around before the start of a period, now they are mandating a one minute warmup before each period. Pick one side or the other. Better yet, just leave this great game alone. <p></p><i></i>
Gphrhcky22

pocketkk

Post by Gphrhcky22 »

I agree with pocketkk, get it back the way it used to be. A quick skate AND hot cheerleaders! <p></p><i></i>
ref101

Re: one minute warm-up

Post by ref101 »

As a ref, I really don't care if there is a warm-up or not, I don't make it home for the 10 o'clock news anyways...!<br><br>There's some argument about the "time" it saves (not having the warm-up), but it really doesn't. Since the rule went into effect, we've had another problem with the start of the second and third periods... wet ice. Depending on the arena, I've waited as long as 5+ minutes waiting for the ice to set-up. I've even asked the players to skate around to help freeze up the ice (the little wind the players create, really does help). This is more prevalent in the girls game, knowing the puck is more capable of "sticking" in the wrong place at the wrong time. <br><br>Throw out the "time" saving factor, give the players their one minute skate, but keep the dang cheerleaders OFF the ice!<br> <p></p><i></i>
bigcurve961

Post by bigcurve961 »

If we keep in mind the game is for the players and fans, most of the "dumb" rules would go by the way side. But then we'd still have our opinions on which ones they are or were..<br><br>One minute warm ups have no bearing on stretching related injuries. That needs to get handled before coming onto the ice. It will probably help square away nerves or dry up some over achieving zamboni work. Either way, makes no difference to me or in the game. If it's better for the kids, and they can act like adults during the warm up everything is good.<br><br>The 5-5-5 rule is tough to control for newer officials and does even the playing field for the teams that try to slow the pace of the game down in an effort to shift momentum. Is that good coaching, or a bad habit? That's also up for discussion depending on who is asked?<br><br>The game is for fun and competition. Not complaining about every call made on the ice, or head hunting the opposing team. Those are two bigger issues in the sport that get lost in the backround most times. <p></p><i></i>
scottparker

Post by scottparker »

"The game is for fun and competition. Not complaining about every call made on the ice, or head hunting the opposing team. Those are two bigger issues in the sport that get lost in the backround most times."<br><br>Amen!!!! <p></p><i></i>