Section 7AA Seeds

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

MWS coach wrote:In the words of President Trump, sounds like a corrupt system to me. :shock:
Fake News! Sad!
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

greenwayraider wrote:I don't see how this benefits East. The way Rapids is playing now, Cloquet is a much tougher draw. Add the rivalry factor and you have a much more difficult game for East. Also, if memory serves me right, Cloquet has taken East out of the Sectionals more than Rapids has. Apparently late season performance was way more important than the entire season. I see an Elk River/Andover and East/Cloquet semis.
I'm guessing if you could get Randolph's wish list it would match the section seeding. I'm guessing at this time of year high end talent and experience of having done this last year is scarier to play than a rivalry with less experienced players.
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

I forgot that Randolph gets the only vote in how section 7AA will be seeded. Yes, I realize that I am biased, but some of you sound like Hillary supporters.

#not my section seeds!!!

Amsoil being in Duluth is definitely an advantage, but I'm not sure that advantage is big enough to determine the outcome of games. More years than not, East has been the better of the teams or at least right up there with the others. Rapids found a way to pull it out last year. Had ER not taken dumb penalties in 2015 they would have gone to state themselves. Find another arena to hold the semis and final that can house enough bodies to attend and still be a good venue.
East High Rah Rah Rah....
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The reality appears to be CEC making a case for the 3 seed. If Esse can convince some of the lower teams to buy into that he gets the seed. Who doesn't fight for what's best for themselves, this is competitive athletics. ER has proven over the course of the year to be the best team and now must get it done. I don't like the fact that GR and ER could have to play the early game. Let them play later, ER had to come up Friday last year, not ideal.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I think they did a good job seeding this section. It got a little more complicating at the end than it should have. Anyway, GR will have their hands full with Andover. I'm sure the Huskies are not intimidated whatsoever. The Injuns will need to get back to early season form to avoid a season ender on Tuesday.

If they can somehow right the ship though, the Halloween Machine could be a pretty good 4 seed. Whatever happens- it won't be boring.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Houndhockey wrote:
... but some of you sound like Hillary supporters.

#not my section seeds!!!
Top ten right there.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Houndhockey wrote:I forgot that Randolph gets the only vote in how section 7AA will be seeded. Yes, I realize that I am biased, but some of you sound like Hillary supporters.

#not my section seeds!!!

Amsoil being in Duluth is definitely an advantage, but I'm not sure that advantage is big enough to determine the outcome of games. More years than not, East has been the better of the teams or at least right up there with the others. Rapids found a way to pull it out last year. Had ER not taken dumb penalties in 2015 they would have gone to state themselves. Find another arena to hold the semis and final that can house enough bodies to attend and still be a good venue.
So a question for you to ponder, did Randolph vote for Cloquet as 3 seed? If he did was it done because he thought they were the better team with a better season, or that is whom they preferred to play?

Playing in Duluth after a 3 hour bus ride while spending the day in school is without a doubt an advantage that can determine outcome of close games.

Another arena, how about the big rink on SCSU campus? True neutral site and about as middle ground as you can get. Marriucci, piggyback on other sections, that would be a great ticket. I bet at either of those sites there is not 1000 - 1500 DE students on a Thursday night... nor is there another 1000 or so DE fans. Not looking for excuses as it is what it is, but you underestimate the advantage of having the games played in your backyard. Fans at the game and hometown crowd is the biggest advantage. You bring up 2015, yes it was a dumb penalty that started the comeback from down 3-0, when that penalty happened the place was as quiet as church. By the time it was over and the score 3-2, the house was rocking and the very large crowd definitely had an effect. When the crowd erupted after the second goal, I told the person next to me DE wins this game.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

alcloseshaver wrote:The reality appears to be CEC making a case for the 3 seed. If Esse can convince some of the lower teams to buy into that he gets the seed. Who doesn't fight for what's best for themselves, this is competitive athletics. ER has proven over the course of the year to be the best team and now must get it done. I don't like the fact that GR and ER could have to play the early game. Let them play later, ER had to come up Friday last year, not ideal.
The tougher game to travel is driving up from the Cities on Thursday afternoon after having to spend part of the day in school. The Saturday game is more apples & apples because no school attendance that day. I'm sure ER is confident they can handle whoever is put in front of them this year. But I doubt they view playing a team who beat EP & Edina (albeit in Dec) as a favorable semi-final matchup compared to the likely alternative.
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

MWS coach wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:I forgot that Randolph gets the only vote in how section 7AA will be seeded. Yes, I realize that I am biased, but some of you sound like Hillary supporters.

#not my section seeds!!!

So a question for you to ponder, did Randolph vote for Cloquet as 3 seed? If he did was it done because he thought they were the better team with a better season, or that is whom they preferred to play?

Playing in Duluth after a 3 hour bus ride while spending the day in school is without a doubt an advantage that can determine outcome of close games.

Another arena, how about the big rink on SCSU campus? True neutral site and about as middle ground as you can get. Marriucci, piggyback on other sections, that would be a great ticket. I bet at either of those sites there is not 1000 - 1500 DE students on a Thursday night... nor is there another 1000 or so DE fans. Not looking for excuses as it is what it is, but you underestimate the advantage of having the games played in your backyard. Fans at the game and hometown crowd is the biggest advantage. You bring up 2015, yes it was a dumb penalty that started the comeback from down 3-0, when that penalty happened the place was as quiet as church. By the time it was over and the score 3-2, the house was rocking and the very large crowd definitely had an effect. When the crowd erupted after the second goal, I told the person next to me DE wins this game.
Not sure about Randolph and how he voted, but again he's only 1 vote. Some of the others must have felt the same way.

As for the venue, I'm not sure it would make the difference that people want it to make. I'd be for having it at a neutral site but part of being in section 7 is being "up north". The metro already gets everything, why would we want to give them our section tourney too? Its unfortunate that Htown doesn't opt up and ER move to a different section, but right now, they play in a "northern section" so its understandable that the tournament is going to be north. The crowds on semi-Saturdays are usually very weak, and that includes East fans. Generally its the players family, a tiny student section and some locals. Opposing teams seem to travel and represent just as well. The section final is usually a little better, but when it involves GR, I don't think that either team has an advantage with the crowd.
East High Rah Rah Rah....
grindiangrad-80

I can't speak for anyone else but I am fine with Amsoil. It's a great building for sectional hockey. I can't think of a better one. Sure, East has come out on top a large percentage of the time but the reality is, is that they were just a tad better most of the time.

Nobody wants to hear about the '70's but I will tell you anyway. :)
The Injuns went to state 9 out of 10 years from 72-81. And it wasn't like they breezed through the Region 7 either. They finished 3rd in the region in 75 and went on to win state. IFalls, Virginia, Eveleth, Hibbing, Greenway and others were loaded with stars in those days. There were a ton of great players in the region tourny then.

Point being- whatever the seed and wherever the games are played, you just need to find a way.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

All sections for all games should be played at the Sanford Center in Bemidji.
puckdreams

Post by puckdreams »

Houndhockey wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

#not my section seeds!!!

Not sure about Randolph and how he voted, but again he's only 1 vote. Some of the others must have felt the same way.

As for the venue, I'm not sure it would make the difference that people want it to make. I'd be for having it at a neutral site but part of being in section 7 is being "up north". The metro already gets everything, why would we want to give them our section tourney too? Its unfortunate that Htown doesn't opt up and ER move to a different section, but right now, they play in a "northern section" so its understandable that the tournament is going to be north. The crowds on semi-Saturdays are usually very weak, and that includes East fans. Generally its the players family, a tiny student section and some locals. Opposing teams seem to travel and represent just as well. The section final is usually a little better, but when it involves GR, I don't think that either team has an advantage with the crowd.
Reasonable would be alternating the tourney site between Duluth and the north metro as it contains teams from both areas!

Current composition of this "Northern Section"
Northern teams - 4
North Metro teams - 5
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
The Injuns went to state 9 out of 10 years from 72-81. And it wasn't like they breezed through the Region 7 either. They finished 3rd in the region in 75 and went on to win state. IFalls, Virginia, Eveleth, Hibbing, Greenway and others were loaded with stars in those days. There were a ton of great players in the region tourny then.
Grin goes back to "Happy Days". :lol: Nice.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I can't speak for anyone else but I am fine with Amsoil. It's a great building for sectional hockey. I can't think of a better one. Sure, East has come out on top a large percentage of the time but the reality is, is that they were just a tad better most of the time.

The Injuns went to state 9 out of 10 years from 72-81. And it wasn't like they breezed through the Region 7 either. They finished
3rd in the region in 75 and went on to win state. IFalls, Virginia, Eveleth, Hibbing, Greenway and others were loaded with stars in those days. There were a ton of great players in the region tourny then.

Point being- whatever the seed and wherever the games are played, you just need to find a way.
They did not breeze through the regions. They did not even win the regions in 72 & 73, but went to state via the 'back door' in 72.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Impressive storage of old useless trivia Elliott. I thought I was the only one to remember losing to I Falls in the region final AND state final.
Back then there were not enough teams and regions to fill an 8 team state tourney. The back door used to rotate around to get 1 more team in the tournament.
Get ready for the "back door" jokes.
:roll:
grindiangrad-80

elliott70 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:I can't speak for anyone else but I am fine with Amsoil. It's a great building for sectional hockey. I can't think of a better one. Sure, East has come out on top a large percentage of the time but the reality is, is that they were just a tad better most of the time.

The Injuns went to state 9 out of 10 years from 72-81. And it wasn't like they breezed through the Region 7 either. They finished
3rd in the region in 75 and went on to win state. IFalls, Virginia, Eveleth, Hibbing, Greenway and others were loaded with stars in those days. There were a ton of great players in the region tourny then.

They did not breeze through the regions. They did not even win the regions in 72 & 73, but went to state via the 'back door' in 72.
Hibbing beat GR in 73 to go to state and then they won it all. (Hibbing) I believe.
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

I agree it may be time to rotate the 7AA semis and final between Duluth and some other city (Blaine, Bemidji or St Cloud would be the logical venues). They used to rotate the games between the DECC and Hibbing Memorial Arena some 20 years ago. But I don't totally buy into "these games are rigged" theory. If the coaches or the MSHSL were rigging these tournaments it would mean the death bell for MSHSL.
puckdreams

Post by puckdreams »

hermantown2000 wrote:I agree it may be time to rotate the 7AA semis and final between Duluth and some other city (Blaine, Bemidji or St Cloud would be the logical venues). They used to rotate the games between the DECC and Hibbing Memorial Arena some 20 years ago. But I don't totally buy into "these games are rigged" theory. If the coaches or the MSHSL were rigging these tournaments it would mean the death bell for MSHSL.
Bingo - It's time!

The games are not rigged. However, the table is certainly tilted in favor of the teams afforded the advantage of their players living near the playoff venues season in and season out. It is time to rotate that advantage!
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

east hockey wrote:
puckdreams wrote:
ThePuckStopsHere wrote:What a crooked section. Randolph is laughing once again. East gets 2 cake walk wins then gets to host the section championship on home ice.

Pathetic State of Hockey.
The system is broken in 7AA. Corruption is the status quo!

UNBELIEVABLE!
Sorry Elk River couldn't get to play St Frannie, Cambridge and Andover on their road to state.

Lee
Classic East reaction.

Bottom line is East got the Number #1 seed today. If East had beaten ER two weeks ago you can bet Rapids would have been the #3 seed today.

Rapids will blow out Andover and East will blow out Cloquet showing this seeding was a total inside scam job driven by the chosen one. He knows he has total advantage at Thursday night’s game. He has the best chance at beating Rapids on Thursday night not Saturday. If you and your East alum think differently than your as stupid as the Section 7AA coaching disciples that follow the chose one.

Anyone who has been watching Section Hockey for years understands how much of a joke it is that East gets this special treatment every year.

Maybe for once Karma bits the almighty Randolph in the ass.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

I think the Russians hacked the voting.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

A wise old man once told me "come here you little son of a b***ch, I'll give you something to cry about".

Maybe you knew him too.

Stop sniveling and play the cards you dealt. Maybe be an example for the kids?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Goldyismoldy wrote:A wise old man once told me "come here you little son of a b***ch, I'll give you something to cry about".

Maybe you knew him too.

We had the same Dad?
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:
east hockey wrote:
puckdreams wrote: The system is broken in 7AA. Corruption is the status quo!

UNBELIEVABLE!
Sorry Elk River couldn't get to play St Frannie, Cambridge and Andover on their road to state.

Lee
Classic East reaction.

Bottom line is East got the Number #1 seed today. If East had beaten ER two weeks ago you can bet Rapids would have been the #3 seed today.

Rapids will blow out Andover and East will blow out Cloquet showing this seeding was a total inside scam job driven by the chosen one. He knows he has total advantage at Thursday night’s game. He has the best chance at beating Rapids on Thursday night not Saturday. If you and your East alum think differently than your as stupid as the Section 7AA coaching disciples that follow the chose one.

Anyone who has been watching Section Hockey for years understands how much of a joke it is that East gets this special treatment every year.

Maybe for once Karma bits the almighty Randolph in the ass.
Maybe if Rapids didn't tie Andover, get blown out by East, lose to Elk River, and get dismantled by Cloquet on the last meaningful game of the season they would be #3.

Their season was dwindling away at the end, and they had a terrible section record. Nothing to back them up when it came to section seeding. Section seeding is completely different than state ranking.

At least East had a good section record to back up their woes at the end of this season.

Yikes.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Goldyismoldy wrote:A wise old man once told me "come here you little son of a b***ch, I'll give you something to cry about".

Maybe you knew him too.

This isn't directed at you Goldy, but seemed like a good spot to post.

Maybe man up and look in the mirror and admit you have an advantage of home town crowd and have had several opportunities afforded to you over the years with optimal section seedings instead of denying the facts and minimizing their effect. It is called self respect which is a very important example for kids instead of feeling entitled and acting like you deserve it.

East Alum, can you really honestly say you wouldn't rather play the Jacks in the semi's than GR and don't you think the the path to the finals just a little bit easier? Doesn't is seem just a little suspect that suddenly with one signature win it puts the Jacks ahead of GR. Look back at past years and you will find the opposite rational which in past suspect seedings were because of the body of work, not the most recent results. Now that it is optimal for DE, now it is what have you done for me lately.

The ER players don't care, they are ready to play whomever, whenever and wherever. a bunch of old men debating back and forth on a blog will not change that. Words from the mouth of an ER player after hearing seedings, who cares, we are the #1 that was one of our goals, I don't care who we play we are going to kick their ...

All will play the cards they have been dealt, Look I am holding pocket aces, or am I! Let's see what the flop, turn and river bring. Maybe they hold up, maybe not! :lol:

BTW no offense to the Jacks. A lot of respect for the program and best of luck to you.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

"I'd be for having it at a neutral site but part of being in section 7 is being "up north". why would we want to give them our section tourney too?" - Quote from Houndhockey

News flash, there are more teams in section 7 south of hinkley than north of it. your section? since when did it become your section? See previous post about entitlement.