Players in Juniors after the season - Spring 2017

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gopherpuck516

Players in Juniors after the season - Spring 2017

Post by gopherpuck516 »

As is usually the case, a number of MN High School players will be (and already have been) playing juniors following their HS season. Please list the players, where they're playing, and stats if you'd like.
shooter57

Post by shooter57 »

AA state champion John Stampohar (D) of Grand Rapids heads to Fairbanks. Stampohar hopes to make an impact, like his cousin John from Hibbing did when the Ice Dogs took the Robertson Cup in 2011, as well as making his college commitment. Congrats on the state title and good luck in the future big John Stampohar!
Last edited by shooter57 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

shooter57 wrote:AA state champion John Stampohar (D) of Grand Rapids heads to Fairbanks. Stampohar hopes to make an impact, like his cousin John from Hibbing did when the Ice Dogs took the Robertson Cup in 2011, as well as making his college commitment. Congrats on the state title and good luck in the future big John Stampohar!
Thanks for the update dad. :roll:
shooter57

Post by shooter57 »

hadenuf wrote:
shooter57 wrote:AA state champion John Stampohar (D) of Grand Rapids heads to Fairbanks. Stampohar hopes to make an impact, like his cousin John from Hibbing did when the Ice Dogs took the Robertson Cup in 2011, as well as making his college commitment. Congrats on the state title and good luck in the future big John Stampohar!
Thanks for the update dad. :roll:
Not dad but proud of the kid and the THUNDERHAWKS. bitter about something there?
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Something I have always wondered: how is it that high school kids can just take off and play junior hockey? What about school?
hockeygoof1

Post by hockeygoof1 »

[quote="Joe2015"]Something I have always wondered: how is it that high school kids can just take off and play junior hockey? What about school?[/quote]

C'mon, Joe, we're talking about hockey now. What good could school possibly do when we're talking hockey?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Joe2015 wrote:Something I have always wondered: how is it that high school kids can just take off and play junior hockey? What about school?
I thought they lived with host families and went to school at that location.
shooter57

Post by shooter57 »

my understanding is classes are continued online while away and yeah players stay with billet families.
boblee

Post by boblee »

From Grand Rapids:
John Stampohar - Fairbanks (NAHL)
Micah Miller - Sioux City (USHL)
Gavin Hain - Sioux Falls (USHL)
Zach Stejskal - Bloomington (USHL)
Blake McLaughlin - Chicago Steel (USHL)

*I can't 100% confirm they are all doing the "after" but it looks like it.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

What most of the kids do in the "after", is drive down for the games.
They aren't down there Monday-Thursday. Very few practices if any. They attend school at their Minnesota High Schools. Like Fast Times at Ridgemount High...."he goes to school here?..I thought he just showed up for games..." GB
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

shooter57 wrote:my understanding is classes are continued online while away and yeah players stay with billet families.
Correct. There are entire companies who's sole function is online classes for athletes.
grindiangrad-80

I see CM is back on the roster for the Green Bay Gamblers. I may have to catch a game or two.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

GoldenBear wrote:What most of the kids do in the "after", is drive down for the games.
They aren't down there Monday-Thursday. Very few practices if any. They attend school at their Minnesota High Schools. Like Fast Times at Ridgemount High...."he goes to school here?..I thought he just showed up for games..." GB
I thought it was "flew in"?

Classic!
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

MRDangles: You are correct. my memory isn't the way it used to be. Yes, "flew in" is the correct quote. GB
lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 »

It should be fun to watch Hain and Miller on the opposite sides of the bench come the last weekend of the reg. season when Sioux Falls takes on Sioux City.
grindiangrad-80

lamplighter98 wrote:It should be fun to watch Hain and Miller on the opposite sides of the bench come the last weekend of the reg. season when Sioux Falls takes on Sioux City.
I think Hain and McClaughlins teams play each other in Chicago Friday night also. I have no idea if either will be there this weekend or not though.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
shooter57 wrote:my understanding is classes are continued online while away and yeah players stay with billet families.
Correct. There are entire companies who's sole function is online classes for athletes.
I am sure this has been discussed. If one of these kids who is a junior goes to an after program and plays and he changes to an online high school to finish off the year. Does that count as changing schools? Does he get nicked by that lose a year deal or is this online school a neutral deal?

Or does his hme school provide him with online learning classes?
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

Wet Paint wrote:
I am sure this has been discussed. If one of these kids who is a junior goes to an after program and plays and he changes to an online high school to finish off the year. Does that count as changing schools? Does he get nicked by that lose a year deal or is this online school a neutral deal?

Don't know. Anyone ?
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

Wet Paint wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: Correct. There are entire companies who's sole function is online classes for athletes.

Don't know. Anyone ?
In regards to a transfer ruling? It is out of state, so my assumption would be he could then enroll back in MN High School and play his Sr year.
Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger »

They don't officially change schools.

Here is how they do it:

1. They stay in school during the week and go down on weekends

2. They correspond with their teachers at the current hs through email to keep up on work and assignments and take tests when they are home.

3. Some schools have it set up where they can still be enrolled at the school and complete their work online
BP

Post by BP »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I see CM is back on the roster for the Green Bay Gamblers. I may have to catch a game or two.

That must've been some great treatment after the 3rd place game on Saturday. I kid, I kid. Too easy to not go past that without a comment.
grindiangrad-80

BP wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:I see CM is back on the roster for the Green Bay Gamblers. I may have to catch a game or two.

That must've been some great treatment after the 3rd place game on Saturday. I kid, I kid. Too easy to not go past that without a comment.
He has had an unbelievable career so far and his upside is off the charts. He realistically came within an eyelash of making it back to the finals last weekend. That's an enormous accomplishment given the competition he played against all year. I would bet that if has a great college and NHL career he may never feel the amount of pressure he did this year. Minnesota hockey is that huge.

He should be able to look back and have nothing but good memories and no regrets.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

USHL:

Ryan Sandelin, Bloomington
Zach Stejskal, Bloomington
Josh Ess, Cedar Rapids
Blake McLaughlin, Chicago
Colin Baird, Des Moines
Ben Meyers, Fargo
Casey Mittelstadt, Green Bay
Matt Anderson, Green Bay
Sam Walker, Lincoln
Noah Cates, Omaha
Micah Miller, Sioux City
Gavin Hain, Sioux Falls
Ian Mageau, Waterloo
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

NAHL:

Nolan Sullivan, Aberdeen
Matt Fitzgerald, Aberdeen
Kyle Looft, Austin
Keaton Pehrson, Austin
Alex Pollock, Bismarck
Roman Ahcan, Brookings
Matt Dahlseide, Brookings
Jake Begley, Brookings
Bauer Neudecker, Fairbanks
John Stampohar, Fairbanks
Benton Maass, Fairbanks
Luke Manning, Minot
Sam Huff, Minot
John Keranen, MN Magicians
Mitch Machlitt, MN Magicians
Jarrett Lee, MN Magicians
Nick Michel, MN Wilderness
Will Zmolek, MN Wilderness
Bob Parenteau, MN Wilderness
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

MrBoDangles wrote:
GoldenBear wrote:What most of the kids do in the "after", is drive down for the games.
I thought it was "flew in"?

Classic!
Forest Whitaker
Be kind. Rewind.