Rosters

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MWS coach

Re: Rosters

Post by MWS coach »

Keep in mind that players are scouted all year long, not just the HS season or elite league. U14-U16 games in the spring/fall as well as HP events, especially nationals are very well attended by many scouts.

Sure making an impact at state is going to help a players interest rise, but I don't think there is any direct correlation to players making it to state to be recruited. IMHO it only one component of how many D1 commits a team has as it relates to if a team makes it to state or not. Sure a loaded LVN team with many commits is obvious, but as pointed out, how many FEAST players were D1 commits on last years state team. This is exacerbated by early commits.
That guy for that thing

Re: Rosters

Post by That guy for that thing »

BP wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 am
That guy for that thing wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 am
muckandgrinder65 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:58 pm Which currently rated top 4 team in MN HS AA has fewest college commits?
Only 2 for this team.
HMMM-
Would this change if they go to state?
Does team/program pedigree really matter?
1 Tonka - 4 commits
I think going to state will add maybe 1 more commit.

2 Edina - 5 Commits
Again, I think going to state will add maybe 1 more commit.

3 Andover - 2 Commits
This is where it gets tricky because only DE on Andover gets to go, unlike above where both can, and have made it, the same year.
I think going to state for these guys would add at least 2 if not more commits. This team has never been to state with these kids, so it will be a great experience for them, and a great opportunity for some big spotlight visibility.

4 Duluth East - 0 commits
I would really hope state would give them some commits. Not sure what is going on with Donovan, but they have too many good seniors and juniors to not get at least 1 out of a trip. But at the same time, they only added 1 commit after last years championship run, and it was Worth who seems to be in a weird spot right now.

5 St. Thomas - 1 commit
Again, with a lower number of commits, a trip to state would be beneficial, but I think they would need a run towards the championship to have the most effect.

6 Maple Grove - 5 commits
Again, I think going to state will add maybe 1 more commit.

I added STA and Maple Grove because I think they should be tied with DE rankings-wise, and they have good numbers for this discussion.

I don't think the pedigree of a team effects this, but visibility is key. STA is confusing why they have such a low number, but DE makes a bit more sense. The best time to scout anybody near Duluth is when a team is playing UMD, or when they travel down to the cities. UMD seems to like Hermantown players, and it makes sense as Sandelin lives in HT and his kids played there. It means that DE kids need to go elsewhere for the time being, but maybe that will change, who knows. I think Andover has the most room to grow in this category though. A relatively new face to the state discussion, and as they keep making noise, they will only grow their visibility and experience.

Does it help going to state for some kids - yes. But these top teams have scouts/coaches at a ton of games all year long and have a ton of exposure. It helps the smaller teams who have lesser viewings - like a lot of the A teams.
There is a big difference between playing a game at your rink or their rink, and playing a game at a sold out X on Saturday night. The pressure of a big situation makes some kids crack and others step up. I think if a team is watching a kid and the kid flops in high pressure situation, that kid is less likely to get an offer, where as someone who thrives in big games and high pressure situations will get one. Sometimes those kids that thrive are not the first line stars, and the kids that flop are.