Women coaches

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Women coaches

Post by j4241 »

I think it is such a great benchmark of progress in the women's game that top programs are choosing women as their head coaches. These women serve as role models and offer such a contrast to men, many of whom are still using shame-centered approaches to teaching and connect so much less effectively with female players. Given how many really talented coaches are out there on the girls side, many trained by Winny at OS, it is increasingly seeming like an intentional tilt against the tide by those schools that are choosing to hire (or even keep) men as head coaches (much less dads... but that's a whole other can of worms). Congrats to Minnetonka, Wayzata, Stillwater and White Bear Lake, not to mention past success stories like Edina and Andover. That's obviously not exhaustive - those are just the ones I know off the top of my head - I'm sure there are many. There should be more.
ShakestheClown

Re: Women coaches

Post by ShakestheClown »

I agree with you on many points, but not the shame-centered approach. I have yet to see a male coach use that method with a women or girls team.

FWIW, Hibbing, D. Marshall, Hermantown, and Cloquet are all section 7A teams coached by women.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Thanks for filling in some other examples - that's terrific!

I'm glad to hear you've had good luck with coaches. I agree that shaming is not a characteristic of every male coach - it's just much more common in men than women, in my experience. I've seen more examples than I wish I had, and one would have been more than enough.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Wow, talk about gender stereotyping. Isn't that the type of thing we're trying to avoid? Inclusion fits for some things I guess.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

On reflection, you’re right. I should have ended with the positive statement about women getting coaching opportunities. My experiences with coaches does not justify that sweeping a generalization. I apologize if I offended anyone.